Neptune's Pride, free browser-based MoO/Spaceward Ho geared toward Diplomacy

il dottore wrote:

Does anybody know if there's a single player game that's kinda like this?

The original Reach For The Stars.

Jumped into my first game today. Let's see how this will turn out. Maybe I'll battlereport, if time allows.

Edit: While pondering your next steps in later stages of the game, try listening to some Jon Hallur ambient tracks. It has helped thousands of space strategists before.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...

pignoli wrote:
Maq wrote:

I reckon I'd be enjoying this more if I wasn't already doing a Civ turn every morning. As it is it's feeling like my job queue starts before I even get to work.

I'm getting a little of this. I have to say (and this has NOTHING to do with my being a terrible Civ player, NOTHING I SAY!) that I think I'm actually enjoying this a little more. I know it has the potential to last as long, but it feels a little more whimsical somehow and I find the endless 'diplomacy' in NP a great source of amusement!

Of all the free games I have played, I think the longest lasted about a month. It's possible, but I don't think this game should last much longer than that.

Man, this game is so cool.

OK so at the begining one guy (orange) contacts me right away asking if I want to set up a NAP. I agree as I'm new and don't want to fight to much, especially early on.
To my north is red, to my left is yellow. To the left of yellow is orange. They are the only people (thus far) in my game that matter to me at all.

So I expand a bit and eventually have to set up a border with red, things go pretty well with him as I leak to him info from orange about an attack on red from yellow. At this point I am growing somewhat suspicious of orange and yellow and I have both put large forces at our natural gap border. Neither of us are able to cross due to range. As I expand a bit more to my south I find an area where I could do a south flank attack on yellow should he attack my main border or if I move on him.

A bit later, I see a small fleet of 22 from him moving to take on of those south planets, no warning or anything. Orange has not spoken to me in a while after I denied his request to attack red with him and yellow (red is pretty powerful right now and I'd like to be friends with him. He is also pals with the 2nd most powerful guy. I am the third. I am being cautious but I'm mainly focused on kicking yellow's ass now for not even having the nerv to declare war on me. An attack on me is one thing but an obvious sneak attack probably hoping I a. don't notice or b. am not there to respond in time is just low.

So I ask red if he's interested in a sync attack on yellow, he's down (he was actually worried I was preparing to attack him after seeing all my fleets and movements). We have decided what he will get and what I will get (he was nice enough to give me the majority) and we are setting up attack plans.

IMAGE(http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5027/28831294.jpg)

Is anyone interested in starting a second game?

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

Man, this game is so cool.

IMAGE(http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5027/28831294.jpg)

Dear Fedora,

Thanks for providing that handy map detailing all of your and your allies positions to me.

xoxo
'd-bag'

Well, you're getting what's comin' then!
And further prove your d-baggyness.

In all likelihood, yes, you guys are about to trample me. I made some mistakes early on (namely listening to orange, who seems afk now) but this game was just for learning. Anyway, enjoy your gifts!

il dottore wrote:

Does anybody know if there's a single player game that's kinda like this?

You should check this thread. We've discussed a few good games there.

d3p0 wrote:

In all likelihood, yes, you guys are about to trample me. I made some mistakes early on (namely listening to orange, who seems afk now) but this game was just for learning. Anyway, enjoy your gifts!

Yeah, I'm new as well and still learning everything and probably made a stupid mistake putting too much in science and blowing a lot of cash I could've spent on industry. I wasn't really planning on fighting at all even though it's just a tiny little star with very little resources you moved on, dammit, IT'S MINE!

What can I say, I got tired of waiting for you to come to me. Btw, is it customary to declare war in these types of games?

I dunno, it seems nice to give some warning before attack since someone might not check on things until you're right at their star but I don't think anyone does it. You could've at least said something like "I'M COMING TO GET YOU, FOOL, MUAHAHAHAHAHHA"

clever id wrote:
il dottore wrote:

Does anybody know if there's a single player game that's kinda like this?

You should check this thread. We've discussed a few good games there.

Thanks!

Like most things in this game it's pretty simple. Garrison ships are just ships at a planet that are not in a fleet. In combat the total number of ships, garrison and fleet, are used to calculate combat.

You can move ships between the garrison and fleet and between fleets as you like.

Hmm, I am currently gathering a group of friends and former guildmates to launch a private premium game. Does somebody have an idea what kind of settings can be made for a premium game? We want to agree on the most convenient setup upfront, so that would be nice to know.

