Fallout: New Vegas - Fall 2010

Montalban wrote:
FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

Considering how elite the rangers are supposed to be there sure are a lot of them.

If you figure that they're so elite they survive battles when the regular grunts don't, I suppose you can chalk it up to survival of the fittest.

Also: Felicia has a deep back story. (no out of context theatre please) Do all recruit-able followers have mission-rich back stories?

That's actually a pretty good point.

And from what I've seen the companions have some really good back. The only one I've found lacking so far is Lily.

polq37 wrote:

The geckos are adorable.

Yes! I get a big goofy grin everytime they run at me with their OWN big goofy grins
Almost a shame to shoot them in the face.

Almost.

(Fast little blighters too).

Also...was it just my imagination or did a bunch of Rad Scorpions actually try to flank and outmaneuver me? I could have sworn a couple of the smaller ones were side-stepping around to attack me from behind while I was busy with their larger friend.

That's it. I'm not going within 100 yards of a Cazdor ever again.
Damn hard to hit, fast, move in swarms, always just behind a hill so I can't hit them at range, do TONs of damage on top of poison, and have lots of health. They also seem to make a beeline for companions.
I hate them SO much.

If you're walking and a bunch of red lines moving around erratically come up on your compass, GO AROUND.

Man if you have the Weathered 10mm Pistol from Pre-Order DLC do not mod it on the 360. Can't speak for PC or PS3 but when I mod it it dissapears and I have a giant red rectangle with a white ! point on it. I think its just a database issue that that piece of DLC doesn't have the modded gun textures assigned to it. Pretty stupid mistake by Obsidian, but then again it is Obsidian. Can't seem to register on the Bethesda forums for FNV but read others are having same issue. Anyway I felt the need to vent it somewhere.

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

That's it. I'm not going within 100 yards of a Cazdor ever again.
Damn hard to hit, fast, move in swarms, always just behind a hill so I can't hit them at range, do TONs of damage on top of poison, and have lots of health. They also seem to make a beeline for companions.
I hate them SO much.

If you're walking and a bunch of red lines moving around erratically come up on your compass, GO AROUND.

I've lost more Stimpacks trying to fight Cazdors than any other type of enemy right now. I fast traveled to a Cazdor cave at night and died in an instant before I even knew what hit me.

Started playing yesterday. The CE is pretty epic, the bonus goodies are well-made. Kept myself busy leafing through the graphic novel while the game installed.

Game-wise it seems to be more coherent and stringent than Fallout 3. I'm about 6-7 hours in, just stepped into the missile facility with the ghouls (that's where I thought 'f*** you too, Fallout'). The engine is clearly showing its age though, and in those 7 hours the game crashed on me twice (as Fallout 3 and Oblivion used to). I am getting into the habit of hitting the quicksave key ever so often because having to repeat even ten minutes of game time can drive me up the wall.

Hardcore mode adds an interesting facet to the game though. But the inventory fills up way too fast

Raul is the man.

I've played maybe 15 hours and it has crashed on me 3 times, usually at a load point, but once when I was saving. It lagged down when I was fighting the main boss at Raul. Other than that it's running just fine. I'm on the 360 version.

So, one thing that kind of annoys me, but maybe I'm missing something. All of the training manuals I've picked up seem to be temporary buffs now instead of permanent skill points. I don't really see myself carrying around a library of skill buffs just in case I need them.

I've been really impressed with all of the new monsters so far, with the exception of the

Spoiler:

lakeLurk; I always thought that the Mirelurk Kings were the lousiest enemies in Fallout 3 - always seemed way too Oblivion-y and just seemed too goofy

. At least their ranged attack is a bit faster, so they're more troublesome in battle. Those suckers hit hard!

Orphu:

The regular skill books are still in the game, though their numbers seem to be greatly reduced (in 20 hours of play I've only found two so far.) On the upside, they +3 permanent skill points instead of +1.

Orphu wrote:

So, one thing that kind of annoys me, but maybe I'm missing something. All of the training manuals I've picked up seem to be temporary buffs now instead of permanent skill points. I don't really see myself carrying around a library of skill buffs just in case I need them.

