Google Android catch-all

mateofalcone wrote:
Trashie wrote:
mateofalcone wrote:
Trashie wrote:

Just picked up Nexus 7 the other day. So far, love the device. However, I'm a little disappointed with the content on the Google Play store. Specifically, in regards to TV shows and movies. Feels pretty light in comparison to iTunes and Amazon.

Since both of those services slap DRM on their video, any suggestions for other ways of getting video onto a Nexus 7? I already have Netflix but I'm looking for stuff for travel so I need offline content.

We picked up Play Later for this very reason. Queue up the videos you'd like to take with you on NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu, whatever...put them on your device and off you go! These are the same people who make PlayOn, which we used for years to watch all kinds of online content on our PS3.

Interesting. How automated is the recording process? Do you need to babysit it or does the application pull stuff up for you?

You don't have to babysit once you've set up your recording queue. It records by streaming, so however long it'd take you to watch everything is exactly how long it'll take to record. Each show is marked with your personal details (record by blah blah blah on blah blah 2012, etc), and it'll contain whatever's in the stream (e.g., NetFlix buffering, Hulu commercials, etc), but that's not a big deal for me.

Edit: They offer a lifetime license or a subscription plan, but I opted for the lifetime option. It looks like they've got a holiday sale going right now. If you're interested, I'd jump on it.

Thanks. I picked up the yearly license and have been pretty happy so far. A couple of bugs but nothing major.

Another question: anyone know of any widgets that will display personal videos the same way as the Google Play library widget? I like that tiled style but it only works with Play content and not any personal content.

mateofalcone wrote:
Trashie wrote:
mateofalcone wrote:
Trashie wrote:

Just picked up Nexus 7 the other day. So far, love the device. However, I'm a little disappointed with the content on the Google Play store. Specifically, in regards to TV shows and movies. Feels pretty light in comparison to iTunes and Amazon.

Since both of those services slap DRM on their video, any suggestions for other ways of getting video onto a Nexus 7? I already have Netflix but I'm looking for stuff for travel so I need offline content.

We picked up Play Later for this very reason. Queue up the videos you'd like to take with you on NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu, whatever...put them on your device and off you go! These are the same people who make PlayOn, which we used for years to watch all kinds of online content on our PS3.

Interesting. How automated is the recording process? Do you need to babysit it or does the application pull stuff up for you?

You don't have to babysit once you've set up your recording queue. It records by streaming, so however long it'd take you to watch everything is exactly how long it'll take to record. Each show is marked with your personal details (record by blah blah blah on blah blah 2012, etc), and it'll contain whatever's in the stream (e.g., NetFlix buffering, Hulu commercials, etc), but that's not a big deal for me.

Edit: They offer a lifetime license or a subscription plan, but I opted for the lifetime option. It looks like they've got a holiday sale going right now. If you're interested, I'd jump on it.

Thanks. I picked up the yearly license and have been pretty happy so far. A couple of bugs but nothing major.

Another question: anyone know of any widgets that will display personal videos the same way as the Google Play library widget? I like that tiled style but it only works with Play content and not any personal content.

FSeven wrote:
dejanzie wrote:
General Crespin wrote:

Downloads shouldn't be in there at all. Have you gone in to that app to see if there's something it's downloading?

Sorry, it's called 'Media'. Under which downloads is listed.

I unplugged it at 100% this morning at 7:30AM, it's now 9:45AM and down to 80% charge :-s

I'm going to check my SD Card, maybe unplug it for a couple of days. It's been acting weird lately, maybe he's constantly (re)connecting to it or something.

Not sure if you're willing to go the root route but since rooting, the battery life on both mine and my wife's S3's has been incredible. When we got the phones, battery life was similar to yours. By noon it was time to recharge.

Since rooting, I can go 1.5 days with HEAVY usage and I'll still have around 20%. For instance, I woke up this morning at 5:40 (after 3 phone alarms). Checked email, weather, news. Drove my son to school and then myself to work: 1 hour total trip, listening to music the whole time (through Bluetooth paired with my truck). Few text messages with wifey to let her know the morning went fine. I'm at work now (7:52am) and battery usage is at 95%.

