MLB 2009 Playoffs Catch-All

Rat Boy wrote:

Anywho, reigning Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum busted for possession of pot. Does that count as a performance enhancing drug?

I knew it! It was the hair that gave him away.

Face value = the price printed on the ticket.

Has anyone answered the question yet as to what is stopping any other baseball team from forming their own cable channel a la Yankees, Sox, and Blue Jays?

FSeven wrote:

Has anyone answered the question yet as to what is stopping any other baseball team from forming their own cable channel a la Yankees, Sox, and Blue Jays?

Not the issue. Even if they started one, it would still fail to generate the same revenue as a channel serving the New York market.

FSeven wrote:

Face value = the price printed on the ticket.

Has anyone answered the question yet as to what is stopping any other baseball team from forming their own cable channel a la Yankees, Sox, and Blue Jays?

Well you are wrong then.. I just asked one of my guys in NYC and he said the printed value of those seats between $500 and $2000.

Not sure where you got your ridiculous number from... so again no excuse for those seats to be empty in world series game.

TheGameguru wrote:
FSeven wrote:

Face value = the price printed on the ticket.

Has anyone answered the question yet as to what is stopping any other baseball team from forming their own cable channel a la Yankees, Sox, and Blue Jays?

Well you are wrong then.. I just asked one of my guys in NYC and he said the printed value of those seats between $500 and $2000.

Not sure where you got your ridiculous number from... so again no excuse for those seats to be empty in world series game.

Dude I'm sorry, but your reading comprehension is the pits.

The price printed on the tickets is $500 - $2000. Your friend is correct in that. I had said $500 - $1500 so my bad.

But you have to be incredibly naive to think that's what they were being sold for. Bleacher seats which have a printed ticket price of under $75.00 were going for upwards of $350.00. Those tickets your friend and I were referring to were selling for thousands of dollars. And if you wanted to sit near Kate Hudson, Jay-Z, those tickets were available for between $25,000 and $50,000 dollars. Tickets behind homeplate (those $500 - $2000 tickets) were going for 5 figures.

But you're obviously not going to take my word for it.

So I'm going to stick with my original premise that suggesting that Yankee fans don't deserve the championship because they are unwilling to spend upwards of $10,000 per ticket for behind home plate seats, is, well, pretty frikkin' dumb.

Jayhawker wrote:
FSeven wrote:

Has anyone answered the question yet as to what is stopping any other baseball team from forming their own cable channel a la Yankees, Sox, and Blue Jays?

Not the issue. Even if they started one, it would still fail to generate the same revenue as a channel serving the New York market.

Dude I'm sorry, but your reading comprehension is the pits.

orly?

But you have to be incredibly naive to think that's what they were being sold for.

This is where you fail. Someone HAS the ticket.. that person chose to NOT go to the game.... they chose to SELL the ticket.. which no one bought.. A FAN would go to the stinking game to see his team WIN the world series. Not sit home and say oh well my ticket didnt sell for $25K.

So I'm going to stick with my original premise that suggesting that Yankee fans don't deserve the championship because they are unwilling to spend upwards of $10,000 per ticket for behind home plate seats, is, well, pretty frikkin' dumb.

The seats were empty dude.. just face facts whatever your ridiculous attempts to justify are it looks retarded... I mean its not Marlins bad.. but this is the Yankees.. if you can't fill your stadium for Game 6 of a World Series you have some fan base issues...

Same thing happened in Pittsburgh during their runs.. EMPTY seats... not a really strong fan base.

FSeven wrote:

Face value = the price printed on the ticket.

Has anyone answered the question yet as to what is stopping any other baseball team from forming their own cable channel a la Yankees, Sox, and Blue Jays?

TBS has worked pretty well for Atlanta too i think. Well for, Atlanta's owner anyway

Joe Posnanski pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Yankee dominance we have seen over the last 15 years or so.

Oh, and he begins with a warning:

The following is a screed about the Yankees' payroll. If you are a Yankees fan uninterested in a screed about the payroll, don't read it. You won't enjoy it. Go out, buy a championship T-shirt, reminisce about this great team, enjoy the victory. I'm telling you: Don't read it.
The second thing is that, at the end of the year, the best teams are thrown together in a succession of short series that are fun to watch but are not designed to pick the best teams. Quite the opposite: A short series in baseball is designed to shelter weaknesses and expose strengths. Yuni Betancourt can out-hit A-Rod in a five-game series. Livan Hernandez can out-pitch Tim Lincecum in a one-game match-up. Baseball doesn't hide this -- they slam it down your throat. October baseball! Anything's possible! And so on.

