Civ 4 on Win 7 64 bit: MSVCR71.dll missing error

"The program can’t start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program."

That's the error I get when trying to run the game. I copied that dll file from an old install into both the windows\system32 and windows\sysWOW64 folders and tried to run the game, but it's still not working. Tried to regsvr32 the file and it gives me an error. Still won't work. Dug around and found this which sounds exactly like what I was doing, still doesn't work.

Anybody get this working? I bought Civ4 from D2D a few months ago for $5, but have yet to get it to run because of this.

Did you do a proper install of Civ4 in your current install of windows, or did you just run from an existing install?

My first instinct would be to hunt down the VisualC runtime installers (vcredist_x86 or similar) from microsoft. The 2005 sp1 and 2008 sp1 versions should be what you're looking for.

In the back of my mind, I have the feeling that I've come across the same problem, and the redist didn't solve it. The reason being that file isn't included and is meant to be compiled for/installed by the app that uses it (it seems it's not a generic file), which is why I ask about how you installed Civ4, as a fresh install should set up everything an app needs. If the dll is in the install folder it *should* be used by the app, as the search order for dll files is first in the same directory as the exe (it's where you place hacked D3D dlls to add new features to old games), in the windows system folder, then in folders listed by the path (run "echo %path%" at command line) environment variable.

I'm not 100% on the information in the last paragraph, as it's just off the top of my head. Hopefully it should give you some pointers though.

Scratched wrote:

Did you do a proper install of Civ4 in your current install of windows, or did you just run from an existing install?

My first instinct would be to hunt down the VisualC runtime installers (vcredist_x86 or similar) from microsoft. The 2005 sp1 and 2008 sp1 versions should be what you're looking for.

In the back of my mind, I have the feeling that I've come across the same problem, and the redist didn't solve it. The reason being that file isn't included and is meant to be compiled for/installed by the app that uses it (it seems it's not a generic file), which is why I ask about how you installed Civ4, as a fresh install should set up everything an app needs. If the dll is in the install folder it *should* be used by the app, as the search order for dll files is first in the same directory as the exe (it's where you place hacked D3D dlls to add new features to old games), in the windows system folder, then in folders listed by the path (run "echo %path%" at command line) environment variable.

I'm not 100% on the information in the last paragraph, as it's just off the top of my head. Hopefully it should give you some pointers though.

No, it was a full install. I also tried this back with the Win 7 RC with the same problem, but didn't spend any time trying to resolve it then.

I can't figure out how those comments seem to be following the exact steps I have and are getting it to work, yet my system's still not seeing the file. And I've tried both my own version of the file and the one linked there.

It's not a 'running as admin' thing?

Scratched wrote:

It's not a 'running as admin' thing?

Don't know. Running a cmd line as admin, doing: regsvr32 "c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr71.dll" gives this error:

The module "c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr71.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DIIRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr71.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

Same thing if I try to register the file in windows\system\.

I seem to remember a similar error, and, like scratched, I don't remember exactly how I got around it. One thing you might try is navigating to the root CivIV folder and running the .exe as administrator. Again I don't remember exactly how I got around it, but it seems to me that once it was run in admin mode once, it sorted itself out. Might be worth a shot, and sorry I couldn't be more help.

FWIW, my Steam copy of Civ4 BTS is running fine on my 7 64-bit desktop, nothing special was needed.

General Crespin wrote:

FWIW, my Steam copy of Civ4 BTS is running fine on my 7 64-bit desktop, nothing special was needed.

There's a whole big thread on this Civ forum about people running it on W7. http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumd...

Unfortunately no one so far over there has an answer, either. I just can't figure out why doing what I found in several other threads isn't working on my machine.

Wonder about installing .NET framework 1.1...

General Crespin wrote:

FWIW, my Steam copy of Civ4 BTS is running fine on my 7 64-bit desktop, nothing special was needed.

Me too, sorry.

I think this is a problem with copy protection which was remove for the steam version. Set compatibility mode to win2000. I believe if you do this the copy protection will then know how to deal with your copy.

Still get it in Win 2000 compatibility mode. I wonder why the Steam version is different than the D2D version (or if my system is just weird?)

Didn't try the old .NET install as I got side tracked. Might try that.

Would love to hear a follow up on this issue, Andy. Did you resolve it? If so, would you mind sharing, what you did?

I have the same problem and have tried a number of things, such as installing the .NET framework, installing all updates for Windows 7 (x64), installing the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and so forth.

Nope, I gave up. I think I did the old .NET install I mentioned in my last post and it didn't work, either.

Frustrating that posts around the net have people succeeding at getting it to work by doing exactly what I did, too.

I could try it on my HTPC to see, it's running Win 7 64, too. I just hate to mess with my DVR box more than necessary. The more you screw with a 7MC box, the more risk that you'll mess it up

EDIT: Huh, I'd posted over at civfanatics forum, which seemed to be the big site for Civ, and didn't get any responses. Looks like a month later, I did, but never got notified. Try what they are suggesting here. I will later.

Holy crap, the key was the msvcp71.dll file. I had only done the msvc71.dll.

Put both in your SysWOW64 folder. Didn't even bother registering them.

MannishBoy, I was in exactly the same situation - THANK YOU!

dagtiqueg wrote:

MannishBoy, I was in exactly the same situation - THANK YOU!

Glad my pain could help somebody