Gears of War 3 - Catch All

Garden Ninja wrote:

I'd be up to finish Act V this week.

For difficulty, I think Hardcore is about right, at least when a couple others are on Normal or Casual. For the Insane run, I'll probably play in Arcade mode for the respawns. It sounds un-fun otherwise.

Ahhh...good point about the respawns in arcade mode, hadn't thought about that. I was going to go through it on local split-screen with my wife's account on casual and mine on Insane and try to manage it that way.

As for finishing up the campaign, if we can arrange a day to finish it up, I can probably convince the wife to let me get on earlier to accommodate other folks' schedules.

Michael Zenke wrote:

I've noticed some people talking about playing the Campaign in not-Arcade mode.

Why would you ever do that? The only real annoyance I have is the weapons reset at each Chapter break. Otherwise it's exactly like campaign mode plus awesome medals and scoring.

Do you guys really want to 'immersed' in the experience that much? Curious about it.

I figured Arcade mode would be like the Echoes in Bulletstorm -- all the storyesque scenes cut out, with just the action segments remaining. Nope. Exact same game, like Michael says.

Clemenstation wrote:

This is not a joke -- giant golden fire-breathing chicken is actually in the game.

Yeah, saw a video for it last night, I guess folks just found it over the weekend.

Clemenstation wrote:
Michael Zenke wrote:

I've noticed some people talking about playing the Campaign in not-Arcade mode.

Why would you ever do that? The only real annoyance I have is the weapons reset at each Chapter break. Otherwise it's exactly like campaign mode plus awesome medals and scoring.

Do you guys really want to 'immersed' in the experience that much? Curious about it.

I figured Arcade mode would be like the Echoes in Bulletstorm -- all the storyesque scenes cut out, with just the action segments remaining. Nope. Exact same game, like Michael says.

Yeah, a better comparison would be Team Scoring mode in Halo: Reach. You still get all the medals/ribbons/points in Standard campaign, they just don't show up until you quit the session.

Michael Zenke wrote:

I've noticed some people talking about playing the Campaign in not-Arcade mode.

Why would you ever do that? The only real annoyance I have is the weapons reset at each Chapter break. Otherwise it's exactly like campaign mode plus awesome medals and scoring.

Do you guys really want to 'immersed' in the experience that much? Curious about it.

You can't resume mid-chapter in Arcade. So if you get to a check point mid-chapter and quit, you'd have to restart the chapter when you come back instead of picking up where you left off.

I wish I'd played in regular to begin with, but will definitely be playing my Insane co-op run Arcade for the respawns.

I've always played on Hardcore because both devs and reviewers have said that's how it's "meant to be played," ie. you need to use the cover system properly. When I hopped into Horde and the difficulty was at normal I was hosing down grubs and feeling mighty pleased with myself. Then I went back to campaign and was humbled when I realized that being "awesome" made me careless.

I've enjoyed the writing a great deal more than previous games. Not necessarily because the story is strong but because there isn't the cringe-worthy dialogue from 2 in which one-liners fall flat again and again.

Yeah, I'm playing campaign Hardcore first time through also.

Finding it to be the perfect challenge.

I sure do die a bit in some sequences, but I don't mind at all as it doesn't feel unfair (like Insane mode). It just demands thoughtful gameplay, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

EDIT:

Didn't notice this earlier in the thread, but has anyone watched the Gears 3 launch trailer?

The Gears 1 "Mad World" clip is easily my favorite cinematic trailer this gen. I've got it downloaded on 360 HDD and will still fire it up on occasion and watch it a few times in a row.

This new one actually stands toe to toe with the impact of Mad World, only on a "chaos of war" level. Doesn't best it (a virtual impossibility), but I think it's in the same league. Pretty impressive coming off the heels of the abysmal Gears 2 trailer.

Looks like I have a new trailer to download to 360.

Michael Zenke wrote:

I've noticed some people talking about playing the Campaign in not-Arcade mode.

Why would you ever do that? The only real annoyance I have is the weapons reset at each Chapter break. Otherwise it's exactly like campaign mode plus awesome medals and scoring.

Do you guys really want to 'immersed' in the experience that much? Curious about it.

Arcade mode sounds very appealing to me but my buddy (the host) didn't think to enable it. Once we got started we didn't bother with it. It will be enabled for Insane coo-op run, certainly.

Aaron D. wrote:

The Gears 1 "Mad World" clip is easily my favorite cinematic trailer this gen. I've got it downloaded on 360 HDD and will still fire it up on occasion and watch it a few times in a row.

This new one actually stands toe to toe with the impact of Mad World, only on a "chaos of war" level. Doesn't best it (a virtual impossibility), but I think it's in the same league. Pretty impressive coming off the heels of the abysmal Gears 2 trailer.

You're in for a treat then, as they

Spoiler:

reference the Mad World trailer at a key moment in the campaign. It also pops up in multiplayer as well.

(nothing spoilery in the spoiler, but just out of consideration of folks who want an untainted playthrough)

Does it matter what multiplayer mode that is?

I'd be willing to fire up a private match with bots on that map just to check it out.

