Global Agenda Catch-all

So I'm in and have been playing for a while. I'm hopelessly lost but I've managed to join an agency called Noobs. I'd prefer to join up with whatever agency DocBadWrech is in but I have absolutely no clue how to navigate this new world. I understand how to do combat it's everything else in this game that I have no understanding of. Combat is a blast and so are the missions whether they're PvE or PvP. Is there any resource for telling me how the game will develop? As right now it seems like I'm getting a multiplayer only "fps" that gives me a persistent character. I'd love to know what I could look forward to.

Elliottx wrote:
So I'm in and have been playing for a while. I'm hopelessly lost but I've managed to join an agency called Noobs. I'd prefer to join up with whatever agency DocBadWrech is in but I have absolutely no clue how to navigate this new world. I understand how to do combat it's everything else in this game that I have no understanding of. Combat is a blast and so are the missions whether they're PvE or PvP. Is there any resource for telling me how the game will develop? As right now it seems like I'm getting a multiplayer only "fps" that gives me a persistent character. I'd love to know what I could look forward to.

I can't help re how the game will develop other than suggest the beta forums but I am in agreement the FPS aspect seems clear its the MMO that isn't.

talsworthy wrote:
Fan made demonstration of the classes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8CX...


Everything looks really solid. How does the PvE fare?

To early to tell - I like how they have set up the pvp and pve join http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answe.... But in terms of content I haven't drawn any conclusions.

Tals

I was a little turned off by the tutorial which I thought could do a better job of introducing the mechanics of setting up your character and the PvE combat is quite lame. As soon as I got through the tutorial and to the central hub things started picking up.

The PvP missions are great and the carrots of xp and credits keep you going. I tried a PvE mission and it is a little like a WoW instance.

I have a few pieces of loot in my inventory but I have yet to figure out how crafting works.

Overall the game seems to have quite a bit of potential and may be pretty successful if the non-subscription players aren't too gimped.

I hate you bastards..hate hate hate!

TrashiDawa wrote:
I was a little turned off by the tutorial which I thought could do a better job of introducing the mechanics of setting up your character and the PvE combat is quite lame. As soon as I got through the tutorial and to the central hub things started picking up.

The PvP missions are great and the carrots of xp and credits keep you going. I tried a PvE mission and it is a little like a WoW instance.

I have a few pieces of loot in my inventory but I have yet to figure out how crafting works.

Overall the game seems to have quite a bit of potential and may be pretty successful if the non-subscription players aren't too gimped.

Easy pve was meh - Medium it gets much more fun

I don't think I wasted my money.

I've had a lot of time in the beta now: probably around 25 hours (or even more).

Bunny hopping is not an issue. If you're hopping around, you're begging to get pegged. You aren't going to avoid death that way. Like the earlier comment I read, I hadn't even thought about it until someone mentioned it.

The tutorial could definitely be better - I agree with that. I have no doubt that will continue to be tweaked well after launch, as it will make new players better able to jump in and play.

Elliott, you don't have to wait to join our group, no matter how bad you think you are. My clan is made up of mostly older folks and we're ridiculously patient and kind hearted. We are able to do this by being so boring-seeming to young folks that (in the past) they join, get frustrated that we won't act like ass-monkeys, and then quit.

Our approach worked great in Planetside. There's nothing like talking about our kids to drive the teenagers away. When that doesn't work, we wave our walkers at them and complain about the gubbermint.

The free to play seems like a great way to get people interested in the Conquest mode. There's no doubt that if you just want to plop down some money and kill stuff - without spending any more cash - you'll be able to just fine.

I have had a great amount of fun in the PvE, which I hadn't counted on because I'm very PvP-focused. This happened because I realized just how much fun it is to play with three other buddies and learn how to work together. The fun we've had in PvE has made our PvP experiences much stronger, as a result.

I hope this helps to provide further perspective for those of you on the fence. I know I seem like a total fanboy, but I still have enough of a critical eye to realize they could let me down. In the mean time, though, I'm super excited about what I've experienced so far.

Robear wrote:
I don't think I wasted my money.

Definitely not a waste of money and I see myself subscribing at this point.

By the way, I just created a GWJ alliance for those of you that want to join up. Send me a PM if you want your agency in on it!

I am the officer of the Iniquitous Agenda we are over 100 members deep at this point with more on the way.

Hit me in game as wired or on steam for more info.

WiredAsylum wrote:
I am the officer of the Iniquitous Agenda we are over 100 members deep at this point with more on the way.

Hit me in game as wired or on steam for more info.

