Rage Catch-All

Apparently it's a 15h campaign, I'm not sure if that's for a critical path run through, or if you're poking your nose everywhere and doing all the sidequests.

15 hours isn't particularly long (typically) for games with missions, towns, and weapon upgrades. Hmm.

CptGlanton wrote:

15 hours isn't particularly long (typically) for games with missions, towns, and weapon upgrades. Hmm.

In today's FPS world it is. Only one I can think of longer recently was Borderlands, and it's kind of a hybrid.

I guess it depends on what you consider this game. As a shooter, 15 hours is longish. I think Crysis 2 was supposedly a 12 hour game, and it's one of the longer ones recently. I seem to also remember Dead Space 2 being 10+ hours as well, but I haven't gotten to it yet. As an open world game, it's probably not that long.

15 hours is fine with me.

I think the level of detail in the game is amazing. ID has always been great at creating engines but their gameplay has always had the same monster in the closet feel to it. Watching the video doesn't change that perception. Perhaps this will be different but I'm probably more excited to see what other devs will do with the engine. Not that this game isn't exciting.

CptGlanton wrote:

15 hours isn't particularly long (typically) for games with missions, towns, and weapon upgrades. Hmm.

I've never been a fan of the hour count as a means of rating an SP game. There are SP only games that I've enjoyed but thought could do with some editing to tighten them up a bit. While walking aimlessly through the wastes was alluring for the first 6 hours of Fallout 3, I spent a lot more time fast travelling between spots after that and decided to skip over stuff that I could find if I "doubled back." In fact, slogging along and getting ganked by random deathclaws was one of the things that wore away my interest in New Vegas.

MannishBoy wrote:
CptGlanton wrote:

15 hours isn't particularly long (typically) for games with missions, towns, and weapon upgrades. Hmm.

In today's FPS world it is. Only one I can think of longer recently was Borderlands, and it's kind of a hybrid.

I guess it depends on what you consider this game. As a shooter, 15 hours is longish. I think Crysis 2 was supposedly a 12 hour game, and it's one of the longer ones recently. I seem to also remember Dead Space 2 being 10+ hours as well, but I haven't gotten to it yet. As an open world game, it's probably not that long.

15 hours is fine with me.

My 'hmm' meant that perhaps the game is mostly an FPS with a few (perhaps shallow) open world characteristics. I had been thinking/hoping that the open world would have more depth to it than that.

If 15 hours is just the main quest line, then all of this probably goes out the window anyway.

MannishBoy wrote:

15 hours is fine with me.

Same here - give me 15 hours in a beautifully realized post-apocalyptic world and I will give you $60 dollars, sir.

I think I have to buy this on PC. It's id after all.

Since the MP is vehicle combat/race stuff, I don't really feel myself interested enough to feel like I need to leverage my Xbox friends list. Maybe it will be fun to suck me in and I'll be surprised, but I think there should be a good player base on PC if that happens.

MannishBoy wrote:

Since the MP is vehicle combat/race stuff, I don't really feel myself interested enough to feel like I need to leverage my Xbox friends list. Maybe it will be fun to suck me in and I'll be surprised, but I think there should be a good player base on PC if that happens.

There is also all of the co-op missions as well. Legends of the Wasteland

nel e nel wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Since the MP is vehicle combat/race stuff, I don't really feel myself interested enough to feel like I need to leverage my Xbox friends list. Maybe it will be fun to suck me in and I'll be surprised, but I think there should be a good player base on PC if that happens.

There is also all of the co-op missions as well. Legends of the Wasteland

Quit trying to confuse me!

Todd Hollenshead wrote:

"We had the discussions early on with Rage about what platforms we were going to go on," he said. "Two-thirds of our sales are going to be on console, we're going to make sure we have that gameplay feel tight first."

"In game development, you have to tailor your gameplay to where you expect people to play it on," he added. "So, while we're developing Rage on the PC, we forbid anybody from playing it on a keyboard and mouse until we've played it first on a console controller. We pull the keyboard and mouse out and put in a USB 360 controller, even on the development staff. That's not just the testers."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...

For the 360 version, I hope you're not running a small hard drive: https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack...