Aaron D. wrote:

Does it matter what multiplayer mode that is?

I'd be willing to fire up a private match with bots on that map just to check it out.

I think either of the non-cooperative modes (TDM/Warzone/execution). And gearswikia states that it will start up on any round AFTER a round that you have NOT destroyed any of the ash people, regardless of which side you spawn on.

Aaron D. wrote:

Does it matter what multiplayer mode that is?

I'd be willing to fire up a private match with bots on that map just to check it out.

I was wrong (will edit above). It's finish a round WITHOUT destroying the ash people.

There's a Mad World Easter Egg on Gridlock in MP, too. If none of the ash people on the map get destroyed during a round, the next round it plays the music in the background.

Would anyone be interested in teaming up with Stylez and I to do a 4 player Insane campaign run? We beat it on Hardcore and we've done the other two Gears campaigns on Insane. But it would be way easier (though undoubtedly still brutal) with 4 humans. Anyone interested?

That is so freakin' awesome.

This game seems to be silly with easter eggs.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

Would anyone be interested in teaming up with Stylez and I to do a 4 player Insane campaign run? We beat it on Hardcore and we've done the other two Gears campaigns on Insane. But it would be way easier (though undoubtedly still brutal) with 4 humans. Anyone interested?

I posted up the thread collecting names myself. Me, Glanton, and iaintgotnopants are on board for a run.

Aaron D. wrote:

Yeah, I'm playing campaign Hardcore first time through also.

Finding it to be the perfect challenge.

I sure do die a bit in some sequences, but I don't mind at all as it doesn't feel unfair (like Insane mode). It just demands thoughtful gameplay, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

EDIT:

Didn't notice this earlier in the thread, but has anyone watched the Gears 3 launch trailer?

The Gears 1 "Mad World" clip is easily my favorite cinematic trailer this gen. I've got it downloaded on 360 HDD and will still fire it up on occasion and watch it a few times in a row.

This new one actually stands toe to toe with the impact of Mad World, only on a "chaos of war" level. Doesn't best it (a virtual impossibility), but I think it's in the same league. Pretty impressive coming off the heels of the abysmal Gears 2 trailer.

Looks like I have a new trailer to download to 360.

It's yet another trailer that's capturing emotions and experiences not found in the campaign itself, really. I never felt that sort of desperation in the campaign as any of the trailers came off.

There are a couple emotional moments in Gears 3, but on the whole, I feel like whoever does the trailers for Microsoft Game Studios (particularly Halo and Gears), they ought to be writing the stories instead of whoever is actually in charge of the games.

MannishBoy wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

Would anyone be interested in teaming up with Stylez and I to do a 4 player Insane campaign run? We beat it on Hardcore and we've done the other two Gears campaigns on Insane. But it would be way easier (though undoubtedly still brutal) with 4 humans. Anyone interested?

I posted up the thread collecting names myself. Me, Glanton, and iaintgotnopants are on board for a run.

OK, I'm in if you need a fourth.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

Would anyone be interested in teaming up with Stylez and I to do a 4 player Insane campaign run? We beat it on Hardcore and we've done the other two Gears campaigns on Insane. But it would be way easier (though undoubtedly still brutal) with 4 humans. Anyone interested?

I posted up the thread collecting names myself. Me, Glanton, and iaintgotnopants are on board for a run.

OK, I'm in if you need a fourth.

We might just do a chapter by chapter "who's available" type of deal. We can eventually get everybody who wants to do it through I suspect.

I can play tonight for awhile at some point. Tomorrow night I'm sure will be all about BF3 if DICE's servers hold up.

nel e nel wrote:
Garden Ninja wrote:

Sally and nel,

did you guys end up playing more this weekend? How far did you get?

We got through Act IV, and I noticed they had started the beginning of Act V last night without us. (what happened to 'Brothers To The End' guys? ;p).

In all seriousness though, I am still up for finishing off the 4 player co-op campaign, and I'll dial my difficulty back down from Insane if that's annoying folks too much. Last act is 6 chapters, so it should only take 1.5 hours or so if the rest of you stay on casual as you have been.

I am still down. We only did one chapter. I will be on early tonight.

MannishBoy wrote:

We might just do a chapter by chapter "who's available" type of deal. We can eventually get everybody who wants to do it through I suspect.

I can play tonight for awhile at some point. Tomorrow night I'm sure will be all about BF3 if DICE's servers hold up.

OK, I was traveling for work today and have been up since 5am so after some time on the treadmill, I'm turning in. But I'm available almost every other evening this week and probably a chunk of the weekend too.

Oops, wrong thread.

Thanks for letting me join in tonight's game SallyNasty and co. Beast and Horde are definitely fun, but I still feel like something is missing. None of my Gears 2 crew got the game, so that's probably it. I have to adjust to a whole new crew to work with.

I think VS may soon be dead to me. I played about 5 or 6 rounds of TDM tonight, and I bet 80% of my deaths were to the sawed off.

I didn't mind it in the beta that much, but it seems that it's really taking over. Sit at a corner where you can't be seen and just one shot people as they run by. I don't enjoy playing that way, so probably won't adapt to doing much of that myself. I'll play another game.

