Post a Picture - Something You Created!

You should really check out this Sculptris program, then, bombsfall. It is probably one of the least "3d" 3d programs out there. It's far mor of a sculpting program than a modeling program. But as Fang pointed out, being able to build a basic 3d model as a base really helps. But more and more, programs are requiring less 3D modeling skill and more "hands on" sculpture know-how.

Yeah I try and tell people that everyone can play with silly puddy. Except Sculptris is silly puddy of an endless supply. (well as much as your computer can handle)

Did I mention its free software?

I never could make anything with silly putty. Except bubbles. Maybe.

I'm going to have to give that sculpture program a try. I am away from my home PC, so you won't see anything for a while.

IMAGE(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4204855954_4d542f3103.jpg)

A buddy of mine did the art, which I laser-etched into the anodization on my paintball marker.

Ooops! Wrong Thread.

Kraint wrote:

IMAGE(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4204855954_4d542f3103.jpg)

A buddy of mine did the art, which I laser-etched into the anodization on my paintball marker.

That is gorgeous!

Okay, so I've been trying out that Sculptris program that Fang and WipEout were talking about, and this is my first shot.
IMAGE(http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/Rob_Anybody_82/general%20art%20dump/lizard.jpg)
Obviously not finished yet, but I think it's pretty interesting for a first shot. Took me about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours. Wasn't really paying attention.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Liolai/skully.jpg)

First attempt at Sculptris, also first attempt at ever using a 3D modelling program. Took maybe a couple of hours, and won't ever be finished because my computer can't seem to handle graphics of such mad intensity. : P
Sculptris kept crashing fantastically. She will never have teeth or a jawbone.

Rob Anybody, your lizard dude is most excellent. My cute little skull is humbled.

Lucy? Is that you?

I am in awe of all you guy's 3d modeling skills. I tried my hand at it but I didn't seem to have the knack. I probably used up all of that brain power on pattern recognition instead. Hence my ability to make stuff like this:
IMAGE(http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5297/elfweavehybridrosette.png)
I should probably explain just what the heck this thing is. Now where did I put that chainmail thread of mine...

Tamren wrote:

I am in awe of all you guy's 3d modeling skills. I tried my hand at it but I didn't seem to have the knack. I probably used up all of that brain power on pattern recognition instead. Hence my ability to make stuff like this:
IMAGE(http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5297/elfweavehybridrosette.png)
I should probably explain just what the heck this thing is. Now where did I put that chainmail thread of mine...

chain mail coasters?

Bad idea. No friction

Chainmail pasties?

No friction

Actually... is that really a bad thing?

EDIT: More pix! http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/4...

LiquidMantis wrote:

Chainmail pasties?

That was my thought. Sounds like a good idea to me, where could it go wrong?

IMAGE(http://www.whereismyeyeball.com/images/Shaolin-Poster.jpg)

I posted this in the Post A Picture thread but I guess it fits here too since I made it. Just a painting for fun.

And here my thinking was laser > fist. Apparently I was mistaken.

It's a chainmail yarmulke, isn't it?

If anyone thinks the Sculptris program won't run on your PC, I would try it out. It ran decently on this laptop which is a centrino duo 2.0ghz with 2.0gb of ram and an on board video card.

The poly reduction button (looks like an X and you can hit it multiple times while retaining the quality of your model) works wonders and believe it or not, that skull could be a lot more polys in a program like zbrush. (people typically work with anywhere from 10 million to 50 million tris in that program... 2 million is very light detail typically for digital sculpting)

Also, make sure your brushes don't have the detail slider set beyond halfway. You really don't more than that and can get away with it set to 1/3.

Great work though for both of you. I hope you are having as much fun as it looks like you are!

fangblackbone wrote:

The poly reduction button (looks like an X and you can hit it multiple times while retaining the quality of your model) works wonders and believe it or not, that skull could be a lot more polys in a program like zbrush. (people typically work with anywhere from 10 million to 50 million tris in that program... 2 million is very light detail typically for digital sculpting)

Also, make sure your brushes don't have the detail slider set beyond halfway. You really don't more than that and can get away with it set to 1/3.

Great work though for both of you. I hope you are having as much fun as it looks like you are!

Wow, thanks for the pointers! I'll keep those very useful tips in mind.

Recent stuff for our cartoon/plush line:
IMAGE(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4659864843_dceb372639_b.jpg)

IMAGE(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4654503105_369ce33c3a_b.jpg)

IMAGE(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4654503339_498757083e_b.jpg)

IMAGE(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4655120922_fe5aa34f5b_b.jpg)

EDIT : sorry, I need to figure out how to size these down in forum posts.

bombsfall wrote:

Recent stuff for our cartoon/plush line:

Dayamn, beautiful stuff, man!

Just had an "AHA!" moment of invention.
IMAGE(http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2082/elfweaveorbitalreverses.png)
I'll explain what this is later when I figure it out myself.

bombsfall wrote:

Recent stuff for our cartoon/plush line:

Very awesome. Are you selling prints of any of those? My walls still have lots of space open for artwork.

Bombsfall, your work is lovely.

necroyeti wrote:

It's a chainmail yarmulke, isn't it?

Didn't realize what you meant until I googled the word. I've never heard that name for it, it was always referred to as a kippah in my memory.

Now that I think about it, yeah it would make a pretty good one. But again the problem is friction because its made of aluminium. Does a kippah have anything special about it that stop it from falling off? Or is it just gravity alone? They always seem to be teetering on the edge.

Tamren wrote:
necroyeti wrote:

It's a chainmail yarmulke, isn't it?

Didn't realize what you meant until I googled the word. I've never heard that name for it, it was always referred to as a kippah in my memory.

Now that I think about it, yeah it would make a pretty good one. But again the problem is friction because its made of aluminium. Does a kippah have anything special about it that stop it from falling off? Or is it just gravity alone? They always seem to be teetering on the edge.

Yarmulke is the Yiddish word, Kippah is the Hebrew word; and I think there are clips for the smaller ones; larger ones are crocheted to fit snugly around the head.

Rob_Anybody wrote:
bombsfall wrote:

Recent stuff for our cartoon/plush line:

Very awesome. Are you selling prints of any of those? My walls still have lots of space open for artwork.

I too need these to be awesome prints for my cube at work.