Help me enjoy X-Com

Cayne wrote:

.... actually i have no idea if a gunny outranks a high ranking medical officer....

Don't you ever watch MASH? They're all Captains and Majors. Technically they outrank a Gunny, but I don't think you'll find a field surgeon ordering a Master Sergeant around, unless Gunny is shot up and the doc is ordering bed rest. Even then, sparks will probably fly.

ExitPursuedByBear wrote:

Chryssalids, blaster bombs and only one casualty? Tamren is highly skilled.

Or just incredibly lucky.

I'd take either.

I think any officer technically outranks a gunnery sergeant, since a gunny is non-com. But a gunny can destroy most officers with just a glare and a scowl.

IMAGE(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/431685117_4137a29ced_o.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/q3Itql.jpg)

Tamren wrote:

A cryssalid emerges from the darkness, but Vega is ready! He raises his laser pistol and double taps the Cryssalid in the face LIKE A BOSS.

Now that I've proven myself with this pea shooter I hope to be issued something.. with a bit more fire power. That incident involving Quintin and a few little pieces of shrapnel are so in the past. I hear the limp is barely noticeable anyway.

We should start another thread just for Aliens quote pyramids:

How do I get out of this chicken sh*t outfit, anyway?

Unmitigated Badassery.

And yes, Officers may outrank USMC Gunnery Sergeants, but very few dare oppose their will. They're kind of like Navy Chiefs in that regard.

Vega wrote:
Tamren wrote:

A cryssalid emerges from the darkness, but Vega is ready! He raises his laser pistol and double taps the Cryssalid in the face LIKE A BOSS.

Now that I've proven myself with this pea shooter I hope to be issued something.. with a bit more fire power. That incident involving Quintin and a few little pieces of shrapnel are so in the past. I hear the limp is barely noticeable anyway.

VEGA!!!!!

Vega wrote:

Now that I've proven myself with this pea shooter I hope to be issued something.. with a bit more fire power.

That was an oversight of mine, we only have 7 laser rifles in stock. I can remember manufacturing an 8th, but I have no idea what happened to it. Probably got vapourized by a blaster bomb. You were the odd man out and I had to give you a laser pistol. Normally those are used as sidearms by people with rocket launchers.

ExitPursuedByBear wrote:

Chryssalids, blaster bombs and only one casualty? Tamren is highly skilled.

Frankly I was expecting a blaster bomb to take out half the team and watch the other half run around in circles while the cryssalids moved in. Damn right we got lucky.

After selling off the supplies we recovered last mission our bank account has swollen to 6.5 million. I immediately used half of that to hire another 50 scientists to work in the lab that will finish tomorrow. I also started production on another 20 suits of armour. I'm currently shuffling suits around but we need a suit for everyone in case the base gets raided. Suits people die in can't be reused of course.

Its the 19th and as morning dawns we detect a UFO. A medium scout over Alaska. Interceptor 1 is still in for repairs so we have no choice but to bring interceptor 2 from across the ocean. And then we detect another UFO. And another... 2 large ufos and 2 so massive they can only be battleships. Interceptor 2 arrives and shoots down the medium scout over the ocean before it is forced to turn back. One of the large UFOs lands in Ontario and I decide to deploy.

On the ship this time will be everyone who didn't make squaddie last mission. Plus one new rookie and our latest clone. To fill the rest of the bird I'm bringing the tank and some veterans out of reserve. The new list:

Wandering Toaist - Rocket Tank

Coldstream
Feeank
Lesterking
Ataraxis
Ranger Rick
Ubrakto III

Blacksheep
Redwing
Nightmare
Cayne

Hopefully the two captains can keep the new guys in line. The skyranger moves out and we deploy to the large UFO.

I'm gonna be a while sorting out everyones equipment. I was careful to bring extra, but the computer decided to give Cayne 2 detpacks, 2 grenades, 2 medkits, a motion tracker and a laser rifle IN EACH HAND. Brb, organizing.

