Left 4 Dead 2 Catch All

Hobbes2099 wrote:
Mystic Violet wrote:

Thanks for the games tonight, guys! Two things:

1) Crescendo event for Dead Center is EVIL.

2) Chainsaw! I held it! :D

We got crushed to the point it began to seem funny. We'll try again.

Somehow a pitch dark swamp with mudmen is easier than 3 floors worth of malls...

Seem funny? It was hilarious! You don't always have to win to have a good time.

I need to try that level again when I get the chance. We discovered a hole in the second floor and there might be another on the third floor.

imbiginjapan wrote:

Scavenge looks really interesting to me. It just seems like it will be pure fun chaos.

I just played through a couple rounds of Scavenge. It's quite fun. Especially when you play against a team that splits up. The round can end in about 30 seconds if things go poorly for the survivors.

I'm ready for some VS tonight, campaign or Scavenge. I hope you guys are too!

Switchbreak wrote:
Elycion wrote:
MyBrainHz wrote:

I love Ellis so much.

"Why don'cha try readin' a BOOK sometime?" :LOL:

Ellis is definitely the Francis of L4D2, he has all the best lines. I also like him talking about the stock car racer he idolizes in Dead Center. Something along the lines of "If it was biologically possible I'd have that man's children."

Coach and Nick both have some good lines too. I love how non-PC they all are, Coach: "Lights off, I hear a bitch!"

Rochelle seems like a letdown in terms of voice over personality. She almost never says anything unless she's asking Ellis to shut up and get moving.

We were trying to map them back to the original survivors during a game the other day and came to similar conclusions. Ellis is the Francis of Left 4 Dead 2, Nick is quite obviously the Zoey, Rochelle is the Louis and Coach is kind of a nicer and less senile Bill.

I have been playing alot of Nick... He did shoot the helicopter pilot...

Protip: Never crowd your team of survivors around a closed door, because a charger might sneak up behind your team, knock them out like bowling pins, and break through said closed door with you in hand.

It was with abject horror that I knew no one was going to be able to save me, even with the charger trying to do the heimlich maneuver on me the best way he knew how.

Other than that, brilliant move on the enemy team's part.

My L4D skills took a pretty serious confidence hit after playing a few of the campaigns on Normal last night. The new infected really up the ante for actual communication and playing skill. Leaping off buildings and balconies probably didn't help either.

Is it just me, or are the Shotguns borderline useless now? I get some random de-limbing, but it seems to often take more than one shotgun blast to drop a single zombie. Hmph.

Hordes are a lot more formidable in this game. Even lone zombies hinder movement to a greater degree than they used to, and when you combine this with their improved toughness and uncanny ability to attack from unexpected directions, it's easy to get separated and trapped by just a handful of zombies. The ol' melee & dash doesn't work like it used to.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Hordes are a lot more formidable in this game. Even lone zombies hinder movement to a greater degree than they used to, and when you combine this with their improved toughness and uncanny ability to attack from unexpected directions, it's easy to get separated and trapped by just a handful of zombies. The ol' melee & dash doesn't work like it used to.

It does if you use your adrenaline.

Arterus wrote:

My L4D skills took a pretty serious confidence hit after playing a few of the campaigns on Normal last night. The new infected really up the ante for actual communication and playing skill. Leaping off buildings and balconies probably didn't help either.

Is it just me, or are the Shotguns borderline useless now? I get some random de-limbing, but it seems to often take more than one shotgun blast to drop a single zombie. Hmph.

I also have had some ego-deflating moments. Advanced is really quite challenging and dropping down to normal makes me feel a bit bad, but I would rather do that and get through a campaign in one evening instead of just have multiple team wipes near or at the finale.

As for the Shotguns - I just find them a bit more demanding (realistic?). If you do a good body centre mass shot, or at least a pelvis (and head obviously) one shot is enough. You rarely have time to line that up, though. They also do not work like a rifle and any reasonable distance is going to reduce your damage considerably - which was less of an issue in L4D1.

They are definitely not the weed-whacker style room-clearer that the auto-shottie is in L4D1. A rapid spray & pray clickfest is just not as effective as it used to be, but each shot is still more powerful than those from machine guns (I find). I never used to like the auto-shottie that much, but I am loving the combat shotgun. Too bad it seems to run out of ammo so fast

I woke up today and Dax had sent me a link to one of the threads you guys posted in here after I mentioned my problem. I read through it and tried several of the ideas suggested in that thread, and one or all of them did something because I was able to play through 2 levels of the first campaign without a single hiccup.

Knock on wood, I think my problem has been resolved for now. Thanks to all those who went looking for help.

There was some talk a couple of pages back about the grenade launcher not startling the witch, but after killing a handful of witches with people--some with grenade launchers and some without--I think that it's really a new delay in between her taking damage and her choosing a target. One time when Lobster shot at the witch (with the launcher) none of us were in position yet, and a second later the witch started chasing him anyways.

