Google Android catch-all

I have had similar issues. I just tried the bent staple idea you had and was surprised how much came out.

Oh good, I was wondering if what you were trying to clean it with is the problem. I couldn't get paperclips to work well either because they are too fat. They also seem to push on the pin thing too much. Seriously, though, use a wooden toothpick. The roughness on it grabs lint well, and since it's soft, it doesn't feel like you're scratching up the contacts. It also is soft enough not to put much pressure on the center pin thing.

This is a weird one. I have taken a bunch of photos in the last couple days but a bunch of photos take in sequence, in the matter of minutes are showing as different complete days in google photos. I have an Galaxy S10. Really annoying and bizarre bug. Anyone had this happen before.

Edit: Resetting phone seemed to fix.

Android experts of GWJ, do the Wirecutter's budget phone recommendations sound reasonable to you?

Ms. bravado has just about finished wearing out her iPhone 5C and Apple has just about finished losing us as customers. She uses her phone for Facebook, email, messaging, and taking the occasional picture, and is more interested in durability than extra features. (Which you probably already could tell from the fact that she's been using the same phone since early 2014.)

Spending $200 or less would be ideal.

Two random issues with my Pixel 2:

--I keep getting repeats of notifications. It's especially common with Facebook, but it doesn't seem to be limited to that app. I'll get a notification ("It's Bob's birthday" from FB, "check out this news story" from Google Assistant). I'll swipe it away and it's no longer in my notification tray. Then sometime in the next couple of hours, the same notification pops up again. It's really annoying, because it's typically for things I would prefer to get a notification about, just not multiple notifications, so I'd rather not just disable notifications altogether for the apps in question. Is there a setting I'm missing to limit this?

--I got around 20 calls between midnight and 2AM last night from international numbers (Congo, Libya, Mauritania, among others). Presumably spoofing and autodialing. I have Do Not Disturb mode on every night, but had the option checked to allow repeat callers to ring through. For the night, I changed that to only allowing known contacts to ring through in DND mode, but I'd rather that not be my long-term solution (I am not comfortable with the idea of a late night call from hospital/police/a kid's friend's parents, etc., not going through just because they're not programmed in my contacts). Is there a simple way to block or screen all incoming international calls? I'm certainly aware of things like Hiya and Nomorobo but in investigating those, I'm not clear on whether it's possible to block whole country codes rather than individual phone numbers.

misplacedbravado wrote:

Android experts of GWJ, do the Wirecutter's budget phone recommendations sound reasonable to you?

Ms. bravado has just about finished wearing out her iPhone 5C and Apple has just about finished losing us as customers. She uses her phone for Facebook, email, messaging, and taking the occasional picture, and is more interested in durability than extra features. (Which you probably already could tell from the fact that she's been using the same phone since early 2014.)

Spending $200 or less would be ideal.

Pixel 3a is expected to be released Tues for $400. Should be better than any of those and useable with Google Fi phone service if you really want to save some money every month.

I know it says the Nokia gets updated but nothing gets them as fast as the Google phones. It's great always having the newest OS.

misplacedbravado wrote:

Android experts of GWJ, do the Wirecutter's budget phone recommendations sound reasonable to you?

Ms. bravado has just about finished wearing out her iPhone 5C and Apple has just about finished losing us as customers. She uses her phone for Facebook, email, messaging, and taking the occasional picture, and is more interested in durability than extra features. (Which you probably already could tell from the fact that she's been using the same phone since early 2014.)

Spending $200 or less would be ideal.

I would look at the Moto G7 Power for $250. It'll get more os updates than a G6.

I have always purchased used flagships for my kids. The Note 4 is still faster and better than any of the current budget phones. Right now one of my kids has an S5. I looked at getting a Moto G but the screen and performance on the S5 is still better. It also has a replaceable battery and the camera is at least as good as a Moto G. Personally, I'd go with a 2 year old flagship before a budget phone.

EvilHomer3k wrote:

I have always purchased used flagships for my kids. The Note 4 is still faster and better than any of the current budget phones. Right now one of my kids has an S5. I looked at getting a Moto G but the screen and performance on the S5 is still better. It also has a replaceable battery and the camera is at least as good as a Moto G. Personally, I'd go with a 2 year old flagship before a budget phone.

This is what we do, too. Heck a refurb Pixel 1 is $150.

has anyone figured out a way to stop the weird lock screen flash problem on the pixel 3?

if you are unaware of the issue it is this : Pixel 3 screen locks. Then a few seconds later there is the bright flash the screen does. Just happens one time(at least on my device.) Also if the screen is locked and i get a notification of a text or missed call etc. the icon appears on the lock screen to indicate but again a flash of light.

driving me crazy. i've done the FDR but still persists.

