Fallout: New Vegas - Fall 2010

SommerMatt wrote:

I played FO:NV for the first time in a few months, and was curious as to what the ramifications of my actions might be re: Caesar's fort.

Spoiler:

I've played the game up to this point as a pretty loyal NCR person. I got the first chip, and was invited to go to the Legion fort to get the other one. I went there, turned on the bots for Mr. House, and then pretty much just went on a murder spree throughout the encampment. Using a ton of stimpacks, I killed Caesar, all his underlings, and anyone else that moved. I guess my question is this-- did I screw up anything by doing this?

Well,

Spoiler:

When I played it, my ending occurred at Caesar's fort (I can't remember if I went with the NCR or Mr. House for the ending. Pretty sure it was Mr. House.) After I defeated Caesar, my game pretty much ended. I had to use a mod to continue after that. So, if you've already defeated him... *shrug* You're probably fine. Just go with it, man. Preemptive strike those guys. The legionnaires are pricks anyways.

That's what I'd say. Speaking generically, part of why I loved this game is because I really couldn't "mess up". I chose to follow the story wherever it went.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

I played FO:NV for the first time in a few months, and was curious as to what the ramifications of my actions might be re: Caesar's fort.

Spoiler:

I've played the game up to this point as a pretty loyal NCR person. I got the first chip, and was invited to go to the Legion fort to get the other one. I went there, turned on the bots for Mr. House, and then pretty much just went on a murder spree throughout the encampment. Using a ton of stimpacks, I killed Caesar, all his underlings, and anyone else that moved. I guess my question is this-- did I screw up anything by doing this?

Well,

Spoiler:

When I played it, my ending occurred at Caesar's fort (I can't remember if I went with the NCR or Mr. House for the ending. Pretty sure it was Mr. House.) After I defeated Caesar, my game pretty much ended. I had to use a mod to continue after that. So, if you've already defeated him... *shrug* You're probably fine. Just go with it, man. Preemptive strike those guys. The legionnaires are pricks anyways.

Spoiler:

Must have been for Mr. House. I just finished it a few days ago with the NCR ending and they didn't send me after Caesar at all, they only cared about Legate Lanius. I was kind of surprised. Forced me to reload my game so I could go put some bullets in the bastard.

About Caesar and who you face at the ending...

Spoiler:

If you support the Legion in the game you will eventually find out that Caesar is dying; saving him is part of the main quest there. I suspect that if you are supporting one of the other three factions then Caesar himself is probably either bedridden or dead anyway by that point, which is why the final showdown is with the Legate

SommerMatt wrote:

I played FO:NV for the first time in a few months, and was curious as to what the ramifications of my actions might be re: Caesar's fort.

Spoiler:

I've played the game up to this point as a pretty loyal NCR person. I got the first chip, and was invited to go to the Legion fort to get the other one. I went there, turned on the bots for Mr. House, and then pretty much just went on a murder spree throughout the encampment. Using a ton of stimpacks, I killed Caesar, all his underlings, and anyone else that moved. I guess my question is this-- did I screw up anything by doing this?

I thought this was pretty much the only way to get out of there without doing what he wants.

Rykin wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

I played FO:NV for the first time in a few months, and was curious as to what the ramifications of my actions might be re: Caesar's fort.

Spoiler:

I've played the game up to this point as a pretty loyal NCR person. I got the first chip, and was invited to go to the Legion fort to get the other one. I went there, turned on the bots for Mr. House, and then pretty much just went on a murder spree throughout the encampment. Using a ton of stimpacks, I killed Caesar, all his underlings, and anyone else that moved. I guess my question is this-- did I screw up anything by doing this?

I thought this was pretty much the only way to get out of there without doing what he wants.

Spoiler:

Nope. You can just walk right out, because he THINKS you did what he wanted. If you say you won't work for him any more, he still lets you leave.

I notice Lonesome Road -- as well as all the other DLC -- is on sale on the Yet Another Goddamn Steam Sale. Yea or nay for a fiver?

Alien Love Gardener wrote:

I notice Lonesome Road -- as well as all the other DLC -- is on sale on the Yet Another Goddamn Steam Sale. Yea or nay for a fiver?

