Non-game Android Apps Recommendations Catch-All

Nevin73 wrote:

So does anyone have any idea when HBO Go will work with ICS?

The reviews on Google Play seem to say that it did as of the May 4 update.

Spunior wrote:

So, since I'm pretty new to the world of Android: what's everybody's current go-to security program to locate your device in case it gets lost or stolen? I've seen recommendations for Phone Locator and the reviews seem fine, but there's an abundance of similar tools out there. Do they have any significant impact on the energy consumption of the phone when active?

Also, if you're a somewhat tech-savvy user, is it still necessary to install an anti-avirus app?

Thanks in advance!

SeekDroid is the one I use, in conjunction with LookOut. The latter is an anti-virus solution that's never given me problems, and SeekDroid is really, really easy to use. It has a nice web interface and allows remote wipe, location, phone ringtone activation, etc. It's $2.99 on the Play store, though I think I picked it up through the Amazon Appstore for free awhile back.

ilduce620 wrote:
Spunior wrote:

So, since I'm pretty new to the world of Android: what's everybody's current go-to security program to locate your device in case it gets lost or stolen? I've seen recommendations for Phone Locator and the reviews seem fine, but there's an abundance of similar tools out there. Do they have any significant impact on the energy consumption of the phone when active?

Also, if you're a somewhat tech-savvy user, is it still necessary to install an anti-avirus app?

Thanks in advance!

SeekDroid is the one I use, in conjunction with LookOut. The latter is an anti-virus solution that's never given me problems, and SeekDroid is really, really easy to use. It has a nice web interface and allows remote wipe, location, phone ringtone activation, etc. It's $2.99 on the Play store, though I think I picked it up through the Amazon Appstore for free awhile back.

I too have SeekDroid, though I've never used it. So I have no idea if it actually works.

I have "Honey can you call my phone?" It is a nice app. I have also used Google voice to call my phone when my wife was not around.

I don't know if this should be in game or non-game (so I'll do both!). Official Xbox Live app

Nevin73 wrote:
ilduce620 wrote:
Spunior wrote:

So, since I'm pretty new to the world of Android: what's everybody's current go-to security program to locate your device in case it gets lost or stolen? I've seen recommendations for Phone Locator and the reviews seem fine, but there's an abundance of similar tools out there. Do they have any significant impact on the energy consumption of the phone when active?

Also, if you're a somewhat tech-savvy user, is it still necessary to install an anti-avirus app?

Thanks in advance!

SeekDroid is the one I use, in conjunction with LookOut. The latter is an anti-virus solution that's never given me problems, and SeekDroid is really, really easy to use. It has a nice web interface and allows remote wipe, location, phone ringtone activation, etc. It's $2.99 on the Play store, though I think I picked it up through the Amazon Appstore for free awhile back.

I too have SeekDroid, though I've never used it. So I have no idea if it actually works.

I haven't lost my phone, but I've tested the GPS functionality and phone ring tone stuff before. Seems to work pretty well. Last I checked, you could even type a message to display on the screen so you can give the person who finds it information on whose it is (or yell at the dick who stole it from you).

ilduce620 wrote:
Spunior wrote:

So, since I'm pretty new to the world of Android: what's everybody's current go-to security program to locate your device in case it gets lost or stolen? I've seen recommendations for Phone Locator and the reviews seem fine, but there's an abundance of similar tools out there. Do they have any significant impact on the energy consumption of the phone when active?

Also, if you're a somewhat tech-savvy user, is it still necessary to install an anti-avirus app?

Thanks in advance!

SeekDroid is the one I use, in conjunction with LookOut. The latter is an anti-virus solution that's never given me problems, and SeekDroid is really, really easy to use. It has a nice web interface and allows remote wipe, location, phone ringtone activation, etc. It's $2.99 on the Play store, though I think I picked it up through the Amazon Appstore for free awhile back.

Same for me.

Forgot I even had seek droid. Glad this topic came up. Hadn't reinstalled it on my new phone yet.

