Google Android catch-all

Hmm, I didn't realize Signal could handle sms / mms . I might need to give that a try.

@Stele
Apparently hangouts will be gone for good soon so I'm currently switching away from it as well.

I switched to Telegram.

EvilDead wrote:

What do people use for messaging apps these days? I have been using Textra for years but am getting fed up with their lack of support for HEIC image rotation. Every image just sends as landscape no matter what.

I use Pulse because I can also deal with texts in a web browser.

EvilDead wrote:

Hmm, I didn't realize Signal could handle sms / mms . I might need to give that a try.

Yup, it switches back and forth depending on who or what you're sending.

The image/gif size limit is the worst part of the app, imho.

Stupid phone battery is swelling up on my pixel 3a, Guess it is time for another phone,

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Stupid phone battery is swelling up on my pixel 3a, Guess it is time for another phone,

I'd chat with google about that and if it's under warranty.

Hobear wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:

Stupid phone battery is swelling up on my pixel 3a, Guess it is time for another phone,

I'd chat with google about that and if it's under warranty.

My 4 is doing the same. Unfortunately warranty is only a year unless you pay for extra. Since I don't want to wait for the Pixel 6 (and I don't even know if it will be the one I want), I just ordered the Galaxy S21. First Samsung phone for me.

Is the 5 not rating well? We are a month or two away from upgrading off pixel 2 xl.

Has anyone got into the Beeper beta? It is supposed to be merge all your messaging apps into one place, including imessage. I signed up but haven't gotten in yet.

Currently, I'm dabbling between Google Messages and Signal.

From my testing, and what has been reported here, it looks like Signal, Pulse, and Google all support browser web texting. I don't recall Google having that feature when I stopped using it a couple years ago.

garion333 wrote:

The image/gif size limit is the worst part of the app, imho.

Is it 1MB? Textra had an option to set it but I left it at 1MB that because the higher options sometimes broke my MMS.

EvilDead wrote:

Currently, I'm dabbling between Google Messages and Signal.

From my testing, and what has been reported here, it looks like Signal, Pulse, and Google all support browser web texting. I don't recall Google having that feature when I stopped using it a couple years ago.

garion333 wrote:

The image/gif size limit is the worst part of the app, imho.

Is it 1MB? Textra had an option to set it but I left it at 1MB that because the higher options sometimes broke my MMS.

Google's Messages is what I use. Started using it whenever the web messaging and RCS support happened. Been at least a couple of years.

From PC, I also have access to messages through MS's "Your Phone". Not sure what phones it works with, but most modern Samsung devices seem to have support.

MannishBoy wrote:
EvilDead wrote:

Currently, I'm dabbling between Google Messages and Signal.

From my testing, and what has been reported here, it looks like Signal, Pulse, and Google all support browser web texting. I don't recall Google having that feature when I stopped using it a couple years ago.

garion333 wrote:

The image/gif size limit is the worst part of the app, imho.

Is it 1MB? Textra had an option to set it but I left it at 1MB that because the higher options sometimes broke my MMS.

Google's Messages is what I use. Started using it whenever the web messaging and RCS support happened. Been at least a couple of years.

From PC, I also have access to messages through MS's "Your Phone". Not sure what phones it works with, but most modern Samsung devices seem to have support.

Your Phone works with Pixel 3XL at least.

A friend had actually just told me about "Your Phone" earlier today. I have been using Windows 10 since day 1 and had no idea they had a built in SMS messaging app.

EvilDead wrote:

A friend had actually just told me about "Your Phone" earlier today. I have been using Windows 10 since day 1 and had no idea they had a built in SMS messaging app.

It's handy some times. It's more than a messaging link, you can make calls I think as well as remotely control and see your screen. I wish it had bigger file transfer abilities. It's limited to stuff like pictures now. Would like to copy over audiobooks without plugging in

(Haven't tried the calls function)

Anyone recommend or not the pixel 5?

MannishBoy wrote:
EvilDead wrote:

A friend had actually just told me about "Your Phone" earlier today. I have been using Windows 10 since day 1 and had no idea they had a built in SMS messaging app.

It's handy some times. It's more than a messaging link, you can make calls I think as well as remotely control and see your screen. I wish it had bigger file transfer abilities. It's limited to stuff like pictures now. Would like to copy over audiobooks without plugging in

(Haven't tried the calls function)

Oh cool, I def need to check this out.

Hobear wrote:

Anyone recommend or not the pixel 5?

The Verge gave it a 8/10.

I think a knock on alot of the recent phones is they include 5G compatibility when 5G isn't really a thing for most people currently.

I'm on a 3 and I'm trying to ride out 1-1.5 years more before my switch.

I could see being on a 2 tho might be time to switch.

EvilDead wrote:
garion333 wrote:

The image/gif size limit is the worst part of the app, imho.

Is it 1MB? Textra had an option to set it but I left it at 1MB that because the higher options sometimes broke my MMS.

Quick search came up with 300 kb...

Yeah I was thinking I'd probably get a 4A sometime right before the 5A comes out. Because I really don't need the 5G battery drain for no upgrade in speed.

jowner wrote:
Hobear wrote:

Anyone recommend or not the pixel 5?

The Verge gave it a 8/10.

