Fallout: New Vegas - Fall 2010

Finally finished last night. Missed some things, but I just wanted to end it. Probably go back and start a new character and try one of the other endings. Although I'm not too keen on siding with Caesar's Legion, but will probably still do it.

Still have to do Dead Money and Honest Hearts DLC too. But, Battlefield 3 beta tonight... so... may have to wait a week!

Just finished Lonesome Road, with my character getting to to lvl 47 (went in at 43). The thing is I finished the story without ever once entering the Courier's Mile section. Since this DLC is so linear I don't think I ever got a quest to even go to that area, so I went back to check it out:

Spoiler:

Good grief. Constant radiation exposure I can handle. Bands of 3-5 Marked Men? tough, but I can usually handle those as well. The single deathclaw? Sure. But 3 deathclaws at a time? I think I managed to take out one before getting mauled.

Is there any point to this area? Some uber weapon or other item?

MacBrave wrote:

Just finished Lonesome Road, with my character getting to to lvl 47 (went in at 43). The thing is I finished the story without ever once entering the Courier's Mile section. Since this DLC is so linear I don't think I ever got a quest to even go to that area, so I went back to check it out:

Spoiler:

Good grief. Constant radiation exposure I can handle. Bands of 3-5 Marked Men? tough, but I can usually handle those as well. The single deathclaw? Sure. But 3 deathclaws at a time? I think I managed to take out one before getting mauled.

Is there any point to this area? Some uber weapon or other item?

Short answer no

Spoiler:

There is a unique knife stuck to a lamp post just as you walk in. Other than 2 nukes to shoot for the achievement and a bunch of ammo there is zero reason for the place

Baron Of Hell wrote:
Spoiler:

There is a way to get the bips and beeps translated. You either have to do something in OWBs or maybe have a high science score. Whichever it is ED-E was fully translated for me. I'm pretty sure it was from OWBs

Interesting, I had 100 on science when I went in. There must be some sort of perk you can get from OWB then.

Yeah, I'm at Science 95 and only get things like "Excited Beeping". Maybe it's one of the robot-related perks?

I do hear all the audio logs it plays.

mcdonis wrote:

Short answer no

Spoiler:

There is a unique knife stuck to a lamp post just as you walk in. Other than 2 nukes to shoot for the achievement and a bunch of ammo there is zero reason for the place

Uggh, I was afraid of that. Achievements be damned!

Just finished Dead Money. I enjoyed myself but I have trouble imagining going back on any other play-throughs.

Agent 86 wrote:

Just finished Dead Money. I enjoyed myself but I have trouble imagining going back on any other play-throughs.

Yea that is also the way I felt. Maybe if I am hard up for caps I might do a run through so I can grab a bunch of those gold bars again.

I will play through it to see what other ways I can end the final encounter.

I'd say my biggest complaint was the amount of xp awarded seemed way to high. I went in at level 26 and came out just shy of 32. Which I suppose, now that I typed it out, is roughly the xp needed to get the five levels added by the DLC but when playing I seemed to be earning it way to fast. In particular the amount awarded for killing ghost people seemed high.

Did the game ever explain where those ghost people came from?

People who had found their way to the Sierra Madre and were somehow affected or altered by the Cloud. And something to do with the hazmat suits from Old World Blues.

Edit: Found this on the Fallout Wiki

Fallout Wiki wrote:

The ghost people originate from the construction workers before the war who were mutated from the cloud, but have several ties to inhuman experiments of Big MT. They wear the hazmat suits that were provided to the construction crews working on the Sierra Madre Villa before the Great War, but if they are those crews, they have changed into something no longer quite human. According to data from terminals in the medical section of the Sierra Madre, construction workers at the site first received their hazmat suits specially created in the Big MT after a gas leak sent one of them to the hospital. A terminal in Big MT states that the gas leak itself was also created at Big MT, the hazmat suits being an "experiment within an experiment." The hazmat suit was bulky, nearly impossible to speak through, grew stiff with use, had locks that, after contact with The Cloud, corroded to the point where the hazmat suit had to be cut open with a cosmic knife, and still didn't provide proper protection from the poisonous gas cloud.

Ok, have an issue. This is my first play through. I'm at the prison and I was attempting to find the sheriff that can be used for Primm (?). It seems everyone in the prison attacks me, including the named guys. When I wear the gang clothes in the prison, the named guys still show red to me and attack, although the Powder gang does not. Next, I had a real issue clearing out the administration bldg, I thought the sherriff may be held there but he wasn't. Where is he and what am I doing wrong?

karmajay wrote:

Ok, have an issue. This is my first play through. I'm at the prison and I was attempting to find the sheriff that can be used for Primm (?). It seems everyone in the prison attacks me, including the named guys. When I wear the gang clothes in the prison, the named guys still show red to me and attack, although the Powder gang does not. Next, I had a real issue clearing out the administration bldg, I thought the sherriff may be held there but he wasn't. Where is he and what am I doing wrong?

Wearing faction clothes won't fool named guys.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
karmajay wrote:

Ok, have an issue. This is my first play through. I'm at the prison and I was attempting to find the sheriff that can be used for Primm (?). It seems everyone in the prison attacks me, including the named guys. When I wear the gang clothes in the prison, the named guys still show red to me and attack, although the Powder gang does not. Next, I had a real issue clearing out the administration bldg, I thought the sherriff may be held there but he wasn't. Where is he and what am I doing wrong?

