Brink Catch-All

LobsterMobster wrote:
I do think that Brink will at least make sure I know what the f*** just happened. That means I get to play the game even if there is someone hiding in a corner playing Click the Head.

Dont forget grenade spams

LobsterMobster wrote:
ranalin wrote:
Its not that unusual there are plenty of other games where you have to unload into a player before they drop. Some people like that others dont. I'm sure that's just one bit too. Like other games there'll be a laundry list of things people will bitch about.

People keep talking like this is a super unique gem and besides the movement its not.

I guess I missed that, what with the freestyle English you've got going here.

You're right that if you take out the one-shot kills, most of these games are pretty similar. The thing is, they all have one-shot kills, and they all have a weapon or class designed to take advantage of that. That changes the game dramatically.

this has engie's sentry guns, operative's sticky grenades and soldier's grenade spam that we've seen. No snipers in the game, but you're still going to die instantly from an unknown source in this game.

make fun of the grammar or whatever you want its still not changing the fact that this game is not unique outside of its movement mechanic.

Edit: Having a fancy movement system isnt unique either if you want to count Gunz. You were able to move around via Matrix style wall running and the like, but i give Brink credit for being more adaptive to the environment.

ranalin wrote:
Edit: Having a fancy movement system isnt unique either if you want to count Gunz. You were able to move around via Matrix style wall running and the like, but i give Brink credit for being more adaptive to the environment.

Crysis 2 is also using a lot of non-traditional movement. Not the same as Brink, but more vertical type stuff than most modern shooters.

I'm not making fun of your grammar, ranalin, I'm informing you that I'm having trouble reading what you are typing. You can choose not to care but that doesn't change that it's a thing.

In developer interviews, they've said no one-hit kills. They've said grenades are more concussive than damaging. You can call them liars if you want but they've said what they've said and I have no reason not to believe them other than that most other games don't take it in that direction.

Now if you're saying, "it's not that unique, Gunz did it," I'd like to know how many people know what the hell Gunz is without googling it. I wouldn't personally call a Korean game from 2003 particularly mainstream.

I'm not really sure what your point is, ranalin. I never said this was the first totally unique and original game ever. All I said is "I'm not going to get my head blown off by a sniper in a single shot." That seems to be an accurate statement. I know you like to snipe and I'm sorry if that disappoints you but it is what it is. It's not like the poor snipers don't have a billion other games they can play. I promise I'll shed a tear for them the first time I survive a headshot.

LobsterMobster wrote:
I promise I'll shed a tear for them the first time I survive a headshot.

LobsterMobster wrote:
I'm not making fun of your grammar, ranalin, I'm informing you that I'm having trouble reading what you are typing. You can choose not to care but that doesn't change that it's a thing.

In developer interviews, they've said no one-hit kills. They've said grenades are more concussive than damaging. You can call them liars if you want but they've said what they've said and I have no reason not to believe them other than that most other games don't take it in that direction.

Now if you're saying, "it's not that unique, Gunz did it," I'd like to know how many people know what the hell Gunz is without googling it. I wouldn't personally call a Korean game from 2003 particularly mainstream.

I'm not really sure what your point is, ranalin. I never said this was the first totally unique and original game ever. All I said is "I'm not going to get my head blown off by a sniper in a single shot." That seems to be an accurate statement. I know you like to snipe and I'm sorry if that disappoints you but it is what it is. It's not like the poor snipers don't have a billion other games they can play. I promise I'll shed a tear for them the first time I survive a headshot.

you dropped in and said this

LobsterMobster wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you want one-hit kills, play any other FPS ever. Even if it turns out to be a bad idea, it's an unusual idea. I think that means it's worth a shot before we all get upset over how Brink isn't doing things exactly like everyone else. There's room for both.

No where did you mention snipers until later. From the tone of your message you were making it sound like the cry of "no one-hit kills" was a mantra and they weren't happening in the game. Thats just not true from the videos they have posted so far. I'd gladly repost them if you want to see them again.