They are light, so why not?

Thing is I seem to find tons that give me stats I don't need. There are also books in there somewhere too. Is it a glitch, or does "Guns & Bullets" not do anything? The effects screen is blank.

Unlike the temporary skill magazines, the permanent skill books don't have descriptive text, though you can usually tell what it will do by the title.

polq37 wrote:

Not reading this thread because of spoiler possibilities.

But, 7 hours into the game, I think Fallout:New Vegas may be the finest computer RPG I've ever played.

The writing is immensely improved over Fallout 3. So far the game strikes exactly the right balance between funny/silly and creepy/dark. The game is deep and involving and thoughtfully paced.

The geckos are adorable.

Agreed Pol, Once I worked through the technical issues I'm now running entirely without crashes and it's been fantastic.

Also, for anyone experiences random crashes 15-20 min into the game, turning the in game music (not the radio) off seems to have fixed it. Apparently this is a bug/relic from way back.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

I've played maybe 15 hours and it has crashed on me 3 times, usually at a load point, but once when I was saving. It lagged down when I was fighting the main boss at Raul. Other than that it's running just fine. I'm on the 360 version.

Is it weird to keep Raul, just because he has a good voice actor?

Puce Moose wrote:

Just a quick update on some of the mods that have hit the scene so far:

Achievement Remover
Removes all of those idiotic '12 / 45 geckos killed with a hairbrush!' style notifications that continually pop up.

Mikoto Eyes Expansion
Re-textures those hideous cataract-lookin' default eyes with some sharper, brighter ones.

BEWARE OF GIRL Type 3 HiRez HiDetailed Replacer
*WARNING* NSFW nekkid computer-women images. This one replaces the skin textures with nicer, higher-resolution ones, and reduces that nasty neck seam a bit. There are also more chaste 'nightie' options to choose from.

Quieter Vats
This is just a quick mod I made to reduce the volume of VATS noises. The 'ping' sound when selecting targets was hurting my ears, so I just made VATS sound effects considerably quieter. It affects no other sounds.

In addition to the above, here's some others I've come across some might be interested in:

Darker Nights
Some have mentioned that the nights are too bright. This will fix that. Be sure to check the sample screenshots as there are a few different versions depending on how dark you want it.

Realistic Death Physics
This is a port of a FO3 mod that does exactly what it says. No more bodies flying 20 feet back from a gunshot.

Better 3rd person camera
This one changes the 3rd person camera so it's centered instead of over the right shoulder. It also lets you zoom out much farther than vanilla. There are 2 versions; one is centered and raised slightly, the other is just centered.

Caravan card in inventory fix
I recently noticed that all the Caravan cards I was buying or finding weren't being added to my deck. Well, apparently there is a scripting bug that prevents cards you find or purchase from vendors from actually being added into your Caravan deck. They just sit in your inventory instead. So this is just a script fix to properly add the cards into your deck. I assume this issue will be patched at some point so this is just a temporary fix until that happens.

Stylez wrote:

Also, for anyone experiences random crashes 15-20 min into the game, turning the in game music (not the radio) off seems to have fixed it. Apparently this is a bug/relic from way back.

Yeah, I remember Oblivion having that problem with the ambient music, though I have yet to have NV crash. Considering they patched that bug in Oblivion, you'd think they would have fixed it in the core engine. Hrm.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

I've played maybe 15 hours and it has crashed on me 3 times, usually at a load point, but once when I was saving. It lagged down when I was fighting the main boss at Raul. Other than that it's running just fine. I'm on the 360 version.

PC version here. The crashes that I had, I can't really nail them down to specific circumstances. I'll try turning off the music to see if that changes anything.

On a mildly related note, at least the ingame radio is working now. In Fallout 3 it was constantly stuttering (for me at least) and became so annoying that I never tuned into any radio stations. In NV I actually find myself checking the radio every now and then.

Anybody know where I can find 3 sugar bombs? I screwed up on a quest and now I'm stuck trying to find them before I can complete it but I can't find any.