How much space will be required for a 360 HD full install?
unfortunately, all 3 dvds need to be installed, so 21 GB. PS3 doesn't allow this much, so only partial is an option there.

He's not crystal clear on whether an install is mandatory.

Well it's a good thing I would never get this for a console.

Jesus.

He also posted this:

For Rage data streaming, PC HD full install > 360 HD full install > PS3 partial install > 360 HD cache > 360 DVD

I don't know why this is such a bad thing - I install all of my games. LA Noire is this size, as is FF13. Hopefully we don't have to disc swap, but even that is a minor inconvenience.

I am glad it is this size! That means loads of content/sassy graphics.

Oh absolutely. If a studio can make such a game it has to be demoralising to have to cut it down to fit on one disc. Letting the game spread it's wings is great if the system can do it, although they have to be taking a hit on the disc licensing on the 360.

There's no doubt this is inherently a good thing, but disk space is an issue for me.

I'm just glad I have a good PC

Pffff, I've been on a reinstalling spree lately, checking out old stuff, and I don't think my games partition has dropped below 100GB free, that's with a ton games of varying size installed. Hard drives are cheap.

I was referring to my consoles. I have 4TB on my PC, so that won't be a problem.

"The Dawn" video, setting up the story and state of the world.

I can't help but be extremely excited for this game.

It's kinda like Fallout 3 only with high rez ugliness instead of low rez ugliness.

Higgledy wrote:

It's kinda like Fallout 3 only with high rez ugliness instead of low rez ugliness.

I think that only goes so far, they seem quite different games. I'm still expecting an id shooter more than I am any RPG.

Plus the fact that my steam FO3 GOTY asks for 7.6GB to install it, and Rage is at 2+ DVDs worth. The 360 is at 3 DVDs, but because you can probably play off each disc there's going to be some duplication.

Is it October yet?

No?

Damn

Scratched wrote:

For the 360 version, I hope you're not running a small hard drive: https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack...
He's not crystal clear on whether an install is mandatory.

A mandatory install on 360 would be insane and would push me to cancel my pre-order. I get the feeling a lot of folk out there (myself included) still cling to their original 20GB HDD.

Maclintok wrote:
Scratched wrote:

For the 360 version, I hope you're not running a small hard drive: https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack...
He's not crystal clear on whether an install is mandatory.

A mandatory install on 360 would be insane and would push me to cancel my pre-order. I get the feeling a lot of folk out there (myself included) still cling to their original 20GB HDD.

I thought MS didn't allow mandatory installs.

They don't. Of course, he is Carmack. If he really pushed for it, who knows?

The second tweet

MannishBoy wrote:

He also posted this:

For Rage data streaming, PC HD full install > 360 HD full install > PS3 partial install > 360 HD cache > 360 DVD

Seems to imply those are all options. Again, nothing concrete, probably because he can't say yet.

Less Borderlands, more Fallout?

I want to play it. EDIT: Though I may have to go console instead of PC. I expect that this one might be the breaking point for my lappy. Maybe even my desktop. Desky? No that sounds lame.

But I'm tired of hearing PR flacks talk about a "new experience." We've already been saved from apocalypse by hiding in vaults and driven dune buggies across the wasteland to get missions from suspicious, dusty townfolk and descended into disused buildings to pulp super mutants. Just tell us it's a better post-apocalypse game. Work the genre of Mad Max rather than the genre of FPS when you get someone in front of the camera selling it to us.

gains wrote:

But I'm tired of hearing PR flacks talk about a "new experience." We've already been saved from apocalypse by hiding in vaults and driven dune buggies across the wasteland to get missions from suspicious, dusty townfolk and descended into disused buildings to pulp super mutants. Just tell us it's a better post-apocalypse game. Work the genre of Mad Max rather than the genre of FPS when you get someone in front of the camera selling it to us.

Well put.

Would be nice to have an amalgamation of those three. Give me the setting and stories woven into Fallout, the travel, combat and mobs system of Borderlands and the atmosphere and survivalist mechanics from STALKER. But judging from the game play videos that have been released so far, we'll get none of that but something more linear than either of them. I won't go as far as calling it a typical id tech demo, but the have their reputation of mostly being an engine-breeding company for a reason.