Fallout: New Vegas - Fall 2010

FO3 was more stable (less crashes), but FO:NV has more references to the first two Fallouts. If you haven't played either of the first games, I'd go with FO3. Puce made mods for that too. Link

Stengah wrote:

FO3 was more stable (less crashes), but FO:NV has more references to the first two Fallouts. If you haven't played either of the first games, I'd go with FO3. Puce made mods for that too. Link

Yeah, I started looking through those mods. I spent ~120-130 hours in the Capital Wasteland finishing the main and almost all side quests. I spent ~200 hours in NV and haven't finished the main quest. The former I played with my wife, the latter almost exclusively solo. Maybe that's a good reason to go FO3.

NV was less stable? I figured they ironed 'em both out more or less identically. I played each on PS3, though.

And then NSMike solves the problem with a thoughtful and super-timely gift!
Thanks, NSMike!!!?()$6$

$5 bucks? My rig could handle NV but only played it on PS3 as my wife's platform of choice. Damn if that isn't tempting.

Ok, my FO:NV stopped working correctly. I can launch it just fine, but when i get in, my mouse and most of my keyboard don't work. I tried verifying the cache, but even though it says it re-downloads the corrupt file, the game still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

1. If your keyboard functions on the main menu, use it to navigate to Options, from there to Controls, and see if 360 Controller is enabled. Disable it.

2. If it isn't, try going to C:\Users\*yourwindowsusername*\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV - Ensure the game is closed, and then delete "Fallout.ini" and "FalloutPrefs.ini". Be careful not to delete the entire folder, as this is where your savegame files are. When next you start the game, you'll have to reconfigure resolution etc.

3. Repeat the first step.

4. Still no? Are you using any mods that might be conflicting?

People who prefer FO:3 to FO:NV? What manner of blasphemy is this? There's a whole thread for this kind of insanity.

I can only wonder how it must feel to be so incredibly wrong....

gore wrote:

People who prefer FO:3 to FO:NV? What manner of blasphemy is this? There's a whole thread for this kind of insanity.

I can only wonder how it must feel to be so incredibly wrong....

Not to contaminate the thread, but I still think the setting of FO:3 is far superior. Not going to speak to anything else about it, though the setting is a huge part of the game's appeal.

gore wrote:

People who prefer FO:3 to FO:NV? What manner of blasphemy is this? There's a whole thread for this kind of insanity.

I can only wonder how it must feel to be so incredibly wrong....

To be honest, I liked the Enclave. I felt that NV missed some of the really awesome threats because it didn't have the Enclave. The engine in NV is more refined and I loved the weapon mods, but I really wish it had that bigger overall enemy. The dudes in skirts just didn't cut it for me.

Hyetal wrote:

1. If your keyboard functions on the main menu, use it to navigate to Options, from there to Controls, and see if 360 Controller is enabled. Disable it.

2. If it isn't, try going to C:Users*yourwindowsusername*DocumentsMy GamesFalloutNV - Ensure the game is closed, and then delete "Fallout.ini" and "FalloutPrefs.ini". Be careful not to delete the entire folder, as this is where your savegame files are. When next you start the game, you'll have to reconfigure resolution etc.

3. Repeat the first step.

4. Still no? Are you using any mods that might be conflicting?

Well, I'm a genius. I plugged in my 360 controller weeks ago for another game and its still there. A-doy!

Hyetal wrote:

1. If your keyboard functions on the main menu, use it to navigate to Options, from there to Controls, and see if 360 Controller is enabled. Disable it.

2. If it isn't, try going to C:Users*yourwindowsusername*DocumentsMy GamesFalloutNV - Ensure the game is closed, and then delete "Fallout.ini" and "FalloutPrefs.ini". Be careful not to delete the entire folder, as this is where your savegame files are. When next you start the game, you'll have to reconfigure resolution etc.

3. Repeat the first step.

4. Still no? Are you using any mods that might be conflicting?

Well, I'm a genius. I plugged in my 360 controller weeks ago for another game and its still there. A-doy!

LobsterMobster wrote:
gore wrote:

People who prefer FO:3 to FO:NV? What manner of blasphemy is this? There's a whole thread for this kind of insanity.

I can only wonder how it must feel to be so incredibly wrong....

Not to contaminate the thread, but I still think the setting of FO:3 is far superior. Not going to speak to anything else about it, though the setting is a huge part of the game's appeal.

BlackSabre wrote:

To be honest, I liked the Enclave. I felt that NV missed some of the really awesome threats because it didn't have the Enclave. The engine in NV is more refined and I loved the weapon mods, but I really wish it had that bigger overall enemy. The dudes in skirts just didn't cut it for me.

FO3 was my introduction to modern gaming. I felt as giddy leaving the vault, as hopeful of exploring a new world, as if I had actually been a vault dweller. Prior to this, most of my gaming was either very light Wii gaming or PS 1/2 gaming back in the day.