And in that way the expanded playoffs have been genius for baseball -- not only because they are milking television for every dime, but because the short series have been baseball's one defense against the ludicrous unfairness of the New York Yankees. Hey, if the game is rigged, rig the game. The Yankees spend a lot more money than any other team. As a direct result, they had the best record in the American League in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2009. They made the playoffs every single year but one this decade (and going back to 1995). They are the best team with the best players every year -- that sort of big money virtually guarantees it.

Jayhawker wrote:

Joe Posnanski pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Yankee dominance we have seen over the last 15 years or so.

Oh, and he begins with a warning:

The following is a screed about the Yankees' payroll. If you are a Yankees fan uninterested in a screed about the payroll, don't read it. You won't enjoy it. Go out, buy a championship T-shirt, reminisce about this great team, enjoy the victory. I'm telling you: Don't read it.

How many of these have I read and not felt any emotion one way or the other. Oh heck, why not one more time! Just like the "New Jersey Devils neutral zone trap killed hockey, and here's why" articles.

TheGameguru wrote:

The seats were empty dude.. just face facts whatever your ridiculous attempts to justify are it looks retarded... I mean its not Marlins bad.. but this is the Yankees.. if you can't fill your stadium for Game 6 of a World Series you have some fan base issues...

The only issue you have is fans who can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for a ticket.

Sounds like the rest of baseball to me.

FSeven wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

The seats were empty dude.. just face facts whatever your ridiculous attempts to justify are it looks retarded... I mean its not Marlins bad.. but this is the Yankees.. if you can't fill your stadium for Game 6 of a World Series you have some fan base issues...

The only issue you have is fans who can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for a ticket.

Sounds like the rest of baseball to me. ;)

Or the slimy and incompetent fans that held onto the tickets instead of going to the game, or selling them for a realistic price.

Jayhawker wrote:
FSeven wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

The seats were empty dude.. just face facts whatever your ridiculous attempts to justify are it looks retarded... I mean its not Marlins bad.. but this is the Yankees.. if you can't fill your stadium for Game 6 of a World Series you have some fan base issues...

The only issue you have is fans who can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for a ticket.

Sounds like the rest of baseball to me. ;)

Or the slimy and incompetent fans that held onto the tickets instead of going to the game, or selling them for a realistic price.

If you were wealthy and could afford $1,500 tickets, and had one for the possible clinching game in game 6 in the World Series, would you sell them at face value? Or would you ask for more? I don't think I need to know much about you to say you'd be lying if you said you would sell them for face value. ANYONE who owned those tickets and couldn't go would be trying to sell them for more. The actual owners' only mistake was asking way too much.

The whole concept of trying to sell something for more than you paid for it is as American as apple pie. I just don't see any legitimacy in your argument Jay. You just sound like a typical Yankee hater that will take any opportunity to hate on Yankee fans. Sour grapes man, sour grapes.

Jayhawker wrote:

Posnanski

Posnanski said:

IMAGE(http://fseven.net/images/forumpics/boohoo.jpg)

Here's a good article from Business of Baseball which examines MLB team payrolls from 1977 - 2003. 1977 being the earliest year on record.

I like the summation:

During the past 27 years, Major league Baseball has changed a great deal. Teams have been added, historic records have been broken, and there have been bitter labor stoppages...No matter how good or bad they maybe, the New York Yankees will have a high payroll that is substantially above the league average. If it wasn’t ruinous for baseball in 1977, there is no reason to believe that it will be ruinous for baseball in 2004 and beyond. While having a large bankroll is nice to have, it is no guarantee of success on the field.

And it's not ruinous. It hasn't BEEN ruinous. It wasn't ruinous in 1998 when the Orioles had the highest payroll. It wasn't ruinous from 1989-1991 when the A's were among the top in payroll (#1 in 91) and made it to the WS 3 times and only won once. It wasn't ruinous in 1990 when the Royals had the highest payroll and failed to make it to the WS. And it most certainly wasn't ruinous in 1992 and 1993 when the Blue Jays had the highest payroll and won the World Series both years.

