Fallout: New Vegas - Fall 2010

Montalban wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

As a tangent to the drug angle, am I the only one who feels like it feels easier to act like a dick to people than in Fallout 3?

Because of the new reputation system, I find myself not really caring if I'm walking around hopped up on drugs and stealing everything that isn't nailed down. As far as I can tell, my karma means diddly squat as long as I'm idolized by the general public for taking care of local problems (or bribing local officials to put in a good word for me).

I'm still a nice guy in conversations and I don't randomly shoot people, but I have no problem robbing you blind.

I only saw a karma option show up once in an optional dialogue branch. Why did I need to be reminded that I lost karma for 10,000 petty thefts?

Just finished it. That is a badass game.

Spoiler:

Stuck with House the whole way through. Only regret is that a quest that ingratiated the Kings with the NCR later sours their relationship with House, so they get wiped out. Makes sense, but I didn't think that far ahead. Played almost the whole game with Cass and Rex. They go sickhouse on people's asses, and this I enjoy.

LobsterMobster wrote:

I made a nice non-grenade, cannon-version of the "grenade machine gun." Can't seem to get it to show up in-game though. Anyone know a guide to a good walkthrough for making giant guns appear out of thin air?

By the way, it seems that if you use console commands on the Steam version it disables achievements. Worth note if you're big on those.

FWIW I used the console command to go to the location of ED-E when he was lost and I'm still getting achievements on Steam. Maybe it doesn't consider that one that breaks the achievement things for some reason.

Great, thanks to a bug Felicia won't tag along with me, so I ended up replacing her with Chuck, whom I just found out is actually younger than me. The crap you learn from the Fallout Wikia.

It only disables the achievements until the game is reset. When you close out of the game console command stuff is reset (such as godmode or noclip). So when you come back in achievements will be available again until you use a console command.

Also, regarding the end:

Spoiler:

House really got me pumped for an epic ass battle "the greatest battle since the great war" or whatever. It was actually pretty small scale and lame. Compared to the battling in Operation Anchorage, Broken Steel, and the end battle of Fallout 3 this was pretty unimpressive. Though the boomers flying over in the bomber was pretty cool.

Rat Boy wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:

Vault 34... That place will haunt my dreams.

Spoiler:

I'll never throw away another RadAway or scoff at another radiation suit again...

This. And...

Spoiler:

It turns out you didn't need to go there in the first place.

Just paid V34 a visit. Eff that place. Seriously.

Spoiler:

Although the well stocked armoury at the end was welcome compensation for getting through in one piece

I just did Cook Cook and annihilated him, he wasn't an issue at all but I had ED-E and Boone with me.

I probably could have done it alone though but I had more problems with the Golf Guy.

LobsterMobster wrote:

I made a nice non-grenade, cannon-version of the "grenade machine gun." Can't seem to get it to show up in-game though. Anyone know a guide to a good walkthrough for making giant guns appear out of thin air?

By the way, it seems that if you use console commands on the Steam version it disables achievements. Worth note if you're big on those.

I have used the console to resummon Ed-E after he disappeared inexplicably, and have gotten achievements since.

I was just saying what I'd heard.

So no one knows of any good tutorials?

ruhk wrote:

After almost a week I have encountered my fourth bug on the 360! I rerolled a new character yesterday to play on hardcore for the cheevo, and while I was walking to Primm shooting my way through Powder Ganger after Powder Ganger, suddenly they stopped shooting at me and will no longer attack me unless I attack them first (though doing so no longer seems to alter my rep with them nor give me negative karma). They also appear friendly on my radar, even though my Pip-boy rep screen clearly tells me that they should not be. I can walk right though the NCRP facility without anyone raising an eyebrow.

Had you made it to Primm and gotten the town's main quest there? The same thing happened to me but I assumed it was because one of the options for that quest is to (trying to be non-spoilery) talk to someone in the prison. I walked in there and they warned that they didn't like me but as long as I didn't do anything stupid I could come in to find who I was looking for. After that they went back to their usual enemy status for me.

[quote=FedoraMcQuaid]

Grubber788 wrote:

Vault 34... That place will haunt my dreams.

Spoiler:

I'll never throw away another RadAway or scoff at another radiation suit again...

Spoiler:

I felt the same way after searching for just one last dogtag at camp searchlight for like an hour...

weird i cant post this without it showing up in quotes...

Spoiler:

making it into the armory there though makes it all worth while!

Lothar wrote:

I just did Cook Cook and annihilated him, he wasn't an issue at all but I had ED-E and Boone with me.

I probably could have done it alone though but I had more problems with the Golf Guy.

