Medal of Honor (Modern Era version) revealed

I'm Edwin in the friends system. Feel free to add me.

XGeneral_ChaozX wrote:

It looks like the Beta is only for the PS3 and the PC do we know if it will be on any other platforms?

Yeah XBox got boned, we're supposed to get it "sometime" next week. Emphasis on the "sometime"...

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Is there anyway to quit once you are in a game? There was no option to at the respawn screen and escape didn't do anything. I tried to alt-tab out to close the window but it didn't recognize the alt key apparently so I was just bringing up the scoreboard. I had to bring up the task manager to get out of the damn game.

You'll need to get to the class select screen before you can exit the server.

Edit: You'll need to spawn in the match before you can exit the server like in BFBC2. Go figure.

I played a few more games. The movement and aiming feels (in my opinion) exactly like BC2. The server browser is FUBAR'd, I haven't played a game that had more than 10 people.

I'll send out some invites.

Managed to get into a game with 24 people and it was pretty fun. There are some issues, I noticed a lot of good camping spots that might get annoying. In one game my team managed to spawn lock the other team and it was a disaster. We won because the other team just kept spawning in around the same area and we just kept mowing them down.

I just signed up but they seem to be slowing down the amount of keys being given out. I have to wait.

It's been used scratched. Don't know who got it.

edit: code gone

Regarding the game itself, I can see ways it could be a bit better of a PC game, but from what I can see it's team deathmatch and a BC2 rush+conquest variant. The weapons seem more deadly that BC2, so you need to be accurate and get a good first hit. It's a different game to BC2, but close enough that I'd think twice if you want something really different for multiplayer.

So guys, from what you played so far, for someone who already has BC2 and MW2 this is a no-buy, right?

I can understand that MoH is trying to be more real-world, and I understand getting shot can mess up your entire day, but I can't help wishing for a not-hardcore mode although that would make it possibly too similar to other games.

Scratched wrote:

edit: code gone

Regarding the game itself, I can see ways it could be a bit better of a PC game, but from what I can see it's team deathmatch and a BC2 rush+conquest variant. The weapons seem more deadly that BC2, so you need to be accurate and get a good first hit. It's a different game to BC2, but close enough that I'd think twice if you want something really different for multiplayer.

There's no bullet drop either or next to none.

After playing wth a bunch of people here for awhile now and listening to their likes and dislikes. As it stands now i dont see everyone liking this as much as BC2 or MW2. Like Scratched mentioned the weapons are more deadly. There's no deatch cam so its default mode is more like the Hardcore mode of the other 2 games.

The maps are pretty amazing though and while they have no squad system they set it up so that if your rushing you're not stuck with having to spawn on the snipers in the back. They have options to spawn on the front line or the base on the rush/conquest style maps. Which doesnt take as long as the BC2 maps. Avg time has been 15min from start to finish.

They also solved the problem of having to rely on a person to give you ammo by having ammo caches scattered around the map.

Oh the sniper rifles... You start off with M21 or the SVD equivalent and can upgrade to a M24 or SV98. With the first ones the most powerful scopes you can have on them are the ACOGs. Which puts you in killable range of the other assualt rifles. The last 2 can be upgraded with High Powered scopes and with them its like you're truly the hand of god reaching out. You can be 2 spawn points away and still making shots with that thing. Still those last 2 there's no reticule unless you zoom in and the sway is significant, then they added an additional settling motion when you hold your breath that will make almost impossible to make snap shots. So you wont be seeing snipers running around with them mowing people down. The first 2 though are semi-auto and have a reticule so its not uncommon to see them on the front lines. Still more often than now a rifle will win against them.

The movement and mouse feel exactly like BC2, but the weapons are just ridiculous. There is no point in using grenades because they don't do enough damage to kill, even when they land at your feet. Meanwhile a 2-3 sec burst from an M4 can take down anyone, almost all the way across the map.

There are no firefights generally, the first person to fire wins, almost every time and the weapons feel fake, almost like paintball guns.

It's like EA told DICE to remake CoD4, but DICE only watched video clips online.

Say what you will about MW2 but that game drips polish. It feels like MW2 hardcore with about half the budget and a quarter of the polish. Maybe we'll see some improvements during the beta?

I friend-ed Ranalin, Edwin, and Gunner (game name Gunner [GWJ]) last night. Did any of you guys get a request?

