Dragon Age: Origins Catch-All
Dragon Age: Origins is the "Spiritual Successor" of BG. It is a strictly single player "Dark Fantasy" RPG built on what Bioware called "the Eclipse Engine." The game uses a "DnD like" rule system. The PC version of the game will be released with a Toolset that is promised to be more powerful and more accessible then those of previous Bioware games.
Since this is asked a lot: There will NOT be Multiplayer of DA:O. Perhaps it will be available in a sequel, but definitely not in DA:O.
******Patch 1.02 is out****** See linked thread for details (thanks Jeff-66)
What this thread is about
This thread is here to give fellow gamers some general information on the game, to help newbies understand what the game is all about. The thread can also be used for technical help and general tips and tricks. SPOILER DISCUSSION HERE.
Please keep me updated on any info that you find, so I can keep the OP as updated as possible. Also, let me know if you think a section should be changed somehow. Thanks!
Table of Content
- This first post (OP): general information on the game. Differences between PC and Console version. Useful links.
- 2nd Post: DLCs, DRM talk, official Downloads, Sequels (Yes, lets be honest, there WILL be sequals ) and other DA:O related games. Differences of different versions of the game: Regular Retail/Digital Distribution(DD) Editions, Retail Collectors Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition.
- (Updated 12/3 AW info)3rd Post: More specific game information. Player posted tips and info for people that are new to the game. Also Backstories.
- 4th Post: Spoiler free player reviews/impressions.
- (12/7 Post patch 1.02 Mod Clean up)Fifth Post: Tweaks, Mods (now with more [color=purple]fruity[/color] [color=blue]colors[/color]!), Technical FAQ.
- Compiled list of player tips, kind of a list of "Gee, I wish I knew that before I started the game." Also, some general technical support info.
- Mods. (I think keeping this one updated will be the death of me. )
Differences between PC and Console versions (or why you should play the PC version eventually )
Basically, Console version of the game is easier, and more action oriented. Whereas the PC version of the game will be harder, requires more tactical planning in battles. Console version will have game play more akin to that of Mass Effect, whereas the PC version will play more like BG (with lots of pausing).
You actually don't need a very beefy PC to run the game.
- PC version of DA is bit harder than the Console version. Enemies in the Console version of DA will come in "waves."
- Difference in Console version: "Ring Structure" to access commands. Also, Console version will have a more action oriented feel to it. Another video showing the console interface.(thanks garion333)Second Giant Bomb Quick look Showcasing more console interface/gameplay.
- At release, console version of DA will have a 3rd-person "over the shoulder" view that is NOT changeable. Only the PC version will have the "isometric view" (in addition to the 3rd-person view). post.
- While the PC version of DA will provide a more complete experience. Bioware has done a fantastic job of porting the game to the console. All the changes (gameplay and UI) in the console version make sense for the console. As a die-hard PC-only gamer, I actually think that the "vanilla" game experience of DA on consoles will be just as complete as that of the PC.
- The key benefit (or bane) of PC version is that it will be easily tweakable and more importantly, moddable. DA:O is poised to have a very active "modding scene." However, console players will be happy to know that Bioware has said that they plan to port "good" mods to the console versions of DA.
General info, or why you SHOULD play the game:
Full list here (updated semi-regularly)
In short, if phrases like "lots of unique NPC interactions and banters;" "In depth Party based combat systems;" "Deep character developement;" "lots of choices, with no clear indication of "good/evil;" "BG in 3D;" make you happy. Then you SHOULD get DA. (Oh did I mention there will be sex and lots of blood too?)