Neptune's Pride, free browser-based MoO/Spaceward Ho geared toward Diplomacy

Pages

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/02/...

Iron Helmet was founded by Jay Kyburz, a former Irrational Games developer who has been making video games for over 12 years. His credits include Freedom Force, Tribes, Swat and of course Bioshock.

Our first game, Neptune's Pride is in open Beta right now. Go check it out at http://np.ironhelmet.com.

Browser-based MoO, but with simplified gameplay and interesting Diplomacy options. Only downside is fairly slow fleet movement (around 20 - 28 hours of real-time for most trips when first starting). Great interface for a web game. Also, free!

I've already started a free game, and don't want to play two at once, just yet. Use this thread to meet up!

looks interesting

Interesting. You can even log in with your google account. Screenshots and video's make it look very interactive for a browser game.

I joined the beginner game "250: Omega Chara". I'm the 2nd of 8 players. Guess it won't let me start until the game is full.

Copingsaw wrote:

Interesting. You can even log in with your google account. Screenshots and video's make it look very interactive for a browser game.

I joined the beginner game "250: Omega Chara". I'm the 2nd of 8 players. Guess it won't let me start until the game is full.

I joined the same game.

As did I.

This looks like it could have potential. The whole 'real-time RTS browser' thing makes me incredibly wary though. Would love to hear more from you guys.

It all will depend on how well they implement it.

It looks like it will be slow enough that you don't need to pay attention to it every hour of the day.

So far I am digging this game. A few things I like ...

1. It takes maybe 10 minutes to go through the tutorial and another 10 minutes to go through all the options and figure out what you are doing. Yet, there are hints that the game may have some depth.

2. The interface is crisp, clean and attractive.

3. It is a game where your not going to help yourself much by logging in and doing things every half-hour. In other words, the pimply-faced high school kid who just dropped out of school to sit in front of his computer and play video games all day shouldn't have too much of an advantage over me.

Game 255: Delta Megrez has 6 spots open as of typing this.

I agree with Copingsaw on all points. Definitely slower paced real-time than, say, Ikariam. The depth is really in the diplomacy side.

Copingsaw's right. After about 20 minutes of fiddling I figured out what I was doing. I can see this being a nice work time waster. Just log on once a day, set your stuff and go.

So far:
-improved a few planets
-built a new carrier
-renamed all my carriers (Serius Alpha, Serius Beta, etc.)
-apparently I'm upgrading my weapons but have it set to switch to speed as soon as that's done
-set some waypoints to explore new planets

This looks neat. I'm going through the tutorial right now. I'll post what game I've joined once I've picked.

*cough*

For my own part, I quickly burned out on the game. I felt like I did far too little in the course of twenty-four hours. Without a clear sense of what remained to do and a feeling like I had almost, but not quite, completed a goal, I felt little need to log back into a game.

To capture new stars, do I just visit? Or can I not capture new stars?

Kind of reminds me of Eve, except Neptune's Pride is fully aware it's a game you shouldn't play for hours upon hours.

Staats wrote:

To capture new stars, do I just visit? Or can I not capture new stars?

Just visit, you'll get some info once you're in range, and then options to upgrade after your fleet lands.

Sorry about the *cough*!

Mixolyde wrote:

Sorry about the *cough*!

No worries. The other thread kinda died on the vine.

Do you have to have a ship on a planet to be considered yours?

Okay, I've joined Game "261: Nu Ain" looks like there's 4 slots open.

Vector wrote:

Do you have to have a ship on a planet to be considered yours?

No, you just have to have visited. You can leave them empty. Of course, then they're ripe for taking.

Mixolyde wrote:
Vector wrote:

Do you have to have a ship on a planet to be considered yours?

No, you just have to have visited. You can leave them empty. Of course, then they're ripe for taking.

Great. I've been leaving a token garrison at my starting planets. Was not sure if I should do the same thing on the more fringe ones. Odds are I'll have my border planets heavily reinforced.

Edit: Pretend I said "stars" instead of "planets".

Vector wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:
Vector wrote:

Do you have to have a ship on a planet to be considered yours?

