Deus Ex: Human Revolution Catch-All

Speak of the devil...new PC Zone just dropped through the door...

some bullet points from the preview. Lots of interesting stuff but I'll try to avoid anything that might be considered a spoiler:

The art style is more "illustration over simulation". Based on the screenshots it's not as abstract as Team Fortress but it's not quite ultra-realistic. Bioshock looks like a fairly good reference point.

- definitely a prequel : set 25 years before Deus Ex
- multiple endings (no surprise there)
- developers are aware of Invisible War's dumbed down game play and are keen to avoid the same pitfalls
- weapon specific ammo is restored
- psychology and body language play a big part in conversations
- the usual mutilple paths/solutions through things
- Combat will NOT be influenced by stats a'la Deus Ex 1 but by player skill
- Sneaking will use a cover system not a shadow-based system
- hacking is a RTS style minigame.
- 20 augmentations have been promised

Augmentations look a lot like ghost in the shell (e.g the extendy-fingers on the support staff when they are using keyboards). A concept shows a long blade popping out of an artificial arm whic is pretty nifty.

Some weapons/tools mentioned include:

- PC's body can emit high velocity minature beads to hit enemies
- PC has a variety of martial arts moves available that can be used in 3rd person
- shooting tentacles out of your back to anchor yourself to walls :O
- spy through a wall, spot a bad guy then wall-punch through to kill him

A couple of early screenshots (one of a scientist and one of an NPC by the name of Barrett....who happens to have a big gun on one arm, what are the odds :D) and a bunch of concept art. I'm sure they'll all will turn up online fairly soon.

As mentioned, it's look is sort of...not quite realistic but nowhere near as abstract as the likes of TF2. Some interesting concept art for costume styles, etc - sort of a modern take on 16th century clothing. And it's definitely got more than a whiff of Ghost in the Shell about it. "Cyberpunk meets the Rennaisance" seems to be the running theme.

It's REALLY early in the process apparently - they've only just gone into full development (so I would assume its not even close to a hands-on preview at this stage).

So far I'm liking what I see. It certainly looks like a big step up from Invisible War, but still very much early days.

Sounds to me lie they are on the right track. It is always hard to make a squeal to one of the best games ever made. I cant wait to see some of the screen shots.

The screen shots are not - to be honest - particularly exciting : it's just a scientist walking along a corridor and a big dude striking a pose with his gun-arm. But the concept art is pretty snazzy.

in house engine or licensed? or is that not even known at this point?

Oh there are a couple of screen shots I forgot about - a high-tech corridor/mainframe room and a rather plush office (the latter of which actually looks a little like Bioshock minus the dank and decay).

Far as I can see they don't mention anything about the engine at the moment - it certainly looks like it *could* be unreal engine but they don't say specifically.

stevenmack wrote:

- Combat will NOT be influenced by stats a'la Deus Ex 1 but by player skill
- Sneaking will use a cover system not a shadow-based system

Apparently there's also auto-healing. I'll be the first to say it just to get it out of the way: Gears of Deus Ex.

Augmentations look a lot like ghost in the shell (e.g the extendy-fingers on the support staff when they are using keyboards). A concept shows a long blade popping out of an artificial arm whic is pretty nifty.

Makes sense; since this is a prequel to DX1, nanoaugmentation hadn't been invented yet. Sounds like you'll be playing as one of those clankers like Gunther "Laputian Machine" Hermann and Anna "Flatlander Woman" Navarre. Sad I still have their kill phrases memorized after all these years.

Kannon wrote:

Universal ammo = Stupidest Idea EVER!

Outside of that, I'm paying attention to DX3, but... well, my hopes aren't high. Simplifying Deus Ex isn't a good idea. It only kind of worked with Bioshock. (I missed the complexity from System Shock 2. Badly.)

Oh god yes. I hated Universal ammo and the way that whole system worked.

I thoroughly enjoyed DX2 though despite it's shortcomings, but I'm a sucker for that type of game. However, I loaded it up again recently on Gametap and.. eh.. it doesn't age well.. at all.

Swat wrote:
Kannon wrote:

Universal ammo = Stupidest Idea EVER!

Outside of that, I'm paying attention to DX3, but... well, my hopes aren't high. Simplifying Deus Ex isn't a good idea. It only kind of worked with Bioshock. (I missed the complexity from System Shock 2. Badly.)

Oh god yes. I hated Universal ammo and the way that whole system worked.

