Non-game Android Apps Recommendations Catch-All

MannishBoy wrote:
Bill_Lewis wrote:

anyone running an antivirus or malware protection? I've been seeing lot's of that's in the news and want to protect my phone.

I run the free version of Lookout, as much for the other features as the anti-malware.

Just downloaded this. I watched the video and I'm already feel safe. Thanks for the help.

My only problem with Lookout was the noticeable battery drain it had on my phone.

Then again -- you could replace "Lookout" there with literally any program. So I suppose I shouldn't whine. because really -- what's the point of having a phone if you don't use it?

Yeah, I'm starting to notice the drain in battery life. But I don't think it's that bad.

Lester_King wrote:

How's the Triumph?

I'm fighting the temptation to purchase one.

So far I think it will be great, but they have a couple issues they need to work out (which is unsurprising, what with the new hardware and all). The reception isn't great and Motorola is working on a patch, but there's also issues with 3G data disconnects that seem to be more systemic within VM right now, as my wife's LG Optimus V is also having those problems. So, maybe wait for 1.1?

Has anyone used the ESPN radio app?

Just replaced the old and tired iPhone 3g with a Galaxy S2. Think have covered most of what I was using for apps on the iphone, with one exception. Anyone use a good internet radio player that has a built in sleep timer? I used Wunder Radio on the iphone, but am not sure I want to pay for it again if there is a better alternative.

Infyrnos wrote:

Just replaced the old and tired iPhone 3g with a Galaxy S2. Think have covered most of what I was using for apps on the iphone, with one exception. Anyone use a good internet radio player that has a built in sleep timer? I used Wunder Radio on the iphone, but am not sure I want to pay for it again if there is a better alternative.

Tune In Radio Pro does. Not sure about the free version.

Not a recommendation. I got it on a free Amazon deal, but have rarely used it, so have no real opinion.

MannishBoy wrote:
Infyrnos wrote:

Just replaced the old and tired iPhone 3g with a Galaxy S2. Think have covered most of what I was using for apps on the iphone, with one exception. Anyone use a good internet radio player that has a built in sleep timer? I used Wunder Radio on the iphone, but am not sure I want to pay for it again if there is a better alternative.

Tune In Radio Pro does. Not sure about the free version.

Not a recommendation. I got it on a free Amazon deal, but have rarely used it, so have no real opinion.

Thanks! Nothing beats falling asleep to bbc world service~

Lester_King wrote:
Minarchist wrote:
Edwin wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

So, I just rooted my new Motorola Triumph.

....now what?

The one from Virgin Mobile? Can you share the link on how?

I think the same way as usual: Gingerbreak. Just make sure USB debugging is on and you have a mounted microSD, 'twas the height of simplicity. Did it while I was on the can. Gingerbreak installs SuperUser by itself, so you don't have to worry about doing that. But here's a more step-by-step guide, if you want it.

Has anyone messed around with ROMs much? I'm on Froyo (2.2), but Android 3.1 adds native FLAC support, which is super tempting. Anyone have recommendations as to where and how to pick up something like that? Or warnings away from it?

How's the Triumph?

I'm fighting the temptation to purchase one.

There's a couple of guys currently trying to get everything on the Triumph running with CyanogenMod, once they get 3G working it'll be tempting.

Quick feature check, I can't figure this out but does anybody have a way to use "Call Phones" from Gmail chat on the Android? I use this thing all the time, much better than Skype quality. It'd be nice if I could actually use it on Android. Or an equivalently good VOIP service. Most free VOIP services I've tried suck out loud. Even the paid ones kinda suck.

Not free, and occasionally sucky, but I use Groove IP for my VOIP. I don't have reliable cell service in my apartment, but I do have a good internet connection. It uses your google voice number.

Tanglebones wrote:

Not free, and occasionally sucky, but I use Groove IP for my VOIP. I don't have reliable cell service in my apartment, but I do have a good internet connection. It uses your google voice number.

+1 I too use Groove IP for my voip. it is not perfect but works. Mine has a problem where it doesn't lock the screen while talking so I have to be careful not to hang up the phone with my cheek etc.

How do you go about setting up SIP with GoogleTalk?

Doesn't Google Voice make calls over the data connection?

I only use it for the free visual voice mail and free text messages because I have a ridiculous amount of daytime minutes I got signing up on a special deal with newegg.

