Dragon Age Catch-All

I grew up getting my ass kicked by (cheap sub boss) Kintaro in Mortal Kombat 2. As a petit addict, I actually developed my pre-teen profanity speak a lot in those days, until I finally managed to get Kintaro... and get my ass handed to me again by Shao Khan. Eventually I graduated my "Poo Poo Mouth" skills.

I'm no stranger to infuriating gameplay, and there's no greater rush than to finally overcome a cheap section.

The only thing I demand is the hard section to be quick-to-result (either failure or success), much like a MK2 match.

As for the justification of such parts in DA, it's pretty acceptable. It will always be a pain to balance when you can have the most diverse party compositions.

oMonarca wrote:

:)

I grew up getting my ass kicked by (cheap sub boss) Kintaro in Mortal Kombat 2. As a petit addict, I actually developed my pre-teen profanity speak a lot in those days, until I finally managed to get Kintaro... and get my ass handed to me again by Shao Khan. Eventually I graduated my "Poo Poo Mouth" skills.

I'm no stranger to infuriating gameplay, and there's no greater rush than to finally overcome a cheap section.

The only thing I demand is the hard section to be quick-to-result (either failure or success), much like a MK2 match.

As for the justification of such parts in DA, it's pretty acceptable. It will always be a pain to balance when you can have the most diverse party compositions.

Yep. Challenge turns into frustration when "having to do it over again" involves too much time. Oh, you died at the boss, we'll send you to a checkpoint 20 minutes back = AAAAARRRRGGH!

Shoal07 wrote:

Yep. Challenge turns into frustration when "having to do it over again" involves too much time. Oh, you died at the boss, we'll send you to a checkpoint 20 minutes back = AAAAARRRRGGH!

And let's not forget that Bioware is more than capable of such asinine design. Just think Mass Effect and freeing Liara.

True. If I replay a 20 min section, especially a fairly linear one, because I forgot to save, or was just distracted, I'll feel really bummed.

Yet, I can spend up to an hour going try-this-lose-reload-try-that-lose-reload until I finally clear the section and feel totally awesome!

Weird.

beeporama wrote:
Latrine wrote:

I have to disagree about DA:Journeys. I find it to be a fairly poorly designed tactical RPG, I'm only really playing it for the unlockable Dragon Age items.

Oh crap, what kind of unlockable items? Is my OCD going to compel me to play this now?

Probably.

Here are the unlockables:

Embri's Many Pockets

Embri of Gwaren, an elven mage of limited talent who volunteered to become one of the Tranquil, proved herself a talented enchanter--if absent-minded. She kept an array of magical ingredients on her belt at all times, and eventually the belt itself became magical. Embri died of lyrium poisoning many years later, but the enchanted belt remains.
Effects

* +5% Fire Resistance
* +5% Cold Resistance
* +5% Electricity Resistance
* +5% Nature Resistance
* +5% Spirit Resistance

Requirements

To earn Embri's Many Pockets in Dragon Age: Origins, save the Grey Warden Martine by completing The Missing Warden quest.

Amulet Of the War Mage

This amulet was forged during the height of the ancient Tevinter Imperium's power, a time when entire armies would flee upon seeing a Tevinter magister stride into battle. While the name Cavellus remains engraved on its back, any memory of the magister who created it has been lost to the mists of time.
Effects

* +5% to Fire Damage
* +5 % to Cold Damage
* +5% to Electrical Damage
* +5% to Nature Damage
* +5% to Spirit Damage

Requirements

To earn the Amulet of the War Mage in Dragon Age: Origins, you must complete all three parts of the Dragon Age Journeys feedback survey. You can access the survey by completing quests.

Helm of the Deep

There is a legend amongst the dwarves of the Legion of the Dead that, three centuries ago, a commander of the Legion came across the body of a legionnaire wearing a helmet inscribed with lyrium. He took it, and died nobly... and then his body was found years later by another commander--and so forth, for generations. The helmet is said to be a sign of an honorable death for the lucky dwarf who stumbles across it.
Effects

* +2 Constitution
* +10 Mental Resistance
* +10 Physical Resistance

Requirements

To earn the Helm of the Deep in Dragon Age: Origins, you must earn all five achievements in Dragon Age Journies: The Deep Roads.

Achievements wrote:

The Black Gate
Reach the gates of Orzammar.

Darkspawn Warrior
Kill two monsters in a single attack.

Bard's Yarn
Convince the Bard to join your party.

Ogreific Tactics
Defeat an Ogre, with all party members at full health.

Mighty Magic
Complete the game as Warrior, Rogue, and Mage.