I'm relatively new to rooting, having only done it once before on my old HTC Incredible 2. The process was very easy as long as you take your time and have full understanding of the steps required. I researched for a good 2 hours before rooting mine. Process took about 45 minutes as I was being cautious and making absolutely sure I was performing the correct step. When I did my wife's it took around 10 minutes.

For the S3 I used the very stable CleanROM 5.0 based on the leaked JellyBean build.

The guy who developed it has since released CleanROM 5.5.1 which is based on the most recent JellyBean build. If you decide to root, it's your choice which to go with but I can vouch for the stability and battery efficiency of 5.0.

Just butting in to clarify between rooting and flashing. Rooting allows you Super User access which allows you to do pretty much anything through apps that know how to invoke the Super User rights of your phone: erase apps that have been given "system status" that usually forbid from getting erased, among other functions.

Flashing is rewriting the OS or even the firmware of your phone.
There's plenty of OS, like CleanROM that improve battery life in a number of ways; get rid of bloatware, reduce the voltage used by the phone's CPU and other tweaks.

At first glance, it might seem that both of your SIII might be a bit too saturated. I tend to wipe my phone every so often (read 6 months) and not only does the phone speed up a bit with the increased available RAM, your battery benefits by getting rid of the forgotten apps that just consume cpu cycles.

Whenever I get a new phone (a big +1 to Elysium's Note 2 review, I agree wholeheartedly), I root right away, get rid of apps I will never use, freeze a couple I might not consider essential with Titanium Backup. This app has paid itself over a 100 times over the 5 or 6 phones I've used ever since buying the app.

mateofalcone wrote:

Play Later

Does it allow you to set download times? I am on a limited monthly cap through my satellite internet but they are nice enough to give me unlimited data from midnight to 5am. I would love a way to cue up streaming videos to save them so I can watch them during the day.

MonoCheli wrote:
mateofalcone wrote:

Play Later

Does it allow you to set download times? I am on a limited monthly cap through my satellite internet but they are nice enough to give me unlimited data from midnight to 5am. I would love a way to cue up streaming videos to save them so I can watch them during the day.

I didn't see one though that would be handy.

dejanzie wrote:

My S3's battery's draining really fast the last couple of weeks. I forgot my phone today after it being plugged in at night, and when I got home from work it was depleted. From full to turned off in 10 hours after not doing anything with it is not normal.?

I had this happen to me. I resolved the issue by doing a full hard reboot. Press up volume and on/off at the same time (I think).

That seemed to sort it.

I usually get ~2 days on a charge and that's with reasonable usage.

Whenever I get a new phone (a big +1 to Elysium's Note 2 review, I agree wholeheartedly), I root right away, get rid of apps I will never use, freeze a couple I might not consider essential with Titanium Backup. This app has paid itself over a 100 times over the 5 or 6 phones I've used ever since buying the app.

What does freezing an app do? I'm wondering what the pros and cons are for freezing the app compared to backing it up and uninstalling, which is what I normally do.

I'm still really intrigued by the new Padfone, but I'm having so much fun with the CM nightlies on my TF300 that I'm thinking about sticking with a device that has a lot of development. If I got a Galaxy S3, are there any non-clunky ways to keep apps and data synced across my tablet and phone?

ccoates wrote:

I'm still really intrigued by the new Padfone...

I'm starting to think the US won't get the Padfone 2 either.
If we don't, could they at least give us a reason? I want to know who to send my letters (and a picture of a blank check) to, to get that device over here.

CM nightlies?

Fedaykin98 wrote:

CM nightlies?

Nightly builds of CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod).

TigerBill I was thinking about your use case and other then being hooked on the concept of the padfone have you settled on a carrier yet? Or are you still sticking with Verizon? I have been loving Ting.com the last 2 months because if I don't use it they don't charge me. You could just not use the voice and then not pay for that part so you would only have to pay for data (because you use google voice for texts right?) it is not unlimited data but who really is anymore right?