Three to twelve players and a scaling number of planets is all I could gather so far.

If you want to speed the game up you can shorten the production cycle and have your economy pay out more often, it does help pick up the pace. That's what IUMogg did for the game he's hosting.

Faceless Clock wrote:

Is anyone interested in starting a second game?

I would be up for a Goodjer-only game too. I think, I would even sponsor the 50 credits, if we get twelve people together. Maybe Mixolyde can go ahead and edit the initial post with a list of people interested in a new game? On the other hand, we can just open up another game and wait for it to fill up.

Luggage wrote:
Faceless Clock wrote:

Is anyone interested in starting a second game?

I would be up for a Goodjer-only game too. I think, I would even sponsor the 50 credits, if we get twelve people together. Maybe Mixolyde can go ahead and edit the initial post with a list of people interested in a new game? On the other hand, we can just open up another game and wait for it to fill up.

I still have 150 credits. I would be willing to start a new game. I'm currently in a small 8 person gwj game with faster settings. I would be interested in trying a large normal paced game if we could get enough players.

I'm interested in giving it a shot! Looks very cool, just let me know when and where.

IUMogg wrote:

I would be interested in trying a large normal paced game if we could get enough players.

I'd be up for that too. Currently playing my first pubbie game and I'm hooked! I can see how this could be even more fun with a large and stable group.

IUMogg wrote:
Luggage wrote:
Faceless Clock wrote:

Is anyone interested in starting a second game?

I would be up for a Goodjer-only game too. I think, I would even sponsor the 50 credits, if we get twelve people together. Maybe Mixolyde can go ahead and edit the initial post with a list of people interested in a new game? On the other hand, we can just open up another game and wait for it to fill up.

I still have 150 credits. I would be willing to start a new game. I'm currently in a small 8 person gwj game with faster settings. I would be interested in trying a large normal paced game if we could get enough players.

My idea was setting a date and time when the game opens up in this thread. So people can plan ahead to be online at that time and receive a spot ingame. I thought about noon PST on sunday, which should work for all US (afternoon) and Euro (evening) Goodjers (it's the weekend after all).

Just say the word and I'll leave it to you (you have the credits already after all), otherwise I'll create a game and post name and password at the time mentioned above tomorrow.

Luggage wrote:
IUMogg wrote:
Luggage wrote:
Faceless Clock wrote:

Is anyone interested in starting a second game?

I would be up for a Goodjer-only game too. I think, I would even sponsor the 50 credits, if we get twelve people together. Maybe Mixolyde can go ahead and edit the initial post with a list of people interested in a new game? On the other hand, we can just open up another game and wait for it to fill up.

I still have 150 credits. I would be willing to start a new game. I'm currently in a small 8 person gwj game with faster settings. I would be interested in trying a large normal paced game if we could get enough players.

My idea was setting a date and time when the game opens up in this thread. So people can plan ahead to be online at that time and receive a spot ingame. I thought about noon PST on sunday, which should work for all US (afternoon) and Euro (evening) Goodjers (it's the weekend after all).

Just say the word and I'll leave it to you (you have the credits already after all), otherwise I'll create a game and post name and password at the time mentioned above tomorrow.

I'll just start a game a little later tonight. Like in an hour or two. If you want to reserve a spot, send me a message. After that I'll just post the password in the thread and it will be first come first serve.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6868/npday1a.jpg

So I started my first game yesterday. I am very excited and I hope I don't get more than one or two veterans in my game. Since I caught orange, I dub my empire Realm of Rising Sun (RoRS). As you can see, I spent as much money as I could on economy and industry. I figure research won't be that important early on. Or will it?

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2866/npday2a.jpg

Why thanks, murphy-esque karma! For not investing into research, I totally deserved two of the three seemingly stronger players as close proximity neighbours. Well, we can only work with what we have right now, so I contacted both of them. Suggested non-aggression pacts, future borders and told yellow to expand towards red and green, who seem to have missed the start (or dropped out already). Also asked teal to team up on blue, since he hasn't expanded yet either. Hopefully teal will waste time and resources wiping out a seemingly inactive player, while I can build up some strength to prevent teal and yellow teaming up on me.
If I make it into mid/late game, purple and crimson will be tough to deal with, since they have quite some distance between them and red and green look like they are only good for targeting practice right now.