It's hard to say what options DICE have for MoH. I don't think they can really just make a CoD style deathmatch game, as activision release one of those every year and it works well enough for them, if you don't nail it then you're just a cheap knockoff. What MoH feels like now is an odd mix of ArmA, BC2 and CoD, but doesn't really feel like it has it's own identity.

Perhaps it's the maps, I don't think short-med range combat is that fun with such lethal weapons, whoever sees the enemy first usually wins with no real battle between players. Maps like Helmand valley have longer range encounters with cover to duck behind, but I found most of it was still short-med range at an objective.

You guys are describing why I didn't play much MW2. Think I only made it up to the low 20s before deciding it wasn't my game.

Might still do the SP for this, but it's sounding like I won't like the MP.

i38warhawk wrote:

The movement and mouse feel exactly like BC2, but the weapons are just ridiculous. There is no point in using grenades because they don't do enough damage to kill, even when they land at your feet. Meanwhile a 2-3 sec burst from an M4 can take down anyone, almost all the way across the map.

There are no firefights generally, the first person to fire wins, almost every time and the weapons feel fake, almost like paintball guns.

I thought the movement felt smoother than in BC2 although that may have been the terrain. I don't really know how to explain this but, to me, the weapons felt like they had more heft which I liked. I agree that they are kind of overpowered. I think that is why I was able to do so well since I never really got into any real firefights. I am so used to sneaking around 24-32 man BC2 servers that I was able to surprise people in the 16-ish man servers I was playing on and kill them (without headshots) before they could respond.

My screen just sits on "connecting" when I load up the game. Can't really find any clear solutions for that one.

The people issuing forth complaints as though this is the final game are funny. It's still over four months from release.

If other games are any example... that's a whole lot of balance/polish time.

And if you want the guns to do less damage, then indeed, there are tons of other games already doing exactly that. It seems at least right now that this game's trying to differentiate itself a little, and that's quite frankly exactly what I want.

But then I've long been tired of guns in games looking and sounding powerful but feeling like I might as well be shooting enemies with spitwads.

Thin_J wrote:

The people issuing forth complaints as though this is the final game are funny. It's still over four months from release.

If other games are any example... that's a whole lot of balance/polish time.

And if you want the guns to do less damage, then indeed, there are tons of other games already doing exactly that. It seems at least right now that this game's trying to differentiate itself a little, and that's quite frankly exactly what I want.

But then I've long been tired of guns in games looking and sounding powerful but feeling like I might as well be shooting enemies with spitwads.

Four months may not be as long as it sounds when it comes to game development. Often games go into content lockdown a long LONG time before 'gold' or release date because it needs to be debugged and stable. You could read into the fact that there's a release date that they're confident there's no major reworking required.

That said, it feels like DICE have made their decision for weapon effectiveness, different or not it's just not feeling fun to me.

Thin_J wrote:

The people issuing forth complaints as though this is the final game are funny. It's still over four months from release.

If other games are any example... that's a whole lot of balance/polish time.

I didn't notice much difference between the Bad Company 2 beta and the final product.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

I didn't notice much difference between the Bad Company 2 beta and the final product.

The BC2 beta started only a little over a month before the release.

Thin_J wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:

I didn't notice much difference between the Bad Company 2 beta and the final product.

The BC2 beta started only a little over a month before the release.

And there was significant difference between the 2.

Played earlier today and was able to slip behind the back lines just as the objective moved up. I ended up with a score of 35-2 and they didnt make it past the next point. They'd get to the top of the hill and i'd pick them off.

Certis wrote:

My screen just sits on "connecting" when I load up the game. Can't really find any clear solutions for that one.

Is this through Steam?

I'm willing to wait and see what they do with their remaining time. The terrain out of the 2 maps is probably some of the best i've seen in a shooter yet. While there's no squads if you're on comms with a group you could roll through an area and lock it down on either map they have right now and it require the same type of team work to break through something like that. Which will be exciting to experience.

The weapon dmg bit is something very easily fix. The only weapon that doesnt "feel" right when firing for me is the AK. Lot less recoil. In fact there seems to be very little recoil in any of them, but the sounds seem right.

The comments on here are not surprising considering MoH's 'interesting' development story (hint: it's not unlike Bioshock 2). Such a bummer.

Thin_J wrote:

But then I've long been tired of guns in games looking and sounding powerful but feeling like I might as well be shooting enemies with spitwads.