Looking for a good (free) current weather app. I don't need a forecast, I just want to see what Temp/Humidity it is currently. Multiple location support would be nice too. Doesn't have to be a full app, a widget would would work beautifully. The default one on my DX does well for the Temp but, doesn't do humidity.

I like Weatherbug for a full app. I paid for the "Elite" version and I guess I also got it at some point from the Amazon app of the day, but I think the free version is the same just with ads. Otherwise I'd look at either Beautiful Widgets or the new hotness, HD Widgets.

LiquidMantis wrote:

I like Weatherbug for a full app. I paid for the "Elite" version and I guess I also got it at some point from the Amazon app of the day, but I think the free version is the same just with ads. Otherwise I'd look at either Beautiful Widgets or the new hotness, HD Widgets.

The free versions has less widget options. I think it's the wide forecast widget you lose. My wife has free, and I have the full from the Amazon free app deal.

Has anyone found a decent IMAP client with an updated ICS-style GUI? I've been using K-9 since forever, and it still works well enough, but it's never been terribly attractive and it's much less so now in comparison to other apps on my Galaxy Nexus. The stock client looks fine, but lacks the all-important IMAP idle support that K-9 has for push IMAP.

If you're annoyed by apps that are rather nosy even if it's not really necessary, but don't want to root your device: One of the bigger German IT magazines mentioned AppGuard today.

The SRT AppGuard is an innovative Android application that raises the security on Android devices. Your smartphone contains several personal data that should not be given to third parties. This includes your personal contacts and calendar entries, but also business documents and confidential email correspondences that must not fall into wrong hands. The SRT AppGuard helps you to protect your personal data from unauthorized access.

The SRT AppGuard enables you to monitor an application and to change the permissions of this application after its installation. Thereby, you can for example prevent that an application gets access to your contact list or accesses the Internet.

It's based on this approach. I've tried it out and it seems that I was indeed able to run the Facebook app (which I had never used) on my GNex without it crapping into or accessing my contact list. Didn't initially launch after being modified, but worked when I tried it again.

Requires Android 3.0 or higher at this point, but they're currently working on a Gingerbread port.

Spunior wrote:

If you're annoyed by apps that are rather nosy even if it's not really necessary, but don't want to root your device: One of the bigger German IT magazines mentioned AppGuard today.

The SRT AppGuard is an innovative Android application that raises the security on Android devices. Your smartphone contains several personal data that should not be given to third parties. This includes your personal contacts and calendar entries, but also business documents and confidential email correspondences that must not fall into wrong hands. The SRT AppGuard helps you to protect your personal data from unauthorized access.

The SRT AppGuard enables you to monitor an application and to change the permissions of this application after its installation. Thereby, you can for example prevent that an application gets access to your contact list or accesses the Internet.

It's based on this approach. I've tried it out and it seems that I was indeed able to run the Facebook app (which I had never used) on my GNex without it crapping into or accessing my contact list. Didn't initially launch after being modified, but worked when I tried it again.

Requires Android 3.0 or higher at this point, but they're currently working on a Gingerbread port.

Can't be installed in my country. Blech.

Bah. I was not aware of any regional restrictions.

Strangely enough, AppGuard--which based on a university project, btw.--has been pulled from Google Play now. It's been available since late March if the press release on the official website is correct. Must be somehow related to the sudden wave of popularity/attention after said article. No idea of it was the devs or Google to do so.

So yeah, looks like it got removed by Google. Apparently, they devs are now in talks with Google about getting it back into the Play store. Until then, the APK file is available directly here. Please note: Once you 'modify' an app via AppGuard, it's not being updated the traditional way anymore. You'll have to remove it, install the latest version and run that through AppGuard again.

Anybody on Gingerbread that would like to have the Ice Cream Sandwich look should check out Holo Launcher. I finally got around to moving to CM 7.3 today on my Evo 4G and decided to try this instead of Launcher Pro, which had been going flaky on my phone for awhile.

So far so good. Looks nice, seems pretty stable, and gives most if not more customizations than Launcher Pro did. I might just have to buy the "Pro" version to give the Dev some money. Looks like the things Pro gives you are minimal, but I guess it would be nice to have the mail/msg count on icons again.