I haven't moved out too far really, but I wonder what it'll be like to go back and have that experience all over again. As it is, I can't say if I like one more than the other.

I have played 3 through twice, as well as New Vegas and all the dlc for New Vegas, but never the FO3 dlc. Is the FO3 dlc worth going back for? The baxe FO3 game I played pretty completely.

LobsterMobster wrote:
gore wrote:

People who prefer FO:3 to FO:NV? What manner of blasphemy is this? There's a whole thread for this kind of insanity.

I can only wonder how it must feel to be so incredibly wrong....

Not to contaminate the thread, but I still think the setting of FO:3 is far superior. Not going to speak to anything else about it, though the setting is a huge part of the game's appeal.

+1

Nekroman wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
gore wrote:

People who prefer FO:3 to FO:NV? What manner of blasphemy is this? There's a whole thread for this kind of insanity.

I can only wonder how it must feel to be so incredibly wrong....

Not to contaminate the thread, but I still think the setting of FO:3 is far superior. Not going to speak to anything else about it, though the setting is a huge part of the game's appeal.

+1

+++1+1+1+1+

Whereas to me, NV had a more entertaining and interesting setting. Maybe that was just a case of more interesting places to go though. Don't get me wrong, NV doesn't beat out 3 by a LOT, but I really do prefer NV to 3.

Hey folks, I just joined GWJ to post in this thread a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd share this link for anyone that just got New Vegas ridiculously cheap off Steam:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?10108-Fallout-Mod-Vegas-Modding-New-Vegas-in-2013

I didn't take everything discussed there, but I found this modding guide very useful overall.

Infernarl wrote:

I have played 3 through twice, as well as New Vegas and all the dlc for New Vegas, but never the FO3 dlc. Is the FO3 dlc worth going back for? The baxe FO3 game I played pretty completely.

Broken Steel adds new content but more importantly allows you to wander the wastes again. Point Lookout is Deliverance creepy and hard with some nice moments. I played and enjoyed them all, but not everyone is so impressed.

I've got a general Fallout PC question.

I was gifted and purchased both the GOTY versions of Fallout 3 & New Vegas. I downloaded and installed both. Fallout 3 fires up and runs just fine. However, I'm not seeing how to launch any of the DLC content (Broken Steel, Point Lookout, etc.).

When I launch the game there a small bootup window that has a Data Files link. Opening it shows the DLC packs with check boxes. I tried to check only one DLC box and then launch the game, but it just went straight to my original Fallout 3 vanilla game save, with no indication on how to get to the DLC content.

Anybody have any leads?

The DLC are added to the main game, so long as they're checked as active, they'll be part of your game. You may need to explore a bit to find their triggers though. With FO3 I seem to remember some hassle involved with activating the DLC via GFWL in addition to just having the .esm files checked.

Aaron D. wrote:

I've got a general Fallout PC question.

I was gifted and purchased both the GOTY versions of Fallout 3 & New Vegas. I downloaded and installed both. Fallout 3 fires up and runs just fine. However, I'm not seeing how to launch any of the DLC content (Broken Steel, Point Lookout, etc.).

When I launch the game there a small bootup window that has a Data Files link. Opening it shows the DLC packs with check boxes. I tried to check only one DLC box and then launch the game, but it just went straight to my original Fallout 3 vanilla game save, with no indication on how to get to the DLC content.

Anybody have any leads?

Essentially all "Bethesda" DLC is integrated with the game. There's usually relatively clear indicators in-game as to how you can access the content. For instance, Broken Steel is accessible after you've completed the main questline.

If you're having trouble discerning the starting point for a particular piece of DLC, both Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV have very detailed wiki pages, and the precise stage of the game from which to start a DLC is clearly explained in its respective article. Broken Steel article as an example.

Edit: Ooooooh, Stengah!

muraii wrote:
Infernarl wrote:

I have played 3 through twice, as well as New Vegas and all the dlc for New Vegas, but never the FO3 dlc. Is the FO3 dlc worth going back for? The baxe FO3 game I played pretty completely.

Broken Steel adds new content but more importantly allows you to wander the wastes again. Point Lookout is Deliverance creepy and hard with some nice moments. I played and enjoyed them all, but not everyone is so impressed.

Mothership Zeta is amusing in concept, but lacking in execution (though finding the audio recording of all the abductees throughout history was pretty funny). Harkens back to the alien scifi of the era much of the rest of Fallout is drawn from too.

The Pitt has its moments as well (the main interest for me being running around the scrapyard looking for all of the ingots). But I would argue that the DLC shouldn't have had any Karmic rewards/detriments, as both sides of that conflict come off slimy as hell.

Operation Anchorage... meh. It's kind of irritating, and if you don't have small guns skill, you're not going to have fun with combat.

That said, you get some insanely good rewards for it including a stealthsuit that gives you a stealthboy camo effect when sneaking. It's usually the first place I go after getting started in new games of FO3 JUST for that armor.

