NFL 2008-2009 Off-Season Post-Draft Catch-All

Rat Boy wrote:

Edit: You stay classy, Washington Redskins.

IMAGE(http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/11/2009/09/500x_skinsfan.jpg)

article wrote:

This is Pat Hill.

No, this is Pat Hill.

IMAGE(http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/08/pat_hill.jpg)

Was he the head football coach when they beat UCLA at that bowl game in San Jose a few years ago?

Rat Boy wrote:

Was he the head football coach when they beat UCLA at that bowl game in San Jose a few years ago?

Yes. The 2003 Silicon Valley Football Classic.

Hill's been coaching Fresno State since 1997.

The Silicon Valley bowl game existed for 5 years, and Fresno played in 4 of them, winning 2.

*Legion* wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

Was he the head football coach when they beat UCLA at that bowl game in San Jose a few years ago?

Yes. The 2003 Silicon Valley Football Classic.

Hill's been coaching Fresno State since 1997.

The Silicon Valley bowl game existed for 5 years, and Fresno played in 4 of them, winning 2.

My sister (a UCLA grad) got my dad and me tickets in '03. Unfortunately, it was the row immediately behind the Bruins tuba section and we left before we were rendered deaf.

Rat Boy wrote:

My sister (a UCLA grad) got my dad and me tickets in '03. Unfortunately, it was the row immediately behind the Bruins tuba section and we left before we were rendered deaf.

I loved that game. UCLA talked SO much sh*t. Nevermind that they were barely bowl-eligible, dammit, UCLA's superior to Fresno.

*Legion* wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

My sister (a UCLA grad) got my dad and me tickets in '03. Unfortunately, it was the row immediately behind the Bruins tuba section and we left before we were rendered deaf.

I loved that game. UCLA talked SO much sh*t. Nevermind that they were barely bowl-eligible, dammit, UCLA's superior to Fresno.

What's that? My ears are still ringing. That and I can't forget my dad getting lost on the freeway trying to go home even though I was born there.

Meh, what do I care? Sonoma State dropped its football program because of Title IX and the only pro we have to show for it is Larry Allen. But, you can't argue with a 2-1 female-to-male student ratio.

Rat Boy wrote:

But, you can't argue with a 2-1 female-to-male student ratio.

No, you can't.

Fresno State is 1.5 - 1 female-to-male. It was great.

Beats the other schools I applied to - the two CalPoly campuses - which are almost the same ratio in the opposite direction.

Plus, right before my transfer year, those two schools' CS programs turned into JavaSchools...

Get a room, guys.

Jayhawker wrote:

Get a room, guys.

What? It's not like you have anything to look forward to in these threads!

*Legion* wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:

Get a room, guys.

What? It's not like you have anything to look forward to in these threads!

Just got back from the Rams/Chiefs game tonight. And your right, there is just nothing to look forward to. Well, maybe a deadpool of sorts to predict when Brodie Croyle goes down. Will he go down before Cassel gets back?

Who gets hurt first: Brodie Croyle, Byron Leftwich, or Marc Bulger?

And what week does the first one go down?

Just read this blurb in the KC start about who might start week one for the Chiefs.

Passing potential or scrambling ability? Choosing the lesser of two evils is still picking something inadequate, and that’s what Kansas City will have to deal with regardless of its selection. Thigpen is sturdy, agile and inaccurate. Croyle is talented, inconsistent and frail.

The only answer Haley came up with was to fire his OC.

KC should have traded Thigpen when they had the chance. Asking for a 3rd round pick looks awfully silly now, after the guy went in there and completed equal amounts of passes to each team.

I'd still be OK with Jacksonville trading a low-round draft pick to get him, as Todd Bouman is almost 40 and plays like it.

*Legion* wrote:

Who gets hurt first: Brodie Croyle, Byron Leftwich, or Marc Bulger?

And what week does the first one go down?

Leftwich 1st in week one
Croyle 2nd in week three
Bulger 3rd in week four

Kerry Collins in week six.