I think a knock on alot of the recent phones is they include 5G compatibility when 5G isn't really a thing for most people currently.

I'm on a 3 and I'm trying to ride out 1-1.5 years more before my switch.

I could see being on a 2 tho might be time to switch.

5G is likely to be quite useful for people on T-Mobile; it should increase signal reach a great deal, and should let you use it in buildings anywhere they've rolled out their 5G frequencies. This isn't because it's 5G, it's just that TM is putting 5G on a lot of low frequencies they got from auction and Sprint, and low frequencies penetrate buildings. You need a 5G phone to use them, it's the price of admission. It won't really be faster, but the signal quality should be much better.

On Verizon, 5G is almost worthless. Only if you're an extremely dense urban area is it going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Hobear wrote:

Is the 5 not rating well? We are a month or two away from upgrading off pixel 2 xl.

I think it was more that the 5 wasn't a true successor to the 4. It is a solid phone but not something that would compete with the Samsung Galaxy S20 or Iphone Max (or whatever they call it). There also was no XL version (some say the 4a is the XL version). It is uncertain if the 6 will go back to flagship status or if Google is focusing on value phones.

garion333 wrote:
EvilDead wrote:
garion333 wrote:

The image/gif size limit is the worst part of the app, imho.

Is it 1MB? Textra had an option to set it but I left it at 1MB that because the higher options sometimes broke my MMS.

Quick search came up with 300 kb...

Ooof, that is rough.

Watched bits of the OnePlus 9 launch event. Then saw the price. Ha!

I've had my Pixel 4A+5G for a couple of weeks now and wow does it make a massive difference from my earlier Pixel 2, most of all in the battery department. By the end, my Pixel 2's battery would easily drain within 3-4 hours, and it loved to die on me even as it claimed to have 40-50% battery. The first time I plugged in my 4A, I was alarmed that the 'rapid charge' said it was going to take something like 45 minutes to fully charge my phone--is rapid charge not working? my Pixel 2 would fully charge in like 10 minutes!! Now it's clear to me that my Pixel 2 battery was just even deader than I'd thought. On a full charge my 4A+5G says it has something like 28 hours of battery life available, which I haven't put to the test (I charge at bedtime every night) but I would believe. I've only gotten below 50% battery once. I struggle to remind myself not to plug it in during the day, because I understand it's generally better for the battery not to charge it more often than necessary. Also, I was anticipating the screen size difference would be massive, but it's actually a fairly small difference and the phone still fits well in my hand.

I assumed that the 5G aspect of the phone would be useless to me, being in Vermont, but the one time I ran a speed test outside, I got 100 Mbps down via cellular data, which is faster than I ever got on my other phones. A quick google suggests that is still within the range of 4G (at the very top), so I dunno, maybe this phone just hits those 4G towers better than my other ones did. But anyway, I'm very happy with this phone.

Rezzy wrote:

Watched bits of the OnePlus 9 launch event. Then saw the price. Ha!

They're like every other manufacturer now, eh?

garion333 wrote:
Rezzy wrote:

Watched bits of the OnePlus 9 launch event. Then saw the price. Ha!

They're like every other manufacturer now, eh?

They had to become boring or die. You'll probably be able to find Oneplus' rebranded as Oppo or Vivo for cheaper soon enough.

I assumed that the 5G aspect of the phone would be useless to me, being in Vermont, but the one time I ran a speed test outside, I got 100 Mbps down via cellular data, which is faster than I ever got on my other phones. A quick google suggests that is still within the range of 4G (at the very top), so I dunno, maybe this phone just hits those 4G towers better than my other ones did. But anyway, I'm very happy with this phone.

If you're on TMobile, they've rolled out 5G on low bands, which penetrate a lot better. They're not much faster than they would be on 4G (about 20%), but you can get a clear signal much further inside buildings. (I'm suspicious that might be your carrier, since you went outside to test.) They've always been starved for low frequencies, so the Sprint merger was a big deal for them, and 5G phones should be much better than 4G on that service.

If you're on Verizon, it's probably just a better radio or antenna in the phone. Verizon 5G is all high band, it only works in densely populated areas, only when you have a direct line of sight to the antenna, or a direct bounce off glass, and your hand isn't blocking the signal.

Dunno what AT&T is doing.

Weird, Verizon going low and on 4G is one of the reasons it works. Are they dropping the pretense of having the best network and instead figure their 4G is good enough that no one would notice their 5G is barely working.?

I think the marketers took over their 5G deployment, because it's worthless for about 95% of their customer base, but they can scream to the high heavens about how incredibly fast their 5G is.

It's probably great stuff in dense urban areas, and good for even 4G phones there, because it takes load away from the existing congested channels. It uses reflections from buildings in a very clever way, so that the signals bouncing around being reflected from skyscrapers are actually useful.

But it means almost nothing anywhere else, because mmWave 5G doesn't penetrate anything. It bounces off your hand, even, so they have to put antennas all over the phone in the hope of catching a direct line of sight. If you're not in an area with lots of beam reflections (eg, almost everywhere), it will only work when you can actually see the antenna. If you can't see it, neither can the phone.

All that said, the extra antennas probably do help at least a little with regular 4G reception.