Master of Orion 1 + 2 on GOG

My favourite tech will always be Plasma Web, because it makes capturing Orion super-easy. Build dozens of small, cheap ships with nothing but Plasma Webs, then take them all to Orion and just keep stacking webs on the Guardian. After a couple turns it will be taking tons of damage from them each turn, and you'll have so many crappy little ships that it won't be able to kill them all before its shields and armor tick down to zero.

I just like building Doomstars.

If I was doing really well in a game, I used to amuse myself by researching Stellar Converter and Artificial Planet Construction so I could run around the galaxy blowing up inhabited planets and then building new ones out of the resulting asteroid belts.

muttonchop wrote:

If I was doing really well in a game, I used to amuse myself by researching Stellar Converter and Artificial Planet Construction so I could run around the galaxy blowing up inhabited planets and then building new ones out of the resulting asteroid belts.

Yeah, but you can only build them if there's another colony in the same system!

Invade one planet, blow up the rest. It wasn't the most practical strategy.

The ultimate "scorched earth". Eventually when you get enough momentum it becomes valid to torch an entire system because you just don't need yet another colony to manage.

Not eco-friendly though.

Yeah pulled the trigger and bought this last night. Was up until 2am playing. So awesome.

Filthy enablers, all! I love you!

Going to GOG now and purchasing. I thought I could hold off and just live vicariously through this thread, but you guys are exhuming so many good memories I have with this game. I must play it again.

Blackstep wrote:

Yeah pulled the trigger and bought this last night. Was up until 2am playing. So awesome.

Just stopped playing right now after a marathon session.

I'm pleasantly surprised by two things: one, how well the game holds up in terms of UI and user-friendliness. I forgot about stuff like how when you develop a new technology, the game asks you if you want it to adjust your spending levels across your planets to build the stuff. There are a lot of modern games that could use something like that.

The other thing is how much more sense it seems to make this time around. I'm older now, and with a lot more 4X gaming experience, so maybe that's why.

It's not only fun, but impressive to play something so old that's so well designed.

I love the fact that no one even bothers to mention MoO3... What a crapfest...

Seriously. I remember being so psyched about MoO3 and then reading all the reviews that it was mostly just clicking through spreadsheets and micro-top-heavy. Did not want. Maybe I was uninformed at the time, but history hasn't redeemed MoO3, so I doubt it. Though, as much as I love MoO2 it does get a bit too clicky by the end when you're teched up and going after the rest of the galaxy.

jbavon wrote:

I love the fact that no one even bothers to mention MoO3... What a crapfest...

NEVER HAPPENED

Im really suffering from spies. I gave my race the -1 to spy trait which seems like a big mistake. I have never had a successful op on any opponent and even with 30 spies people constantly steal from me.

Any tips?

jbavon wrote:

Hey guys these games are a lot of fun, I was up all night playing them!

FTFY

I tried the Uncreative perk just for the challenge. I thought it only affected your research options, but the first time I talked with an alien race, my only options were "Peace Treaty", "Declare War", and "Surrender". Pretty awesome! I was really hoping to Exchange for techs that I missed out on, but instead I had to rely only on spies and hope it worked out.

Still, pretty cool to set up an Uncreative, Repulsive race on a Rich, Arty world with spying and research bonuses. Seems kind of ironic.

Played MoO2 for a couple of hours after buying it this afternoon. The memories. And, as folks have pointed out already, still a great game after sll these years. After the MoO2 binge I threw on a little GalCiv2 to compare. Also a great game. Now I just need some Alpha Centauri and I'll have the space-based 4X trifecta complete. Too bad I can't get AC to run on my Win7 box. GOG, you must help me complete the trifecta!

buzzvang wrote:

I tried the Uncreative perk just for the challenge. I thought it only affected your research options, but the first time I talked with an alien race, my only options were "Peace Treaty", "Declare War", and "Surrender". Pretty awesome! I was really hoping to Exchange for techs that I missed out on, but instead I had to rely only on spies and hope it worked out.

Still, pretty cool to set up an Uncreative, Repulsive race on a Rich, Arty world with spying and research bonuses. Seems kind of ironic.

"Repulsive" is what restricted your diplo options.

syndicatedragon wrote:
buzzvang wrote:

I tried the Uncreative perk just for the challenge. I thought it only affected your research options, but the first time I talked with an alien race, my only options were "Peace Treaty", "Declare War", and "Surrender". Pretty awesome! I was really hoping to Exchange for techs that I missed out on, but instead I had to rely only on spies and hope it worked out.

