Neptune's Pride, free browser-based MoO/Spaceward Ho geared toward Diplomacy

I am looking forward to hearing about this game on the podcast.

Well right now I have an AI cushion between me and the rest of the Goodjer Galaxy.

Still not sure if that's a good thing...

I have to give props to the creator, Jay Kyburz, he’s a really nice guy.

Last night I wrote an email, that my purchased credits hadn’t been credited to my account. Today I have an email with his apology for things going wrong, him fixing it and giving me a little extra as compensation. Also pitched him the random player name generator idea and his response was “cool idea”, so we might see that in the future.

So let's say I create a 12 player game and only 10 people join, can I push a "start now" button anyway?

MaverickDago wrote:
Ahh...Crixxus. I'm sorry, what I have I done to you? I've still got my head so far up my...well, you know...that I'm barely able to achieve space flight, let alone scheme against you.

O I thought you were part of the Fedora/Certis powerhouse. You came through on our deal, so your fine with me, just keep yourself from scaring me and we'll be fine.

What powerhouse have your halucinagenic drugs made you imagine?

MrDeVil909 wrote:

I am looking forward to hearing about this game on the podcast.

Yeah, I'm betting Certis's impressions of the game aren't going to be that good.

Luggage wrote:
Latrine wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I am looking forward to hearing about this game on the podcast.

Yeah, I'm betting Certis's impressions of the game aren't going to be that good. :twisted:

Better than Iumogg's from what I could gather... =/

Oh really? People are dumping on the CEO, and the game host again?

Wish there was a spectator mode, obviously that would lead to cheating though. Even an external scoreboard would be awesome.

Latrine wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I am looking forward to hearing about this game on the podcast.

Yeah, I'm betting Certis's impressions of the game aren't going to be that good. :twisted:

Better than Iumogg's from what I could gather... =/

Edit: On different note, since I am now well endowed creditwise, I will go ahead and host a game for willing Goodjers, once enough of you have finished your previous ones. I may drop out at the beginning though, since I find myself challenged enough with the two I am in already. So it will be 11 people smackdown. If you can get to an agreement on some custom settings you would like to try out, I am up for that.

As a starting date I would suggest this or next sunday afternoon, so most of you will be able to do your initial clicks.

For a spectator mode, just get your earliest ally to annihilate you from the game, but leave one system so you can still see what's going on:D

What a nice little apertiff to my MoO2 musings of late. I just put my ht into the free game, Pi Torcularis, and we need 5 more people. Looking forward to recognizing someone in there. WE can rule them all!

What powerhouse have your halucinagenic drugs made you imagine?

My kingdom is wracked by paranoia.

Latrine wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I am looking forward to hearing about this game on the podcast.

Yeah, I'm betting Certis's impressions of the game aren't going to be that good. :twisted:

Starting in the middle of the map on my first game ever has been an experience in pain. Even seeing my overwhelming fleet get destroyed by a defending fleet half the size was an education in and of itself. Blargh.

My only real hesitation with this kind of game is that if you have one busy work day and you don't check in, you can be totally screwed. It's obviously very slow moving, but it still favors the folks who have time to dwell on every action.

You would think, but I've found the games that I check on least seem to do better. I think I over manage.

Or it may be luck.

I do have one game where there is only one other player who hasn't gone AI.

IMAGE(http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9518/npday8a.jpg)

Certis, this is the other extreme. The first three days were really exciting, since both yellow and teal seemed to be making moves on my empire, but now everyone but purple has turned to AI. And purples stats (right side) don't fill me with concern as to who will win this. I think that is the big plus for the arranged games: people are less likely to drop out for several reasons.

pignoli wrote:

For a spectator mode, just get your earliest ally to annihilate you from the game, but leave one system so you can still see what's going on:D

Curious if Dpad or any of us ally with you will you be able to see their entire empire? Thus allowing you to see what's going on far beyond your colony.

I'm not implying the use of some sort of cheating surveillance purposes, I just think it might be a bit boring on your end as you're now in in the heart of Dpad's empire and may see less battles taking place.

Luggage wrote:

So let's say I create a 12 player game and only 10 people join, can I push a "start now" button anyway?

No, you must wait until the game fills up.

Certis wrote:

Starting in the middle of the map on my first game ever has been an experience in pain. Even seeing my overwhelming fleet get destroyed by a defending fleet half the size was an education in and of itself. Blargh.

My only real hesitation with this kind of game is that if you have one busy work day and you don't check in, you can be totally screwed. It's obviously very slow moving, but it still favors the folks who have time to dwell on every action.