Mission Begins: Toaist rolls off the ramp and begins to scout. He spots a cryssalid past a barn standing with its back turned in a cabbage patch. Ranger Rick moves to the end of the ramp and fires his heavy cannon. Direct hit! But the cryssalid toughs it out. Rick fires again but his shot is long and flies past the bug and out of sight. Redwing is up next and takes a shot with his rocket launcher. But its a hasty attempt and the shot knocks down half of the barn, oops.

What follows is a shooting gallery as soldiers move to the ramp and open fire. The distance is great however and no one can land a shot. Nightmare shoots wide, Coldstream does too, finally Ataraxis hits the bug in the shoulder, but its still up! Lester King hits the cryssalid in the ass with a heavy plasma bolt! But the fricken cryssalid lives. What does it take to kill this thing? Ubrakto is the last person able to take a shot, but he misses as well.

New turn. The cryssalid walks away out of sight, then returns to face our troops. Another cryssalid appears in a field to the east and retreats. Nightmare lines up an aimed shot, miss, tries again, miss. This goddam bug is making a fool out of us. Redwing reloads his rocket launcher and misses again. Cayne takes an aimed shot, hits a nearby fence. Lester King shoots, HITS! but the cryssalid tanks the SECOND heavy plasma shot to the chest.

WTF. I mean seriously. I have Feeank pick up a mind probe and scan the thing. Look at this!

Its not even bleeding!
IMAGE(http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6535/74170289.png)
Sigh... At least we have proof that the game didn't bug out and were not playing on rookie difficulty.

Its getting late so I'll have to continue later. Stay tuned for more tales of Supercryssalid.

Uh oh. Are we starting a death pool on any members of this squad?

Glad to see my accuracy is about as good as it probably would be in real life if you handed me a rocket-launcher!

The_Judge wrote:

Uh oh. Are we starting a death pool on any members of this squad?

I think we should, these guys look like they're gonna get nailed. Maybe we should start dividing up the contents of their footlockers?

Just rusty; I haven't been let out of my cage for a while. We'll nail those alien bastards, you'll see.

Tamren wrote:

Nightmare shoots wide, Coldstream does too

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a sharpshooter!

Anyone ever used this exploit:

Zombie's Permanent Control of Aliens via Stunning

1) Mindcontrol any 1x1-sized alien, except Zombies (as these can't be awakened once unconscious).
2) Stun that alien. Stun Bombs from the Small Launcher are the preferred method, because the stun rod depends on alien status to function. (On Windows Version, you can´t use the Stun Rod on friendly units).
3) Revive the alien. You can either wait until the alien recovers on it's own, or use stimulant shots from a Medi-Kit to speed things along.
4) Wait until the start of your next round. After the alien wakes up, it will appear as alien, but this lasts just for your present turn.

That's it, the alien should now be under permanent X-COM control. You can do anything with an X-COM alien as you can with a normal soldier: Directly access the aliens inventory screen without scrolling through all your guys first. Arm it and send it in as a advance scout into UFOs. In all practicality, they are yours to do with as you please.

I think it might be amusing to have the people turned into Chryssalid's be "re-enlisted".

82 Reaction Stat on Chryssalids!!

No wonder they get to walk out in front of your team, dance a jig, do some stand-up, perform "Pagliacci", and show you "the full moon", and still not have your team Reaction-Fire.

Firing at, and not downing (hits or no hits) a Chryssalid is always a pants-wetting experience (unless, of course, you're flying).

KABLAM! Lester King blasts the cryssalid in the neck and puts it down for good! Lets move...

Ataraxis advances into the nearby barn. Toaist continues to scout and uses rockets to knock down several fences. Ubrakto, Rick and Coldstream stack up at a corner, prepared to round the barn. Both of them have explosive weapons, so we can't use them in tight tunnels. That said they CAN hit stuff around corners, and its a terror ship...

New turn. Ranger Rick rounds the corner and spots a cryssalid in a giant wheat field! Ataraxis attacks, landing on shot on the bugs hip! Lester King shoots, but misses. Cayne tries next and lands a hit. Nightmare lands two. The bug is unfazed!