Still, pretty cool to set up an Uncreative, Repulsive race on a Rich, Arty world with spying and research bonuses. Seems kind of ironic.

"Repulsive" is what restricted your diplo options.

Well doesn't that just make too much sense...

Tamren wrote:

Im really suffering from spies. I gave my race the -1 to spy trait which seems like a big mistake. I have never had a successful op on any opponent and even with 30 spies people constantly steal from me.

Any tips?

Go for the techs that increase spying capability: stealth suit, neural scanner, cyber security link, etc.

Okay can someone explain to me the basics of what to do in the beginning? The only way I know how to play is bunker down. Not build a single military ship. And sit and hope no one attacks me before I become this unstoppable tech juggernaught and roll over people with my doom stars.

I'm doing games that start with pre-warp tech. So the first thing I do is research 3 techs to get colony ships. Then I kind of fall apart. By the time I get my second colony going Mr. Klackon next door has 6 colonies and is already knocking on my door with cruisers and 6 transports full of marines.

Even when I gave myself a lot of economic bonuses I have no idea why I am lagging behind so much. I build one colony and watch my enemy build another. Then like 10 turns later out pops another colony ship from that colony. MY colony on the other hand still has barely 2 units of population and can't even feed itself.

Tamren wrote:

Okay can someone explain to me the basics of what to do in the beginning? The only way I know how to play is bunker down. Not build a single military ship. And sit and hope no one attacks me before I become this unstoppable tech juggernaught and roll over people with my doom stars.

I'm doing games that start with pre-warp tech. So the first thing I do is research 3 techs to get colony ships. Then I kind of fall apart. By the time I get my second colony going Mr. Klackon next door has 6 colonies and is already knocking on my door with cruisers and 6 transports full of marines.

Even when I gave myself a lot of economic bonuses I have no idea why I am lagging behind so much. I build one colony and watch my enemy build another. Then like 10 turns later out pops another colony ship from that colony. MY colony on the other hand still has barely 2 units of population and can't even feed itself.

I always found this happening to myself in the early part of the game as well. Best thing you can do in the early part of the game is set up as many research and trade treaties as possible. Around the middle part of the game is when you really catch up and start surpassing the other races. Also, I found when I was weaker it was easier to turn into a sycophant and later turn the tables on them as my tech grew.

Build automated factories as soon as you can.

If your finding it easy to turtle up and out tech everyone, bump up the difficulty level a notch or two. You will be amazed at the capability of the AI. The Darloks, Silicoids and Psilons in particular are devastatingly powerful in the late game.

As far as the early game, expand and keep your neighbors happy and always keep an eye on their neighbors as well. The quote "The enemy of enemy is my friend" works well in diplomacy but the inverse needs to be true as well. Don't make pacts with races in conflict with your immediate threats.

God I love this game. I haven't touched multiplayer in ages... I wonder if spoofed LAN play works on Hamachi still? Might be worth trying it out if anyone is interested.

My biggest problem is that I can only reach a small handful of stars. How do you increase the range of your ships to reach more than 5-6 parsecs? I've been playing for quite a while and researching all of the power techs, but I still can only reach three stars outside my home system.

Need better tech for that. Alternatively, need Outpost ships. Those extend range as well. Go out, make friends, make a little money, then buy cheap colonies from your friends.

Tamren wrote:

Okay can someone explain to me the basics of what to do in the beginning? The only way I know how to play is bunker down. Not build a single military ship. And sit and hope no one attacks me before I become this unstoppable tech juggernaught and roll over people with my doom stars.

I'm doing games that start with pre-warp tech. So the first thing I do is research 3 techs to get colony ships. Then I kind of fall apart. By the time I get my second colony going Mr. Klackon next door has 6 colonies and is already knocking on my door with cruisers and 6 transports full of marines.

Even when I gave myself a lot of economic bonuses I have no idea why I am lagging behind so much. I build one colony and watch my enemy build another. Then like 10 turns later out pops another colony ship from that colony. MY colony on the other hand still has barely 2 units of population and can't even feed itself.

