NFL 2008-2009 Off-Season Post-Draft Catch-All

LeapingGnome wrote:

IMAGE(http://www.shabooty.com/uploaded_images/MerrimanBeforeAfter-791228.jpg)

Looks like someone drained Bane of his Venom.

Hmm. Rather than take $3 million to play guard in Jacksonville, Tony Pashos opted to sign with San Francisco for less than $2 million to play tackle.

Well it's a good move for San Francisco, because even though Pashos' play at tackle was down in 2008, he's a huge improvement at right tackle over Adam Snyder (and the now-retired Marvel Smith).

Should I be upset that KC did not pony up $3 mill to take a flyer on Pashos?

Jayhawker wrote:

Should I be upset that KC did not pony up $3 mill to take a flyer on Pashos?

Yes. But KC probably didn't have a chance. In San Francisco, Pashos is reunited with his old offensive line coach from Baltimore. He apparently wants to get coached up and have a good season and hit the free agent market again in '10.

The Chiefs have addressed the position by winning the waiver claim for Ryan O'Callaghan. He's a big road grader like Pashos, though not as accomplished (he's only started 7 NFL games). He was cut by New England this year after he missed all of last season with a shoulder injury.

Apparently he's had a solid camp, but he was beat out by the team's 2nd round draft pick. The situation at RT in KC, though, is such that O'Callaghan probably has a good chance of starting.

Hey Legion, here's one for you,

So i'm obviously terrified about this coming season as the Giants are missing their #1 WR (Doubtful: Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound/Incarceration), and our best WR is Steve Smith (although I am quietly hoping that Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden will turn out to be solid). I'm expecting a season of 9 in the box as Tom Coughlin nearly kills Brandon Jacobs, but the potential offensive struggles got me thinking.

Assuming that a quarterback is only as good as his WR corps, and WRs are only as good as the guy throwing them the ball, which is more important? Or is it an equally balanced two-way street?

Also, Kevin Phillips is going to have a coming-out party this year. Agree/Disagree?

Prederick wrote:

Assuming that a quarterback is only as good as his WR corps, and WRs are only as good as the guy throwing them the ball, which is more important? Or is it an equally balanced two-way street

It's not even close. The QB is far more important. Wide receivers are wholly dependent on QB performance.

Consider: Randy Moss in Oakland -> Randy Moss in New England.

Also, consider:

IMAGE(http://renaeb23.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/montana.jpg)

I just think about him marching down the field in that classic shootout vs. Elway. Elway had Shannon Sharpe, Montana had J.J. Birden.

Also, Kevin Phillips is going to have a coming-out party this year. Agree/Disagree?

You mean Kenny, right? Coughlin sure seems to like him.

1st round safeties haven't had the best track record lately. Brandon Meriweather has been a slow starter. Reggie Nelson had a fabulous rookie year and then faded in year 2. Donte Whitner is supposedly, finally, going to be a starting, every-down free safety this year, after bouncing around between free safety, strong safety, and nickel corner. LaRon Landry has been a steady starter, but he hasn't really risen above the level of "just a guy". Michael Griffin's reputation exceeds his level of play (like a lot of aggressive defenders, he gets big kudos for big plays, but his blown coverages don't get the highlight reel treatment), but his compass arrow is pointing in the right direction.

Looks like Richard Seymour doesn't like Oakland.

*Legion* wrote:

1st round safeties haven't had the best track record lately. Brandon Meriweather has been a slow starter. Reggie Nelson had a fabulous rookie year and then faded in year 2. Donte Whitner is supposedly, finally, going to be a starting, every-down free safety this year, after bouncing around between free safety, strong safety, and nickel corner. LaRon Landry has been a steady starter, but he hasn't really risen above the level of "just a guy". Michael Griffin's reputation exceeds his level of play (like a lot of aggressive defenders, he gets big kudos for big plays, but his blown coverages don't get the highlight reel treatment), but his compass arrow is pointing in the right direction.

