Anyone ever been to a Super Bowl?

I love New Orleans (the city) and thus I have been pulling for the team. I'm tempted to go for the first time in my life, I have to admit. But from what I understand it's a stadium filled with the Jay-Zs and Lady GaGas of the world and not as many normal fans. Thus not a great crowd and not a great atmosphere. Thoughts?

If you can afford the tickets, and find the tickets, you can probably fit in.

It would be a hell of a lot more fun to pend the week in New Orleans and watch it at a bar there. If the Chiefs make it some day, I will try to get to the game. But from everything I see, it fails to worth the price of admission as a spectacle itself. Much more fun to hand with friends for the big game.

A friend of a friend goes every few years, but they're pretty well off and don't have kids. They enjoy themselves.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost, but I haven't been, so ...

If you're gonna go, you might want to get on it.

As much as I love football, I have little desire to go see the Super Bowl in person.

Of course, the bigger and more packed the event, the less likely I am to want to go. Some of the most fun I've had at a sporting event has been at the mostly-empty Save Mart Center watching Fresno's now-defunct minor league hockey team. Don't get me wrong - I packed into the Fresno State student section for football almost every home game. But live sports are best when I have multiple seats with which to sprawl.

Jayhawker wrote:

It would be a hell of a lot more fun to pend the week in New Orleans and watch it at a bar there. If the Chiefs make it some day, I will try to get to the game. But from everything I see, it fails to worth the price of admission as a spectacle itself. Much more fun to hand with friends for the big game.

I had that thought but it felt "wrong" for some reason. Like, as an admittedly adoptive fan, I don't have the right to go party with them, if that makes sense.

DSGamer wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:

It would be a hell of a lot more fun to pend the week in New Orleans and watch it at a bar there. If the Chiefs make it some day, I will try to get to the game. But from everything I see, it fails to worth the price of admission as a spectacle itself. Much more fun to hand with friends for the big game.

I had that thought but it felt "wrong" for some reason. Like, as an admittedly adoptive fan, I don't have the right to go party with them, if that makes sense.

We're talking about New Orleans here. We party with tourists many times a year. As a matter of fact, that's the first weekend of Mardi Gras. It's usually more like an appetizer compared to the second weekend, but I bet this year, both weekends will be rocking.

Grumpicus wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:

It would be a hell of a lot more fun to pend the week in New Orleans and watch it at a bar there. If the Chiefs make it some day, I will try to get to the game. But from everything I see, it fails to worth the price of admission as a spectacle itself. Much more fun to hand with friends for the big game.

I had that thought but it felt "wrong" for some reason. Like, as an admittedly adoptive fan, I don't have the right to go party with them, if that makes sense.

We're talking about New Orleans here. We party with tourists many times a year. As a matter of fact, that's the first weekend of Mardi Gras. It's usually more like an appetizer compared to the second weekend, but I bet this year, both weekends will be rocking.

Alternatively, you could save your money, and go the next weekend (13-14th) and ride in a Mardi Gras parade, drink beer and throw beads at the crowds. Seriously, I need at least two more riders for my float.

But yeah, if I wasn't going to NOLA the following weekend for Mardi Gras, I'd definitely head down there for the Superbowl. It's going to be crazy.

I have a standing agreement with my wife that if the Seahawks make it to the Super Bowl that we will go to the game. Her only stipulation was that it has to be someplace 'nice'.

Of course, the year that they finally go, they play the game in Detroit.