Don't listen to him. It's a ponzi scheme. He's jacks the tax rate up, promising it'll help the agency out in Conquest by buying dropships, labs, beacons, etc... Then once it gets up to a couple million he's going to bail with it all. And with no log on the Agency Bank, we'll "never know" who did it.

I am caught, I will have every vanity armor and dye in the game!!! I will be taking our 5million and making a new me!

Hah! Well, Wired, you have a MUCH larger group than mine at this point. I'd like someone other than me to be an alliance commander, so perhaps when the game goes live, you'd like to re-create a GWJ alliance?

I only say that because I'm a family man, I maintain three blogs, run my gaming group, and help my wife with her junior high teaching. I'm a little stretched.

I'm not sure what all is involved in running an alliance, but I'm sure I'm not the man for the job. We Section 8'ers are definitely strike team folks. I wonder if we'll even have any of those cool hexes on the Conquest map.

So how does the combat feel compared to other FPS and other MMOs?

ranalin wrote:
So how does the combat feel compared to other FPS and other MMOs?

Best way I can think to describe it.... TF2 (class warfare / gametype) mixed with Unreal Tournament (Movement);*

*Which is more than enough to sell me on the game. Once you add in PvE and AvA plus character leveling, etc... This game is more than worth the $50 pricetag.

I keep hearing Planetside as a comparision for GA, but for me PS was large battles, open world and vehicles. Looking a bit into GA, I'm seeing 10 to 12 on a team (20 to 24 in a 'fight'), instances and no vehicles except the occasional 'walker' mecha.

I'm not seeing the basis for the comparision here.

LtWarhound wrote:
I keep hearing Planetside as a comparision for GA, but for me PS was large battles, open world and vehicles. Looking a bit into GA, I'm seeing 10 to 12 on a team (20 to 24 in a 'fight'), instances and no vehicles except the occasional 'walker' mecha.

I'm not seeing the basis for the comparision here.

People compare GA to PS because... wait for it... it's kind of sci-fi laser shooty stuff. Beyond that, there are near no similarities.

LtWarhound wrote:
I keep hearing Planetside as a comparision for GA, but for me PS was large battles, open world and vehicles. Looking a bit into GA, I'm seeing 10 to 12 on a team (20 to 24 in a 'fight'), instances and no vehicles except the occasional 'walker' mecha.

I'm not seeing the basis for the comparision here.


Also vehicles and the larger scale battles are not being tested at this time in this phase of beta.

The main commonality is that it's a persistent world and you shoot guns.

WiredAsylum wrote:

Also vehicles and the larger scale battles are not being tested at this time in this phase of beta.

Isn't it a little later in the beta to not be testing those things?

Okay, let me roll out my understanding of GA, correct me if I'm wrong:

Team based PvP and PvE - not solo friendly.

Class based, you can't freely switch between them without leveling up multiple characters, ie. like WoW. Not like TF2 where you can more or less freely switch.

Customizable classes, with multiple 'talent' trees. Like WoW (multiple trees per class) or Diablo (same tree, not enough points to fill the branches, so you end up with a given cookie-cutter layout or two)?

Quasipersistant world if you aren't paying the subscription(F2P), and if you are paying the subscription (P2P) you pretty much have to be in an organization (clan/guild/company/agency/whatever) to get the full benefit (unlike, say, Eve, where being in a corp is strongly encouraged, but you can still solo).

Some kinda of crafting if you are P2P, but basically just 'fluff', dressing up your paperdoll, not impacting your ability to fight, right?

Aaaand finally, 3 weeks before launch, the NDA is in full effect? Not encouraging.

LtWarhound wrote:
WiredAsylum wrote:

Also vehicles and the larger scale battles are not being tested at this time in this phase of beta.

Isn't it a little later in the beta to not be testing those things?


Maybe I was not clear, the beta phase people are in now the "open" beta is just conquest functions. They may have been tested in other phases.

Okay, let me roll out my understanding of GA, correct me if I'm wrong:

Team based PvP and PvE - not solo friendly.


There is no solo, it is all team based like TF2

Class based, you can't freely switch between them without leveling up multiple characters, ie. like WoW. Not like TF2 where you can more or less freely switch.

Each class has its own levels you can not just level up 1 and have your recon etc that level as well.

Customizable classes, with multiple 'talent' trees. Like WoW (multiple trees per class) or Diablo (same tree, not enough points to fill the branches, so you end up with a given cookie-cutter layout or two)?


Yes there are talents not sure why one would assume there will be cookie cutter

Quasipersistant world if you aren't paying the subscription(F2P), and if you are paying the subscription (P2P) you pretty much have to be in an organization (clan/guild/company/agency/whatever) to get the full benefit (unlike, say, Eve, where being in a corp is strongly encouraged, but you can still solo).