It just seems to feel a bit off for a spawn weapon. Feels more like a pick up. But I'm a GoW Vs newb player, so maybe I'm just clueless.

Oh well. Maybe this just isn't my game outside of the co-op modes.

MannishBoy wrote:

I think VS may soon be dead to me. I played about 5 or 6 rounds of TDM tonight, and I bet 80% of my deaths were to the sawed off.

I didn't mind it in the beta that much, but it seems that it's really taking over. Sit at a corner where you can't be seen and just one shot people as they run by. I don't enjoy playing that way, so probably won't adapt to doing much of that myself. I'll play another game.

It just seems to feel a bit off for a spawn weapon. Feels more like a pick up. But I'm a GoW Vs newb player, so maybe I'm just clueless.

Oh well. Maybe this just isn't my game outside of the co-op modes.

I agree that it seems overpowered, although I haven't played any TDM yet since the beta. I wouldn't mind it as a spawn weapon if it only started with 1 ammo, or maybe two, and that seems along the same lines as being a pick up. It could be pretty easily countered by teamwork, but you have to bring your own team to the game for that to happen (usually).

Jolly Bill wrote:

I agree that it seems overpowered, although I haven't played any TDM yet since the beta. I wouldn't mind it as a spawn weapon if it only started with 1 ammo, or maybe two, and that seems along the same lines as being a pick up. It could be pretty easily countered by teamwork, but you have to bring your own team to the game for that to happen (usually).

I think it initially was described to be devastating within melee range, nearly worthless outside of that range. That would probably be OK. But as it is, you gib somebody at about double or triple melee range, and it seems to have a nearly 180 degree effective arc.

If anyone is short a player for 4 player, count me in.
I only need act 5 for 4 player and act 3 - 5 for Insane but I'd help out anywhere.

The insane run is so much easier with a coop buddy playing casual.

MannishBoy wrote:
Jolly Bill wrote:

I agree that it seems overpowered, although I haven't played any TDM yet since the beta. I wouldn't mind it as a spawn weapon if it only started with 1 ammo, or maybe two, and that seems along the same lines as being a pick up. It could be pretty easily countered by teamwork, but you have to bring your own team to the game for that to happen (usually).

I think it initially was described to be devastating within melee range, nearly worthless outside of that range. That would probably be OK. But as it is, you gib somebody at about double or triple melee range, and it seems to have a nearly 180 degree effective arc.

Yeah, the SoS is a bone of contention for sure, and is a debate I've been somewhat following since the beta. It's very interesting, because the loudest voices are the self-appointed 'Gears veterans' and their arguments basically boil down to 'I don't like being killed by some n00b that I used to pwn in Gears 2,' or 'I can't wall bounce with abandon anymore and I have to check my corners.'

It was equally interesting reading interviews with Cliff and Rod after the beta, and they would be able to look at specific gamer tags and see what the numbers were. Their counter argument was basically 'Well, we've looked at the data, and player 'xxIsMoKeMaDdBlUnTzZyOxx' is getting killed 5 times a match instead of 3 times a match, and is only getting 15 kills instead of 19 kills. On the opposite end, player 'n00bf0dder' is now getting killed 10 times a match instead of 15, and is getting 5 kills instead of none. So we think that's a pretty good rebalancing of the gameplay.'

And I kind of agree with that logic. Yes, I hate getting killed by the SoS, but I also love getting kills with it. I also think that the game plays so much better than Gears 2 online, that I kind of don't really care in the long run. It's also a game that you can't lone wolf in, and it's always a lot more fun when playing with a full party.

nel e nel wrote:

And I kind of agree with that logic. Yes, I hate getting killed by the SoS, but I also love getting kills with it.

Well, it's likely to run this noob out of the game. Think that's what Epic wants?

I also think that the game plays so much better than Gears 2 online, that I kind of don't really care in the long run.

I agree it plays better in general. I enjoyed the beta and the first week. But the last couple of times I tried to play, most players were just playing for sawed off kills. Maybe just bad random servers. Don't know. But I've about had it and will just only play Horde/Beast if it stays the way it is. If that's the way people like the game, great. It's just not for me. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just not a good fit personally if this is the dominant gun.

It's also a game that you can't lone wolf in, and it's always a lot more fun when playing with a full party.

I've got BF3 for that. *shrug*

Again, I'm not a core Gears player. I like the campaigns, and loved Horde in GoW2, and love Horde and Beast on GoW3. It's sad to leave a nice game for one gun, so I'm hoping I don't have to. Maybe I'll cope, but to be honest, right now there are other games that seem to fit me better so I might just move on.

(And I'm not knocking people who use it or enjoy it. It's in the game to be used. It's just not a thing I like to play with as it stands now.)

I'm amazed that there isn't simply a NO SOS Lobby option for people who don't want to fool with that nonsense.

It seems like it would separate the crazies from those who just want to enjoy the game online.

Nel/Garden/Random 4th - finish up 4 player co-op tonight?

*Edit* Jekl and other popin/out goodjers - had an awesome time last night doing all 50 waves on horde!