So if Posnanski criticizes the Yankees, he needs to criticize the Blue Jays. And the Athletics. And the Orioles. Or the Red Sox who from 86-93 spent over 10 million more on payroll than the Yankees. Basically, if you look at the entire history of baseball, Posnanski has to criticize every team at some point if he has any interest in being consistent. Because despite the incessant crying about payroll, the past 8 years have not seen the Yankees win. They haven't won the division every year, they haven't made the playoffs every year, and they most certainly haven't won the world series every year. And again, when you look at the history of baseball, if you look at other teams, like those 1986-1993 Red Sox who spent the most on payroll for that period and didn't win dick, you realize that Posnanski's epiphany that in baseball payroll means nothing and doesn't guarantee wins, you realize that is basically the footnote of the entire history of baseball and renders any whining about Yankees payroll as just that: whining. It holds zero water. Those pertinent facts negate Posnanski's entire argument and make his article nothing more than a 2 page temper tantrum written to get page hits. Because as Posnanski said in a 2008 article of his:

Dumb sh*t wrote:

...you HAVE to hate the Yankees, it's a law.

Insert any other team for Yankees in that quote and that's what Posnanski's article would be about. And this guy is a journalist? 5 minutes on Google and I rendered his entire argument null and void.

FSeven wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:
FSeven wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

The seats were empty dude.. just face facts whatever your ridiculous attempts to justify are it looks retarded... I mean its not Marlins bad.. but this is the Yankees.. if you can't fill your stadium for Game 6 of a World Series you have some fan base issues...

The only issue you have is fans who can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for a ticket.

Sounds like the rest of baseball to me. ;)

Or the slimy and incompetent fans that held onto the tickets instead of going to the game, or selling them for a realistic price.

If you were wealthy and could afford $1,500 tickets, and had one for the possible clinching game in game 6 in the World Series, would you sell them at face value? Or would you ask for more? I don't think I need to know much about you to say you'd be lying if you said you would sell them for face value. ANYONE who owned those tickets and couldn't go would be trying to sell them for more. The actual owners' only mistake was asking way too much.

The whole concept of trying to sell something for more than you paid for it is as American as apple pie. I just don't see any legitimacy in your argument Jay. You just sound like a typical Yankee hater that will take any opportunity to hate on Yankee fans. Sour grapes man, sour grapes.

I didn't say face value, I said realistic. And if you had WS tickets behind home plate, and you couldn't find a buyer becasue you asked too much, you are incompetent.

FSeven wrote:
Dumb sh*t wrote:

...you HAVE to hate the Yankees, it's a law.

Insert any other team for Yankees in that quote and that's what Posnanski's article would be about. And this guy is a journalist? 5 minutes on Google and I rendered his entire argument null and void.

If you read the article, you would realize just how wrong you were.

Go back and compare the disparity of between what the Yankees pay vs. the rest of the league during the last 10 years to the disparity of the Orioles and A's.

But the Yankees are a whole different argument. They are their own argument. The Yankees are not a big-market team. They DWARF big-market teams. They are quantitatively different from every other team in baseball and every other team in American sports. They don't just spend more money than every other team. They spend A LOT more money than every other team. The Boston Red Sox spend $50 million more than the Kansas City Royals? Who cares? The Yankees spend $80 million more than the Boston Red Sox.

The Yankees have a pat hand.

This is the way baseball is structured, and we have reached a point where people simply don't want to hear any griping about it. Don't like it? Don't watch. Some people have stopped watching, I suppose. But many of us keep on because we love baseball and there's enough randomness in the game itself and enough volatility in the playoffs to distract us from the lunacy of having the game so ridiculously tilted toward one team.

The trouble is that, inevitably, that one team will make good choices. They will put together a team of All-Stars. They will sign a dominant left-handed starter and a slugging switch-hitting Gold Glove first baseman and a right-handed starter who throws curveballs that bend like wiffle balls. That team will be a remarkable collection of stars, and they will play often beautiful baseball, and they will win more games than any other team during the season. That team will roll through the playoffs without facing an elimination game or anything resembling real drama -- though there will be constant efforts to make it SEEM like there's drama.

And then: That team that spent $50 million more than any other team, that team with three sure Hall of Famers and as many as four others, that team that bought Milwaukee's best pitcher and Anaheim's best hitter and Toronto's No. 2 starter and Boston's favorite Idiot and the most expensive player in the history of baseball and so on, that team will win the World Series, and spray champagne on each other, and they will tell you that they won because they came together as a group and kept pulling themselves off the ground and didn't listen to the doubters.

