Goozex

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I stopped using Goozex because of the hold system Minarchist mentioned. In a nutshell, you have a limited number of slots in your queue for games that you're actively looking to acquire. You can, however, put games "on hold" at any time. This removes them from your queue but reserves your spot in those games' queues. When you take an item off of hold, your spot in that game's queue is reactivated, and you get the game when your turn comes up.

How this works in practice is that people will add any number of titles to their queue and then put them on hold long before they want them, often months before they're even released. There's no penalty for doing this, so there's no reason to not put a bunch of games on hold as soon as they're listed on the site. Then whenever people want the game, they take it off hold and effectively jump to the front of the queue. It creates a sort of phantom queue where you might be fifth in line for something you want, but there are actually any number of people in line ahead of you who can hop in at any time. I had a few games that I had in my queue for months, moving backward in the queue all the while.

This isn't usually a big deal for games that have been out for awhile, but it makes trading for newer games a pain.

My only other real issue with the service was that once a game dropped to 100 pts, it was almost impossible to get. I don't think you make enough points on those transactions to offset the cost of shipping, so few people bothered to list things.

All that said, I've thought about reactivating my account from time to time.

This isn't really true. Generally you can't request or put on hold a game before release day. The one exception is that if you trade out a new game within the first 30 days of its release, you earn a token that allows you to request games pre-release (about a week, if I'm not mistaken). Only a few people ever do this so it isn't enough on its own to break the economy. I see your point, but if you have an active request and others are on hold, you skip over everyone on hold. You can see active requests in the left column of the trading information, and that is the real number of people ahead of you.

However, the economy there is starting to collapse and it's not a good time to trade there. People just aren't trading out games and there is an immense number of people requesting games, new and old. I think most of it has to do with the fact that Goozex allows you to simply purchase points at a cash value of around $5 per 100 points, rather than earning points by trading games in. There are way, way too many points in the system leading to a glut of requests. I have had four or five games active where I'm the first or second person in line, and it's been over a month, and just today I was finally matched for one of them (ModNation Racers).

It's currently a bad time to invest in Goozex. Maybe it's just an blip that will correct itself (not sure how) or maybe the economy of that site is spiraling. I currently have games I'd like to trade out, like Madden 12, but since I probably won't be able to spend the points I earn I'm sitting on it. As much as I'd love to see more people trading out games there, I wouldn't want my friends here to be frustrated by the site. You've always needed some patience to use Goozex, but the wait times for games are ridiculously long at this point.

Evo wrote:

However, the economy there is starting to collapse and it's not a good time to trade there. People just aren't trading out games and there is an immense number of people requesting games, new and old. I think most of it has to do with the fact that Goozex allows you to simply purchase points at a cash value of around $5 per 100 points, rather than earning points by trading games in. There are way, way too many points in the system leading to a glut of requests.

This is definitely the real problem. The wealth tokens (points) have increased greatly, while the actual wealth (games) hasn't risen commensurate with the rise in money supply (tokens), so there's a huge point inflation. However, the "price" for the actual wealth as measured by tokens hasn't inflated with the money supply, and as hopefully everyone who's ever studied history knows, capped prices with runaway inflation = product shortages. You can't just pump free money into a closed system and expect things to still work.

ARE YOU LISTENING, GEITHNER AND BERNANKE?

The hold system, on the other hand, though I admit the opacity of it is sometimes frustrating, has a modicum of fairness to it. You can't add a game until it's added in the system, which is typically 10:00-10:30pm Pacific time Monday night (assuming the game releases Tuesday), and you're limited to 100 holds. Which seems like an insane number, but when you consider that most users of that site are trading for multiple systems, DVDs, and Blu-Rays, it's not all that large.

Evo wrote:

This isn't really true. Generally you can't request or put on hold a game before release day. The one exception is that if you trade out a new game within the first 30 days of its release, you earn a token that allows you to request games pre-release (about a week, if I'm not mistaken).

This must be a recent change, because I can remember putting Bioshock 2 on hold about a month before it was released.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Evo wrote:

This isn't really true. Generally you can't request or put on hold a game before release day. The one exception is that if you trade out a new game within the first 30 days of its release, you earn a token that allows you to request games pre-release (about a week, if I'm not mistaken).

This must be a recent change, because I can remember putting Bioshock 2 on hold about a month before it was released.

On watch, or on hold? You can put a game on watch at any time, but it doesn't reserve a spot in the queue and you can have unlimited watches. They're accessed from the same menu.