Spoiler:

I have teh unique sniper rifle and a high sneak and dont have too much problems out in the open like they are but the Major suggests to shoot his pet cow first. I did and he went nuts attacking everyone around him. Everyone died except 1 fiend which i easily finished off. Walked into camp and picked up the head.

ruhk wrote:

After almost a week I have encountered my fourth bug on the 360! I rerolled a new character yesterday to play on hardcore for the cheevo, and while I was walking to Primm shooting my way through Powder Ganger after Powder Ganger, suddenly they stopped shooting at me and will no longer attack me unless I attack them first (though doing so no longer seems to alter my rep with them nor give me negative karma). They also appear friendly on my radar, even though my Pip-boy rep screen clearly tells me that they should not be. I can walk right though the NCRP facility without anyone raising an eyebrow.

This happened to me yesterday too. Maybe after you kill enough PowderGangers they respect you for your street cred.. even though they hate you.

I can rationalize it away.

This is a Fallout 3 question, but i figured it was ok to ask here as it is related to the game engine. I'm having an issue with my mouse in the interfaces. It feels as if the mouse has some extreme mouse acceleration on it. If I move the mouse very slowly, everything seems to work well. But if I move the mouse quickly, it jumps across the screen extremely quickly. (Now I know, Duh! I'm moving the mouse fast, of course it should go faster. But what I'm saying is when moving the mouse slowly, it takes about 4 inches of mouse movement to move across the screen. When moving the mouse quickly, it takes about 1 inch to move across the screen.) Does anyone have any clue what's going on and how to change it? In the actual gameplay, it works fine. But in VATS, Pip-Boy and in the menu, it freaks out.

Tkyl wrote:

This is a Fallout 3 question, but i figured it was ok to ask here as it is related to the game engine. I'm having an issue with my mouse in the interfaces. It feels as if the mouse has some extreme mouse acceleration on it. If I move the mouse very slowly, everything seems to work well. But if I move the mouse quickly, it jumps across the screen extremely quickly. (Now I know, Duh! I'm moving the mouse fast, of course it should go faster. But what I'm saying is when moving the mouse slowly, it takes about 4 inches of mouse movement to move across the screen. When moving the mouse quickly, it takes about 1 inch to move across the screen.) Does anyone have any clue what's going on and how to change it? In the actual gameplay, it works fine. But in VATS, Pip-Boy and in the menu, it freaks out.

Someone posted a mod for that a few pages back.

Tkyl wrote:

This is a Fallout 3 question, but i figured it was ok to ask here as it is related to the game engine. I'm having an issue with my mouse in the interfaces. It feels as if the mouse has some extreme mouse acceleration on it. If I move the mouse very slowly, everything seems to work well. But if I move the mouse quickly, it jumps across the screen extremely quickly. (Now I know, Duh! I'm moving the mouse fast, of course it should go faster. But what I'm saying is when moving the mouse slowly, it takes about 4 inches of mouse movement to move across the screen. When moving the mouse quickly, it takes about 1 inch to move across the screen.) Does anyone have any clue what's going on and how to change it? In the actual gameplay, it works fine. But in VATS, Pip-Boy and in the menu, it freaks out.

Known common bug.. here's the "official" fix for it:

* Step 1: Open the Fallout.ini in the My Games/Fallout 3 folder
(Don't forget to make a backup!)
* Step 2: Add the following lines to the [Controls] section:
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0
* Increase the value of fForegroundMouseMult= if you want
cursor acceleration e.g. 2.0 or 3.7 etc
Vega wrote:
Tkyl wrote:

This is a Fallout 3 question, but i figured it was ok to ask here as it is related to the game engine. I'm having an issue with my mouse in the interfaces. It feels as if the mouse has some extreme mouse acceleration on it. If I move the mouse very slowly, everything seems to work well. But if I move the mouse quickly, it jumps across the screen extremely quickly. (Now I know, Duh! I'm moving the mouse fast, of course it should go faster. But what I'm saying is when moving the mouse slowly, it takes about 4 inches of mouse movement to move across the screen. When moving the mouse quickly, it takes about 1 inch to move across the screen.) Does anyone have any clue what's going on and how to change it? In the actual gameplay, it works fine. But in VATS, Pip-Boy and in the menu, it freaks out.

Known common bug.. here's the "official" fix for it:

* Step 1: Open the Fallout.ini in the My Games/Fallout 3 folder
(Don't forget to make a backup!)
* Step 2: Add the following lines to the [Controls] section:
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0
* Increase the value of fForegroundMouseMult= if you want
cursor acceleration e.g. 2.0 or 3.7 etc

Awesome, thanks!

LobsterMobster wrote:

I was just saying what I'd heard.

So no one knows of any good tutorials?

