\m/(~_~)\m/ Bring the Metal! \m/(~_~)\m/

Current playlist:

Burial Invocation - Abiogenesis

On Heavy Blog's monthly death metal column, there were two releases that they had beating out the wonderful Anachronism album for the month's top spots. These first two playlist items are them. First one is Burial Invocation, a Turkish band who had only released an EP (8 years ago!) before this debut full-length release. And it's superb. It takes the familiar sounds of old school death metal, and plays them in long, sprawling songs that move seamlessly through a lot of themes and riffs, avoiding repetition but also avoiding prog-metal wankery along the way as well. It's more like 8 albums worth of great death metal ideas spent on one album. I guess that's why it took 8 years?

Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury

Here's the other one Heavy Blog gave the nod to, and it's very different from the last one. Exclaim describes it, "as though Deathspell Omega joined up with Ornette Coleman and Thelonious Monk." I'd throw John Zorn in there too, which isn't surprising, as the band's drummer plays in other groups with Zorn. I'd describe it as along similar lines as Pyrrhon and Gorguts, except perhaps even less firmly grounded in metal.

Mantar - The Modern Art of Setting Ablaze

I love Mantar's singular obsession with fire. Their first album was "Death by Burning", the next one "Ode to the Flame", and now this one. In one song, they reference Robert Frost's "Fire and Ice" poem, and leave out the ice part: "some people say the world will end in fire... so do I". Mantar loves fire like stoner metal bands love weed.

Musically, it's very similar to their last album, maybe not quite as immediate and ultimately I'm not sure it will be as impactful (though that's a high mark to live up to, because Ode to the Flame was f*cking brilliant and you should have it). It's still searing, aggressive, and catchy. The music video above is also a pretty accurate representation of the duo on stage: the two members facing each other, not the audience, and bringing so much straining energy that you wonder how they survive their sets.

Black Sabbath - Volume 4

You guys ever heard of this? It's pretty good.

Heavy Blog is Heavy wrote:

The project is relatively simple: it’s just clips from Alex Jones’ InfoWars show about aliens and world governments played over death metal riffs.

(...)

It’s like if Randy Quaid’s character from Independence Day had a metal band

Vola is a band that continually pops up for me on Spotify. They're one of those combo bands that are somewhat prog, somewhat djent (okay, a lot djent), somewhat alternative metal , somewhat etc.

garion333 wrote:

awesome new Ocean song

YES, SIR!

Also, whoa clean singing.

Yeah, I'm actually a bit bummed that the singing is the highlight of the song for me. He's clearly not afraid to try things others wouldn't. Such a strange singer, glad they stuck with him through the criticism.

garion333 wrote:

Vola is a band that continually pops up for me on Spotify. They're one of those combo bands that are somewhat prog, somewhat djent (okay, a lot djent), somewhat alternative metal , somewhat etc.

Yes! Vola rules! I loved their last disc, can't wait for the new one.

Well, that's something. It'll be December 2019...

The Rivers of Nihil album still hasn't won me over, but this music video has:

Djenty instrumental prog metal stuff

garion333 wrote:

Djenty instrumental prog metal stuff

This is so far up my alley I don't even know.

Some older and newer sh*t I’ve been digging:

Totally off any topic, I still have a problem deciding whether Cannibal Corpse is a humorous band fallen into self parody after the 2nd album, or if they might be taking the music seriously. Not that they are killers or anything, just that they think their music is to be taken seriously.

MaxShrek wrote:

Totally off any topic, I still have a problem deciding whether Cannibal Corpse is a humorous band fallen into self parody after the 2nd album, or if they might be taking the music seriously. Not that they are killers or anything, just that they think their music is to be taken seriously.

Never have perceived them as taking themselves seriously in that regard. From interviews and having had the chance to speak to them a couple of times when they've been in town, the subject matter has never been something any of the band remark upon as to be taken seriously. It's fiction with plenty of tongue in cheek humor, much like gore cinema, where horror appears to meet slapstick more often than not.

Just checking.

Pretty sure I posted this at the time, but Revocation did an AMA on Reddit in 2016 as publicity for Great Is Our Sin. Here was my question and their answer to it:

Fedaykin98 • 2y
When are y'all doing a full album of Lovecraft-inspired tunes?

5
RevocationOfficial • 2y
The thought has crossed my mind before haha

Well, The Outer Ones, a full album of Lovecraft-inspired tunes, drops September 28! Their tour starts today, so check them out! I've seen them twice live and they rocked the house both times.

Looking forward to the album. Heavy Blog raved about it. Their reviewer called it a top 10 album of the year and said it's possibly their best ever.

Current playlist:

Thou - Magus

Three EPs in a few months prior is a hell of a build-up to a new album. And now it's here, and it's a big one. 75 minutes, damn. It's not like their EPs nor exactly like their other recent albums. Go into this one expecting sludgy doom, without some of the faster bits you got in Heathen. It's good, from top to bottom, even if it's challenging to take as a whole. This plus Rhea Sylvia have Thou quickly rising on my scrobbled artist playcounts.

Ancestors - Suspended in Reflections

One for the clean vocal crowd! Pink Floyd inspired stoner/doom metal. Slow and spacey. The album feels a lot longer than the 36 minutes it is. Not a lot of immediate impact, but more enjoyable after a few listens.

Morne - To the Night Unknown

Crusty, atmospheric doom. Definitely some Cult of Luna post-metal in there.