To my knowledge Google Voice does not make calls over data, or at least I have not found the option in the Google Voice app. I use an app called Groove IP to make my data only calls on a phone that does not have a any cell plan (an old OG Droid) I am in the boat where I never get near my minute cap so I don't bother with Groove IP on my everyday phone. Before Groove IP I setup a whole system with Sipdroid and Google Voice Callback over Gizmo5 but then they canned Gizmo5 and it was a pain to setup not to mention it was not very reliable either where Groove IP just works.

No, Google Voice doesn't make calls over data.

Gingerbread has a SIP phone built in now. But it only can call other SIP phones. Haven't tried it yet. Waiting on a co-worker to see if he can attach his ATA at home AND his phone to the same SIP account and have both ring. I know that's what GV does, there is just something about GV that make's me uneasy.

I'd like to toss in another recommendation for MIUI (I did one a while ago). It's grown a lot lately and it's got some real polish behind it now. The aesthetic is the main draw, I suppose, but it's got a pretty sizable theming database, and this is what I've gotten mine to look like (built-in screen capture, yay):

IMAGE(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23424069/Screenshots/20110828_225735.jpg)

Its default browser is now based on the Miren browser discussed earlier in this thread, except it's not a power draw, and it works really well with the ROM (as should be expected). Lastly, they've finally gotten to a Stable release version, so there's some incentive for the rooters out there that for some reason like stability.

Ah, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the lovely file browser that's built right in there. It looks great and does all the basic stuff you want, with some really nice FTP functionality. Something I use all the time.

(what it looks like: FTP screen.)

Edit: Might be this would be better posted in the Google Android thread, but honestly, I don't want to subscribe to yet another thread. My tracker is getting out of hand.

For those that may need it this Contraction Timer has been absolutely wonderful for keeping track of my wife's contractions as she has been in labor over the last 16 hours. I cannot imagine how much of a pain it would be to do this by hand.

Ooh, crossed fingers that all goes well, MonoCheli.

What a weird way of finding out that someone's wife is about to have a kid.

Malor wrote:

Ooh, crossed fingers that all goes well, MonoCheli.

What a weird way of finding out that someone's wife is about to have a kid.

All went well

IMAGE(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZXYyhOKpgPc/TmPb1f2jKMI/AAAAAAAAqlY/mLF4F40HUC0/s1152/IMG_4722.JPG)
Leland Mack
Born 9-4-2011 7lbs 5oz

This is cross posted in a couple threads but I am alright with briefly hijacking a few thread for him

MonoCheli wrote:

This is cross posted in a couple threads but I am alright with briefly hijacking a few thread for him :)

I think New Dad Pride is just cause for random showing off.

"I'm glad you're all excited for Battlefield 3, and Ima let you get back to it, but look what I just made. "

LiquidMantis wrote:
MonoCheli wrote:

This is cross posted in a couple threads but I am alright with briefly hijacking a few thread for him :)

I think New Dad Pride is just cause for random showing off.

"I'm glad you're all excited for Battlefield 3, and Ima let you get back to it, but look what I just made. "

+1

It's considered polite to say, "ooh, what a cute kid", no matter how weird a baby looks from being born. I think they usually look very strange, and don't find them terribly cute until about a week after they've hatched.

But, in this case, that is genuinely a cute kid, even fresh out of the oven. Nicely done, Mr. and Mrs. Cheli.

LiquidMantis wrote:

I think New Dad Pride is just cause for random showing off.

"I'm glad you're all excited for Battlefield 3, and Ima let you get back to it, but look what I just made. "

My feelings exactly! I am going to go not get sleep now.

Ooh. I just picked up the Motorola Triumph after kicking my old iPhone 3G to the curb. I'll need to read through this to see what I'm missing.

I picked up the Pano app. Great for making those panoramic photos.
Made one down town Willemstad in Curacao.

IMAGE(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6508893497_0f962d35e6_b.jpg)

At the time 10cts (sale), now close to $3

Any recommendations for free car dock apps?

Just switched from the stock browser to Dolphin today. Should have done it sooner. Much slicker.

Thin_J wrote:

Just switched from the stock browser to Dolphin today. Should have done it sooner. Much slicker.

Yeah I've been through a ton of different browsers; miren, opera, firefox, default, dolphin mini, dolphin hd, and etc. dolphin mini is always the one I come back to. Fast, efficient, and respectable battery use.