Borderlands (catch all)

0:43, 1:13 1:45 you can see the enemies getting pushed back but the gun fire.

WiredAsylum wrote:
0:43, 1:13 1:45 you can see the enemies getting pushed back but the gun fire.

I think that the one at 1:45 shows pretty clearly that the guy wasn't being pushed back by gun fire.

MeatMan wrote:
lordpolish wrote:
Yep. I'm only playing with people on my friends list. Even with friends the loot system is dumb - "Hey buddy? Do you need the ecto-rifle Mark III with acid rounds? OK it's over here by this crate. No No, the OTHER crate."

Umm, pick up the item and drop it at your friend's feet?

New trailer is cool. As long as they don't screw the pooch on the inventory system, I expect this to be a very fun game.

That's my point - a game that part of it's main focus in on a bajillion gunzz!131!! shouldn't make me do extra work for everything that looks decent. Do you really think it's no big deal to have a gun huddle after each combat to see who needs what?

Hey guys let's huddle up all the guns over here and see if anyone needs anything!

What's going to actually happen is guns won't get distributed to people who could use them because it's too much of a PITA to do it. The poor sniper class is going to get really screwed.

skeletonframes wrote:
I noticed that almost all of the hits in this video are kill shots, and the few that aren't seem to confirm that there isn't any hit detection on enemies. That kind of worries me. Can anyone who has played the game confirm if it actually feels like you're shooting the person or not?

They never really reacted to being shot.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
skeletonframes wrote:
I noticed that almost all of the hits in this video are kill shots, and the few that aren't seem to confirm that there isn't any hit detection on enemies. That kind of worries me. Can anyone who has played the game confirm if it actually feels like you're shooting the person or not?

They never really reacted to being shot.

Could be why the health points pop up when you hit. I hope there's some sort of demo.

Kotaku has some long term hands-on impressions, with both good news and bad news.

The good news is Brian Crecente keeps coming back to it and is really enjoying the loot system. He also mentions that he blew an enemy's foot off at long range, but sadly did not mention how an enemy would act if he shot it in the foot and DIDN'T kill it (ie, if it would stagger, limp, fall over, etc.).

The bad news is it's apparently pretty dull. A grind is a grind is a grind, and Borderlands seems to have the same uninspired "go here and kill everything" missions as other MMOs. AI is mediocre.

He points out that it is a press demo and he's been promised a better storyline in the full version.

For those of you concerned about the menu system, you can get a preliminary look at it here:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/957206/borderlands/videos/borderlands_gmp_menus_91409.html

lordpolish wrote:
MeatMan wrote:
lordpolish wrote:
Yep. I'm only playing with people on my friends list. Even with friends the loot system is dumb - "Hey buddy? Do you need the ecto-rifle Mark III with acid rounds? OK it's over here by this crate. No No, the OTHER crate."

Umm, pick up the item and drop it at your friend's feet?

New trailer is cool. As long as they don't screw the pooch on the inventory system, I expect this to be a very fun game.


Do you really think it's no big deal to have a gun huddle after each combat to see who needs what?

Hey guys let's huddle up all the guns over here and see if anyone needs anything!


Where and when did I say anything about a gun huddle? I was just replying to your specific example of your partner wanting a weapon that dropped near you, assuming your partner was far away. From the gameplay videos I've seen, I expect there to be more than enough loot dropping from enemies so that each party member will have an oppurtunity to look at several weapons.

Again, all you have to do to avoid a potential weapon you want from being snatched by your teammate(s) is to play with people you trust, and tell them what types of weapons and/or weapon mods you want so that when those things drop, they'll leave them on the ground for you if you're playing sniper and bringing up the rear.

Anyway, on to the reason I'm making a new post in this thread...

For those of you concerned about enemies (not) reacting to being shot (Lobster, skeleton), watch this co-op gameplay video. Judging by your previous comments, you still may not be satisfied, but you can't deny that there is hit detection.

philosofrenzy wrote:
For those of you concerned about the menu system, you can get a preliminary look at it here:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/957206/borderlands/videos/borderlands_gmp_menus_91409.html

Looks like a pretty austere list system. I can't imagine it being anything less than functional (if not a bit vanilla), so I wonder why it took so long for us to actually see it. Good catch, though.

MeatMan wrote:
For those of you concerned about enemies (not) reacting to being shot (Lobster, skeleton), watch this co-op gameplay video. Judging by your previous comments, you still may not be satisfied, but you can't deny that there is hit detection.

Hrm. You're right, there is some reaction. Sometimes. I don't know, it looks like the kind of thing I'd need to try for myself to see how satisfying (or not) killing badguys is.

Puff piece up at ArsTechnica

New vids up at Giant Bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/watch-some-borderlands/1683/

Haven't watched them all yet.