Yea i like to snipe, but i can adapt to whatever games out there. While i'm interested in the game and will more than likely buy and even enjoy it. I still have issues with the way they're promoting it. It has nothing to do with the mechanics. It's not unique like they want to make people believe. It's new and shiney and has the backing of new tech behind what they do, but the ideas behind the mechanics aren't new.

Well I'm going to back pedal on my generalization about Halo not having one-shot kills. Head shots are still rewarded with an instant kill, as are kills with the sword (forget the name) and Impact Hammer. I suppose a direct grenade hit will also do you in as well. That's quite a few ways for someone to do instantly, but they are not the only outcomes possible. Plus there is a certain skill requirement to getting kills by sniper rifle and melee. The grenades are more questionable, but still, they've been a part of FPS for a long time.

What I was getting at - and what I think the Splash Damage guys are getting at - is that someone should round a corner and not be killed instantly just because someone sent a burst of rifle fire in their direction.

AFAIK a headshot from a rifle will kill a light-bodied character with one shot.

The designers reason that's a fair trade off because of how agile the light character is.

Carry on.

Oh and at the end of a game (or round or whatever) the game ranks people by XP earned. That's the substitute for K/D, since XP is earned more quickly by helping than killing.

1Dgaf wrote:
Oh and at the end of a game (or round or whatever) the game ranks people by XP earned. That's the substitute for K/D, since XP is earned more quickly by helping than killing.

Battlefield does this, too, as does Homefront. Doesn't stop the occasional sniper sitting in their spawns being unproductive.

I don't see games ever eliminating the selfish players entirely.

carrotpanic wrote:
Mister Magnus wrote:
carrotpanic wrote:
Mister Magnus wrote:
the one-shot kills debate has killed this thread for me.

In one shot?

No, it's been death by a thousand posts

When the game comes out I'm sure we'll actually be talking about THAT.

Have you seen the Dragon Age 2 thread?

OK, ranalin, you're right. Every time they cut to a character in a montage we are to assume they are at 100% health at that moment and we are being shown how long it takes to kill them. Because really, who cares that there are sentries in the game? Everyone knew that, and everyone already knows exactly how sentries act. Clearly they shouldn't waste our time showing some other piece of equipment in the "equipment" trailer when they absolutely must show us precisely how long it takes a sentry to kill a target.

Kind of like how every TF2 trailer shows exactly how long it takes for each character to get into position, which is why the Meet the Heavy trailer is such a chore to watch.

my enthusiasm for this game -- enthusiasm that was there more than a year ago -- has been sapped.

Lobster, just walk away from it. Be the bigger crustacean. Do it for me. Please.

I'll buy you a round, too. Here:

It's not very often I get to be right. I was enjoying myself.

LobsterMobster wrote:
It's not very often I get to be right. I was enjoying myself. :(

I was silently rooting for you in my own little corner I feel pretty much the same about this stuff.

Maclintok wrote:
What I was getting at - and what I think the Splash Damage guys are getting at - is that someone should round a corner and not be killed instantly just because someone sent a burst of rifle fire in their direction.

and this.

Ranalin's just pissed because his aimbots are going to have significantly reduced effectiveness without 1-shot sniper kills.

Whatever the case is, I'm sure everyone will get used to it. I used to hate Bad Company 2 when I was playing Modern Warfare 2 at the same time, it just felt so ponderous compared to the lightning fast speeds with which death was dealt out in MW2, but I've been playing BC2 a lot more lately and now I'm finding I like it at least as much, I just needed to adjust to the mechanics, and I have no doubt Brink will be exactly the same.

Podunk wrote:
Ranalin's just pissed because his aimbots are going to have significantly reduced effectiveness without 1-shot sniper kills. ;)

lol i dont have to play sniper to get kills

Dyni wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
It's not very often I get to be right. I was enjoying myself. :(

I was silently rooting for you in my own little corner I feel pretty much the same about this stuff.

Maclintok wrote:
What I was getting at - and what I think the Splash Damage guys are getting at - is that someone should round a corner and not be killed instantly just because someone sent a burst of rifle fire in their direction.

and this.

This will still happen.

