FFXIV: catch all

As slow as the updater is, I'll wait for a direct link (Which has probably already been done knowing nerds.)

I'm getting about 100-150K. Just gonna let it run for a while.

ranalin wrote:
BishopRS wrote:

Sweet. Gracias.

I was thinking that there weren't racial differences since you pick where your stats go when you level.

You can do that but each race starts with a different set of stats. So depending on what youre going for it can give you a head start but as you know in XI after awhile it doesnt matter eventually everyone maxes everything out.

Allow me to clarify i figured each race would have unique stats we just don't have the hard #'s yet, at least from what i could see from the wiki. Sure FFXIV is telling us, X race is going to be better than Y at C thing but we don't have juicy #'s yet, i figure once open Beta starts people will post that stuff all over, so you can # crunch which race is best for which class, but yeah at the upper end of the game if it's like FFXI at all, it won't be that big of a difference.

Hmm, for some reason I too was under the impression that different races wouldn't have different stats. I suppose we'll find out at the same time as everyone else.

The beta updater for the game has been the source of much anger on various forums. Regardless of how many ports are opened on routers or how many firewalls are turned off, download speeds of 20Kb/s are common. My favorite memory of the beta download was seeing a number between 300 and 400 in the download speed area...I was happy until I realized it was 300 BYTES per second.

Im at about 70% of the first file (if Im reading it correctly) and still hovering about 120kb/s up and 130kb/s down.

Open Beta will be up available again starting 9/1/10 at 19:00 PDT.

I finished the download last night but the install failed. If you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, disable it before the expansion/installation as it gives a false positive and you wont complete it (and it's very long)

my download kept failing on file 3/4. While i was wanting to see the cahnges i think i've still played enough to know that i'm not going forward with this. Not to mention the enforced play time. Ya i want to train up a couple other jobs, but i want to do it when i want.

OMG I am so behind. Someone page absurddoctor and make him get me a console that can play FFXIII, STAT!

I'm fully downloaded and installed, but it says i need to add a service. When i sign into my SE account, there isnt a place for beta, it just asks for a FFXIV code. Maybe it will be turned on tonight.

I haven't found a way to get a code yet either. But it will need to be added to your Square Enix account, and gotten from the http://entry.ffxiv.com site.

edit - Here's the info from Square:

Squeenix wrote:

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Will Start on Sep. 1!

We would like to take this opportunity to provide an update regarding FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which was announced to be postponed on Aug. 31, 2010.

Along with the completion on investigation and correction of the critical issue, we have decided to begin FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test on Sep. 1, 2010 at 19:00 (PDT).

Starting on Sep. 1, 2010 at 19:00 (PDT), acquisition of registration code required for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be available.

We are looking forward to your participation in FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test!

edit - reg is open, servers are freaking slammed.

ranalin wrote:

Putting limits on how much or how little someone plays it just silly. I'm an adult and able to manage my time. The bleeding hearts that dont like it on either side of the scale can all go die in a fire. I dont bitch or complain about their mediocrity. Why would they impose some kind of system trying to keep everyone that plays their game equal. People need to jump ahead and push the boundries. If you didnt have groups of people constantly pushing out like that the game would become boring.

Kinda late to this discussion.

I think the decision wasn't based on people poopsocking leveling parties like they (...we...)* did in FFXI. I think SE has seen too many MMOs open big with 1 or 2 million subs, who are all so stoked on the game that they rush to max level. When they get there the Progess Wars bars are all full, and the endgame may be incomplete or may be full of kinks. The MMO then struggles to keep active for a few years before going free to play.

Also, I've downloaded the 117mb installer twice, and both times I've used it I woke up to "Failed to Update Version." Something I'm doing wrong?

Actually it took me a year from launch to get from 1-75 Red Mage in XI. It was a great time, we had no idea what we were doing.

On an unrelated but very related note. I'll be on Figaro server as of course Devmani.

Blind_Evil wrote:
ranalin wrote:

Putting limits on how much or how little someone plays it just silly. I'm an adult and able to manage my time. The bleeding hearts that dont like it on either side of the scale can all go die in a fire. I dont bitch or complain about their mediocrity. Why would they impose some kind of system trying to keep everyone that plays their game equal. People need to jump ahead and push the boundries. If you didnt have groups of people constantly pushing out like that the game would become boring.

Kinda late to this discussion.

I think the decision wasn't based on people poopsocking leveling parties like they (...we...)* did in FFXI. I think SE has seen too many MMOs open big with 1 or 2 million subs, who are all so stoked on the game that they rush to max level. When they get there the Progess Wars bars are all full, and the endgame may be incomplete or may be full of kinks. The MMO then struggles to keep active for a few years before going free to play.

if thats the reason they have then theres no reason for them to be releasing the game yet and its doomed to lackluster return sales performance anyway. I've yet to see a valid reason and of course SE wont give one just that this is the way they're going.

