Google Android catch-all

Would a Kindle fit that bill? Seems like it would.

I buy all my books on Google Play. I know I can back door Google Services onto a Kindle, but I don't like the idea of having a device that can be useless with a patch and have to wait for it to get hacked. Plus, Pocketcast isn't on Kindle.

What's the budget? Cheapest you can probably get now is the new Nook at $50. From there, I don't know, Lenovo's last version was pretty cheap (not the Yoga, but those are good too), and I think they should be having a new version out soon too, although I don't think there are many improvements.

Not too many other options. The Huawei Mediapad is as close to an iPad Mini you can get in Android land but kind of pricey. There's a bunch of Samsung tablets as well as Chinese tablets you can get that can dual boot Android and Windows if you're into that

I don't like Samsung's UI and how they put all their crap on top of perfectly good Android, but, well, I'm cheap, and the Galaxy Tab A is solid for the price. If I wanted to do anything other than light browsing, board games, and things like that I'd get a better tablet, but, for the price, the Tab A is really quite a good deal.

I really don't know what I want. I told myself I wasn't going to get another Android tablet. I had convinced myself something like a Surface Pro should be what I get to replace my tablet, but while they are great while laying in the bed, they are a bit unwieldy on the go, and like I said I really like the 8 inch form factor.

I did come across that Huawei tablet. It seems like a really good tablet, but I don't think I want to pay that much for another. Maybe if I find one on sale.

I'm thinking about getting another Shield, but mine is getting a little long in the tooth and $200 is too much for a ~3 year old tablet.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

I really don't know what I want. I told myself I wasn't going to get another Android tablet. I had convinced myself something like a Surface Pro should be what I get to replace my tablet, but while they are great while laying in the bed, they are a bit unwieldy on the go, and like I said I really like the 8 inch form factor.

The HP ENVY 8 Note is a possibility, then, with a Full HD screen. Google doesn't make Windows Store applications, though.

Kurrelgyre wrote:

Google doesn't make Windows Store applications, though.

That's another reason I am probably going to stick with an Android. Might as well go ahead and get that Huawei. I thought it was $400. $300 may not be too bad.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

I really need to replace my tablet. I know this is a dying breed, but can anyone recommend a decent one? All it is going to be used for is podcast, YouTube, and reading. I may play the occasional game, too. I really like the 8 inch form factor. The Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 looks interesting.

Nvidia Shield tablets are pretty much the best Android one's out there these days. Really close to stock and fast updates as well.

Not to mention relatively inexpensive for a good Full HD screen and expandable storage.

It just me, or is the last Android keyboard update a step back? (I'm on a Nexus 5, I forget which update I'm on). I keep pressing all the wrong stuff.

Kurrelgyre wrote:

Not to mention relatively inexpensive for a good Full HD screen and expandable storage.

Oh snap I was trying to buy this for months. I gave up because I heard it was discontinued.

I still love my Shield K1 from last Christmas. It's the little tablet that could. Keeps chugging along no matter what.

I'll be replacing a Shield, the original one, but $200 seems a bit much for a tablet that hasn't had a hardware revision in almost 3 years. Especially when you consider new tablets with better everything are around $300.

I keep wondering if they're going to release a new Shield. I'd kind of like to have a tablet to keep close to the couch for stuff. I don't NEED one, but if I do buy one, I want about an 8" screen with better than the low res they have on the cheap stuff you see at Costco (Samsung Tab A?). Would like to keep it within a couple hundred bucks.

Haven't really had a tablet since my original Nexus 7 got so slow it was unusable.

I'm still a fan of my 10" Lenovo Tab 2 A10. LaptopMag's site still has it as their "best under $200" tablet.

*Legion* wrote:

I'm still a fan of my 10" Lenovo Tab 2 A10.

How has Lenovo been for providing it with O.S. updates? Or does the literature saying it comes with Android 4.4 still remain true?

I have a $10 credit I need to use. Anybody tried any paid Daydream VR games that are worth it?

I've just dabbled with the free stuff so far but I could get one of those $5 or $8 games for free now too.

EDIT: I see Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is on there. Heard good things about it on PC too.

