Fallout: New Vegas - Fall 2010

garion333 wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

New Screenshots :)

Looks exactly like Fallout 3 to me. Well, excluding UI stuff. I'm actually a little saddened by that.

An unfair reaction, but I totally agree. Oh well.

garion333 wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

New Screenshots :)

Looks exactly like Fallout 3 to me. Well, excluding UI stuff. I'm actually a little saddened by that.

You mean other than the greenery, different setting and new weapons? Were you expecting them to upgrade the engine as well in the two years of development time?

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
garion333 wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

New Screenshots :)

Looks exactly like Fallout 3 to me. Well, excluding UI stuff. I'm actually a little saddened by that.

An unfair reaction, but I totally agree. Oh well.

All it means is they are concentrating on the writing. Obsidian isn't exactly known for putting together stable engines. Maximizing what they're good at. I hope.

Captain_Arrrg wrote:
garion333 wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

New Screenshots :)

Looks exactly like Fallout 3 to me. Well, excluding UI stuff. I'm actually a little saddened by that.

You mean other than the greenery, different setting and new weapons? Were you expecting them to upgrade the engine as well in the two years of development time?

Yup. It's not in 3d so it's a big fat fail from me.

It just looks like more Fallout 3. I was hoping for a bit more noticeable differences, yes. I didn't say the world was ending or anything. I still can't wait to see the strip.

garion333 wrote:

I still can't wait to see the strip.

There are nudity mods, y'know.

IIRC this game was always going to use the same engine as Fallout 3, so the similarities in look aren't a big disappointment to me since I never had any expectations to the contrary. Here's hoping that by the time the inevitable Fallout 4 rolls around, though, Bethesda will be able to tap the id boys for an engine that doesn't make the character animations look like crap. F3 and Oblivion did enough things right that I was willing to overlook the jankiness of the engine, but that doesn't mean that a good-looking game in that style wouldn't be a welcome change.

I wonder if they're planning on unleashing a similar year-long DLC bonanza with New Vegas as they did with F3? That was really cool when they did it with F3, but it might almost be overkill to do it all again. Considering that I just got done with the F3 DLC and New Vegas is coming in like six months, I think that by the time I get done with that game I might be ready for a little break from Fallout.

Wow, ready for a break from Fallout. Never thought I'd say those words.

garion333 wrote:

I still can't wait to see the strip.

Yeah, this. I've only been there once, but I'm curious to see how their versions jives with my memories of the strip.

I wonder if you'll be able to import Fallout 3 characters.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
garion333 wrote:

I still can't wait to see the strip.

Yeah, this. I've only been there once, but I'm curious to see how their versions jives with my memories of the strip.

If the game gets blurry and randomly jumps from place to place, I'd say it would be fairly spot-on.

Rat Boy wrote:

If the game gets blurry and randomly jumps from place to place, I'd say it would be fairly spot-on.

I hope there are hoards of Ghouls handing out prostitute business cards illustrated with pics of porn stars downloaded from the internet. (The cards illustrated, not the Ghouls, btw.)

See I was just happy to see Geckos. The fact that it's the same engine isn't a big deal to me. You can still make improvements to the engine without replacing it.

I would agree though with Fallout 4 using the Rage engine. Now that will be nice

The PC Gamer article seemed to indicate there were some small(?) tweaks to the karma/reputation system and how it relates to various factions/populations in game. It sounds like that could be setting up a more fluid like/dislike with "villagers", "shop keepers" than just the Brotherhood good, Enclave Bad that we saw in FO3. Which I think would be cool.

In general I'm not disappointed in the use of the same engine. I figure I'm getting a entire NEW world the size of the DC wastes to explore and am looking forward to seeing what locations they come up with. They seem to hint toward visiting some FO1 & FO2 locations so thats cool.

Higgledy wrote:

I wonder if you'll be able to import Fallout 3 characters.

You play a new character who is not a vault dweller. It wouldn't make any sense narratively to let you import characters.

Plus I want the fun of starting fresh again. The game is about leveling and gaining xp. It ceases to be fun when you hit the max level.

BlackSabre wrote:

Plus I want the fun of starting fresh again. The game is about leveling and gaining xp. It ceases to be fun when you hit the max level.

Actually, I disagree somewhat. Leveling up is fun, I don't dispute that.

However, the most fun I had with Fallout 3 was when I could kill Supermutants with one headshot from Lincoln's repeater. Being the biggest bad-arse in the wasteland is awesome.

Well, that's sort of why leveling up is so fun. Early on, the game funnels you into playing this very methodical, cautious style, always trying to get that sneak attack critical, always conserving your ammo and chems. And then, at one point or another, you get into that one battle where you finally go all-out and pull out your big gun and chug all your chems at once, and you win handily, and you realize, "Holy crap! I've become a badass!" It's so much more rewarding to start relatively weak and turn into a badass than to be handed a badass to play from the beginning.