I can't say those videos did anything but confirm to me that I should only rent this. There's something about an FPS game that's doing all the RPG calculations that just doesn't work for me. Firing at an enemy and watching the numbers fly above their heads while they continue to run around like you're not actually doing anything to them just doesn't doesn't do it in this kind of game. It ruins something (that I can't quite put my finger on) about the first person perspective.

Hence my complete and utter disinterest in Fallout 3 I guess.

Tigerbill wrote:
New vids up at Giant Bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/watch-some-borderlands/1683/

Haven't watched them all yet.

Jeff! wrote:
On that note, only being able to hold 12 objects got to be rough in a couple of spots. I kept hoping I'd be able to dig up a scroll of town portal or something so I could get back and sell off the gear I was finding. It sounds like the size of your backpack increases as you play.

Gametrailers has a preview video up, too.

It confirms the 12 inventory slots, and also shows that each healing item you carry takes up its own slot.

Have gearbox said anything about any expansions/extra content/sequel/other after release, or is it 'done'? I know they're also doing the Colonial marines game, but it would be nice to see them build on it if it's successful.

Scratched wrote:
Have gearbox said anything about any expansions/extra content/sequel/other after release, or is it 'done'? I know they're also doing the Colonial marines game, but it would be nice to see them build on it if it's successful.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle....

People are going to be surprised when they find out how quickly we're coming, and with what content we're coming ... Also, we're going to watch and see what happens when the game launches, so we can have our plans affected by what our customers want more of.

Thin_J wrote:

I can't say those videos did anything but confirm to me that I should only rent this. There's something about an FPS game that's doing all the RPG calculations that just doesn't work for me. Firing at an enemy and watching the numbers fly above their heads while they continue to run around like you're not actually doing anything to them just doesn't doesn't do it in this kind of game. It ruins something (that I can't quite put my finger on) about the first person perspective.

Hence my complete and utter disinterest in Fallout 3 I guess.

Doesn't bother me at all, its a mindless violence-gun porn game for me. It would be nice if they put in controller feedback for the hits, kinda like CoD. Can anyone who's played it confirm this?

Borderlands split-screen impressions, PC version delayed

Looks like PC users will have to wait a week until Oct 26.

RichyRambo wrote:

Borderlands split-screen impressions, PC version delayed

Looks like PC users will have to wait a week until Oct 26.

Meh, I can cope with a week I think. This time of year it's not like there wont be anything else to keep me occupied in the meantime

philosofrenzy wrote:
For those of you concerned about the menu system, you can get a preliminary look at it here:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/957206/borderlands/videos/borderlands_gmp_menus_91409.html

So is that a pump-action sniper rifle or a long range shotgun at 0:26?

Looks like a pump-action rifle.

RichyRambo wrote:

Borderlands split-screen impressions, PC version delayed

Looks like PC users will have to wait a week until Oct 26.

Great news on the split-screen. This game is getting more and more tempting to pre-order the more I hear about it.

EvilDead wrote:
RichyRambo wrote:

Borderlands split-screen impressions, PC version delayed

Looks like PC users will have to wait a week until Oct 26.

Great news on the split-screen. This game is getting more and more tempting to pre-order the more I hear about it.

Indeed it is, I caved when I saw a pre-order offer for £20... I should prabably post that in the deal thread actually...

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Looks like a pump-action rifle.

I thought they stopped making those because pointed bullets tended to bump together and misfire when you place them all in a row nose to butt.

Tamren wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
Looks like a pump-action rifle.

I thought they stopped making those because pointed bullets tended to bump together and misfire when you place them all in a row nose to butt.

They also stopped making the rocket revolvers because the backwash burned your hand.

Tamren wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
Looks like a pump-action rifle.

I thought they stopped making those because pointed bullets tended to bump together and misfire when you place them all in a row nose to butt.

A gun with a tubular magazine can use round-nose bullets to prevent that. Or soft polymer tipped bullets.

But in any case, a pump-action weapon doesn't have to use a tubular magazine. And the rifle in the video doesn't seem to have a tubular magazine.

Or its a game and they don't care what that rifle would be like in real life, now leave me alone I have to go zero my acid shotgun for deer season.

Tigerbill wrote:
Or its a game and they don't care what that rifle would be like in real life, now leave me alone I have to go zero my acid shotgun for deer season.

Or that.

I hope they have shotguns with lightning bullets.

Tamren wrote:
I hope they have shotguns with lightning bullets.

Can someone explain to me how a shotgun remains a shotgun once you stop putting shotgun shells in it? It can't just be an unrifled barrel, else everything from muskets to grenade launchers would be shotguns.

Tamren wrote:
I hope they have shotguns with lightning bullets.

Or lightning bolts made of shotguns.