But these guns don't sound powerful at all, in fact I find the sound design very underwhelming. There is no recoil at all and the firing cone is super tight. The sound effect for calling in the UAV is distorted beyond believe (but that might just be my system).

In MW2 or BC2 it seems like I can always hear if someone is near me. I haven't tried the objective gametype out yet, but the deathmatch is pretty boring.

I'm also experience a bug where chat freezes the keyboard and I haven't been able to crouch since I remapped the command to "c".

The progression system is much more like a MMO than a shooter. Higher level players have a distinct advantage with loadouts. I unlocked the HP ammo for the marksman class and it wasn't even fair. The firefights that last less than 2 seconds now only last one. The game told me that the ammo had less range but I didn't seem to notice.

I sent friend requests to Kerplunk, and it looked like Ranalin and Gunner had excepted my requests, so hopefully they've fixed the awful friending system from BC2.

i38warhawk wrote:

The progression system is much more like a MMO than a shooter.

Not really, unless you think MW2 and BC2 are as well. Its the same system... after x points you get x goody

ranalin wrote:

Not really, unless you think MW2 and BC2 are as well. Its the same system... after x points you get x goody

But these rewards don't seem to have a downside? There are trade offs in MW2 and it's dynamic and highly personal. BC2 has some rewards that are obviously better but the weapon diversity allows for more customized loadouts. At least in the first few levels of marksmen, every unlock gives the player an advantage over lower levels.

i38warhawk wrote:
ranalin wrote:

Not really, unless you think MW2 and BC2 are as well. Its the same system... after x points you get x goody

But these rewards don't seem to have a downside? There are trade offs in MW2 and it's dynamic and highly personal. BC2 has some rewards that are obviously better but the weapon diversity allows for more customized loadouts. At least in the first few levels of marksmen, every unlock gives the player an advantage over lower levels.

I dont see it as an advantage. With it basically being hardcore all it takes is 2 bursts tops from any weapon and your dead. The sites are probably the biggest bonus, but not required, and you find that in all the shooters. The HP rounds didnt seem to do a thing except for maybe the m4 and its counterpart.

Also thing to remember is this is beta and an early one at that.

So am I to assume that everyone playing this beta already has BC2? I followed i38Warhawk's link to the C&C4 beta key thing, and it did allow me to sign up for the MOH beta, download and install it, but when I try to log on I keep getting an error stating that only BC2 players with VIP codes have access to the multiplayer beta. That would sort of make sense since I don't have BC2, except EA already gave me a code stating that it was specifically for Medal of Honor... Maybe they caught on to the C&C4 trick and curbed that workaround.

Anyone else have this issue?

To play from the 17th you need BC2 vip status and a MOH code, from the 21st it opens to anyone with a MOH code (preorders), and later on it'll go public. There's already sites saying they've got a ton of keys to send out.

Ah, okay. I was under the assumption that if you had BC2 you were given the MOH code, and the C&C4 trick was a workaround to get the code without BC2.

Guess I'll be checking this one out tomorrow, since it's already installed and waiting

Made a channel in vent for people to gather while they play.

So I played a bit more last night, tried out the objective mode and it seemed alright. More action and movement than the deathmatch. I checked my friends list and it was empty. Even people that had excepted (ranalin and gunner) had vanished. Resend some invites.

The class is was talking about was rifleman (not marksmen), and I still think the game progression is strange. It doesn't really matter though because in a couple of weeks after release we'll all be maxed out anyway.

The game feels like an early beta, but they really don't have too much time to work on it. It's almost July, that gives them basically three months to work. The game is released on October 12. Which means it will have to be gold by mid-September, not a lot of time to work on some serious issues.

Apparently, on the PS3, the game crashes each time the player gets a three kill steak. How the hell was something like that overlooked? Did the testers never get even a three kill streak?

DICE is unquestionably a top tier development studio, and I really enjoy their games. But if they want to play with the big boys (Bungie, old IW now Respawn) we need to start holding them to a higher standard. They get lot of goodwill and people always remember the game experiences fondly, but they also remember the bugs.

Bungie recently wrapped up their beta for Reach, and the time frame to release is about the same. It was clear to me while playing Reach that the gameplay had already been tested day and night by a group of people that loved Halo. I just don't get the same feeling from MoH.