Google Android catch-all

EverythingsTentative wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

I'm still looking for an automated picture backup solution for SkyDrive, but I'm sure I'll find something.

Have you tried Google Drive or even Google+?

He said he didn't want to use those.

I can understand it if you already have momentum with all your pictures being one place.

That said, I like the backup to G+ option (and I also use Skydrive on all my archived pics).

My Dropbox Android backup works great. As does Google Plus/Drive.

My Nexus 10 just got the 4.3 patch today. Nothing out of the ordinary except Firefox is acting strange. Crashing and scrolling strangely.

Kestrel wrote:

i believe the update to 4.3 is supposed to fix this:

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-...

maverickz wrote:

So I didn't see a thread dedicated specifically to Nexus 7 tablets, so I figured I'd post my question here. I have noticed, and read about, the lag that begins to occur with Nexus 7 NAND memory after a while. It appears that a Linux function "fstrim" is supposed to fix this problem. But the only app that can achieve that on the market requires rooting the device. I would prefer to avoid this. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? If so, any help would be appreciated.

That's how I heard about this issue, from the TWiT podcast. But I didn't realize that 4.3 would also be coming to the older Nexus 7 devices. That's good news. The update isn't updating though, that's bad news. But I have a donut with sprinkles. That's good news. But the sprinkles are cursed. That's bad news.

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

I've sideloaded it on mine through ADB. It's working fine. Here's a decent guide. Note that you need a PC, and you can safely ignore the "...and root it." portion.

I haven't heard anyone who has received it via OTA yet. Sideloading is a good alternative though since it performs the update in the exact same way, only via the USB cable from a PC. Just as with an OTA update everything else on your Nexus 7 will remain as it is.

maverickz wrote:
Kestrel wrote:

i believe the update to 4.3 is supposed to fix this:

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-...

maverickz wrote:

So I didn't see a thread dedicated specifically to Nexus 7 tablets, so I figured I'd post my question here. I have noticed, and read about, the lag that begins to occur with Nexus 7 NAND memory after a while. It appears that a Linux function "fstrim" is supposed to fix this problem. But the only app that can achieve that on the market requires rooting the device. I would prefer to avoid this. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? If so, any help would be appreciated.

That's how I heard about this issue, from the TWiT podcast. But I didn't realize that 4.3 would also be coming to the older Nexus 7 devices. That's good news. The update isn't updating though, that's bad news. But I have a donut with sprinkles. That's good news. But the sprinkles are cursed. That's bad news.

I was whining about slowdown on my Nexus 7 as it filled up compared to my iPhone 4S way back in this thread. I'm glad that they finally got around to fixing this issue.

LouZiffer wrote:
cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

I've sideloaded it on mine through ADB. It's working fine. Here's a decent guide. Note that you need a PC, and you can safely ignore the "...and root it." portion.

I haven't heard anyone who has received it via OTA yet. Sideloading is a good alternative though since it performs the update in the exact same way, only via the USB cable from a PC. Just as with an OTA update everything else on your Nexus 7 will remain as it is.

No need to side load. This trick worked for me after doing it twice on my first gen N7.

I sideloaded the 4.3 update on my Galaxy Nexus the other day, and it's been a night-and-day change -- 4.2 was feeling very sluggish, but 4.3 is slick and fast, much like I remember 4.1 being back when my phone was much newer. I don't know if it's because of fstrim or something else, but it feels like my phone got a free hardware upgrade.

cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

I got the notice this morning. I'm rooted so I can run Titanium Backup, so I need to do some reading to make sure I do it right.

I'll probably update today.

EvilDead wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:
cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

I've sideloaded it on mine through ADB. It's working fine. Here's a decent guide. Note that you need a PC, and you can safely ignore the "...and root it." portion.

I haven't heard anyone who has received it via OTA yet. Sideloading is a good alternative though since it performs the update in the exact same way, only via the USB cable from a PC. Just as with an OTA update everything else on your Nexus 7 will remain as it is.

No need to side load. This trick worked for me after doing it twice on my first gen N7.

Worked like a charm! Thank you!

cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

Mine came through last night on both the Nexus 4 and 7. I haven't noticed any obvious huge changes, but the 4 seemed to hang during the initial restart at the Nexus logo.

EvilDead wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:
cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

I've sideloaded it on mine through ADB. It's working fine. Here's a decent guide. Note that you need a PC, and you can safely ignore the "...and root it." portion.

I haven't heard anyone who has received it via OTA yet. Sideloading is a good alternative though since it performs the update in the exact same way, only via the USB cable from a PC. Just as with an OTA update everything else on your Nexus 7 will remain as it is.

No need to side load. This trick worked for me after doing it twice on my first gen N7.

FYI - If there is no update available yet, deleting the data from Google services can have some interesting side effects, such as being unable to install apps from Google Play until you remove your Google account from the device and re-add it. Glad to hear the OTA update is available now, though! It wasn't on Friday when I sideloaded mine.

I know I said I would be getting my wife the Nexus 10, but I didn't. No worries though. I got her the Samsung Note 10.1. She said she didn't want a tablet if she couldn't play with it first, and I liked the idea of only having to pull out the memory card in her Xoom and putting it into a new tablet.