The belt and the amulet will be easy, but the helm will take a little more doing. On the other hand, it will give me something to do while I wait for my copy of the game to show up. I'm partway through the runaround quest, and I'm already kind of bored with the combat system. I'm not sure if I'll make it through the game three times for that last achievement.

MoonDragon wrote:
Shoal07 wrote:

Yep. Challenge turns into frustration when "having to do it over again" involves too much time. Oh, you died at the boss, we'll send you to a checkpoint 20 minutes back = AAAAARRRRGGH!

And let's not forget that Bioware is more than capable of such asinine design. Just think Mass Effect and freeing Liara.

Oh man, that part pissed me off and frustrated me so much I put the game down for around ten months before finally returning to it.

Meh, I could see myself playing the flash game, but probably a couple months from now when it's all polished and I'm all bored. I already feel like I'm giving myself a decent cheating start with the pre-order bonus item stuff so that's not an incentive either.

Update time:

This weeks podcast from PC Gamer UK contains some good info on DA. Good, spoiler-free audio content.

John Walker justified his all time high (94%) score for DA.
- The game has great depth, it even has its own full fledged religion...
- The Codex of the game is AWESOME. He said that it was "Codex for Warhammer done properly" There is a LOT of depth, even hidden quest and story hints. But it is completely optional.
- Actual quest texts are short and succinct.
- The game look much better in motion, don't let screenshots fool you!
- And as with all DA discussion, there were healthy amount of discussion on "boob-size."

- He mentioned that it took about 85 hours for him to finish one play through. But then he realized that he will have to play the game 5 more times to get the whole story... (HECK YEAH! :p )
- He also said that die hard BG 1 fans should just avoid DA. Because "to them, no game will ever be good enough... There will always be idiots."

Awesome updates, lethial, thanks.

I'm wondering if we'll have room in our inventory for all of the free in-game items they are throwing our way.

Nevin73 wrote:

Awesome updates, lethial, thanks.

I'm wondering if we'll have room in our inventory for all of the free in-game items they are throwing our way.

Glad to serve!

That actually reminds me of something important, storage.

I actually debated whether or not posting this bit of info, since I am sure this could be fixed later, but people may be upset now, but :

At the release, only Warden's Keep will have permanent storage

Dev post on QT3 wrote:

Standard party camp does not have permanent storage. The quote from Chris was concerning Warden's Keep; that is the danger with single quotes without the context of the whole thread.

Adding storage to Warden's Keep was based on preview/review feedback via DLC was the most straightforward way to add it, since the game itself was locked.

I remember permanent storage being a pain in NWN2.

lethial wrote:
Dev post on QT3 wrote:

Standard party camp does not have permanent storage. The quote from Chris was concerning Warden's Keep; that is the danger with single quotes without the context of the whole thread.

Adding storage to Warden's Keep was based on preview/review feedback via DLC was the most straightforward way to add it, since the game itself was locked.

So they couldn't come up with small "post-lock" free DLC that would add storage? Instead they had to do a massive DLC that costs money. Great.

The difficulty issue makes me really happy that they didn't go with the Oblivion model. I'll take difficulty over that any day.

After watching the giantbomb quick look I think this game is just kotor in a fantasy setting. It seems to play identically except you can't queue up actions so it is actually a step backwards from the level of control you had in kotor. I really hope the story is as interesting as the early reviews/previews have said. Of course I loved kotor and the combat seems so much like it that I will be happy I think.

farley3k wrote:

After watching the giantbomb quick look I think this game is just kotor in a fantasy setting. It seems to play identically except you can't queue up actions so it is actually a step backwards from the level of control you had in kotor. I really hope the story is as interesting as the early reviews/previews have said. Of course I loved kotor and the combat seems so much like it that I will be happy I think.

It's interesting (to me) you'd make that comparison because this past weekend I literally just finished playing KOTOR for the first time (better late than never!) and, having had a few hours of hands on Dragon-Age time already, the notion that DA is a fantasy KOTOR never once entered my mind. There are some similarities, I suppose, but one could just as easily say that KOTOR was a sci-fi Neverwinter Nights if one really wanted to. At some point these are all very good RPGs based on a D&D mode. I guess my impression of DA's gameplay is that's more a refinement and continued evolution of everything Bioware has done so far and I've been pretty happy with that up to this point.

As for the level of control -and I can't speak for the console version- I would be shocked (shocked!) if after playing DA you still thought KOTOR offered superior control (in particular, make sure to check out the tactics options you have for your characters) or that DA's gameplay plays "identical" to KOTOR. Oh what I would've given for a zoomed out tactical view in KOTOR or the ability to mouse-click a spot on the ground and have my character go there!

