I've been having a strange issue. I posted another thread about something that may have been related, thought it was solved, but was wrong.
I'm running Vista64 and a Radeon 4870.
When I say 'crash' in the following, I mean hard lock, requiring reboot to recover.
Launching a game right now falls into one of three categories:
1) Runs fine
- Guild Wars, Sims3, MS Flight Sim X
2) Crashed at start up, but I can workaround
- Killing Floor: First time I launched it it crashed; I ran in -window mode, no issue, set to run full screen from within game, now no issue
- L4D: Cannot launch in full screen; set -window mode, can switch to full screen in-game, but have to launch in -window or it crashes
- Bioshock: Crashed first time, set resolution in config file, works fine now
3) Crashes no matter what
- Fear2 demo: I cannot get it to launch without crashing
- Batman: Ditto
I downloaded several tools to try and debug, including FurMark. Interestingly, FurMark runs fine in window mode, but if I set it to full screen I get the same crash.
I tried updates to DX, video card drivers, and windows drivers are all up to date.
I'm looking for ideas, other then wait a month for my Win7 copy and see if the upgrade fixes it. Any thoughts?