New turn. The cryssalid turns and flees from the blizzard of laser bolts. The doors to the UFO open and out walks a snakeman, he shoots at Toaist but hits a tree, then retreats inside. Suddenly the door opens again! A cryssalid walks out, then another. Then a THIRD! Redwing crouches and hits the side of the UFO just above the first bugs head! Blacksheep attacks next, but hits nothing! Ubrakto rakes the area with autocannon shells, landing 4 direct hits!

IMAGE(http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9563/23867099.png)

Ranger rick attacks! His heavy cannon bucks and he gets a direct hit! The shell slams the cryssalid against the door and it drops. His next shell is just as good and hits the second cryssalid. The bug stands firm, even as the body of the first explodes into gibs! Coldstream is the last trooper with a shot, so he fires his stun bombs... and misses completely.

Toaist finally takes action and takes aim at the closer bug! He lauches a rocket!... and the rocket streaks past the bug, over a fence and narrowly misses a barn before flying off the map.

*facepalm*

New turn. A snakeman appears, sees the devastation and runs back inside. One of the cryssalids follows. Toaist rolls forward and takes aim at the remaining bug. The cryssalid stands behind a fence and several trees, but Toaist aims true and the rocket explodes against the bugs flank, flattening the area and leaving him standing in a crater! Naturally this doesn't kill the bug. With the trees gone a snakeman is revealed standing further along the UFO hull.

Feeanks starts building his soldier cred and takes an aimed shot at the cryssalid. Direct hit to the collarbone! Awesome, but apart from a cloud of vapourized ichor the bug might as well be a statue. Redwing, who has had quite enough of this crap, shoves another rocket into his launcher. KSHEEEEEWWW *BOOM*. Direct hit!... and the bug still stands in his crater, now several feet deep. Ranger Rick attacks, his first shot explodes at the cryssalids feet, the second hits wide. His gun clicks empty and Rick reloads! Beside him Ubrakto spins up his autocannon... and misses with all 4 shots before his gun runs dry too! Last in line, Blacksheep opens fire! Two direct hits! And STILL the fricken bug glares at us. Finally, Ataraxis rounds the southern corner of the barn and gets two hits of his own. Cryssalid down!

Not having anyone else to shoot at it. Coldstream reloads his stun launcher and blasts the snakeman down.

New turn. A cryssalid exits the UFO and stares down our tank. By the unconscious snakeman another bug appears. Meanwhile down south Cayne, Nightmare, Ataraxis and Lester King have been staring across a wheat field at a barn with a hole in it. One of the cryssalids retreated this way and I'm not going to chance moving them closer. However they do have a good angle for a flank shot on the second cryssalid.

Lester King shoots first and lands a shot to the side of the second cryssalid! Ataraxis is next and his shot weaves through fences and wheat. HIT! Nightmare goes for style points and shoots a burst. Two of his shots miss, but they were not needed because his first was enough! Alien down. Cayne targets the first cryssalid and gets a hit of his own, before turning to survey the barn.

Meanwhile Redwing drops his empty rocket launcher and draws his laser pistol. His shots are hasty and hit wide. Blacksheep finally earns his keep and downs the cryssalid in a single shot! We advance on the doors. But slowly...

New turn. A snakeman moves out the door and shoots Toaist! The shot smacks against the tanks front armour and fizzles. Ranger Rick returns fire but hits wide! Toaist launches a rocket, but it hits the ground nearby and shrapnel rips down the snake from behind! Toaist advances and nudges the door to the UFO open, a snakeman stands there with his back turned. Toaist retreats. Ataraxis attacks, his angle is poor but he still manages to get a hit.Ranger Rick shoots through the open door and his heavy cannon shell flies past the alien and into the UFO, he shoots twice more and lands a strike on the snakemans back! Alien down.

New turn. We cautiously advance but don't spot anything. Toaist roams inside the UFO and discovers a dead cryssalid inside. Looks like the blast from his rocket went inside and splatted it. Nice.