Bioshock 2 was released in February of 2010. I have a toddler. Do you really think I can remember that long ago with any sort of clarity?

It does seem to have become a less useful system of late. It seems to be getting harder and harder to get games that I'm waiting for. Maybe it's just that I'm requesting bizarre niche titles that there aren't many of in circulation.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to use up what points I have and start shipping my old games off to Amazon instead.

EDIT - I was going to complain about how I've had Apache Air Assault on my list for *ever*, and it's still at 800 points, and lo-and-behold, it's just been matched. I'm being robbed blind at that price, but helicopter games are so few and far between that I'm kind of a captive market.

You can't add a game until it's added in the system, which is typically 10:00-10:30pm Pacific time Monday night (assuming the game releases Tuesday), and you're limited to 100 holds.

Ahhh...so this is how there are always so many people in line for a new game come Tuesday morning -- there's a West Coast bias! Those of us who don't stay up until 1:30 am in the east get hosed.

In case anybody is wondering, the number of active trades is in the low 2000's, whereas when I joined 2 years ago, it hovered around 4500. And the majority of my games received have been 100-pointers, almost all under 400 points. Of course, trade tokens are now $2 each, (instead of 1, except for big traders) which may be deterring a number of 100 point trades, and people from becoming new members.

I think what's deterring the 100-point trades is that the cost of shipping is nearly equal to the value of the points if you just bought them outright, but in that case you'd still have your game. When they allowed points for purchase they fixed the price of 20 points at a dollar. Which is probably close to accurate, as that would peg the top-tier $60-new-but-slightly-used games at $50, which seems about right. But that means you're trading some old games down for $5, which very few games go for on half.com or ebay (certainly far fewer than are listed at 100 points on goozex), and you don't get to recoup your shipping costs like you would be able to on one of the aforementioned real-dollar sites.

I think they would do much better to put the floor for games at 200 points and stop the sale of points altogether.

Really, goozex would make a great doctoral thesis for an aspiring economist. (Economics of meat, Adam?)

Minarchist wrote:

(Economics of meat, Adam?)

You remembered my work! You just made my day.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

(Economics of meat, Adam?)

You remembered my work! You just made my day.

Was that from the blog you stopped update ages ago?

It's from an article I wrote for the Escapist. I'll dig up a link when I'm not on my phone.

Minarchist wrote:

I think they would do much better to put the floor for games at 200 points and stop the sale of points altogether.

Yes, that would probably help. I know that when points were low they pumped points into the system with a sale; it would be really nice if they were to suck it up and pump a few games into the system to siphon off points.

Jonman wrote:

EDIT - I was going to complain about how I've had Apache Air Assault on my list for *ever*, and it's still at 800 points, and lo-and-behold, it's just been matched. I'm being robbed blind at that price, but helicopter games are so few and far between that I'm kind of a captive market.

But that match wasn't accepted by the trader. And now Gamefly are having a sale and that game is going for 10 bucks. This is where Goozex falls down - games that are in short supply in the Goozex economy remain absurdly high-priced.

Sorry, Goozex, you snooze, you lose...

Jonman wrote:
Jonman wrote:

EDIT - I was going to complain about how I've had Apache Air Assault on my list for *ever*, and it's still at 800 points, and lo-and-behold, it's just been matched. I'm being robbed blind at that price, but helicopter games are so few and far between that I'm kind of a captive market.

But that match wasn't accepted by the trader. And now Gamefly are having a sale and that game is going for 10 bucks. This is where Goozex falls down - games that are in short supply in the Goozex economy remain absurdly high-priced.

Sorry, Goozex, you snooze, you lose...

Same thing happened to me with ModNation Racers. Trader let the match time out. Sigh, I have too many games on the pile right now anyway, but I would like to get some games for my points before that site collapses completely.

It's been a while since I've logged in (maybe a year). I just logged in and my account still exists but they've completely wiped the list of games I was interested in which I am not happy about. I understand being taken out of line, if need be, but it's weird that they simply wiped out the games I had saved. There were a few obscure ones I Was interested in and am not sure I'll ever think of again.

A Goozex staffer recently posted this on the site's forum -

Zanna wrote:

I see that the line between fiction and journalistic news is becoming very thin... who said Zanna left Goozex?!?

Unless someone stole my account, here I am, still working at Goozex (please note the timestamp of this post) and still trading games and movies on the site.

It's true, we have been a bit absent from the site recently. At least, we have been absent from the forum. But we are still managing the company, running the site, updating it, and using for our own pleasure. I recently completed 20+ trades.