Right now teal and yellow have caught up to my 8 planets. In three hours I get 100 credits and will put these into economy and industry on my newly gained, resource rich planets. If I am facing a two front war in the future, I want to have a huge fleet to be able to hold the line.

Has anyone figured out, how the Garrison mechanic works? Must have missed it in the tutorial.

So I'm pretty positive Red is about to attack me while I'm fighting D-Pad.
Ah well, it was inevitable I guess.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/381/npday2c.jpg

"Well bollocks, lord Gage, we've got contact!"
"Sun help us! What?! Where?! How?!"
"A Keakonians scouting fleet has crossed our norther premises a few hours ago."
"What are they heading for?"
"Ras Alhague, my lord."
"What? That hell hole of a planet? It's barely habitable, isn't it."
"Nothing but rocks, sulfuric oceans and acidic atmosphere, my lord."
"Their closest star, Syrma, is close by. Surely their long range scanners must have already detected the worthlessness of Ras Alhague. What are they up to then?"
"A display of power, your highness?"
"It may well be. Whatever they are planning, we have to be prepared. What world is closest to Ras Alhague?"
"Baten Kaitos, sir."
"Do we have a fleet there?"
"The Izarian alpha fleet left Baten Kaitos a few weeks ago and is heading for Sadalsuud. Your own order, my lord."
"I know what I ordered. Sadalsuud will make a formidable new colony. But it will be in great danger if the Keakonians cross our borders unopposed."
"What do you suggest, oh wise one?"
"Baten Kaitos must hold its own. Send them material and personnel to build a standard industrial complex, so they can start producing their defense fleet."
"But lord Gage, the budget for this year has already been strained heavily. I don't think the treasury secretary would approve."
"You're not paid to think! Do as I say and let me worry about the secretary. If we lose the northern colonies, we will have much bigger things to worry about."
"I am not sure I follow, my lord."
"I was told, you were among the best of your class at the academy and the only student since its founding that ever beat the headmaster in the annual tactics competition."
"That's correct, lord Gage."
"Then why don't you tell me, what the Realm of the Rising Sun may be facing over the next decade?"
"Well sir, we have the Keakonians on our northern border and the Tak conglomerate to the west. Both of them are our closest neighbours and both probably noticed we started expanding our realm these last years, just as they did. All three of our worlds bought the long range space propulsion technology from the Rince Fire Empire at about the same time, but the core worlds of the RFE are too far away to consider using the technology in a campaign against them.
Also, there haven't been news from the core worlds of the Tetra Eta Space Triad to our northwest in years, so they pose no threat to anyone. Both the Keakonians and the Tak know that we are backed into the corner, figuratively speaking. If they want to stop us before we become a force to be reckoned with, they need to team up and take us on soon. That and the fact, that the diplomatic ships we send to the Keakonians and the Tak headquarters haven't returned yet, could mean bad news."

"Yes, bad news indeed. May the Rising Sun help us."

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3405/npday2d.jpg

So either teal is really nosy, brave or he's smart enough to know he may catch me with my pants down early on, if I neglect my defenses. Luckily the star he's about to take has resource value 1 and I hastily upgraded the northern most star I hold to industry +1, so it will build up defense forces slowly. As you can see, I invested most my money today into economy, so I can get my first science upgrade tomorrow and have enough left to fortify my northern border.

I also have a bad feeling about yellow. Neither of them answered my message, so they may already have teamed up on me. I better prepare myself for the worst. I guess I'll know more in about twelve hours, when my western and southwestern fleet enter the borderlands to yellow's territory.

Sadly it looks like we have three to four inactive guys in the game already, so purple can have a field day in the south west of the galaxy.

That was a pretty cool read, much better than my story telling

I started a new game. 12 players, large map, 6 starting planets. Everything else is standard.

Here is a link to the game. the password is "engage"

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game...

Well you're kicking my butt in the other game, but I won't hold it against you in this one.

IUMogg wrote:

I started a new game. 12 players, large map, 6 starting planets. Everything else is standard.

Here is a link to the game. the password is "engage"

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game...

In as Mattdoommaster

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

So I'm pretty positive Red is about to attack me while I'm fighting D-Pad.
Ah well, it was inevitable I guess.

D-Pad must have some bulldozers attached to his fleet because he's steamrolling through the entire southern galaxy.