I think farley may have been talking about a consolized version.

I still can't decide on console over pc. Everyone singing the praises of both really don't help me. I guess its a matter of playing on a 40" or a 17".

Grenn wrote:

I still can't decide on console over pc. Everyone singing the praises of both really don't help me. I guess its a matter of playing on a 40" or a 17".

This game is pretty much a given for the PC.

MoonDragon wrote:

I think farley may have been talking about a consolized version.

Possibly, but the Giant Bomb vid he referenced was for the PC version, so it was hard to tell for sure.

Am I the only one confused by Dragon Age?

I downloaded some trailers from PSN the other day and it only confused me more. The end of the Stone Guardian trailer stated that it was an expansion. Same with some other trailer (tower I think or maybe it was Wardens Keep).

Is there some wiki or FAQ that can explain this stuff to me?

FSeven wrote:

Am I the only one confused by Dragon Age?

I downloaded some trailers from PSN the other day and it only confused me more. The end of the Stone Guardian trailer stated that it was an expansion. Same with some other trailer (tower I think or maybe it was Wardens Keep).

Is there some wiki or FAQ that can explain this stuff to me?

The Warden's Keep is DLC. Dragon Age: Origins is a full game.

FSeven wrote:

Am I the only one confused by Dragon Age?

I downloaded some trailers from PSN the other day and it only confused me more. The end of the Stone Guardian trailer stated that it was an expansion. Same with some other trailer (tower I think or maybe it was Wardens Keep).

Is there some wiki or FAQ that can explain this stuff to me?

Seconded. While I've preordered the Steam version because I'm a sucker for this type of game (Baldur's Gate, Icewind, Planscape, yadda yadda), every time I watch one of the trailers I feel like I'm looking at a trailer for a sequel, rather than an original game. I thought I had just missed some major pop-culture milestone somewhere--I don't get out much!

I just bought the CE version off steam. I am sure I can skip a few meals somewhere...

I'll sell my 360 if you promise to never post that video again, haiku.

FSeven wrote:

Am I the only one confused by Dragon Age?

I downloaded some trailers from PSN the other day and it only confused me more. The end of the Stone Guardian trailer stated that it was an expansion. Same with some other trailer (tower I think or maybe it was Wardens Keep).

Is there some wiki or FAQ that can explain this stuff to me?

I think I'm right in saying...

- Stone Guardian is "in the box" DLC for initial runs of the game but will be available for purchase later when they stop the promotion (a measure against trade-ins for the console version most likely).

- Wardens Keep is a DLC module free with the digital collectors versions to make up for not having any physical gubbins. For everyone else it can be bought separately.

Jeebus. Doesn't that seem...I dunno...kinda sh*tty? Having pay-for DLC available at the time of release of the actual game?

It's upsetting to me that lethial went the extra mile for people who don't want to read through the thread and continues to update the original post with all relevant information, and people can't even be bothered to read that either.

Would it make you feel better if I told you that despite reading lethial's robust original post, I was still confused as it's evident others were too?

Better to be pissed off than pissed on I guess.

FSeven wrote:

Jeebus. Doesn't that seem...I dunno...kinda sh*tty? Having pay-for DLC available at the time of release of the actual game?

Addressed by staff:

DavidSims, Technical Designer wrote:

The process of shipping a game is a gradual series of hardening and locking down... Everything needs to be locked down so that performance testing and optimization and eventually disc layout and certification can be done...

You need to stop changing things at some point so everything that depends on them can be done. DLC is a separate product, so it doesn’t have to be tested and verified as part of the final build, it doesn’t have to be accounted for in the disc layout, and it doesn’t have to be in the game when it goes through official certification. It has its own schedule and its own verification process. And let’s not forget its own budget, because ultimately games are a business and manpower is limited by money.

To make the console ports possible, the content of Dragon Age was locked down in the spring. It wasn’t possible to add new content past that point, and the VO lockdown was much earlier than that. The game was still tested and improved with bug fixes, stability and performance improvements etc, but adding whole new adventure like Wardens Keep? That would have pushed the release date back.

I guess you could argue "well why not make it free then?" I guess they could have. I guess they could have also not made the DLC at all, or they could have made the DLC and then sat on it for a few months and released it when they figured people were just getting finished and considering trading the game in. As long as the DLC isn't "vital" in some way (required to get past brutally difficult sections, adds major plot points added to the main story, spawns more nekkid dryads) it doesn't bother me but YMMV.

No preload for this game via Steam or D2D? Really? I was thinking about cancelling my amazon preorder for the digital copy, but now I'm not so sure.