New turn. Toaist rolls forward to the other UFO door and spots a cryssalid off in the distance. Cayne advances past the barn he was watching. Only to see a stable in the distance, its door open... Cayne wisely stops and reaches for a grenade. Nightmare behind him does the same. The rest of the squad open fire on the lone bug. Actually what happens is Ataraxis cuts off its leg with a single shot. PROBLEM XENOS?!

With the immediate area clear we begin to move towards the UFO doors.

New turn. A snakeman opens the door and attacks Toaist! His armour holds and blacksheep returns fire, downing it with a shot to the chest! Redwing holsters his laser pistol and loots a heavy plasma. The north team forms up on the door behind Toaist. The south team advances. Nightmare and Cayne lob their det packs at that suspicious stable...

New turn. Toaist rolls forward, only to bump into a snakeman just around the corner! Too close! He backs off. Redwing moves up beside him and attacks, landing a single shot. Ubrakto fires a triple burst of frag beside the snakeman. Blacksheep attacks next and also gets a shot. Finally Coldstream launches a stun ball and the snakeman falls.

To the south both detpacks explode and the stable is vapourized! Ataraxis and Cayne check out the area but its deserted.

New turn. Toaist advances. PLASMA! Heavy bolts rain down from above and hit the tank! They puncture the thin top armour and slag the engine! Toaist is crippled! Nightmare advances and spots the snakeman in an upper alcove! He downs it with a burst to the chest. We take up positions and wait for the south team to arrive.

New turn. A snakeman emerges from the engine room! Redwing guns him down! We advance slowly.

Couple turns later. We continue to creep forward. Redwing covers the door to the engine room whole Coldstream and Blacksheep round the UFO from the north. PLASMA FIRE! A bolt shrieks over Blacksheeps head! Then another! Blacksheep is hit from behind! HIS ARMOUR HOLDS! Blacksheep is unhurt! He whirls on the spot but can't see the snake! Blacksheep retreats!

Ranger Rick moves up and fires his last 2 heavy cannon shells into the alcove. The snake sucks it up and refuses to budge! Lester King joins him and rakes the alcove with suppressing plasma!

New turn. The snakeman cracks under pressure and goes berserk! He sprays plasma wildly around the room before Lester gets his range in and lands a shot to the chest! Alien down! Redwing and Ataraxis advance into the engine room and cover the gravity lift with thier guns. Blacksheep moves to join them, but suddenly spots another snakeman in the alcove on the other side! He opens fire, downing the snake in a hail of laser beams!

New turn. A snakeman walks through the door and gapes at the corpses littering the alcove. Blacksheep doesn't miss a beat and guns it down too!

UFO Secure! 12 aliens killed! A surprising 4 captured alive. We must have knocked out most of those cryssalids. Since the UFO landed instead of being shot down we made out like a bandit. 200 elerium, 4 power cores, 8 nav consoles and almost 100 metal.

Our rocket tank was a total loss, but Toaist still has his spiffy laser tank. So no harm

Tamren wrote:

KABLAM! Lester King blasts the cryssalid in the neck and puts it down for good! Lets move...

Ataraxis advances into the nearby barn. Toaist continues to scout and uses rockets to knock down several fences. Ubrakto, Rick and Coldstream stack up at a corner, prepared to round the barn. Both of them have explosive weapons, so we can't use them in tight tunnels. That said they CAN hit stuff around corners, and its a terror ship...

New turn. Ranger Rick rounds the corner and spots a cryssalid in a giant wheat field! Ataraxis attacks, landing on shot on the bugs hip! Lester King shoots, but misses. Cayne tries next and lands a hit. Nightmare lands two. The bug is unfazed!

New turn. The cryssalid turns and flees from the blizzard of laser bolts. The doors to the UFO open and out walks a snakeman, he shoots at Toaist but hits a tree, then retreats inside. Suddenly the door opens again! A cryssalid walks out, then another. Then a THIRD! Redwing crouches and hits the side of the UFO just above the first bugs head! Blacksheep attacks next, but hits nothing! Ubrakto rakes the area with autocannon shells, landing 4 direct hits!