As for bugs, 12 hours in and all I have run into are spots in the geometry (usually rubble or rocks out in the wasteland) where I get stuck and can't move anymore so I have to load my last save. Other than that I have been fine.

boogle wrote:
KrazyTacoFO wrote:

I've played maybe 15 hours and it has crashed on me 3 times, usually at a load point, but once when I was saving. It lagged down when I was fighting the main boss at Raul. Other than that it's running just fine. I'm on the 360 version.

Is it weird to keep Raul, just because he has a good voice actor?

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/qKEze.jpg)

Also, regarding mods, the better binoculars mod is pretty nice too. The default ones have just silly zoom levels. There's another mod that has a super zoom but I think this one is just right.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloa...

Also, also MTUI has been made for New Vegas. It basically is a UI mod that reduces text size to make menus easier to navigate. I'm using it until (or if) Darnified UI is made for New Vegas.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloa...

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Anybody know where I can find 3 sugar bombs? I screwed up on a quest and now I'm stuck trying to find them before I can complete it but I can't find any.

The vendor in the dino/gift shop in novac has 4 in stock.

Found a unique sniper rifle yesterday. It just destroys everything at long range. I tried clearing the quarry once and got my ass handed to me, came back with my new rifle and rained death down upon all the Deathclaws!

Spoiler:

The rifle is located in a sniper hut overlooking a legion camp at the very SE corner of the map. You'll need 100 lockpicking to get it, fortunately I maxxed my lockpicking fairly early on.

Just finished that little encounter at Nipton. Reminded me why I like Obsidian games despite their jankiness. Now THAT's some nasty villiany right there.

Spoiler:

oh, and word of advice for Mr high-and-mighty-civilian-butchering-legion-jackass-with-his-poncy-wolf-hat" - If you're going to be all "if you don't like it why not take a shot at me and see how far you get" with me, then arrogantly walk away with your entourage in tow....

....you should probably make sure I didn't just find a rather nifty grenade launcher in one of the nearby buildings.

...

In totally unrelated news, I'm loving my nifty new wolf hat

Just beat the game. I won't post any spoilers but the end of this game has the same problem fallout 3 did: You cant continue after the story ends.

Multra wrote:

Just beat the game. I won't post any spoilers but the end of this game has the same problem fallout 3 did: You cant continue after the story ends.

I am fairly sure that is a spoiler, but a welcome one.

SallyNasty wrote:
Multra wrote:

Just beat the game. I won't post any spoilers but the end of this game has the same problem fallout 3 did: You cant continue after the story ends.

I am fairly sure that is a spoiler, but a welcome one.

I've heard that from various reviews & podcast discussions so it's not too much of a shock. Personally I don't have any problem with it, the only issue with the ending in Fallout 3 for me was...

Spoiler:

...that there was a perfectly logical alternative to sacrificing yourself , ably demonstrated by everyone's favorite super mutant not more than a couple of quests earlier

Out of future interest, is the "point of no return" in New Vegas easy to spot?

Shooting dynamite in a powder ganger's hand is satisfying on so many levels.

About 15 hours in now. Very few crashes, a couple of texture clipping issues. Meh.

My biggest problem so far is that the weekend is already half gone.

Regarding the darker night mod Puce posted.
When I had it on (did this with both versions) I was getting consistent crashes. I'm not sure what was causing it but before putting it on the game never crashed once. After having it on I had 3 crashes within 30 minutes before turning it off. It stopped after turning it off.

Vega wrote:

Caravan card in inventory fix
I recently noticed that all the Caravan cards I was buying or finding weren't being added to my deck. Well, apparently there is a scripting bug that prevents cards you find or purchase from vendors from actually being added into your Caravan deck. They just sit in your inventory instead. So this is just a script fix to properly add the cards into your deck. I assume this issue will be patched at some point so this is just a temporary fix until that happens.

Aha! I knew I had more than 30 cards! I just figured it didn't count duplicates of the same card, even if they're from different casinos. I'll have to add that one and give Caravan a try.

Brill wrote:

Shooting dynamite in a powder ganger's hand is satisfying on so many levels.

Brilliant! *runs to 360*

Finally figured out a good three part strategy for dealing with cazadors and it should work with most character builds: re-load from your last autosave, figure out which direction they were in, go the opposite direction.