Am I cashing out - like some said? NO. At Goozex we decided to give a little burst to the trading activity and started requested a few random games and movies from random users. The hope here was to help those in need of extra points to earn them by doing a good positive trade, and then be able to request what they wanted from someone else.

Will I post these items back on the site? I usually do...

We are preparing to announce some important news for Goozex and its entire community. This is a project we have been working on for several months - often taking out most of our days (and nights). We are under NDA with a partner and I won't be able to disclose more, all I can say is that this project will shape the Goozex future in many ways and will allow the community and the system to grow.

We also have the development plans ready for some of the most requested features (disc+case anyone?). We hope that this project will offer Goozex the much coveted resources we need to implement it, and finally deliver what we promised you long time ago.

I hope to be able to share more good news by month-end.

Keep trading!

Looks to me like they're going to sell the site. Maybe they're planning on having Gamefly or Gamestop buy in, but I doubt there site is worth enough to either of those companies to bother. I'm not sure how that would work to improve supply in the user-to-user trading system either.

I'm still trying to get my points out of that system. I fortunately just received ModNation Racers, which I've wanted for quite some time. I still have 450 points I need to spend.

I still have 4500...

The amount of time it takes to get your game is insane. Unless they offer a sharply compelling reason to come back-- I'm done. Having my request list completely wiped out annoys me enough to simply ignore the few pts and trade coins I have left. I'll set a low-end trade up, I guess, but then I'm just going to forget about the site unless I hear of a reason I should return. Kinda annoyed.

The weekly price adjustment e-mails have pretty much all been for positive points lately, which makes me hopeful that I'll pop ahead a bit in the queues. I have plenty of points to burn, and I don't care that Alpha Protocol has gone from 250 to 400 points. Gimme gimme gimme!

demonbox wrote:

The amount of time it takes to get your game is insane. Unless they offer a sharply compelling reason to come back-- I'm done. Having my request list completely wiped out annoys me enough to simply ignore the few pts and trade coins I have left. I'll set a low-end trade up, I guess, but then I'm just going to forget about the site unless I hear of a reason I should return. Kinda annoyed.

It used to take a little patience. Now it takes a lot. It takes forever on just about any title to get through the queue at the slow pace trading is moving right now, even if you've had it in your queue for a while.

Also, I noticed re-reading that Goozex employee's quote that he seems to think the problem is at the demand side. This is troubling. But it looks like they are trying to address the inflation issue. It looks like now you can only buy points in 100 point increments. They used to sell them 1000+ at a time and give you a discount for doing so. Step in the right direction.

I'm kind of glad I cashed out about a year ago. Doesn't seem to be churning through like it used to.

Minarchist wrote:

The weekly price adjustment e-mails have pretty much all been for positive points lately, which makes me hopeful that I'll pop ahead a bit in the queues. I have plenty of points to burn, and I don't care that Alpha Protocol has gone from 250 to 400 points. Gimme gimme gimme!

This week I had 4 -50's and no positive point changes. It's all about what you've been looking for. Plus in the past 2 weeks, I've been matched for 2 trades, Prototype (PS3) and Top Gear Rally (N64). I've also got a number of games I'm near enough that if I activated them, I'd likely get them quick. But, I don't have time for them. I may activate a few soon. I'm also being a jerk and holding onto some games in my offers, despite being #1 in line... sorry guys. But honestly, I was about to get rid of some, but the wife is expressing interest. So I should probably remove myself from the queue on those. Still, I've got a large portion of odd old games on offer that have been sitting for a while and every once and a while someone will request one.

New CEO took office yesterday and sent out an email today. It is now a publically traded company.

Maybe they'll fix the Goozex economy... It sure seems like very few games are getting traded.

I don't know for sure if the economy is tied to games simply not being traded- but both need work. It's such a long trek to do a single trade.

I haven't received anything from my Goozex want list for more than a year now. Certainly not planning on sending out any more games until I cash out the full balance of my remaining points.

I just want to point out that for whatever reason, the trade counter jumped from just under 600 a few days ago, to over 1500 right now. I'm sure most of it is the no tokens required thing right now.

Wow. What's happening with their economy right now? They're raising the points for what seems like most games. Is this an effort to get more trading happening by giving them more in return?

firesloth wrote:

Wow. What's happening with their economy right now? They're raising the points for what seems like most games. Is this an effort to get more trading happening by giving them more in return?

Yes it will give whoever is sending more points. There's a post in the forums from the new owners (took control a month or so ago) about how the new point cap is 2400.