LobsterMobster wrote:
OK, ranalin, you're right. Every time they cut to a character in a montage we are to assume they are at 100% health at that moment and we are being shown how long it takes to kill them.

lol why are you so determined to nitpick around what i've been trying to point out from the start? The game isnt unique and there will be 1 shot kills? Everything else you bring up is just fluff. This isnt about winning... its about perpetuating misinformation which you seem inclined to do.

There's a difference between a montage and actual gameplay.

LobsterMobster wrote:

which is why the Meet the Heavy trailer is such a chore to watch.

You do realize the difference between a cg trailer and a gameplay video right? See? i can do that too?

Still if you want a montage it just so happens that someone was kind enough to tie in 2 of the gameplay videos i'm talking about into a montage on youtube. 2nd and 3rd parts show 1 hit kills. From sentries, close range shotgun blasts, grenades and grenade launchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-doMB...

edit: took out the embedded version it was breaking the page.

ranalin, your turn; Knock it off. Please.

sorry, I'll keep it lower case: please.

EDIT: FWIW (fwiw) I didn't see anyone as winning that debate, just the rest of us who tune into this thread to read new information as losing.

I'll just be quiet now and have another drink

Mister Magnus wrote:
ranalin, your turn; Knock it off. Please.

sorry, I'll keep it lower case: please.

EDIT: FWIW (fwiw) I didn't see anyone as winning that debate, just the rest of us who tune into this thread to read new information as losing.

I'll just be quiet now and have another drink :drink:

IMAGE(http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif)

MannishBoy wrote:
Garden Ninja wrote:
No one I know is playing it, and most Goodjers seem to be getting it on PC, so I'm going to cancel my pre-order. I does look pretty awesome, even if MP games aren't typically my thing, so I'll most likely get the PC version once I build a new machine that could actually play it.

There're a lot of us getting it on 360.

I just added it to the GWJ game spreadsheet that we use to collect gamertags.

OK. That's good to know. I had already canceled the preorder, and the preorder bonus on Amazon isn't that great, so I think at this point, I'll wait until reviews and/or a demo before I decide. I'm planning to build a gaming rig fairly soon, so I may wait and get it then, but it's good to know that there will be people to play with if I get it on 360.

I asked the creative director about whether a rife headshot on a light would kill him in one. He said they're still tweaking the values, but yes, it was a fair bet that's how it would work.

I'm not sure if I'm concerned or pleased they're still tweaking. I suppose it's good that they're still working on it - I don't know if it'll be on the disc or a patch post-launch - but hearing a company say they are still tweaking is somewhat unusual. Maybe others don't bother or don't admit.

1Dgaf wrote:
I asked the creative director about whether a rife headshot on a light would kill him in one. He said they're still tweaking the values, but yes, it was a fair bet that's how it would work.

I'm not sure if I'm concerned or pleased they're still tweaking. I suppose it's good that they're still working on it - I don't know if it'll be on the disc or a patch post-launch - but hearing a company say they are still tweaking is somewhat unusual. Maybe others don't bother or don't admit.

If it's not gold yet, that's probably not unusual at all. That's beta stage type balancing.

SD have said the game is designed in a way that it's easy for them to tweak balance after release.

I'd be more concerned if they couldn't tweak values after launch.

If they're still trying to figure out whether or not to have one-hit kills on the lights then that's their call and not that big a deal to me. I can always choose not to play light, and I was already thinking I'd be a big hulking medic. That may change once I've played with the SMART system a bit. Going to have to see if it's better to take some fire as I go to help someone or if I'd rather just jump the damn wall.

Not to drag us back into the other conversation...

Well, you don't really go to help someone as in other games. You chuck them a syringe and they choose to revive themselves or not. I assume you can be a bit further away when you help 'em.

Subbing to this thread with the hope the dead horse can pull the cart out of the rut.

LiquidMantis wrote:
Subbing to this thread with the hope the dead horse can pull the cart out of the rut.

Is there a sleeping dog in the cart? Laying?

I'm not the only one who's planning on making my dude a garish pink monstrosity, right? There better be adequate clothing options to facilitate this objective.

MannishBoy wrote:
LiquidMantis wrote:
Subbing to this thread with the hope the dead horse can pull the cart out of the rut.

Is there a sleeping dog in the cart? Laying?

No, but there be dragons.