No, you just have to have visited. You can leave them empty. Of course, then they're ripe for taking.

Great. I've been leaving a token garrison at my starting planets. Was not sure if I should do the same thing on the more fringe ones. Odds are I'll have my border planets heavily reinforced.

Edit: Pretend I said "stars" instead of "planets".

Yah, I made the same mistake, thinking I would need to garrison my main planets. It seems for now that anybody who wants to attack you shouldn't yet be able to warp far enough to do anything but get at your outlying planets. Oh well. In any case, I have been leaving most 'conquered' planets defenseless on the strength in numbers theory with my fleets. Also, it would make sense that those planets without an economy really have no need to be defended.

Anyone still interested I just joined a game, 7 spots left. Game 272, I'm Dr Dinosaur.

Interesting game. Staats and I ended up in the same eight player game and are dominating so far.

Anybody know of any more web based once-a-day games like this?

A cool thing about the interface, if you click on one of the other players' planets, you can see their scan and flight ranges from it. Looks like everyone can see everyone else's tech levels, too.

Teneman wrote:

Interesting game. Staats and I ended up in the same eight player game and are dominating so far.

Anybody know of any more web based once-a-day games like this?

Most of the browser-mmo games at http://en.mmogame.com/ operate similarly, but are a bit quicker paced. At one time a lot of people were on ikarium, I like OGame a lot.

So I think I got the shaft on starting location. I'm right in the middle and far from everything...
IMAGE(http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5729/nept1custom.png)
The green lines are where I'm heading, but I STILL haven't reached any other planets yet. I've tried initiating dialogue with all the players but I've only made contact with the "orange" player. We'll see how things go, but so far I'm enjoying it. It's nice and quick, which is great because I have time to check it and don't feel any pressure to do so. The game it self is pretty simple, but if I wanted a complex space game I'd just go play Eve or Gal Civ or something.

Hmm, this seems like a fascinating Sins of a Solar Empire Lite (in a longer play time but shorter time investment kinda way) though I never got a chance to play Sins. Hopefully my ADD-addled attention span can handle this style.

B Slippy and I just joined game #302 if there are any other GWJers who want to hop in.

clever id wrote:

So I think I got the shaft on starting location. I'm right in the middle and far from everything...

You did, that's horrible. While everyone starts with the same resource total for their first four planets, I've noticed that the quality of starting areas can be significantly different. You are at a disadvantage ans you will be building your economy slower than your competition.

I am still digging this game. I actually started a second game as the first was moving a little slow to be engaging enough for me. Unfortunately, in the second game I think only three of us are actively playing so the challenge isn't really there.

Copingsaw wrote:
clever id wrote:

So I think I got the shaft on starting location. I'm right in the middle and far from everything...

You did, that's horrible. While everyone starts with the same resource total for their first four planets, I've noticed that the quality of starting areas can be significantly different. You are at a disadvantage ans you will be building your economy slower than your competition.

I am still digging this game. I actually started a second game as the first was moving a little slow to be engaging enough for me. Unfortunately, in the second game I think only three of us are actively playing so the challenge isn't really there.

Well I finally reached the outer planets and have upgraded my ship speed twice. I've caught up to most people in the planet numbers race and I'm hoping to catch up my economy soon. I'm hoping to use the large distances I had to go as a "shield" and heavily fortify the "jump planets". Starting location aside, I'm enjoying this. I may have missed it, but are there "official" treaties or just verbal agreements?

clever id wrote:

I may have missed it, but are there "official" treaties or just verbal agreements?

Nope, just good 'ol fashion diplomacy. That's half the fun of the game. Who can you trust?

I just joined my first game, 312: Sigma Enif, if anyone would like to join me.

Copingsaw wrote:
clever id wrote:

I may have missed it, but are there "official" treaties or just verbal agreements?

Nope, just good 'ol fashion diplomacy. That's half the fun of the game. Who can you trust?

Thanks cool. I dig it, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't a loon in front of my galactic neighbors. My game is right at the boiling point where the stars are all claimed. I've had peaceful discussion with 2 neighbors but am feel threatened by a third... there is a dark cloud on the horizon.

Pages