Pixel 3a specs.

Official announcement at 1pm today.

Stele wrote:

Pixel 3a specs.

Official announcement at 1pm today.

Huh. No LTE Band 71. T-Mobile users aren't gonna be happy.

EDIT: Everyone else out there says the 3a will support this band. Maybe these are the specs for an international version.

Stele wrote:

Pixel 3a specs.

Official announcement at 1pm today.

Headphone jack is back on the menu, boys!

Yeah that might be enough to replace my OG Pixel.

Saw a leak that Best Buy had them in stores over the weekend too.

Tempting to just grab one but can probably wait a couple days for reviews and shipping from Google

Interesting. I love my Pixel 2, and hate the trend of $1000+ phones, so the 3a seems intriguing as an option when I'm due for an upgrade around Christmas. Biggest question for me (that a quick perusal of the specs link doesn't clarify for me) is whether the camera will be of comparable quality. I've realized I have little need for most bells and whistles on my smartphone, but I do love the pictures my Pixel 2 takes.

mrlogical wrote:

Interesting. I love my Pixel 2, and hate the trend of $1000+ phones, so the 3a seems intriguing as an option when I'm due for an upgrade around Christmas. Biggest question for me (that a quick perusal of the specs link doesn't clarify for me) is whether the camera will be of comparable quality. I've realized I have little need for most bells and whistles on my smartphone, but I do love the pictures my Pixel 2 takes.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...

Basically it has the same camera with night vision, but not the additional wide-angle camera of the 3.

Thanks for the info, Delbin, camera sounds good enough to me...

Delbin wrote:
Stele wrote:

Pixel 3a specs.

Official announcement at 1pm today.

Headphone jack is back on the menu, boys!

Blessedly. My daughter's Nexus 5X is still wheezing along, but my wife and son both had one at one point that imploded with the bootloop crash, and it was a pain in the butt to get it fixed. The idea of not having a headphone jack means the more modern Pixels were not an option for her because she prefers listening to wired earbuds rather than dealing with charging crap, and lord knows she doesn't want to deal with non-stock Android because she likes it simple. I can stick with stock Android whenever her phone finally dies.

I'm stuck in an all day conference but the verge is doing a live text stream of the Google I/O. Sounds like a lot of cool new stuff with lens and assistant so far.

Pixel 3a confirmed at $399

Just black, clearly white, and purplish.

Available on Fi store with $100 bill credit for the next 10 days. I pretty much have to get one for that cheap.

Stele wrote:

Available on Fi store with $100 bill credit for the next 10 days. I pretty much have to get one for that cheap.

Ordered. $100 credit + $80 trade in and $20/month makes it a pretty easy decision.

Stele wrote:

Yeah that might be enough to replace my OG Pixel.

Saw a leak that Best Buy had them in stores over the weekend too.

Tempting to just grab one but can probably wait a couple days for reviews and shipping from Google

Thinking the same thing, since there's a non-zero trade-in value on the O.G.

I ordered but kept my OG Pixel for now. It's supposed to have the free full size google photos forever while the other pixels all have a 2-3 year cutoff date. So maybe I'll keep it around to shuffle photos back and forth for backup or something.

So, the Pixel 3a does have a few variants. For folks in the US I wouldn't advise getting the Verizon version if you want to switch carriers. The "North America" version (pretty much any not-Verizon) is much better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...

T-Mobile will give me $200 in trade-in for my Galaxy S7. Far more than I could sell it for, and I get the 600MHz band they're rolling out (LTE 71). This makes it tempting.

Do these support 5G?

Verizon doing their usual Verizon thing.

From what I read the 3A, like the 3, will support that LTE 71 only on the T-Mobile network. If you're on Google Fi and sharing a T-Mobile tower you only get 2G/3G depending on where you are.

Stele wrote:

Verizon doing their usual Verizon thing.

Yeah. Theirs omits the AT&T LTE bands as well. (Pretty sneaky, sis!)

My mom just got the Purple-ish 3A and I am walking her through Android over the course of the week. She's been on iPhone of course for years but she has always loved the photos from my Pixel 2XL and she wanted one herself but didn't want to spend $800+ getting an unlocked phone for At&T in the Google store.

I hope Google takes a lot of lessons from this seemingly successful 3A launch for the Pixel 4. Hopefully, At&T will be on board for that launch as well.

Ack my phone was delivered early and is apparently sitting on my porch. Guess I should have had it shipped to work.