There are a couple of other ICS launchers, but most didn't look like they'd work on Gingerbread.

Also, if anybody else is still running and EVO and has flaky GPS, there's a driver floating around on XDA that made mine work much better (so far).

Trying to decide what to do for a phone and a carrier. I think I'm eligible to upgrade, but Sprint's service, which used to be very good, has gotten very spotty around here. I know they're upgrading Atlanta soon to their new stuff (LTE and upgraded towers). Not sure when they'll hit TN.

I'd probably go for the GSIII for the phone, but I really don't want blue or white very much.

I guess if I can't decide for a bit, I could even see what Win Phone 8 actually looks like. I've been fascinated by what they're doing, but the small market share concerns me for app support. I guess with apps being easy to port between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 with the new kernel, it might work out, but it will still probably take a year or so to ramp up.

MannishBoy wrote:

Anybody on Gingerbread that would like to have the Ice Cream Sandwich look should check out Holo Launcher. I finally got around to moving to CM 7.3 today on my Evo 4G and decided to try this instead of Launcher Pro, which had been going flaky on my phone for awhile.

Cool. I've been bored with my stock HTC Sense launcher for awhile but hadn't found a good replacement. I'll give this a shot!

I've been using Apex Launcher for a few days based on Asz's recommendation and found it an equally satisfying replacement. He says Apex's free version has features that Holo wants you to pay for, so they might both be worth considering.

General Crespin wrote:

I've been using Apex Launcher for a few days based on Asz's recommendation and found it an equally satisfying replacement. He says Apex's free version has features that Holo wants you to pay for, so they might both be worth considering.

That one requires ICS. I'm still on GB.

Whoops, skimmed your post, sorry.

pneuman wrote:

Has anyone found a decent IMAP client with an updated ICS-style GUI? I've been using K-9 since forever, and it still works well enough, but it's never been terribly attractive and it's much less so now in comparison to other apps on my Galaxy Nexus. The stock client looks fine, but lacks the all-important IMAP idle support that K-9 has for push IMAP.

I've moved from K-9 over to MailDroid, which has IMAP idle support. The full version is expensive ($18), but I have found the free version quite capable.

zipperlips wrote:
pneuman wrote:

Has anyone found a decent IMAP client with an updated ICS-style GUI? I've been using K-9 since forever, and it still works well enough, but it's never been terribly attractive and it's much less so now in comparison to other apps on my Galaxy Nexus. The stock client looks fine, but lacks the all-important IMAP idle support that K-9 has for push IMAP.

I've moved from K-9 over to MailDroid, which has IMAP idle support. The full version is expensive ($18), but I have found the free version quite capable.

I used Enhanced Email for awhile when I needed Exchange access and the HTC email app didn't work. Looks like it's still getting updates including the dev talking about moving to the ICS code base (not sure if that's done or not). You can get a trial here.

Tried MailDroid over the couple of days. There is no denying it's slick. Rich-text emails composition, rules, and filters definitely give it a leg up on K9. However, $18 price tag is just insane.

$18 for something you use constantly for years at a time seems like a non-issue. I've paid $60 for crap games that I only used for 10 hours or so.

Edwin wrote:

$18 for something you use constantly for years at a time seems like a non-issue. I've paid $60 for crap games that I only used for 10 hours minutes or so.

Fixed that for Myself.

So while on vacation, I was bummed that I couldn't use wi-fi on my wife's tablet to watch a video. So on whim I searched the Google Play store for a wi-fi hotspot app. Sure enough, I tried out the SVTP Wifi Hotspot Lite version and it worked. I bought the Pro ($15) and used it throughout the week. Verizon hasn't shut me down yet, though I won't be using it that often. Does anyone else have any experiences with these hotspot apps through the app stores?

I thought most of the wifi hotspots required root? I haven't rooted my new phone yet so haven't tried any.

My phone does it natively, although I usually use Bluetooth tethering instead. I didn't think you could buy apps in any of the app stores to do that... as Stele says, I thought they required root privileges.

Nope, at least a few don't require root. You can buy apps that require root in the store as well.