Edit: My bill for 2 smart phones has dropped from the low I had of ~$70 at T-mobile to $39 last month and it looks like I will be at $27 for this month.

If you really want one, there are quite a few importers on eBay and otherwise selling Padfone 2s for a slight markup. No 4G in the States though.

Anyone in here snag a Nexus 4? Curious about whether that will make a decent Android alternative to an iPhone 5? Not that concerned about the lack of 4G as Madison still only has HPSA+ coverage.

- wireless charging is awesome, but chargers aren't cheap
- 16GB is a bit slim if you tend to load a lot of media on it
- battery life is not so hot unless you do some tweaking (3rd party kernels really help)
- it's the android phone to get if you're into getting the latest official updates/installing ROMs
- the official bumper case is pretty nice, but stock is just as hard to get as the phone itself (last I checked)

Very pleased with mine in general.

The bumper is also very hard to get a hold of, and at least for me, the charger given with the Nokia Lumia 920 doesn't charge the Nexus 4 (it does acknowledge that the charger's there, but the battery doesn't charge).

I'd like to ditch my Iphone4 and pick up a Nexus when they're next in stock.

hannibals wrote:

What does freezing an app do? I'm wondering what the pros and cons are for freezing the app compared to backing it up and uninstalling, which is what I normally do.

Freezing is like uninstalling an app. Kinda.

Uninstalling an app when you have root permanently erases the app and everything with it.
Freezing just hides the app and every associated piece of data in your phone from the OS; the OS in your phone thinks that that app is not there.

You can get an app back by installing it from the Play Store or looking for the APK online. Since most apps that come pre-installed with a phone are not easily available online (I'm thinking for Samsung's deal with Polaris Office), you should be sure when you decide to uninstall an app.

Titanium Backup also has backup functionality (hence the well thought out name), but I've noticed that restoring a backup is not always a guarantee. caveat, dragons and other warnings. You should look for and download the OS image of you original OS (with carrier bloatware) to restore it to unboxed conditions when you decide to sell your phone.

I usually freeze an app for a couple of weeks just to make sure I will never need it, and to make sure it's not an essential piece of software my phone uses in anyway.

On some level it knows the app is there when it's frozen, doesn't it?

I use Titanium Backup to freeze apps that I'm tired of uninstalling every time I update the OS or flash a new version of a rom.

There's a few Cyanogenmod apps I don't have any use for, but if I fully uninstall them, they'll all be back when I update to the next version. Very annoying.

However, if it's "frozen", whatever that entails, I never have to deal with it again. Even after an update the app remains hidden/frozen.

I'd say the only benefit over completely uninstalling is the practical aspect of saving the space. If you think you'll ever need it again, freezing and restoring is a lot less wonky a way to have all your settings intact, as Hobbes said.

I also use it for the same reason he pointed out, if I want to get rid of something but I'm not sure if the OS will go into mourning at its absence.

Moggy wrote:
dejanzie wrote:

My S3's battery's draining really fast the last couple of weeks. I forgot my phone today after it being plugged in at night, and when I got home from work it was depleted. From full to turned off in 10 hours after not doing anything with it is not normal.?

I had this happen to me. I resolved the issue by doing a full hard reboot. Press up volume and on/off at the same time (I think).

That seemed to sort it.

I usually get ~2 days on a charge and that's with reasonable usage.

It's usually the power button and the down volume (or home button on, say, iPhones).

garion333 wrote:
Moggy wrote:
dejanzie wrote:

My S3's battery's draining really fast the last couple of weeks. I forgot my phone today after it being plugged in at night, and when I got home from work it was depleted. From full to turned off in 10 hours after not doing anything with it is not normal.?

I had this happen to me. I resolved the issue by doing a full hard reboot. Press up volume and on/off at the same time (I think).

That seemed to sort it.

I usually get ~2 days on a charge and that's with reasonable usage.

It's usually the power button and the down volume (or home button on, say, iPhones).