Not going to say the game will fail too many FF and SE fanbois for that to happen, but its definitely planted itself squarely back into the niche corner.

ranalin wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
ranalin wrote:

Putting limits on how much or how little someone plays it just silly. I'm an adult and able to manage my time. The bleeding hearts that dont like it on either side of the scale can all go die in a fire. I dont bitch or complain about their mediocrity. Why would they impose some kind of system trying to keep everyone that plays their game equal. People need to jump ahead and push the boundries. If you didnt have groups of people constantly pushing out like that the game would become boring.

Kinda late to this discussion.

I think the decision wasn't based on people poopsocking leveling parties like they (...we...)* did in FFXI. I think SE has seen too many MMOs open big with 1 or 2 million subs, who are all so stoked on the game that they rush to max level. When they get there the Progess Wars bars are all full, and the endgame may be incomplete or may be full of kinks. The MMO then struggles to keep active for a few years before going free to play.

if thats the reason they have then theres no reason for them to be releasing the game yet and its doomed to lackluster return sales performance anyway. I've yet to see a valid reason and of course SE wont give one just that this is the way they're going.

Not going to say the game will fail too many FF and SE fanbois for that to happen, but its definitely planted itself squarely back into the niche corner.

This is my thought. WoW had some issues with this after launch, but Blizz busted hump pretty hard to get raids out and available for those who hit cap ahead of what they'd hoped it would be.

Devmani wrote:

On an unrelated but very related note. I'll be on Figaro server as of course Devmani.

Sounds like Figaro might be the GWJ server of choice, unless other folks have thoughts.

Figaro it is then. My character's name is Arathal, and I'll be squatting in the Lotro channel on Vent if anyone is interested.

I'm waiting to commit to an RP server, if there is one.

Girlygamer wrote:

I'm waiting to commit to an RP server, if there is one.

If it's anything like FFXI was, all servers will be PvE only, with no real RP designation on any of them.

LupusUmbrus wrote:

Figaro it is then. My character's name is Arathal, and I'll be squatting in the Lotro channel on Vent if anyone is interested. :)

I'll probably drop by as well as soon as my install finishes.

edit - Finished the install(finally, turns out MSE kept throwing up on it) and I can't see Figaro in the world list. Any idea what's going on?

Seems their sign-up servers are no longer crushed. I'll hop onto Figaro and see if I can't snag cyrax (prob not).

Installing now, omw to Figaro later today.

FYI for all the incomers, I can't see Figaro in the list. I'm on Bodhum, which seems to be lower population(1 chocobo out of three), so looking at somewhere else might be needed, unless I'm the only sap who can't get on Figaro.

Yeah, Figaro must have been slammed, or they're working on it. Either way I joined AnimeJ on Bodhum.

Man, I love the Lalafel's move animation and pudder of their feet.

Signing on to Figaro now. "Rint Firestorm"

Um why is the mouse cursor so unacceptably slow/laggy while logged in? This is a temporary problem right? I mean OnLive has a more responsive cursor while playing a game on their servers. Graphics are gorgeous though.

I'm Aleera Arthas on Figaro. I was not going to check the beta out, but since I took a few days off work this week and we are having a long weekend, I have enough game hours to dedicate a bit to FFXIV.

This feels just like FFXI when I first tried it. I felt lost, fighting against the UI and its unresponsiveness, not having a grasp of the combat and stat system since nothing is well documented and seeing Catgirls with Anime names all over the place! Awesome!

It is not bad, I love the character models and armor design, the presence of a storyline with cutscenes, the intricate job system, but I think this game needed a couple extra months of polishing and bug fixing. I'm not sure I will be getting this on launch day but I definitely will be trying it out again after a few months.

Pro tip: Get a controller to play the game. Handling the UI and my character felt SO much better after hooking up my 360 controller to it. The mouse curso lags so bad because they are not supporting Hardware Mouse at this point. No word if they will implement that in the future. Yeah, I know. It sucks!

Ok, Figaro is back in the lineup. So do we go with that as primary with Bodhum as backup?

Also, you can find me on both servers as Latrevian Lamora. I love alliteration

Couldnt stay online. Anytime I tried to interact with an Aethyr(sp?) crystal the game would crash back to windows.

I love the idea of the game but playing it feels like I'm dealing with a game from 2001. And I even switched to my corded Xbox 360 controller. Am I missing something? Is there a game I should be thinking this is like instead of an MMORPG?

I'm a noble carpenter who went to a tree that sparkled, I took the idea of it sparkling as to meaning it had something useful for me. I couldn't do anything to that tree as I couldn't figure out how to do anything to it. Somebody eventually came around with an axe who smacked the tree to receive it's bounty of feathers. Me is confused.

It's a Final Fantasy game that you play with other people. Treat it like that and you're golden. As for why it feels like a game from 2001, well, it really is. It's Final Fantasy XI reskinned with a handful of changes to the way characters work.