Mercenaries will be needed by agencies to help defend at times.

Some kinda of crafting if you are P2P, but basically just 'fluff', dressing up your paperdoll, not impacting your ability to fight, right?

Not at all the upgrades and stims are well worth it not so much for every day matches but for base assaults and defenses you will want them.

Aaaand finally, 3 weeks before launch, the NDA is in full effect? Not encouraging.

Show me one game that has had its NDA lifted. If you look at NDAs they are always in place to keep people from talking about early stages of the game.

It is clear you don't like it, are not interested in it.

LtWarhound wrote:

Team based PvP and PvE - not solo friendly.

Customizable classes, with multiple 'talent' trees. Like WoW (multiple trees per class) or Diablo (same tree, not enough points to fill the branches, so you end up with a given cookie-cutter layout or two)?

There is a queue system so you can just select what kind of PvE or PvP mission you want whether you are solo or in a group.

The talent tree is a little like WoW's talent system (more like AoC's actually) with a couple of spec tree per class and a general tree shared between classes.

WiredAsylum wrote:
LtWarhound wrote:

Customizable classes, with multiple 'talent' trees. Like WoW (multiple trees per class) or Diablo (same tree, not enough points to fill the branches, so you end up with a given cookie-cutter layout or two)?

Yes there are talents not sure why one would assume there will be cookie cutter

Where there are multiple options, there is always a select set of choices that works best. You might fiddle with a few percent difference, but its gonna match up with a given build, or at most a few different builds. Cookie cutter is a really safe assumption pending examples otherwise. On the beta forums, are there already given builds per class? Be surprised if there weren't.



Aaaand finally, 3 weeks before launch, the NDA is in full effect? Not encouraging.

Show me one game that has had its NDA lifted. If you look at NDAs they are always in place to keep people from talking about early stages of the game.

NDAs normally lift when open beta rolls in. It is open beta, right? No longer closed beta? Open beta is not 'early stages' of the game, its the last thing before going gold. Trying to keep the NDA once the game goes into open beta isn't a reassuring sign.


It is clear you don't like it, are not interested in it.

Daaamn, Wired, fanboi much? Of course I'm not interested in it, I often waste my time researching games I have no interest in. Doesn't everyone?

Double Post Bonanza!

docbadwrench wrote:
By the way, I just created a GWJ alliance for those of you that want to join up. Send me a PM if you want your agency in on it!

We created one as well. I am curious how it separates the two. The one created was 'GWJ'.

Anywho, If anyone wants to join up message any of the following people:
BadKen
JakeLeg
Taikuo
TrashiDawa
Elliottx
Nimcosi

LtWarhound wrote:
WiredAsylum wrote:
LtWarhound wrote:

Customizable classes, with multiple 'talent' trees. Like WoW (multiple trees per class) or Diablo (same tree, not enough points to fill the branches, so you end up with a given cookie-cutter layout or two)?

Yes there are talents not sure why one would assume there will be cookie cutter

Where there are multiple options, there is always a select set of choices that works best. You might fiddle with a few percent difference, but its gonna match up with a given build, or at most a few different builds. Cookie cutter is a really safe assumption pending examples otherwise. On the beta forums, are there already given builds per class? Be surprised if there weren't.



Aaaand finally, 3 weeks before launch, the NDA is in full effect? Not encouraging.

Show me one game that has had its NDA lifted. If you look at NDAs they are always in place to keep people from talking about early stages of the game.

NDAs normally lift when open beta rolls in. It is open beta, right? No longer closed beta? Open beta is not 'early stages' of the game, its the last thing before going gold. Trying to keep the NDA once the game goes into open beta isn't a reassuring sign.


It is clear you don't like it, are not interested in it.

Daaamn, Wired, fanboi much? Of course I'm not interested in it, I often waste my time researching games I have no interest in. Doesn't everyone?


Show me one game that has lifted it NDA prior to launch?
You can insult me all you want but that doesn't change that you are asking questions but then answering them in a negative fashion yourself.

Now, now. No negativity is needed from any of us. A little critical examination never hurt, either. I'm very much enjoying my time in-game. It sure doesn't have all of what I loved from Planetside, but it has enough to be very interesting.

As far as the whole open beta thing goes, I'm not sure what to call this. Quasi-open, maybe? Dunno. The last beta I was in was Anarchy Online - pretty much a lifetime ago.

Also, Nimcosi, I will disband the current GWJ alliance then, and join yours. I sure don't want any responsibilities. One ten year old son is enough for me. Our Section 8 group is smallish so I can lead that one just fine.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions to this thread!

double post