Then it's Vince time!

IMAGE(http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/04/vince_young_madden.jpg)

I can't fuggin' wait.

Gotta go with Leftwich in week 4.

Croyle will be back starting around week 7 after the Chiefs realize Randy Moss makes any QB look good, and offensive linemen due actually get called for holding. But he will be hurt in Week 9 finally ending his career.

I give Bulger till Week 13 when he gets hurt, but it will be when his team needs him the most because they will be playing in the worst division in football because Warner got hurt in Week 5 and Leinart still looks worse than Vince Young who has replace Collins because he got knokced out in Week 1 by the Steelers. (ain't charma a bitch).

Although I hate to say it, Vince looked pretty good last night, but it is just preseason so it really didn't mean anything.

Jayhawker wrote:

Well, maybe a deadpool of sorts to predict when Brodie Croyle goes down.

If this season goes like this summer has for celebrities, I think it'll be damn near impossible to predict that.

G-Men cut David Tyree. Presumably they found out that it was indeed Justin Timberlake who stuck gum to Tyree's helmet.

Jaguars trade undisclosed draft pick for Luke McCown. Works for me. McCown isn't a starter, but he is a viable backup, and Todd Bouman isn't.

Jaguars cut Tony Pashos, after Pashos refused to take a pay cut (he would have slid inside to guard).

Jags are also offering up Brian Williams for trade.

Raiders cut Jeff Garcia.

Packers cut Brian Brohm.

Bills cut Dominic Rhodes.

Saints cut Joey Harrington and Paul Spicer.

Vikings cut Marcus McCauley, and the 49ers cut Bear Pascoe - sad days for Fresno State.

Seahawks have signed Lawyer Milloy.

*Legion* wrote:

Raiders cut Jeff Garcia.

That surprises me. I haven't been paying attention, since they're the raiders, but has he been hurt or something? Also, who the hell does that leave as their backup?

I agree, only thing I can think is his cap figure was too high.

I heard the buzz that Garcia was at risk for being cut for a couple of weeks now.

Garcia wasn't particularly effective in preseason. Also, the team recognizes that the playoffs aren't around the corner, so all Garcia does is take a roster spot away from a QB that might stick around beyond this year.

Most importantly, Garcia, from the accounts I read, did not embrace the idea of being part of JaMarcus Russell's support system. He wanted to start - which is understandable - but the Raiders are invested in Russell and he began to show signs of returning on that investment last season. Tom Cable said that the "other two QBs" (Gradkowski and Frye) supported JaMarcus Russell.

Garcia, at best, would give them a starting QB for this season, and that's it. Since they're going to give Russell every chance to develop, they needed backup QBs who would accept their role. Garcia, from what the team is indicating at least, wouldn't.

Patriots trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a first-round draft choice in 2011.

Rat Boy wrote:

Patriots trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a first-round draft choice in 2011.

New England couldn't afford both Seymour and Vince Wilfork, and big shocker, they considered the nose tackle to be the one they can't afford to lose.

Shawne Merriman arrested for assaulting Tila Tequila.

San Diego's real happy now that they drafted Larry English. I don't think Merriman is in their long-term plans.

IMAGE(http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8564/nelsonhaha0qm.gif)

Lights out, indeed.

Edit:

sh*tmydadsays wrote:

"Who in the f*ck is tila tequila? Is she a stripper?...That's her? Yeah, that's a stripper, son, I don't give a sh*t what you say."

I didn't know who she was either. Merriman has been going downhill since he got suspended for steriods.

Finally, Merriman finds someone smaller than him that he can beat on.

It didn't go so well last time...

IMAGE(http://www.shabooty.com/uploaded_images/MerrimanBeforeAfter-791228.jpg)

Even though the first one's been outed as a Photoshop job, he's definitely been The Incredible Shrinking Merriman post-roids.

Merriman is claiming that he was trying to stop Tila from driving drunk.

And of course, he had to choke-a-bitch to do it.

Also, it should be pointed out that Tila is nasty. And not in the good way.