However some of the time we would all get ready to fire simultaneously, the first person to hit her wasn't necessarily the one she chased. I think that what's happening is that she no longer instantly and psychically knows who attacked her first, which can make everything a little less predictable.

Speaking of the witch, was it Laars or Psych that was walking around Dead Center with me in the hallway? There were two doorways, the one on the left had the witch standing right there, the one on the right was empty. You went into the one on the rightand stood there, facing the wall.

You: "Where is the witch? she sounds really close."
Me: "Turn around."
You: "Oh sh*t."

Lucky you had already turned off your flashlight.

I tried some Scavenge today. It's pretty fun! It's kinda like Versus, but sped up. There aren't really pauses, it's just hurry hurry hurry get the can in no stop trying to save people JUST POUR THE GODDAMN THING OR WE'LL LOSE

Which is ace.

Yonder wrote:

There was some talk a couple of pages back about the grenade launcher not startling the witch, but after killing a handful of witches with people--some with grenade launchers and some without--I think that it's really a new delay in between her taking damage and her choosing a target. One time when Lobster shot at the witch (with the launcher) none of us were in position yet, and a second later the witch started chasing him anyways.

However some of the time we would all get ready to fire simultaneously, the first person to hit her wasn't necessarily the one she chased. I think that what's happening is that she no longer instantly and psychically knows who attacked her first, which can make everything a little less predictable.

Couple things I noticed last night:
-one person on the team startled the witch, so I got in her way to block her from chasing him. After a couple seconds she started attacking me instead.
-someone shot a witch, and as she was running towards him I shot her with the grenade launcher. It said "muttonchop has startled the witch!" and she started chasing me.

My guess is that now the witch is capable of changing targets after being startled to prevent people from blocking/kiting her.

Re-post from L4D2 Hook Up Thread (In case those watching this thread at home need a reason to get this):

I don't know if some people are still looking for the game or what, but NewEgg has it for $39.99 with free shipping...and if you're not in California, no tax. It's a couple bucks more than the group deal, but it's not bad if you're by your lonesome.

NewEgg Left 4 Dead 2 $39.99

PEN15

muttonchop wrote:
Yonder wrote:

There was some talk a couple of pages back about the grenade launcher not startling the witch, but after killing a handful of witches with people--some with grenade launchers and some without--I think that it's really a new delay in between her taking damage and her choosing a target. One time when Lobster shot at the witch (with the launcher) none of us were in position yet, and a second later the witch started chasing him anyways.

However some of the time we would all get ready to fire simultaneously, the first person to hit her wasn't necessarily the one she chased. I think that what's happening is that she no longer instantly and psychically knows who attacked her first, which can make everything a little less predictable.

Couple things I noticed last night:
-one person on the team startled the witch, so I got in her way to block her from chasing him. After a couple seconds she started attacking me instead.
-someone shot a witch, and as she was running towards him I shot her with the grenade launcher. It said "muttonchop has startled the witch!" and she started chasing me.

My guess is that now the witch is capable of changing targets after being startled to prevent people from blocking/kiting her.

I also think that they may have upped the amount of damage that she does to bystanders. I went to block for someone and the witch incapped me when she pushed me out of the way (this was Advanced) unfortunately I can't recall how much life I had at the time. Also it's possible that friendly fire was the culprit, not the witch. Actually that may be the most likely scenario.

Switchbreak wrote:
Gumbie wrote:

How long are the versus campaigns now? On par with Crash Course? or more like No Mercy?

Versus campaigns are the whole campaign x2, so I'd imagine once the survivors get the whole "surviving" thing figured out it will clock in at around 2 hours per game. My game last night was closer to 45 minutes.

Which map? The ones i've done so far have been around the 30min mark and thats at the top end. Some were much quicker because of 1 or both side getting rolled.

ranalin wrote:
Switchbreak wrote:
Gumbie wrote:

How long are the versus campaigns now? On par with Crash Course? or more like No Mercy?

Versus campaigns are the whole campaign x2, so I'd imagine once the survivors get the whole "surviving" thing figured out it will clock in at around 2 hours per game. My game last night was closer to 45 minutes.

Which map? The ones i've done so far have been around the 30min mark and thats at the top end. Some were much quicker because of 1 or both side getting rolled.

We played Hard Rain. Both teams made it to about the 30-50% point on every level and then wiped.

Do you get the Authoring Tools with this or they haven't been released yet? I want to start learning how to make maps but I can't afford L4D right now. Waiting for the new tools.

muttonchop wrote:
Yonder wrote:

There was some talk a couple of pages back about the grenade launcher not startling the witch, but after killing a handful of witches with people--some with grenade launchers and some without--I think that it's really a new delay in between her taking damage and her choosing a target. One time when Lobster shot at the witch (with the launcher) none of us were in position yet, and a second later the witch started chasing him anyways.

However some of the time we would all get ready to fire simultaneously, the first person to hit her wasn't necessarily the one she chased. I think that what's happening is that she no longer instantly and psychically knows who attacked her first, which can make everything a little less predictable.