If you want to add a weapon you've made to the game, the quickest way is to use an additem console command:
As an example, using player.additem 0000433C 1 gives one frag mine to the player.
For your custom weapon, find the FORMID in the Geck (next to Editor ID) and jot that down. Let's say it's 123456.
Then, you'd use
player.additem xx123456 1
to give yourself the shiny new gun, where xx is the mod's ID. Since FOMM is not yet out for NV as far as I know, you'll have to manually determinet the mod load number; if it's the only mod you're using, it should be 01. If not, then 02, 03, etc.
There's also a weapon tutorial here; it's for Fallout 3 but little has changed for New Vegas.

Yeah, that's what I've found, Puce. It keeps telling me it can't find the item unless I use 05 for the first two numbers, in which case it says it's not a valid item.

I know how I'd LIKE to put it in the game but I'm going to be honest with myself, it'll never happen. Best I might manage is tucking a chest somewhere and putting it inside.

Thanks for the link.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Yeah, that's what I've found, Puce. It keeps telling me it can't find the item unless I use 05 for the first two numbers, in which case it says it's not a valid item.

I know how I'd LIKE to put it in the game but I'm going to be honest with myself, it'll never happen. Best I might manage is tucking a chest somewhere and putting it inside.

Thanks for the link.

One easy way to stick it in the game and run across the chance to find it randomly:
Look in the GECK for the Leveled Item ClutterSafe100NV. Drag your weapon from the Object window into that leveled list. Once you do, save it, and make sure to enable your mod in the 'data files' section of the launcher. Then, you'll have a 20% chance to find your gun in a safe, making it likely you'll stumble across it at some point at random. If you want to make it more likely than 20%, you can drag multiple copies of the gun over to the window.

Caravan broke on me last night, and I'm curious if it's me not knowing the rules, or if the game actually bugged out. I was playing with Ringo, and the game went like this:
1 - He plays a 9, I play a 9
2 - He plays a 4, I play a 4
3 - He plays a 9, I draw a Joker and can't play it. At all.
4 - I discard, draw a 9, and can't play it. This step repeats until I've drawn out my whole pile, and eventually have to fold.

Why couldn't I play any card in my 3rd caravan? Reading the rules, it says I should be able to play any numbered card to start a caravan, but it wouldn't let me. Also, how the heck do you pick different cards out of your hand? I could only select the top card each time. Am I missing something?

Oh, and the interface for managing your Caravan deck sucks. Big time. Seriously, clicking on arrows on opposite sides of the screen to scroll 1 card at a time? Who the hell thought up this interface?

You use arrow keys for managing your deck, picking different cards in your hand, and for selecting which Caravan to play your card on.

Vega wrote:

You use arrow keys for managing your deck, picking different cards in your hand, and for selecting which Caravan to play your card on.

This key bit of information would have been so incredibly useful to have been told last night. Ringo, our rematch is at hand!

Oh man, sniper rifle + sneak + silencer = fun times

Took out everyone in a Legion occupied town from a distance one at a time. Great stuff.

Almost made up for the fact it took me freakin' for-EVER to find how to reach Camp Foxtrot.

Spoiler:

turns out you need to go north AROUND the mountains then south...wish I tried it that way round to start with instead of going around the hills from the Khan's place in the south

stevenmack wrote:

Oh man, sniper rifle + sneak + silencer = fun times

Took out everyone in a Legion occupied town from a distance one at a time. Great stuff.

Almost made up for the fact it took me freakin' for-EVER to find how to reach Camp Foxtrot.

Spoiler:

turns out you need to go north AROUND the mountains then south...wish I tried it that way round to start with instead of going around the hills from the Khan's place in the south

Where'd you pick up a silencer for that rifle? (You can spoiler tag it obviously)

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

Also, regarding the end:

Spoiler:

House really got me pumped for an epic ass battle "the greatest battle since the great war" or whatever. It was actually pretty small scale and lame. Compared to the battling in Operation Anchorage, Broken Steel, and the end battle of Fallout 3 this was pretty unimpressive. Though the boomers flying over in the bomber was pretty cool.

While my ending was not that, it was more lopsided than epic.

Spoiler:

I went the destroy NCR and The Legion route. The battle with Caesar's underling (and minions) was hard and I would say that battle was stacked against me. But I triumphed (hehe). The showdown with NCR was stacked in my favor and they went with wimper in the sunset. I would of been more satisfied if both encounters were more evenly balanced.

Grubber788 wrote:
stevenmack wrote:

Oh man, sniper rifle + sneak + silencer = fun times

Took out everyone in a Legion occupied town from a distance one at a time. Great stuff.

Almost made up for the fact it took me freakin' for-EVER to find how to reach Camp Foxtrot.