Wait until the last day in case it's on a daily deal.

Good point. Now I just have to overcome the temptation of Risen and I'll have made it through a whole day of a steam sale without buying anything.

Aaand...a couple of hours later all things New Vegas are 75% off.

Forgive this filthy skimmer, but I wanted to play F:NV withoutknowing too much about it. Since the dlc is on sale, is there one in particular I should get, like one that raises the level cap a la Brotherhood of Steel?

Happy Thanksgiving everybody

Each DLC raises the level cap by five. I think Old World Blues is universally agreed to be the standout DLC. Honest Hearts had a pretty environment, but the main story was very flat. Dead Money is very well written, and the gameplay is a real change of pace that some don't care for at all, but I personally found pretty nifty.

Thanks, that makes it an easy decision

At $2.50 per DLC, you might as well just buy them all.

Yup, finally adding lonesome road. It's the last one that I need and $2.50 is a sweet price. Probably get around to playing it during the christmas break.

Alien Love Gardener wrote:

Each DLC raises the level cap by five. I think Old World Blues is universally agreed to be the standout DLC. Honest Hearts had a pretty environment, but the main story was very flat. Dead Money is very well written, and the gameplay is a real change of pace that some don't care for at all, but I personally found pretty nifty.

I really enjoyed Dead Money. Agree on Honest Hearts. Just bought the 2nd pair of DLC and threw in those damn item packs because what the hell, right?

I paid $10 for each and didn't regret it so $10 for all of them is a hell of a deal.

I was going to wait for the forthcoming GOTY addition to be on sale, but with everything being 75% off I picked everything up today.

Anyone have a list of must have mods or a link to a post in these 88 pages that has the list already?

The thing is, the GOTY/Ultimate version is going to be equivalent to what's on sale now, unless Obsidian have developed something else I don't know about. I think the main purpose of the GOTY edition is to get a second wind at retail with the expansions.

Finally grabbed Lonesome Road for $2.50. Figure even if it sucks, it's only $2.50.

Certain kinds of cymbal hits make me think I'm being stung by Cazadores. PSHHHHH. Startles me every time (in the game).

Thanks for reminding me that I really should get back to this and finish off the last DLC. Now to schedule some time.... hmmm...

I also need to finish the last part of old world blues and then the last DLC that I have already downloaded...

I never finished New Vegas, and lost all my save files when my PS3 crashed. Last night, I decided it was time to jump back in. It felt like coming home again. The music, the atmosphere, and the gameplay were just what I was in the mood for, and it was an absolute joy. I think I'm going to take a nice romp through the Vegas Wasteland over this weekend.

I hope you had a good weekend in the Wastelands.

So I started Old World Blues at level 16 and it was just way too hard. I hated it. I hope it doesn't sour me on the whole DLC.

gregrampage wrote:

So I started Old World Blues at level 16 and it was just way too hard. I hated it. I hope it doesn't sour me on the whole DLC.

I could've sworn that was a level 25+ DLC and that there's a warning about it before you begin.

Edit: I was wrong, it says 15+. Even at a high level the combat was tough and there were too damn many enemies, IMO. I believe there was a mod out that changes that. I'll see if I can find it.

Here: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43945

silentsod wrote:
gregrampage wrote:

So I started Old World Blues at level 16 and it was just way too hard. I hated it. I hope it doesn't sour me on the whole DLC.

I could've sworn that was a level 25+ DLC and that there's a warning about it before you begin.

Edit: I was wrong, it says 15+. Even at a high level the combat was tough and there were too damn many enemies, IMO. I believe there was a mod out that changes that. I'll see if I can find it.

Here: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43945

25+ makes sense. I'll probably go back around that point.

It was probably the toughest part of New Vegas for me, and I went in at level 35 or so. I'm guessing the enemies scale based on when you first encounter them, though.

That was my favorite DLC by far, though.

I'm on the last one (for me), Dead Money, and I'm not digging the gameplay. At least I find the companions interesting, and I'll just complete it to see their story through.

I found the villas part of DM dragged for me, so I put on god mode and powered through it.