So far the tablet is great. The audio kinda blew my mind. It has two large speakers on the front of it, and they are fantastic. The best audio I've heard from any tablet. Everything else functions just like I would expect it to, if not better. I haven't tried pushing it to hard, but Cook, Serve, Delicious works great on it. I know it will be behind on updates, but I guess that's the price I pay for an SD slot. Plus, if I really want to be up-to-date I can just root.

Anyone else have a Note tablet?

MannishBoy wrote:
cheesycrouton wrote:

Anyone get the 4.3 update on Nexus 7's yet?

I got the notice this morning. I'm rooted so I can run Titanium Backup, so I need to do some reading to make sure I do it right.

I'll probably update today.

Ran the OTA update. Worked fine, even with TWRP recovery installed. Lost root, but it looks like I just need to reflash SuperSU. Problem is that the old version of TWRP I was running might not allow it with 4.3, so I need to update TWRP first. Will do that later.

I finally installed 4.3 and can't tell a difference.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I finally installed 4.3 and can't tell a difference. :)

The visible changes are small to negligible. The stuff that seems interesting are the Bluetooth updates, notification functionality improvements, etc. And on tablets, the multiple user stuff has been enhanced so you can set up restrictions for users like kids.

I think Google's made an effort to pull a lot of the stuff that used to be in these system level releases out, and have moved them into their Apps, so everybody can get the changes early. It's a way around the lag for system updates that has always plagued Android.

I upgraded to 4.3 on my N4. I'm not sure what the benefits of 4.3 is but so far the phone seems to crash after using Netflix.

What's been bugging me is Talk is no longer available. It's been replaced by Hangouts which I'm not a fan of. There's no longer a status associated with the contact. Which means I can't see who's online or away. Not to mention the witty status messages.

I've noticed a performance change for the better on my n7.

From what I've seen, the people getting the most from 4.3 are those with older devices that have been in use for a long time, which makes sense in terms of fstrim -- you've got slower storage than newer devices, and it's probably more full and fragmented and in need of TRIM-ing. I think there have been some improvements to RAM usage, too, which again would benefit older devices (the Galaxy Nexus and first-gen Nexus 7 have "just" 1GB of RAM) more than newer ones.

My Galaxy Nexus seemed fine at first with 4.2, but it had grown very sluggish over the last few months, so I'm very glad to have that fixed in 4.3.

Looks like the date trick screws with the Google Play store.

maverickz wrote:

Looks like the date trick screws with the Google Play store.

It didn't for me but can but you can remove your account and re-add it to fix it (LouZiffer mentioned this above).

maverickz wrote:

Looks like the date trick screws with the Google Play store.

It does, and it always irks me when people publish it without telling folks how to fix it. None of the guides out there appear to clue folks into that and I'm not certain what else might break from deleting Google System data. That is why I tend to recommend sideloading or waiting if a system update shows as unavailable.

To fix it: Go into settings. In the accounts section remove your Google account. Once it's removed, add it back. Now you'll be able to install apps/updates from the Play Store again.

LouZiffer wrote:
maverickz wrote:

Looks like the date trick screws with the Google Play store.

It does, and it always irks me when people publish it without telling folks how to fix it. None of the guides out there appear to clue folks into that and I'm not certain what else might break from deleting Google System data. That is why I tend to recommend sideloading or waiting if a system update shows as unavailable.

To fix it: Go into settings. In the accounts section remove your Google account. Once it's removed, add it back. Now you'll be able to install apps/updates from the Play Store again.

On the link I provided it mentions that you may lose the ability to buy/download stuff from the play store and provides the steps to fix it. It didn't affect my device, I have already downloaded a few things.

Thank you for the guidance all. I did just that and it looks like things are back up and running. Oddly, it had to redownload a bunch of updates for some apps.

EvilDead wrote:

On the link I provided it mentions that you may lose the ability to buy/download stuff from the play store and provides the steps to fix it. It didn't affect my device, I have already downloaded a few things.

Thanks for cluing me in, EvilDead. It doesn't happen every time, but it's pretty common and reproducible under testing. Glad to see there are now guides which include this potential problem.

No problem. I had read that prior to the update so I was prepared to do the delete and re-add if need be.

After a full charge yesterday my device is feeling a bit faster. Specifically from the moment I finish entering the password to it fully populating the home screen.

Random question: I mentioned the new Prince of Persia game on the Android game thread but didn't get any response. Has anyone tried it on the Nexus 7 and, if so, how does it perform? I'm waffling between getting it on the iPhone or Nexus.

I just discovered after updating my Nexus 7 to 4.3, it's no longer working over USB with my PCs. Driver problems. Weird. It almost looks like the Hardware ID changed or something.

I've uninstalled drivers and tried to reinstall, but the drivers on both Asus's site and some other locations I've found around the net are not working.

Updated to 4.3 yesterday on the Nexus 4. No problems so far. No differences noticed.

MannishBoy wrote:

I just discovered after updating my Nexus 7 to 4.3, it's no longer working over USB with my PCs. Driver problems. Weird. It almost looks like the Hardware ID changed or something.

I've uninstalled drivers and tried to reinstall, but the drivers on both Asus's site and some other locations I've found around the net are not working.

That's really bizarre. I just tested mine and its working properly (first gen, first run). Have you tried a hard reset yet?

Like really... really bizarre.