Google Android catch-all

Yeah the bluetooth bits are in the Wiimote. The CC only plugs into it. For NES emulation I just use the Wiimote alone, but for SNES/Genesis I use the CC.

It works, and it's comfortable. And easy to select the wiimote just like you were selecting a keyboard. Pretty sure I've posted the wiimote app before. Very simple to use.

EDIT: Just noticed on the app page that the app no longer works with 4.2. That's a shame. I'm sure there's another good one out there, but I don't want to hunt it down.

Stele wrote:

Yeah the bluetooth bits are in the Wiimote. The CC only plugs into it. For NES emulation I just use the Wiimote alone, but for SNES/Genesis I use the CC.

It works, and it's comfortable. And easy to select the wiimote just like you were selecting a keyboard. Pretty sure I've posted the wiimote app before. Very simple to use.

EDIT: Just noticed on the app page that the app no longer works with 4.2. That's a shame. I'm sure there's another good one out there, but I don't want to hunt it down.

Meh, don't want that. I want some portability, and it's just one more fiddly bit to worry about. Off to the android sites for some research.

A PS3 dualshock is about the only way you'll get smaller/lighter. Haven't ever looked into it because the CC just worked. But there's surely an option for PS3 pad since the bluetooth is built in.

There's a controller made just for Androids that has a mounting system for phones - called MOGA, I believe - I'd assume it works with tablets as well.

Seems like they've gotten some support from original Android game developers, too.

All this cheesy acting is horrid on the Samsung S4 announcement event stream. Kind of wish I'd stuck to live blogs.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

There's a controller made just for Androids that has a mounting system for phones - called MOGA, I believe - I'd assume it works with tablets as well.

Seems like they've gotten some support from original Android game developers, too.

So, Samsung just announced their own Android controller that is coming this summer. Connects via Bluetooth, has a mount for your phone.

And looks remarkably like a 360 gamepad. But uglier. And with Nintendo sticks.

IMAGE(http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/gs4-controller.jpg?w=450)

My Nexus showed up last night. NEATO AND/OR KEEN.

Is there another way to listen to the This American Life podcast? I bought their app, but it's by far the most crashtastic I've ever seen.

You can download it with Pocket Cast.

dejanzie wrote:

Is there another way to listen to the This American Life podcast? I bought their app, but it's by far the most crashtastic I've ever seen.

I think only the most recent one is available for download.

I got me PocketCast, only 30m and I can try it on the commute home. Thanks

BreechLoad wrote:
dejanzie wrote:

Is there another way to listen to the This American Life podcast? I bought their app, but it's by far the most crashtastic I've ever seen.

I think only the most recent one is available for download.

If you buy the TAL app, you can dig into the archive. I can also download older episodes with PocketCast.

NP. I love Pocket Cast, it's an awesome app.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

NP. I love Pocket Cast, it's an awesome app.

Absolutely. Used it for the first time on the commute home and I'm smitten. Especially good when coming from the standard TAL app!

Any podcatcher will pull older TAL episodes as long as you tell it to sync with Google Reader. PC must have something similar going on with their backend.

My Galaxy Nexus downloaded a new system update today. They did some weird things with the lock screen. If you slide over from the unlock pattern you can now have some widgets there. Not sure what else was in the update.

Nevin73 wrote:

My Galaxy Nexus downloaded a new system update today. They did some weird things with the lock screen. If you slide over from the unlock pattern you can now have some widgets there. Not sure what else was in the update.

I recommend DashClock widget for Android 4.2+ phones. It was done by somebody from google I think, and there are lots of add ons you can get for different information that can be added into the display.

Nevin73 wrote:

My Galaxy Nexus downloaded a new system update today. They did some weird things with the lock screen. If you slide over from the unlock pattern you can now have some widgets there. Not sure what else was in the update.

Swype-style default keyboard!

Yeah the lock screen widgets, and also the quick settings menu in the pulldown now.

Definitely happy about the keyboard, as there were a few things that never quite worked with alternate ones. Like if I was trying to text someone a picture, trying to fill the "to" line with a name from my address book wouldn't work in Flex T9. Having to switch back and forth between keyboards was annoying. If this default swiping works good enough I can just use that for everything now.

EDIT: Obviously I got my update last night.

The only thing I don't like about the default swiping keyboard is that it has some internal blacklist of swear words that it will never, ever swipe.

What? No add to dictionary?

I'll be lost if I can't call someone a sh*tberg.

hey all,

I just got home with a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Haven't even turned it on yet. What do I need to know? What are the first things I should get, must haves, etc? What settings you recommend changing, if any?

Or any other points of interest I should know about. Thanks.

I've got the wifi-only version of that, and I've found the GPS to be not worth having turned on. It drains the batteries pretty quickly too. Make good use of the power-saving settings and the auto-screen brightness setting unless you're doing something where battery life is less of a concern than picture quality or speed. The power-saving stuff can make some games run poorly and low screen brightness will cause a lot of glare/reflection while watching movies and playing games.

I picked up this screen protector and it looks and works really well. Just be sure to follow the instructions and watch the youtube video they have before trying to put it on, and let it sit the12-24 hours like they recommend before turning it back on. I had mine turn on in the middle of applying the shield (so it was covered with the solution they include), and freaked out that I had just ruined the thing (which made the 12 hours I waited very stressful), but the only thing that happened was that the date was reset to 1/1/2000 and had to be re-set. For the first day there were some things that looked like dust and bubbles, but they went away after a few more days.

I have this case/keyboard but I can't really recommend it, the keyboard's pretty crappy and doesn't register a lot of key-presses. I mostly just use it as a case and stand, and ignore the keyboard part.

Thanks Stengah. I'll definitely check out that screen protector. Thanks for the other tips too. After 1 day/night, I'm loving the device so far. I've mostly learned the ropes, and now on to finding the best apps.

Stele wrote:

What? No add to dictionary?

I'll be lost if I can't call someone a sh*tberg. :D

You can add them to the dictionary, just can't swipe them.

Is there a good way to keep apps and app data or backup it to a PC without root on a 2.3.3 device?
I am tempted to use the official HTC site to put CM or something else on my crash-prone phone to find out if that would mend the issue, but going through the horrid market interface to find all my apps (not too many, but still enough) and installing them again sounds just too un-fun.
Same goes sorta for sms, has anyone here tried one of the various backup apps and could chip in which one would be worthwhile?

Anyone know of a website to track prices of android apps on the google play store? I've seen some apps to do this, but no price tracking websites.

Android Police has a deals section. It has app and hardware deals.

You know, I think the 4.2.2 update screwed up bluetooth slightly. Ever since I got the update, when I turn my car off and walk away with my phone, when I come back it doesn't re-sync. I have to turn the phone's bluetooth off and then back on to reconnect. I need to look in the settings, however, to make sure one of those didn't reset.

Nevin73 wrote:

You know, I think the 4.2.2 update screwed up bluetooth slightly. Ever since I got the update, when I turn my car off and walk away with my phone, when I come back it doesn't re-sync. I have to turn the phone's bluetooth off and then back on to reconnect. I need to look in the settings, however, to make sure one of those didn't reset.

You know, I've had problems connecting to the bluetooth speaker I keep in the kitchen. It used to sync up every time I turned it on without fail, and I've been having all sorts of issues connecting it the last week or two.

Same here. My Bluetooth adapter in my car worked fairly well before the update, but now it's almost never syncing correctly.