Wearing faction clothes won't fool named guys.

Well, is the sherriff in the prison cause I've killed everyone else it seems?

karmajay wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:
karmajay wrote:

Ok, have an issue. This is my first play through. I'm at the prison and I was attempting to find the sheriff that can be used for Primm (?). It seems everyone in the prison attacks me, including the named guys. When I wear the gang clothes in the prison, the named guys still show red to me and attack, although the Powder gang does not. Next, I had a real issue clearing out the administration bldg, I thought the sherriff may be held there but he wasn't. Where is he and what am I doing wrong?

Wearing faction clothes won't fool named guys.

Well, is the sherriff in the prison cause I've killed everyone else it seems? :)

Yup there is
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/My_Kin...

Lothar wrote:
karmajay wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:
karmajay wrote:

Ok, have an issue. This is my first play through. I'm at the prison and I was attempting to find the sheriff that can be used for Primm (?). It seems everyone in the prison attacks me, including the named guys. When I wear the gang clothes in the prison, the named guys still show red to me and attack, although the Powder gang does not. Next, I had a real issue clearing out the administration bldg, I thought the sherriff may be held there but he wasn't. Where is he and what am I doing wrong?

Wearing faction clothes won't fool named guys.

Well, is the sherriff in the prison cause I've killed everyone else it seems? :)

Yup there is
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/My_Kin...

hehe Found him right after I typed about. next on my list is it seems I lose karma when you take stuff. Everyone in the prison is dead yet I can't open a safe or box withour losing karma.

karmajay wrote:
Lothar wrote:
karmajay wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:
karmajay wrote:

Ok, have an issue. This is my first play through. I'm at the prison and I was attempting to find the sheriff that can be used for Primm (?). It seems everyone in the prison attacks me, including the named guys. When I wear the gang clothes in the prison, the named guys still show red to me and attack, although the Powder gang does not. Next, I had a real issue clearing out the administration bldg, I thought the sherriff may be held there but he wasn't. Where is he and what am I doing wrong?

Wearing faction clothes won't fool named guys.

Well, is the sherriff in the prison cause I've killed everyone else it seems? :)

Yup there is
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/My_Kin...

hehe Found him right after I typed about. next on my list is it seems I lose karma when you take stuff. Everyone in the prison is dead yet I can't open a safe or box withour losing karma. :(

As far as I could tell, karma doesn't mean jack in New Vegas.

karmajay wrote:

hehe Found him right after I typed about. next on my list is it seems I lose karma when you take stuff. Everyone in the prison is dead yet I can't open a safe or box withour losing karma. :(

Fallout just doesn't like you stealing. No real way in game to avoid losing karma for stealing items, but you can turn off the notification and sounds with a mod I think.

karmajay wrote:

next on my list is it seems I lose karma when you take stuff. Everyone in the prison is dead yet I can't open a safe or box withour losing karma. :(

Telling you this feels a bit weird because of your username, but karma really doesn't matter much in NV. Your reputation with different factions is much more important.

Plus, you probably got more good karma from killing those Powder Gangers than you'll lose from taking their stuff.

I killed the sheriff accidentally the first time, mistaking him for an enemy in the heat of battle. But he should be friendly unless you shoot him.

Karma don't mean jack.

I think Karma plays out in the ending slides. Whether you were good and just or a ruthless jerk. But really, has no impact on the game. Only reputation with the different factions plays any sort of role.

I'm probably the last person to notice this, but it just occurred to me that is a Wizard of Oz influence in Old World Blues.

Just to be safe...

Spoiler:

1) You're suddenly swept away from your familiar home to a strange, faraway land
2) You have to search for your heart, your brain and your "courage" (aka, your spine).
3) The big baddie, who is threatening and dangerous on a projection screen turns out to be a harmless old man.

Dunno if that was deliberate or not, but kind of amusing.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I killed the sheriff accidentally the first time,

Did you shoot the deputy also?

I did not shoot the deputy!

Baron Of Hell wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I killed the sheriff accidentally the first time,

Did you shoot the deputy also?

I am just a plain beagle now.

Someone should write a mod where you get positive karma for shooting him

I'm a dirty filthy skimmer that is looking to put some hours into this game this weekend.. I need a really awesome Mod Manager for the PC that will make it easy to enable some mods.. of which I need to know the "crucial" ones to make the game mostly look amazing and immersive.

Please help Obi-Wan

Fallout Mod Manager is the de facto standard.

TheGameguru wrote:

I'm a dirty filthy skimmer that is looking to put some hours into this game this weekend.. I need a really awesome Mod Manager for the PC that will make it easy to enable some mods.. of which I need to know the "crucial" ones to make the game mostly look amazing and immersive.

Please help Obi-Wan

FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager) is really the only option that I would choose.

Once you download a mod you can use its "Package Manager" it will install that mod for you and enable it. I would recommend you install one mod at a time and test before you move on to the next one. Yes it can take a bit if you plan on installing 40 mods, but you never quite know how mods will work together.

hmm.. I got a 4GB Hires texture pack.. it was 4 .rar files that I extracted to a folder.. how do I get that working with FOMM?