EDIT: Also worth noting that you'll know when they are "working" because when you get into a game, you'll receive radio notifications on your Pip-boy for new stations and new quests.

Demosthenes wrote:

EDIT: Also worth noting that you'll know when they are "working" because when you get into a game, you'll receive radio notifications on your Pip-boy for new stations and new quests.

Oh, and there's that, too.

Got it, so the DLC is triggered within the game.

Guess that means I want all the DLC boxes toggled on before I fire up the full game?

Thanks, guys.

Correct.

Demosthenes wrote:
muraii wrote:
Infernarl wrote:

I have played 3 through twice, as well as New Vegas and all the dlc for New Vegas, but never the FO3 dlc. Is the FO3 dlc worth going back for? The baxe FO3 game I played pretty completely.

Broken Steel adds new content but more importantly allows you to wander the wastes again. Point Lookout is Deliverance creepy and hard with some nice moments. I played and enjoyed them all, but not everyone is so impressed.

Mothership Zeta is amusing in concept, but lacking in execution (though finding the audio recording of all the abductees throughout history was pretty funny). Harkens back to the alien scifi of the era much of the rest of Fallout is drawn from too.

Operation Anchorage... meh. It's kind of irritating, and if you don't have small guns skill, you're not going to have fun with combat.

That said, you get some insanely good rewards for it including a stealthsuit that gives you a stealthboy camo effect when sneaking. It's usually the first place I go after getting started in new games of FO3 JUST for that armor.

That armor is just this side of overpowered. I played the rest of the game crouching and sniping with a Gauss rifle. It does wear down relatively quickly, but the main saving grace in terms of balance is that it engages ONLY when you're crouched.

Is there significant difference in working with GECK between FO3 and NV?

muraii wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
muraii wrote:
Infernarl wrote:

I have played 3 through twice, as well as New Vegas and all the dlc for New Vegas, but never the FO3 dlc. Is the FO3 dlc worth going back for? The baxe FO3 game I played pretty completely.

Broken Steel adds new content but more importantly allows you to wander the wastes again. Point Lookout is Deliverance creepy and hard with some nice moments. I played and enjoyed them all, but not everyone is so impressed.

Mothership Zeta is amusing in concept, but lacking in execution (though finding the audio recording of all the abductees throughout history was pretty funny). Harkens back to the alien scifi of the era much of the rest of Fallout is drawn from too.

Operation Anchorage... meh. It's kind of irritating, and if you don't have small guns skill, you're not going to have fun with combat.

That said, you get some insanely good rewards for it including a stealthsuit that gives you a stealthboy camo effect when sneaking. It's usually the first place I go after getting started in new games of FO3 JUST for that armor.

That armor is just this side of overpowered. I played the rest of the game crouching and sniping with a Gauss rifle. It does wear down relatively quickly, but the main saving grace in terms of balance is that it engages ONLY when you're crouched.

Is there significant difference in working with GECK between FO3 and NV?

They're just about identical; The New Vegas version adds a few new options, but also does a few bizarre things (like eliminating the error check option for scripting, which makes it like programming without any debug tools). Luckily you can fix most of these new issues with some mods that "re-power" the GECK.

Hey guys
I played NV back when it came out, maybe about 35 hours, never finished the main quest but I had fun.
Never got the DLC. but now the ultimate edition will add all the DLC for just 5 usd, a bargain, so im thinking of getting it and jumping back in.
My question is about modding and the Nexus mod manager, ive been playing a heavily modded skyrim for a while and I dont think i could play an un modded New Vegas, but at first glance modding NV seems a bit tricky. I really just want to enjoy the game, i dont want to get bogged down in ini files and script extenders etc
Are a lot of the most popular graphic/body/hair/re texture mods just a Nexus mod manager one click install ? or is it a rabbit hole ?

Most stuff is either going to override stuff already in the game (eg. a better texture/model) or add something new (eg. a weapon) or change something in the world where there was nothing before (eg. a new dungeon). The complex bit is where two mods conflict, both trying to change the same thing in which case you need to decide which one to keep, or a more complex gameplay changing mod that conflicts with another.

Installing 95% of mods is just putting files into the data folder, which NMM takes care of for you. A few have extra instructions to follow. Just take it slow and don't try and do everything at once. Keeping separate new saves every so often is good practise modded or not because the engine is prone to doing weird stuff and messing up.

Thanks Scratched.
Ive bitten the bullet and updated to the ultimate edition.
I didnt mod New Vegas when i played it a few years ago, but I will this time.
Are there any MUST HAVE mods ? or is it all personal preference?
Ive been playing a heavily modded skyrim using the Nexus Mod Manager so I want to do it using that program ,I also dont want to get bogged down in ini files and spend more time looking at mods than actually playing the game.

Just want something to expand the number of songs (dislike country and western), make ME look better- body,hair,outfits , make the environment look better and maybe a few highly recommended tweaks to improve the gameplay.

any recommendations guys ?
thanks