Get automated factories before you start churning out the colony ships. Make sure to get research centers early on too. If you start getting some positive cash flow (often from treaties or megawealth leaders), liberally use it to buy colony upgrades and colony ships instantly.

Whenever I go for the defensive/tech dominance win, I will go all out picking negative combat traits (especially ground combat). If you're attacked early, you will lose anyway. This will enable you to load up on research/population/production traits.

I often pick diplomatic skill to keep all the aliens on my good side. If they start getting annoyed at me, I'll just bribe them off with a useless tech or two. This works best in conjunction with creative trait obviously. Repulsive races and getting framed by enemy spies can be a killer though.

Bought it, beat it, playing again. I forgot how much I love MOO2.

The AI does bizarre things sometimes. Started a game with four races: Elerian, Klackon, Sakkra, and my custom Subterranean/Heavy G race. The Sakkra managed to wipe out the Elerians really early, and started expanding like crazy. My civ was in a pretty remote corner of the galaxy so I just ignored everyone else and focused on upgrading my colonies. The first election game up, and the Sakkra had more votes than me and the Klackons combined, luckily the Klackons voted for me so the Sakkra didn't get a majority. I figured the Sakkra would start coming after me soon so I started researching military tech and getting my production up so I could start pumping out a fleet.

Suddenly I get the following message: The Klackons have invaded your colony at Opus!
That's odd, I don't HAVE a colony at Opus.

The invasion screen pops up, and I repel the Klackon invaders. Immediately afterward, a news broadcast pops up and announces that the Sakkra have surrendered their entire empire of 16 systems, including Orion, to me. My own empire at this point consisted of 6 systems and a fleet of around 5 cruisers that I built ages ago to kill a space crystal. My race was Repulsive, so I had no existing treaties with the Sakkra. Hell, we had barely even made contact: their empire was halfway across the galaxy with only a single wormhole joining us.

Suddenly I have an empire spanning 22 systems, am at war with a race I hadn't even made contact with yet, and still only have a fleet of 5 outdated cruisers.
What the heck, lizard dudes?

Nevin73 wrote:

Bought it, beat it, playing again. I forgot how much I love MOO2.

Same here with the original. Played as the Melkar. Going to try and win a game with each race in MOO and then move on to MOO2. Used to basically only play as Psilon and Human, and always did the same thing: turtle, find Orion, take it with a fleet of big ships, wait for the endgame to make my move.

These days, I think I'll try and have a bit more action in my games, using races more geared toward early and mid-game wars.

muttonchop wrote:

The AI does bizarre things sometimes. Started a game with four races: Elerian, Klackon, Sakkra, and my custom Subterranean/Heavy G race. The Sakkra managed to wipe out the Elerians really early, and started expanding like crazy. My civ was in a pretty remote corner of the galaxy so I just ignored everyone else and focused on upgrading my colonies. The first election game up, and the Sakkra had more votes than me and the Klackons combined, luckily the Klackons voted for me so the Sakkra didn't get a majority. I figured the Sakkra would start coming after me soon so I started researching military tech and getting my production up so I could start pumping out a fleet.

Suddenly I get the following message: The Klackons have invaded your colony at Opus!
That's odd, I don't HAVE a colony at Opus.

The invasion screen pops up, and I repel the Klackon invaders. Immediately afterward, a news broadcast pops up and announces that the Sakkra have surrendered their entire empire of 16 systems, including Orion, to me. My own empire at this point consisted of 6 systems and a fleet of around 5 cruisers that I built ages ago to kill a space crystal. My race was Repulsive, so I had no existing treaties with the Sakkra. Hell, we had barely even made contact: their empire was halfway across the galaxy with only a single wormhole joining us.

Suddenly I have an empire spanning 22 systems, am at war with a race I hadn't even made contact with yet, and still only have a fleet of 5 outdated cruisers.
What the heck, lizard dudes?

Same thing happened to me. I wasn't complaining, though it does make things a bit unbalanced.

LarryC wrote:

Need better tech for that. Alternatively, need Outpost ships. Those extend range as well. Go out, make friends, make a little money, then buy cheap colonies from your friends.

Your ships can only travel a set distance from your systems. That distance is determined by your current battery tech. Building a colony or outpost expands this invisible travel boundary. I don't know why they don't draw it on the map, they really should.

I played the game for years before I realized this and discovered the importance of outposts.

Outposts can be put even on uninhabitable planets and asteroid belts.