IMAGE(http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9563/23867099.png)

Ranger rick attacks! His heavy cannon bucks and he gets a direct hit! The shell slams the cryssalid against the door and it drops. His next shell is just as good and hits the second cryssalid. The bug stands firm, even as the body of the first explodes into gibs! Coldstream is the last trooper with a shot, so he fires his stun bombs... and misses completely.

Toaist finally takes action and takes aim at the closer bug! He lauches a rocket!... and the rocket streaks past the bug, over a fence and narrowly misses a barn before flying off the map.

*facepalm*

New turn. A snakeman appears, sees the devastation and runs back inside. One of the cryssalids follows. Toaist rolls forward and takes aim at the remaining bug. The cryssalid stands behind a fence and several trees, but Toaist aims true and the rocket explodes against the bugs flank, flattening the area and leaving him standing in a crater! Naturally this doesn't kill the bug. With the trees gone a snakeman is revealed standing further along the UFO hull.

Feeanks starts building his soldier cred and takes an aimed shot at the cryssalid. Direct hit to the collarbone! Awesome, but apart from a cloud of vapourized ichor the bug might as well be a statue. Redwing, who has had quite enough of this crap, shoves another rocket into his launcher. KSHEEEEEWWW *BOOM*. Direct hit!... and the bug still stands in his crater, now several feet deep. Ranger Rick attacks, his first shot explodes at the cryssalids feet, the second hits wide. His gun clicks empty and Rick reloads! Beside him Ubrakto spins up his autocannon... and misses with all 4 shots before his gun runs dry too! Last in line, Blacksheep opens fire! Two direct hits! And STILL the fricken bug glares at us. Finally, Ataraxis rounds the southern corner of the barn and gets two hits of his own. Cryssalid down!

Not having anyone else to shoot at it. Coldstream reloads his stun launcher and blasts the snakeman down.

New turn. A cryssalid exits the UFO and stares down our tank. By the unconscious snakeman another bug appears. Meanwhile down south Cayne, Nightmare, Ataraxis and Lester King have been staring across a wheat field at a barn with a hole in it. One of the cryssalids retreated this way and I'm not going to chance moving them closer. However they do have a good angle for a flank shot on the second cryssalid.

Lester King shoots first and lands a shot to the side of the second cryssalid! Ataraxis is next and his shot weaves through fences and wheat. HIT! Nightmare goes for style points and shoots a burst. Two of his shots miss, but they were not needed because his first was enough! Alien down. Cayne targets the first cryssalid and gets a hit of his own, before turning to survey the barn.

Meanwhile Redwing drops his empty rocket launcher and draws his laser pistol. His shots are hasty and hit wide. Blacksheep finally earns his keep and downs the cryssalid in a single shot! We advance on the doors. But slowly...

New turn.

Yeaaaahhhh beeyatch! Finally come through! After about a billion shots! I'm more than ready to take what's coming through that door -- as long as Redwing and Lester are playing human shield.

...and now I'm a badass among a team of badasses. When you want something done right, send in Alien Team 6. And I take all that back about Redwing being a human shield. We'll definitely need Prozac and Laars on this squad to fulfill those vital duties.

Hell yeah. I am a man of ACTION!

Glad that's true somewhere. Thanks for the play-by-play! =) Keep it coming!

That's truly an elite squad, if no chryssalids got to turn soldiers into zombies....pretty impressive Tamren, nice tactics...

I knew I would be awesome.

I love these posts. Where's the damn +1 button?

A bit of a tip: I know the splash damage ammo has its appeal, but certain aliens are rather heavily armoured, Cryssalids, Snakemen, and maybe Mutons (I don't recall). Against these, armour-piercing ammo is "needed", hence the frequent times that you (or they) score hits without causing (or causing little) damage. Alternatively some will take increased damage from things like explosive, and others will by incendiary.

And, stopping Terror Ships before they get to their evil, is a huge win as the actual terror missions lack a UFO to recover/salvage.

If there's need/room for any more cannon fodder in the future, sign me up!