Starting on the sides isn't a huge advantage but I guess it would help. Yeah, you lost your fleet because you didn't understand how combat works in the game. The combat calculator is a must, although you shouldn't trust it absolutely since circumstances can change (i.e. more ships from beyond scan range arriving or a change in weapons technology).

I agree that even though the game is slow it helps to check in at least twice a day, but too much more than that is overkill. Sometimes I open it up, look around, and realize that I have no new orders to give. You can spend a lot of time thinking about your moves, but you only have so much agency for long periods of time. But yes, it's definitely not a game where you can just pop in 10 minutes a day and still be on equal footing with everyone.

Latrine wrote:
Certis wrote:

Starting in the middle of the map on my first game ever has been an experience in pain. Even seeing my overwhelming fleet get destroyed by a defending fleet half the size was an education in and of itself. Blargh.

My only real hesitation with this kind of game is that if you have one busy work day and you don't check in, you can be totally screwed. It's obviously very slow moving, but it still favors the folks who have time to dwell on every action.

Starting on the sides isn't a huge advantage but I guess it would help. Yeah, you lost your fleet because you didn't understand how combat works in the game. The combat calculator is a must, although you shouldn't trust it absolutely since circumstances can change (i.e. more ships from beyond scan range arriving or a change in weapons technology).

Yeah, in early game combat the +1 advantage to the defenders is a big deal, when weapon skill starts getting to 7 or 8 it isn't so bad, and you are usually less attached to your fleets by then anyway.

So remember, tomorrow at 12 pm PDT, 3 pm EST, 9 pm CET, I will open up another GWJ free to join game. Plan your time accordingly. If we need to, we can do it later, 3 hours max though, I have to catch some sleep eventually.

Settings will be 32 stars, everything else standard except maybe for starting planets. Just drop a quick comment, if you'd like 4 or 6 starting stars, I'll take the one with more votes.

Link and password will be available in this thread.

Certis wrote:
Latrine wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I am looking forward to hearing about this game on the podcast.

Yeah, I'm betting Certis's impressions of the game aren't going to be that good. :twisted:

Starting in the middle of the map on my first game ever has been an experience in pain. Even seeing my overwhelming fleet get destroyed by a defending fleet half the size was an education in and of itself. Blargh.

My only real hesitation with this kind of game is that if you have one busy work day and you don't check in, you can be totally screwed. It's obviously very slow moving, but it still favors the folks who have time to dwell on every action.

Yeah, in a map this big there are a lot of us who are surrounded. I played a small map and now this large map. I think the next game I start, I'll try the symmetrical maps. There are options to slow things down some so only being able to check in once a day or so would be less detrimental.

I went out of town for a week and didn't have time to play. Now I'm rocking the bottom of the ranks. It may have happened anyways, but with being away I really did myself in.

Well, the game isn't supposed to play itself, leaving it for a week isn't a sound tactical choice.

I'll play Luggage. More stars is better IMHO.

Here you go, goodjers. A new private galactic smackdown just for you.

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game... password: spring

Don't worry, if you're the first one to join, I will not participate, since I am in three games already. According to Jay Kyburz, hosting should work even when the hoster doesn't take a spot himself.

Have fun!

Luggage wrote:

Here you go, goodjers. A new private galactic smackdown just for you.

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game... password: spring

Don't worry, if you're the first one to join, I will not participate, since I am in three games already. According to Jay Kyburz, hosting should work even when the hoster doesn't take a spot himself.

Have fun!

Nice! I wish there was an opportunity to be an observer in a game...just to be able to see the minimap, which doesn't give any info that all the players don't already have.

Luggage wrote:

Here you go, goodjers. A new private galactic smackdown just for you.

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game... password: spring

Don't worry, if you're the first one to join, I will not participate, since I am in three games already. According to Jay Kyburz, hosting should work even when the hoster doesn't take a spot himself.

Have fun!

Alright, I joined in. I'm a Neptune virgin, so go easy on me!

Luggage wrote:

Here you go, goodjers. A new private galactic smackdown just for you.

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game... password: spring

Don't worry, if you're the first one to join, I will not participate, since I am in three games already. According to Jay Kyburz, hosting should work even when the hoster doesn't take a spot himself.

Have fun!

Thanks for setting the game up, I'll give it a try. My first game too.

Come on in folks, the water is filled with treachery, diplomacy and dead neighbors.

But mostly treachery.

I was away this weekend and am pretty afraid to check on the game.

Totally forgot I wouldn't be able to check this, now my plans are all ruined. Bleh, they weren't very good anyway.

In happier news I got 3rd in the pub game I was in and now have a credit!