I thoroughly enjoyed DX2 though despite it's shortcomings, but I'm a sucker for that type of game. However, I loaded it up again recently on Gametap and.. eh.. it doesn't age well.. at all.

yeah the comically small levels sorta kill the immersion factor big time..

Apparently there's also auto-healing. I'll be the first to say it just to get it out of the way: Gears of Deus Ex.

Yeah - the cover system thing also sounds very similar. At least the main character isn't a hulking space marine type (he looks like a cyber-enhanced Gordon Freeman with a nifty pair of shades )

At least in this particular universe regenerating health is a conceivably valid concept, as opposed to WW2 or the middle of the modern day middle east.

Combat will NOT be influenced by stats a'la Deus Ex 1

hacking is a RTS style minigame.

Everything else looks cool, though.

I'll be the first to say it just to get it out of the way: Gears of Deus Ex.

Now that sounds awesome!

It's odd, but these details actually make me a bit more excited about this one. I was really cautious at first since playing Deus Ex 2 felt like i was being forced to watch someone shoot my beloved dog, but even though this info doesn't scream "Deus Ex," they are whispering, "Game I want to play," pretty clearly.

By going frame by frame in the movie some of the art seems to suggest that the story will be going into the segregation rout. One of them says "We do not welcome augmented people here".

Pretty deep. So far so good with the story.

Yeah, it's almost as deep as X-Men!

Kannon wrote:

Universal ammo = Stupidest Idea EVER!

I wouldn't say that. It fits very well with emphasizing player choice. The problem is that it removes a lot of incentive for players to experiment. They can just find their optimal strategy and just keep using that because they'll never be short on resources. Invisible War was easy enough already without adding that to the equation. Since there's no need to be inventive, and making up wacky ways to get through problems is where the majority of fun in a Deus Ex game comes from, you lose out on the best parts if you don't actively make things hard for yourself.

I've got nothing new here.. but its a few days later and the game isn't out yet.. damn!!

Yeah, it's almost as deep as X-Men!
Kannon wrote:

Universal ammo = Stupidest Idea EVER!

I wouldn't say that. It fits very well with emphasizing player choice. The problem is that it removes a lot of incentive for players to experiment. They can just find their optimal strategy and just keep using that because they'll never be short on resources. Invisible War was easy enough already without adding that to the equation. Since there's no need to be inventive, and making up wacky ways to get through problems is where the majority of fun in a Deus Ex game comes from, you lose out on the best parts if you don't actively make things hard for yourself.

I sorta agree.. only really though with all of DX2's issues Universal ammo ended up being so low on the list it hardly mattered.

TheGameguru wrote:

I sorta agree.. only really though with all of DX2's issues Universal ammo ended up being so low on the list it hardly mattered.

That is too true. Sadly, I bought DX2 recently, thinking it had to be on the BC list for the 360. Nope. I really just want to get the story, but really, even that felt more lame than the first one.

But I will be first in line for DX3.

Jayhawker wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

I sorta agree.. only really though with all of DX2's issues Universal ammo ended up being so low on the list it hardly mattered.

That is too true. Sadly, I bought DX2 recently, thinking it had to be on the BC list for the 360. Nope. I really just want to get the story, but really, even that felt more lame than the first one.

But I will be first in line for DX3.

That's where Thief 3 was nice, personally I thought the gameplay was sub-par (compared to the originals), but the story was as good as ever so I didn't mind so much. Deus Ex 2? Yeah, the story wasn't all that awesome either (once again, compared to the original), and that could have redeemed the rest of it. I'll go through a lot for a good story!

I still can't help but be excited for Deus Ex 3 though...

Can I get a reccomendation on Deus Ex 1 & 2?
I've heard enough to be intrigued, should I get hold of them for play?

I'm a fan of RPG games with strong story and combat systems with some depth/customization.

Previously enjoyed:

Fallout
Kotor
Final Fantasy 7,8 & 12
Shadowrun

Currently enjoying Mass Effect.

Where am I best to get them at a reasonable price (Im in Australia so Digital Dist. is best) and will they still hold up as good games?

Don't play Deus Ex for the story. It's really bad in that area. Uwe Boll bad.

The game relies entirely on it's character customization and big, kinda non-linear levels. Those bits aged relatively well, I think.

I disagree. DX1's story is good; the dialogue is just comical almost to the point of being impossible to listen to. "I speeeeeeell my drink!"

Alien Love Gardener wrote:

Yeah, it's almost as deep as X-Men!