And then, if you are a not a Yankees fan, you will want to throw up. If you are not a Yankees fan, you are left hoping that next year the randomness of a short playoff series will get the Yankees and allow some other team to win so we can celebrate the hope of Opening Day. And that's baseball.

Yeah but in the past 10 years the Yankees have only won 2 championships.

Same as the Blue Jays did in 92 and 93. But no one pissed their pants over the Jays.

He's a drama queen.

Jayhawker wrote:

If you are not a Yankees fan, you are left hoping that next year the randomness of a short playoff series will get the Yankees and allow some other team to win so we can celebrate the hope of Opening Day.

If the Yankees won 8 out of the last 10 years I'd say yeah, non-Yankees need to employ hope.

But 2 out of 10? The Yankees won 2 out of the last 10 years (1 out of the last 9) and this guy is saying everyone else needs to hope that the Yankees give another team a chance to win?

Exaggerate much?

The only thing that article makes clear is that Posnaski really needs to get laid. It's clouded his judgement.

The second thing is that, at the end of the year, the best teams are thrown together in a succession of short series that are fun to watch but are not designed to pick the best teams. Quite the opposite: A short series in baseball is designed to shelter weaknesses and expose strengths. Yuni Betancourt can out-hit A-Rod in a five-game series. Livan Hernandez can out-pitch Tim Lincecum in a one-game match-up. Baseball doesn't hide this -- they slam it down your throat. October baseball! Anything's possible! And so on.

And in that way the expanded playoffs have been genius for baseball -- not only because they are milking television for every dime, but because the short series have been baseball's one defense against the ludicrous unfairness of the New York Yankees. Hey, if the game is rigged, rig the game. The Yankees spend a lot more money than any other team. As a direct result, they had the best record in the American League in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2009. They made the playoffs every single year but one this decade (and going back to 1995). They are the best team with the best players every year -- that sort of big money virtually guarantees it.

FSeven wrote:

Yeah but in the past 10 years the Yankees have only won 2 championships.

Wow, that must have been rough.

Saying that as though that wasn't a dominant decade pretty clearly illustrates the disconnect.

Trophy Husband wrote:
FSeven wrote:

Yeah but in the past 10 years the Yankees have only won 2 championships.

Wow, that must have been rough.

Saying that as though that wasn't a dominant decade pretty clearly illustrates the disconnect.

I think it shows how poorly the Yankees are actually run.. with the kind of money they can spend its inexcusable to have only won as few championships as they did over the last 15 years.

Getting beat by the Marlins in the World Series was ridiculous.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I do agree that from a baseball standpoint the Yankees are not run all that well. Nor do I think Cashman deserves as much credit as most people think he does. He has an infinite amount of money and resources but until just now couldn't win.

He gets credit for convincing the people who have the money to buy certain players, and he took lots of grief for not making moves that caused the so-called 9-Year Drought from 2001 to 2009. The Yankees do have an added benefit of mistakes not affecting them where as the Royals or Pirates (who are run terribly) do not. Mistakes devastate a majority of franchises for salaries, and until they get rid of Selig with somebody who actually takes the salary issue seriously- which the player's union will not accept- well, the same thing will keep happening. It just so happens that I've been rooting for a team for over 25 years that is on the top of that salary situation.

Free agency starts tonight, kicking off a really interesting offseason. Just to get things started, Jason Bay rejected a 4 year / $60M offer from the Red Sox.

Tim Lincecum wins the NL Cy Young...again!

Rat Boy wrote:

Tim Lincecum wins the NL Cy Young...again!

Weed will become next steroid.

Novocain wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

Tim Lincecum wins the NL Cy Young...again!

Weed will become next steroid.

hmmm, might work for closers.

How nervous can you get when all you really care about is the brownies on the training table?

Braves sign Wagner to be their closer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...

Red Sox pick up Braves first round pick (20th) and a comp pick (around 40)

Just a beautiful move by Theo. He preyed on the Mets (read:Wilpons) financial situation, took Wagner's $2M salary off of their hands, and gave them back a junk minor leaguer.

Two months later he's able to turn a short term rental into two high draft picks. Unreal.

Should we be making an offseason thread?