Don't forget Roy Williams who falls in that "reputation exceeds level of play" category.

kaostheory wrote:

Don't forget Roy Williams who falls in that "reputation exceeds level of play" category.

I don't even count Roy Williams as a safety. I think you have to successfully defend at least one pass to be called a safety. Roy Williams' true position is CL - Coverage Liability.

He's the poster child for aggressive players who blow all sorts of plays, but makes a couple of highlight hits that get on TV.

Prederick wrote:

So i'm obviously terrified about this coming season as the Giants are missing their #1 WR (Doubtful: Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound/Incarceration), and our best WR is Steve Smith (although I am quietly hoping that Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden will turn out to be solid). I'm expecting a season of 9 in the box as Tom Coughlin nearly kills Brandon Jacobs, but the potential offensive struggles got me thinking.

I'm going to respond to this post a little more.

Let's look at what we've got on the NY Giants roster:

Domenik Hixon (4th year)
Derek Hagan (4th year)
Sinorice Moss (4th year)
Steve Smith (3rd year)
Mario Manningham (2nd year)
Hakeem Nicks (R)
Ramses Barden (R)

Hixon and Smith are the starters. Moss is supposedly on the trade block, and I believe it, because teams usually carry 5-6 WRs on their 53-man roster, not 7.

Plaxico Burress only contributed 35 catches and 454 yards last season, so I don't see the Giants as being in any different a situation than they were last year, save for having two more rookies to throw into the mix. Amani Toomer's production should be replaceable by Nicks.

Manningham and Moss are fighting for that undersized slot WR role. The team will deal Moss if Manningham can prove he can play the role.

Derek Hagan made the roster in large part for his special teams play.

Barden is a project who probably won't see the field much in 2009. He was a camp star but he'll likely need a lot more work at the NFL level before he contributes.

Richard Seymour has still not reported to Oakland.

Oakland is amazing in their stupidity. Truly unmatched.

Most trades like this happen as such: a veteran player nearing the end of his contract is offered up in trade. The team that wants the player negotiates a trade agreement, which is contingent on signing the player to a new deal. The team offering up the veteran player gives the other team permission to negotiate the new deal with the player and his agent. They negotiate and come to an agreement of terms. THEN and only then, all at once, BAM, the trade occurs, and the new deal is signed. If the team pursuing the player is unable to come to an agreement on a new deal with the player, they walk away, and nothing happens. No trade was ever made.

Oakland, instead, throws a 1st round pick at New England, and figures they'll just sort out the contract stuff AFTER the trade. The player is blindsided, and he's not happy.

And so now Oakland finds themselves in a potential dispute with New England. Oakland insists they get their 1st round pick back if Seymour doesn't report. New England says as far as they're concerned, Seymour is Raider property now, and the pick is theirs.

Even if Seymour reports, what if he says, "screw this, I'll play one year in Oakland and get the hell out"? He's a free agent next year. Oakland would be forced to franchise tag him if they wanted to keep him. They've got themselves set up for a nice little quagmire.

I'm so glad I'm not an Oakland fan. I wouldn't be able to just put on spiked shoulder pads and face paint and ignore this stupid crap.

*Legion* wrote:

I'm so glad I'm not an Oakland fan. I wouldn't be able to just put on spiked shoulder pads and face paint and ignore this stupid crap.

I'm not sure what keeps fans coming back. The best I can tell it's the classic silver and black and mean looking pirate. Other thwan that, the raiders are the biggest joke of a franchise in professional sports. It's a level of incompetence that is truly a marvel.

Then you stick Al Davis in a white jumpsuit, and it becomes a laugh riot.

My cousin, for some reason, is a Raiders fan. Of course, me being a Broncos fan makes for some very interesting family reunions.

Rat Boy wrote:

Unless the games count, it's still the off-season for me.

Can we get a new thread now?

Grumpicus wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

Unless the games count, it's still the off-season for me.

Can we get a new thread now? :P

Just a few more hours.