Kannon wrote:

Universal ammo = Stupidest Idea EVER!

I wouldn't say that. It fits very well with emphasizing player choice. The problem is that it removes a lot of incentive for players to experiment. They can just find their optimal strategy and just keep using that because they'll never be short on resources. Invisible War was easy enough already without adding that to the equation. Since there's no need to be inventive, and making up wacky ways to get through problems is where the majority of fun in a Deus Ex game comes from, you lose out on the best parts if you don't actively make things hard for yourself.

If all your guns use the same pool of ammo, then you can't have a backup weapon ready for when you run out of ammo on your primary. Also, the ammo tended to burn up pretty quickly, and although there were many different ways to tackle a given problem, if you ran out of ammo you were pretty screwed.

Rat Boy wrote:

I disagree. DX1's story is good; the dialogue is just comical almost to the point of being impossible to listen to. "I speeeeeeell my drink!"

I agree - mostly. I actually thought a lot of the voice acting and writing was pretty good, but the quality from person to person fluctuated wildly, which could get distracting.

It might just be because I played through it so many times, but I don't really feel like DX1 has aged all that well. I'd hesitate before recommending it, though I think I ultimately would.

Deus Ex 1 has been a budget title for years so finding a dirt cheap copy should be fairly easy, and I seem to recall there are graphics mods that improve the look of the game a notch. I think i could probably go back and give it another shot at some point.

Skip "Invisible War" though. It's the perfect example of how NOT to make a 'multi-platform' game.

troubleshot wrote:

Can I get a reccomendation on Deus Ex 1 & 2?
I've heard enough to be intrigued, should I get hold of them for play?

I've seen Deus Ex 1 in the EB games stores - it's one of those ones in the red and white cases (Red Ant?). I think it was the exorbitant price of $9.95. For that price, it's certainly worth picking up. I vaguely remeber reading that there's some mods out there to update the graphics, but I could be wrong.

There's a nice amount of character customisation available, and IMO the story is entertaining enough by video game standards.

Danjo Olivaw wrote:

Don't play Deus Ex for the story. It's really bad in that area. Uwe Boll bad.

The game relies entirely on it's character customization and big, kinda non-linear levels. Those bits aged relatively well, I think.

I thought the overall story was intriguing. They did a good job of keeping you guess, making you feel as though you were really embroiled in some sort of international conspiracy. Some moments really stand out in my mind, like:

Spoilers wrote:

[color=white]Finding the first Gray. Do you kill Anna Navarre on the plane? Infiltrating the MJ12 base underneath Manhattan. Paul's ultimate demise. The Daedalus and Icarus stuff. Meeting Jock for the first time.[/color]

Sounds like you'll be playing as one of those clankers like Gunther

i want to request skul gun upgrade.

Danjo Olivaw wrote:

Don't play Deus Ex for the story. It's really bad in that area. Uwe Boll bad.

The game relies entirely on it's character customization and big, kinda non-linear levels. Those bits aged relatively well, I think.

The DX 1 story is awesome! What are you talking about? I still play DX 1 and it holds up really well for me. I must have played through that game 10 times now.

Aside from the abysmal voice acting in DX1, my only issue was with its claim of being non-linear. There were a number of missions where I managed to step a bit too far outside the box and found myself railroaded into whatever conclusion the writers had intended. This isn't an issue with the game itself however, but rather that my expectations had been set by exaggerated claims. More generally, I liked how the stat upgrades and such affected gameplay. It wasn't on the level of, say, System Shock 2, but still provided for a good bit of flexibility. Though a beefed up "stable shot" skill used with the sniper rifle was an absurdly powerful combo by the end of the game.

complexmath wrote:

Though a beefed up "stable shot" skill used with the sniper rifle was an absurdly powerful combo by the end of the game.

It really was, but that was part of what made the game fun on multiple playthroughs. There were other combinations you could come up with that forced different tactics. But sniping really was the ultimate. But then, you could run out of ammo for your sniper rifle, and be forced to find other means. Sometimnes I held off on the easy way through for fear I would need more ammo later.

It was just a thoroughly enjoyable game, and it was a shame that the sequel never felt that compelling to play.

stevenmack wrote:

Skip "Invisible War" though. It's the perfect example of how NOT to make a 'multi-platform' game.

I actually liked IW. It's not as deep as DX1, but once you get past all the fans angry about the unwashed console masses ruining their sophisticated PC franchise and look at the game on its own merits, I think it's pretty good.