After I became a badass, however, I got extremely bored. After finishing the game, I think I've taken three other characters to the vanilla level cap. It's much more interesting to me to explore with characters who can turn someone into a pile of gibs simply by looking at someone.

And to bring us back on topic. VEGAAAAAAS!!

garion333 wrote:

And to bring us back on topic. VEGAAAAAAS!! :P

Must not have had my coffee yet-- I read that as VEGAAAAAAANS!!

The Official UK xbox 360 mag podcast has an interview with Bethesda about New Vegas.

Higgledy wrote:

The Official UK xbox 360 mag podcast has an interview with Bethesda about New Vegas.

Dude! Awesome!

Hmm... what about those of us without itunes? Any direct MP3 download available?

BlackSabre wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

The Official UK xbox 360 mag podcast has an interview with Bethesda about New Vegas.

Dude! Awesome!

Hmm... what about those of us without itunes? Any direct MP3 download available?

Here is their site but I can see now way to listen to the podcast directly (unless I'm missing it.) I was part way through listening when I posted the link and they promptly stopped talking about New Vegas after that but it's still interesting.

Ok, if this comes out this year I think I'm going to have to grab it. A swag of new info has been released:

Fallout: New Vegas

IMAGE(http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/07/22/72235_FalloutNewVegas-WeaponRender-04_normal.jpg)

Key Features:

# Feel the Heat in New Vegas! Not even nuclear fallout could slow the hustle of Sin City. Explore the vast expanses of the desert wastelands – from the small towns dotting the Mojave Wasteland to the bright lights of the New Vegas strip. See the Great Southwest as could only be imagined in Fallout.

# Feuding Factions, Colorful Characters and a Host of Hostiles! A war is brewing between rival factions with consequences that will change the lives of all the inhabitants of New Vegas. The choices you make will bring you into contact with countless characters, creatures, allies, and foes, and determine the final explosive outcome of this epic power struggle.

# New Systems! Enjoy new additions to Fallout: New Vegas such as a Companion Wheel that streamlines directing your companions, a Reputation System that tracks the consequences of your actions, and the aptly titled Hardcore Mode to separate the meek from the mighty. Special melee combat moves have been added to bring new meaning to the phrase “up close and personal”. Use V.A.T.S. to pause time in combat, target specific enemy body parts and queue up attacks, or get right to the action using the finely-tuned real-time combat mechanics.

# An Arsenal of Shiny New Guns! With double the amount of weapons found in Fallout 3, you’ll have more than enough new and exciting ways to deal with the threats of the wasteland and the locals. In addition, Vault-Tec engineers have devised a new weapons configuration system that lets you tinker with your toys and see the modifications you make in real time.

# Let it Ride! In a huge, open world with unlimited options you can see the sights, choose sides, or go it alone. Peacemaker or Hard Case, House Rules, or the Wild Card - it’s all in how you play the game.

At this point, all I really want to know at this point is if they've added groin shots back to VATS.

I wouldn't mind being able to murder children again. Not that I ever actually exercised the option, but it's the principle of the thing.

It's looking good. The graphics have a nice polish to them now and I like a lot of the ideas they are putting into the game.

hbi2k wrote:

I wouldn't mind being able to murder children again. Not that I ever actually exercised the option, but it's the principle of the thing.

Totally not going to happen. There are (and someone can probably with more accuracy or depth explain this) various laws in parts of Europe and maybe Australia that mandate that video games cannot allow you to take any kind of violent action against a character that is established as a minor. Or rather, you cannot take any in-game action against a minor, I think depictions of violence against minors (ie. one of your choices in DA:O is ok because you aren't actively fighting him).

What if they put a line in the manual establishing that all "children" in the game are in fact vampires who were turned at a young age, but in actuality are hundreds of years old?

Heh, they look like children? That'd be enough for the politicians who don't actually experience any piece of the content to go to town.

Demosthenes wrote:
hbi2k wrote:

I wouldn't mind being able to murder children again. Not that I ever actually exercised the option, but it's the principle of the thing.

Totally not going to happen. There are (and someone can probably with more accuracy or depth explain this) various laws in parts of Europe and maybe Australia that mandate that video games cannot allow you to take any kind of violent action against a character that is established as a minor. Or rather, you cannot take any in-game action against a minor, I think depictions of violence against minors (ie. one of your choices in DA:O is ok because you aren't actively fighting him).

It's not in the core game. There were mods for fallout 3 that allowed it.

So like, why is committing violence against children so much worse than committing violence in general? At what age does a person become suitably killable?