Old Man Gloom - NO

So next month, I am (probably) going to the Caleb Scofield benefit Cave-In / Isis reunion / Old Man Gloom / Pelican show in LA. So I'm going back through those discographies and listening to all their main albums. Of course, the Aaron Turner bands in that group are the big draws for me, and while I have explored the Isis catalog thoroughly over the years, there's a lot of Old Man Gloom that I haven't listened to much, and a bunch of earlier stuff I haven't listened to at all. So I'm listening to NO now and probably Ape of God next, and going backwards from there.

If you enjoy black metal, you owe it to yourself to check out Ultha:

They've got a new album coming out on October 5th, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Legion, I know you're a Krallice fan (as am I) - have you heard Anicon? These guys have the drummer from Krallice and the bassist from Yellow Eyes. And they are great.

d4m0 wrote:

Legion, I know you're a Krallice fan (as am I) - have you heard Anicon? These guys have the drummer from Krallice and the bassist from Yellow Eyes. And they are great.

I have not, but along with loving Krallice, I really, really loved the Yellow Eyes album from last year. I have enjoyed pretty much all of the "six degrees of Lev Weinstein" bands I've listened to. I will check them out.

We were just discussing Jo Bench recently:

https://www.npr.org/2017/09/25/55313...

Glen Danzig is a real asshat.

I have a friend from high school who has music industry connections. When we were in high school together we were both obsessed with The Misfits and Samhain. She was pen pals with Eerie Von back then. As you probably know, Eerie was the bassist for Danzig (the band), and Samhain. He was also a friend and photographer of The Misfits. During the height of Danzig (the band) popularity in the early to mid 90s she also became friends with Chuck Biscuits.

A few years ago, my friend told me that Glen Danzig was going to have the first 4 Danzig records re-recorded with studio musicians. This was done to cut the former band members off from any and all of the royalties that they were receiving. My opinion was that you couldn’t replicate John Christ’s guitar playing and that the fans would never go for it. Her opinion was that the studio guitarist would do a close enough approximation so that the difference wouldn’t be noticeable.

She’s right, that most fans won’t notice the difference. But I do. Those albums are ruined for me now. Not just because the nuances of John Christ’s guitar playing are gone, but also because it represents a dastardly move from Glen to screw those guys out of their dough.

I thought that I could go on YouTube and listen to the original vinyl to get that sweet John Christ guitar playing in my earholes. Nope. The only recordings available are from Glen Danzig’s own YouTube channel. And of course he’s only made the re-recordings available.

Also, Samhain is gone from Apple Music. WTF? I’m afraid to listen to The Misfits on Apple Music. I will probably discover that it’s also been re-recorded.

RawkGWJ wrote:

Glen Danzig is a real asshat.

I have a friend from high school who has music industry connections. When we were in high school together we were both obsessed with The Misfits and Samhain. She was pen pals with Eerie Von back then. As you probably know, Eerie was the bassist for Danzig (the band), and Samhain. He was also a friend and photographer of The Misfits. During the height of Danzig (the band) popularity in the early to mid 90s she also became friends with Chuck Biscuits.

A few years ago, my friend told me that Glen Danzig was going to have the first 4 Danzig records re-recorded with studio musicians. This was done to cut the former band members off from any and all of the royalties that they were receiving. My opinion was that you couldn’t replicate John Christ’s guitar playing and that the fans would never go for it. Her opinion was that the studio guitarist would do a close enough approximation so that the difference wouldn’t be noticeable.

She’s right, that most fans won’t notice the difference. But I do. Those albums are ruined for me now. Not just because the nuances of John Christ’s guitar playing are gone, but also because it represents a dastardly move from Glen to screw those guys out of their dough.

I thought that I could go on YouTube and listen to the original vinyl to get that sweet John Christ guitar playing in my earholes. Nope. The only recordings available are from Glen Danzig’s own YouTube channel. And of course he’s only made the re-recordings available.

Also, Samhain is gone from Apple Music. WTF? I’m afraid to listen to The Misfits on Apple Music. I will probably discover that it’s also been re-recorded.

I've never heard anything about this. Everything seems to be the original version. Spotify only has the original albums, etc, no rereleases.

I remember seeing an interview with John Christ within the last year saying he'd be willing to tour with Danzig again, seems weird he would do that if he was getting screwed out of royalties.

Well, good thing i still have all my original CDs I guess.

I'm not seeing any reference online to the albums getting re-recorded either.

Interesting. Maybe I’m crazy. Maybe Glen never went through with the re-recording.

I really do feel that the digital streaming versions sound different. Most likely I’m mistaken about that. But maybe I’m not. I listened to those records over and over through the years. I really don’t think that I’m imagining them sounding different.

It’s sort of like the Master of Puppets remaster. Though it definitely sounds better than the original mix, I’d heard those flawed recordings countless times over the years. Now when I hear the new versions it sounds strange. It sounds too good.

They were probably remastered when re-released. Edit: Or this.

The whole re-recording sounds like something he may have said, but never went through with.

New revocation

I'm so tired of Revocation videos, just drop the damn album already!

garion333 wrote:

They were probably remastered when re-released. Edit: Or this.

The whole re-recording sounds like something he may have said, but never went through with.

the only time i remember there being any talk of re-recording without the original band (including 1-4) was when he was having issues with getting the masters back from Rick Rubin. But that was early 2000's i think.

*Legion* wrote:

I'm so tired of Revocation videos, just drop the damn album already!

They had it for sale last Friday, and I'm sadly so digital that I just thought "if I buy this I'll be paying money to have to rip it and then copy it to some phone app that I never use...or I can just wait and listen on Spotify on Friday."

Hey, I have like 3.5 hours of driving for work on Friday! Great timing!