Okay we got back to base, cashed in our loot and are ready to leave again. Before the last mission there were 5 UFOs, we shot down one of them over the ocean. Then recovered a second. There are 3 left, 2 battleships and another large UFO. No idea what that one is, but we will now attack one of the battleships.

Our crew for this mission is a slew of old hands. Plus Oreo, our newest redshirt. Toaist and our tank are gonna take a break for now. In light of our difficulties last round with the cryssalids I am upgrading our heavies to heavy plasma for now. I am also phasing out small rockets entirely. AP ammo is almost useless against Mutons but pretty good otherwise. HE is good for reasons stated earlier. Plasma is better overall.

MrDevil
Winkgun
Prozac
Nathanial
Milkman
Pursuedbybear
Mrtomaytohead
Psych
Tanglebones
Dreamer
Alkaline
Moondragon
Hypatian
Oreo

Mission begins. We have landed northeast of the UFO, with buildings to the south. Hypatian and Alkaline are off first and have a look around

New Turn: Nothing reveals itself but we hear a lot of movement. We begin to spread out.

New turn. CONTACT! A snakeman emerges from a building to the south! Psych attacks! The first whiffs, the second hits a fence. The snakeman shoots back! Dreamer is hit in the chest! Psych attacks again and downs the snakeman with a heavy plasma bolt! Dreamer retreats and Milkman patches him up. Oreo advances and spots another snakeman just past the first. he opens fire and misses completetly! Psych shows him how its done and guns down the second snakeman! No further contacts, we advance.

New turn. We spot suspicious movement in a distant field, but can't tell what it was. A snakeman emerges from the UFO lift! It takes a shot at Tanglebones! The bolt streaks over his head! Tanglebones returns fire, hitting the snakeman in the chest! The snakeman retreats! Tanglebones gets a last shot in and hits the snakeman in the back just before the door closes! Hypatian throws a detback into a stable.

New turn. The detpack explodes and the stable is obliterated! Plasma splashes against a fence just in front of Oreo! The grav lift door opens and the snakeman attacks Tanglebones! The bolt narrowly misses! Tanglebones returns fire and downs the snakeman! A cryssalid appears and charges out of the lift! Milkman shoots it in the chest and it retreats! Just before it can dive back into the lift Milkman shoots the cryssalid in the back of the head! Alien down! Oreo advances and spots a snakeman trying to hide behind the lift! He shoots, and downs the snakeman in two shots!

New turn. We creep forward, with plenty of men ready to gun down any bugs that might approach. mrtomaytohead spots one on the far side of the ufo and attacks. Miss, Miss, HIT! The bug goes down!

new turn. Alkaline investigates the remains of the shattered stable and nearby house. She spots a snakeman standing in a doorway but doesn't have time for a shot! Prozac hefts his rocket launcher and shoots. Its a perfect shot! The rocket knocks the corner off of the building and the snakeman is flanked! Winkgun opens fire and downs the snakeman on his 5th shot! We advance further, using the buildings and smoke as cover.

New turn...

its late, I'll finish tomorrow.

Tamren wrote:

Hypatian throws a detback into a stable.

New turn. The detpack explodes and the stable is obliterated!

Woo! I got to blow something up!

Sweet, I finally got back into action, and it only took 2 shots to warm up!

I seem to have a knack for the near-misses

For the record, that fence had it coming.

Well at least I probably severely inconvenienced a few aliens in my last fight, never has a guy with a rocket launcher so failed to kill things!

Wonderful updates Tamren!

It's good to be back in action. Recall though, Moondragon is a hopeless scaredy-pants coward. He shoots at anything he can possibly aim at, no matter the distance or teammates in the way.

MoonDragon wrote:

Wonderful updates Tamren!

It's good to be back in action. Recall though, Moondragon is a hopeless scaredy-pants coward. He shoots at anything he can possibly aim at, no matter the distance or teammates in the way. :)

Um... ok we are moving you in front of me then.
At least if you shoot what you are aiming at that is big improvement over some of the troops lately.