I simply removed the SD card a couple of weeks ago and it's a lot better now. I no longer have my entire music collection with me, but I can look at my photos and movies on Dropbox anytime.

I no longer get 2 days of reasonable usage, but I guess some degrading of the battery after 8 months is to be expected. There are a lot more apps to update too of course.

It seems like there may be a bug in Android 4.2 with Google services draining the battery. My Nexus 7 has been running dry in sleep mode lately.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...

Boo. I'll have to tell the mom-in-law to hold off updating her new Nexus 7 if she hasn't done it already.

Since installing the Jellybean update on my S3 just before Christmas, I noticed that it seems to spend a lot of battery on Maps, even when I haven't used Maps that day. Anyone else run into this? I disabled Google location services, leaving Verizon and standalone location on, and that seems to help. Is it worth just going with one of those? And is there any way to get the Facebook app to stop looking for my location whenever I open it?

I have a problem.

The Galaxy Nexus got smashed in the revolving door as I was leaving work yesterday. Don't ask. It boots, seems to work (it vibrates to tell me I'm getting emails and notification) but the screen is all blue/purple/white so I'm navigating blind.

There's a couple files on the phone that are fairly critical I recover, but the only way I have to do so is via ADB. I know how to pull the files from the phone once I have the sdcard mounted. What I'm lacking is step by step instructions on how to mount the sdcard once I get to recovery. Does anyone have a Galaxy Nexus with stock recovery that minds rebooting to recovery and telling me button press by button press how to find the mount option?

RoughneckGeek wrote:

I have a problem.

The Galaxy Nexus got smashed in the revolving door as I was leaving work yesterday. Don't ask. It boots, seems to work (it vibrates to tell me I'm getting emails and notification) but the screen is all blue/purple/white so I'm navigating blind.

There's a couple files on the phone that are fairly critical I recover, but the only way I have to do so is via ADB. I know how to pull the files from the phone once I have the sdcard mounted. What I'm lacking is step by step instructions on how to mount the sdcard once I get to recovery. Does anyone have a Galaxy Nexus with stock recovery that minds rebooting to recovery and telling me button press by button press how to find the mount option?

Can't you just put the SD card into a computer?

MannishBoy wrote:
RoughneckGeek wrote:

I have a problem.

The Galaxy Nexus got smashed in the revolving door as I was leaving work yesterday. Don't ask. It boots, seems to work (it vibrates to tell me I'm getting emails and notification) but the screen is all blue/purple/white so I'm navigating blind.

There's a couple files on the phone that are fairly critical I recover, but the only way I have to do so is via ADB. I know how to pull the files from the phone once I have the sdcard mounted. What I'm lacking is step by step instructions on how to mount the sdcard once I get to recovery. Does anyone have a Galaxy Nexus with stock recovery that minds rebooting to recovery and telling me button press by button press how to find the mount option?

Can't you just put the SD card into a computer?

The Nexus doesn't have an SD card - just a symlink named /sdcard.

RoughneckGeek wrote:

The Nexus doesn't have an SD card - just a symlink named /sdcard.

Ah. Sorry. When you said SD I didn't even really read what type of phone.

MannishBoy wrote:
RoughneckGeek wrote:

The Nexus doesn't have an SD card - just a symlink named /sdcard.

Ah. Sorry. When you said SD I didn't even really read what type of phone.

Recovery mode ended up being a dead end.

I'm thinking of getting some bluetooth headphones and was wondering if anyone has made use of the Razr MAXX bluetooth features. Thanks!

Is anyone else experiencing stutter issues while playing audio? I get these since the upgrade to Jelly Bean on my stock Galaxy S3. Podcasts and music starts hicupping for a couple of seconds, rinse and repeat a minute later or so. Here's the kicker: it only happens when the screen is off. When I wake up the phone, the jitters always go away.

I googled around and apparently I'm not the only one, but I haven't found an actual solution. Somewhere someone mentioned increasing the buffer size for audio, but that's not possible on the stock OS.

Anyone else having these issues, and maybe a solution?