Spoiler:

turns out you need to go north AROUND the mountains then south...wish I tried it that way round to start with instead of going around the hills from the Khan's place in the south

Where'd you pick up a silencer for that rifle? (You can spoiler tag it obviously) :)

I had a similar experience with the hunting rifle. I added a scope to it and a few other mods and I was sneak attack critting bramin and killing them in 1 shot. I'm playing on normal. The same worked with a random group of powder gangers. They couldn't see me. This doesn't work for me in VATS since VATS wont target at that range, but I just used regular mode. It's quite fun and they don't know where you are as you said. I think the sniper rifle would be even better since I think it does about twice the damage.

----
Does anyone know if you can craft weapons like the dart gun and deathclaw gauntlet? I can't find any reasonable way to take on deathclaws. I looked up where to find and then acquired the Alien Blaster which tears them apart, but this feels less legitimate than using the dart gun to cripple their legs.

ahrezmendi wrote:
Vega wrote:

You use arrow keys for managing your deck, picking different cards in your hand, and for selecting which Caravan to play your card on.

This key bit of information would have been so incredibly useful to have been told last night. Ringo, our rematch is at hand!

I ran into the same problem the other night, except not only did they not tell me to use the arrow keys, my arrow keys weren't even working. I pressed every key on my keyboard trying to figure out how to work the game and couldn't do anything except play my top card or discard it. I had to restart the game two or three times before it started recognising my arrow key input.

Does anyone know if you can craft weapons like the dart gun and deathclaw gauntlet? I can't find any reasonable way to take on deathclaws. I looked up where to find and then acquired the Alien Blaster which tears them apart, but this feels less legitimate than using the dart gun to cripple their legs.

No more OP dart gun. That thing could even disable the behemoths. Workbench now only makes a handful of explosives, and stimpaks and is mostly for energy weapon ammo management.

Anyone using Lily Bowen, has anyone had luck giving her a superior weapon? Right in the mission she wants to tag along on, you find the most kickass melee weapon, but she won't use it. I'm assuming it's an oversight, as all the other NPCs seem happy to use whatever superior weapon you give them. I even tried doing google searches for a mod? Cause I can see a ton of potential in Lily as my sneaking buddy. Boone is great, he's like 3d Cassidy blah blah, I know, but he just takes incredibly loud potshots at enemies, and pretty much ruins my creeping. And he's on "passive" too.

Also, Lily's personality seems way more fun. I really want to use her if anyone knows a workaround to the weapon situation.

mooosicle wrote:
Does anyone know if you can craft weapons like the dart gun and deathclaw gauntlet? I can't find any reasonable way to take on deathclaws. I looked up where to find and then acquired the Alien Blaster which tears them apart, but this feels less legitimate than using the dart gun to cripple their legs.

No more OP dart gun. That thing could even disable the behemoths. Workbench now only makes a handful of explosives, and stimpaks and is mostly for energy weapon ammo management.

I wouldn't call those weapons OP in Fallout 3. The game never explained what they did, why they are so great, how to use them, how to get them, or provide an easy way to get all the supplies needed to make them. The schematics cost a whole lot and didn't tell you why the gun was so awesome. "Dart gun, sounds stupid, moving along..." At the end of the day, they were great toys to play around with. I think Fallout does a terrible job of providing a fun challenge in just trying to "beat" the game. I think the game is all about making your own fun. For example, deciding to wear a certain outfit because it's a fun idea and using specific weapons because its fun. Planting explosives in some Khan's pants, walking away, and detonating them... Why get rid of the fun toys? Is there a non-cheap way to fight deathclaws?

mooosicle wrote:
Does anyone know if you can craft weapons like the dart gun and deathclaw gauntlet? I can't find any reasonable way to take on deathclaws. I looked up where to find and then acquired the Alien Blaster which tears them apart, but this feels less legitimate than using the dart gun to cripple their legs.

No more OP dart gun. That thing could even disable the behemoths. Workbench now only makes a handful of explosives, and stimpaks and is mostly for energy weapon ammo management.

Anyone using Lily Bowen, has anyone had luck giving her a superior weapon? Right in the mission she wants to tag along on, you find the most kickass melee weapon, but she won't use it. I'm assuming it's an oversight, as all the other NPCs seem happy to use whatever superior weapon you give them. I even tried doing google searches for a mod? Cause I can see a ton of potential in Lily as my sneaking buddy. Boone is great, he's like 3d Cassidy blah blah, I know, but he just takes incredibly loud potshots at enemies, and pretty much ruins my creeping. And he's on "passive" too.

Also, Lily's personality seems way more fun. I really want to use her if anyone knows a workaround to the weapon situation.

Got to love Boone, on passive, stick close settings he was running around

Spoiler:

Vault 34

killing everything that moved.

I think it's hilarious, but I can foresee a future where he kills someone important and I never find the body.