I was going to suggest that. The premise is great. 2 person game for VR headset! You can also play with the Google Assistant as your alternative player. Taht seems to be pretty amusing.
http://www.daydreamdistrict.com/keep...

That site, by the way, reviews pretty much every app for the daydream.

edit: i think this is the video where he plays with teh assistant

Yeah that might be worth the whole $10. I'll take any other suggestions today, but I'm going to pull the trigger on something tonight and have to play with family and friends this weekend.

Kurrelgyre wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

I'm still a fan of my 10" Lenovo Tab 2 A10.

How has Lenovo been for providing it with O.S. updates? Or does the literature saying it comes with Android 4.4 still remain true?

It comes with 4.4, but the updates bring it to 5.0.1, which unfortunately appears to be as far as it's going to go.

Still, since hardly anyone seems to want to make 10" Android tablets, and many of the ones that do honestly think 1366x768 or 1280x800 is an acceptable display resolution for a 10" screen, there's not a whole lot of other options. And at least they sell it for a sub-$200 price.

I dug in to the keyboard settings, and put back symbols on long press, but there's no way to put the emoji button back on long press of enter. I'm left handed so having it where spacebar space used to be on the left is arse. Arrrgh!

Stele wrote:

Yeah that might be worth the whole $10. I'll take any other suggestions today, but I'm going to pull the trigger on something tonight and have to play with family and friends this weekend.

Holy crap it was so amazing defusing bombs with friends and parents tonight. Amazing!

Great that it was free but I would have got $10 worth out of it just for a few hours tonight. Looking forward to playing more on the future.

My iPhone 5S (service through AT&T) is developing hardware problems, and I am thinking about replacing it with an Android. I am bewildered by the number of manufacturers and models out there. What phones should I look at?

My main arbitrary constraint is that I'd like something close in size to my current phone (about 2.5" by 5"), and bigger screens seem to be in vogue.

Development will continue as LineageOS, as they disentangle from Cyanogen Inc, before anyone panics before reading the story.

misplacedbravado wrote:

My iPhone 5S (service through AT&T) is developing hardware problems, and I am thinking about replacing it with an Android. I am bewildered by the number of manufacturers and models out there. What phones should I look at?

My main arbitrary constraint is that I'd like something close in size to my current phone (about 2.5" by 5"), and bigger screens seem to be in vogue.

Yeah, that's tough, as even Apple has abandoned that size in their primary phone lines, relegating it to the "iPhone SE" line.

Here's a "best mini/compact phone" list.

*Legion* wrote:

Development will continue as LineageOS, as they disentangle from Cyanogen Inc, before anyone panics before reading the story. :)

I have a hard time believing that manufactures like OnePlus are going to start using a community mod. Would it not be possible for them to switch to stock android?

*Legion* wrote:

Yeah, that's tough, as even Apple has abandoned that size in their primary phone lines, relegating it to the "iPhone SE" line.

Here's a "best mini/compact phone" list.

Wow -- most of the "compact" phones are already bigger than I'm looking for!

I suppose I'll have to go to a physical store and play with demo models, to get a feel for what might work for me.

misplacedbravado wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Yeah, that's tough, as even Apple has abandoned that size in their primary phone lines, relegating it to the "iPhone SE" line.

Here's a "best mini/compact phone" list.

Wow -- most of the "compact" phones are already bigger than I'm looking for!

I suppose I'll have to go to a physical store and play with demo models, to get a feel for what might work for me.

I think 5" screens have become the new "compact". I can remember when I got my Evo thinking that might be crazy big (4.3" screen), but now that phone screen feels tiny. Part of that is the bezels have shrank, but it's really what you get used to. Now I'm carrying a 5.5" screen, which again I thought would be too big, but I got used to it. I may go smaller next time, depends on what's out there when I upgrade.

I'd suggest looking at a Pixel 5" to see if you can deal with it.

Going to a 5" screen definitely makes the phone more usable. You won't believe how much until you try to go back I bet.

I went back to a sub-5" screen in the iPhone 6S. I much prefer the smaller phone at this point. Not sure if I could go back to something like the 5S (or SE now) at this point.