Couple things I noticed last night:
-one person on the team startled the witch, so I got in her way to block her from chasing him. After a couple seconds she started attacking me instead.
-someone shot a witch, and as she was running towards him I shot her with the grenade launcher. It said "muttonchop has startled the witch!" and she started chasing me.

My guess is that now the witch is capable of changing targets after being startled to prevent people from blocking/kiting her.

I can confirm if you block her, she will incap you and then go after the original player again. I blocked for someone last night in a doorway, and she dropped me after about 3-4 seconds.

Apparently I suck at quoting? Even after I just hit the "Quote" button? Bah.

The mud zombies don't distract me any more than the blood from melee weapons. With them running around crouched I end up killing them right away anyway since they look like a jockey to me at first glance.

I've found scavange mode to be much more enjoyable than I had expected. Rounds go at a decent pace and it seems pretty balanced despite some interesting moments.

camnipotent wrote:

Re-post from L4D2 Hook Up Thread (In case those watching this thread at home need a reason to get this):

I don't know if some people are still looking for the game or what, but NewEgg has it for $39.99 with free shipping...and if you're not in California, no tax. It's a couple bucks more than the group deal, but it's not bad if you're by your lonesome.

NewEgg Left 4 Dead 2 $39.99

PEN15

...Are you serious? The code is PEN15? Do they also have MW2 on the cheap with coupon code, V4G1N4?

Arterus wrote:

Apparently I suck at quoting? Even after I just hit the "Quote" button? Bah.

It's a Coffee Grinder thing to prevent spambots from posting links. Once you get to intern you'll be set.

The witch can definitely change targets. At one point last night I startled the witch and she ran up and downed me. As she was in the process of killing me, a teammate shot her and she ran over to him and downed him as well.

Switchbreak wrote:

The witch can definitely change targets. At one point last night I startled the witch and she ran up and downed me. As she was in the process of killing me, a teammate shot her and she ran over to him and downed him as well.

I'm liking the witch changes. She was too easy to exploit before.
Also, the "you're too close to the witch!" music for the wandering witch scares the crap out of me.

You guys post so fast.

I'd just like to say (and a few of you have already heard my complaints about vs) I hate versus now, they killed it. Versus has turned into a speed killing competition. No more tactics for the survivors, no more rationing medpacks and pills, only logical option is to use them whenever you get slowed down. It's not about how well the survivors play at all anymore, only how fast the infected can manage to kill them.
Sure, it was fun, but it's certainly not something I'm going to be able to play almost every night like in L4D1 versus.

IUMogg wrote:

One of highlights yesterday was fedora and I yelling at Prozac to tell him I was black and white because he had the only health kit. It was about 2 mins of yelling while he just sat there wondering why we weren't progressing. Also, my neighbors might think I'm crazy now.

"Prozac, I'm black and white"
"what?"
"I'M BLACK AND WHITE!"
"Huh?"
"HE'S GRAY-SCALE, HEAL HIM"
"WHAAAAAAAAT?"
"HEAL! MOGG!"
"..............what?"

LobsterMobster wrote:

...Are you serious? The code is PEN15? Do they also have MW2 on the cheap with coupon code, V4G1N4?

Confirmed. MW2 = $19.99 after that code.

I'm worried about versus too. I haven't played yet (still want to know the maps), but going through the first 3 maps have shown some serious defense issues that will make it easy for a smoker or charger to completely ruin a gauntlet run or cause the survivors to burn through supplies faster than they should.

I don't know when Valve started selling these, but they're awesome:

IMAGE(http://store.valvesoftware.com/productshowcase/img.productshowcase/L4D2-HolidayCards/Zoom_L4D2_HolidayCards.jpg)

IMAGE(http://store.valvesoftware.com/productshowcase/img.productshowcase/L4D-HolidayCards/Zoom_L4D_HolidayCards.jpg)

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

I'd just like to say (and a few of you have already heard my complaints about vs) I hate versus now, they killed it. Versus has turned into a speed killing competition. No more tactics for the survivors, no more rationing medpacks and pills, only logical option is to use them whenever you get slowed down. It's not about how well the survivors play at all anymore, only how fast the infected can manage to kill them. Sure, it was fun, but it's certainly not something I'm going to be able to play almost every night like in L4D1 versus.

I say give it some time. When the first game came out, for the first month or so Versus was the mode where terrified survivors ventured three or four tentative steps out of the safe room and were immediately and viciously mauled to death by chortling undead fiends. It was game after game of unrelenting and hilarious doom.

After a while people will learn the maps and work out strategies for the new specials, and survivors will probably have a shot at occasionally seeing the safe rooms. You know, if they're on my team. Otherwise they're screwed.

Switchbreak wrote:

I don't know when Valve started selling these, but they're awesome:

Is the green one supposed to be a jockey?

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Switchbreak wrote:

I don't know when Valve started selling these, but they're awesome:

Is the green one supposed to be a jockey?

I think so. No idea why he's green, but the bald spot and the sleigh card give it away.

The green one is a smoker.

Edit: the greenish one in the bottom half is a smoker!