To save myself a bit of typing, I'll copy myself from last month's thread:
As it was originally imagined, the Horizons Broadening Project was an Oprah's Book Club of sorts where Elysium would pick a game, and we'd all play it. I propose that we discard that model in part because I don't have the GWJ cachet of Elysium but mostly because what's outside of one person's comfort zone (or budget) is comfortably within another's. I intend instead to treat this like Hemidal's pile threads. Sign up here for a game you want to play, and I'll add your name and selection to the original post. As you finish your game, or at least become finished with it, post your impressions here, and I'll cross your name and game off the list.
Here are a few tips for getting started:
- When you sign up for a game, post a little bit about why you've picked it. That could offer inspiration for others as they make their selections, or it might help people who have played your chosen game in giving you advise about what to look out for.
- Don't pick a game from a genre you know you hate. Chances are, if you don't like a genre, you don't like it for a reason, and even if you play the greatest example of that genre ever made, it won't necessarily be a pleasant experience for you. The goal of this project is to expand the possibilities for what you enjoy in gaming, not necessarily to force yourself into like something you don't like.
- Do pick a game from a genre you've been interested in but don't have much experience with or haven't found a way into yet, or pick a game from a genre you've never delved into. Ideally, you'll be able to look back on your HBP picks and see a variety of games that you enjoyed playing that you wouldn't have given a chance otherwise. You're more likely to do that if you have some interest in your selection or total ignorance.
- This isn't the pile thread; you don't have to finish your game. Play your pick until you're satisfied that you've seen what it has to offer. If you get bogged down in a certain segment and genuinely don't have the desire to press on: don't. You've just found a game or genre that doesn't work for you.
- If you can't think of a good pick, this thread will likely be a good place to get recommendations. I'm always startled by the breadth of knowledge and interests represented by the members of this community. Likewise, if you're interested in a multiplayer game, this thread would be a good place to look for people to play it with.
I don't know about you all, but I have a hefty pile of games from the Steam Holiday Sale that will work nicely as HBP picks. If you participated last month and want to carry over your selection to this month, let me know in this thread.
- adam.greenbrier — LOOM, Penumbra: Overture, King's Quest VI, Tex Murphy I, Machinarium (PC)
- Apollo0507 — The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, Beyond Good and Evil (PC)
- casktapper — Bayonetta (360)
- Certis — Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)
- Clemenstation — GalCiv II, Sins of a Solar Empire (PC)
- cyrax — Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
- Dysplastic — Bayonetta (PS3)
- garion333 — Mother 3 (DS) (Again. Sigh.)
- imbiginjapan — IL-2 Sturmovik (PC)
- Jonman — Misc. iPhone games
- mrwynd — Civilization IV (PC)
- Raxneron — Europa Universalis III (PC)
- RSPaulette — Fight Night Round 4
- Running Man — Empire: Total War (PC)
- stevenmack — Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion (PC)
- Thin_J — Mass Effect
- Tkyl — Empire: Total War (PC)