Demon's Souls - Catch All

Stele wrote:

I linked the level range finder several pages back. I think I found it from the wiki.

Yeah I just looked at the tool and 52 can summon 67, and vice versa.

Dakuna wrote:
Stele wrote:

I linked the level range finder several pages back. I think I found it from the wiki.

Yeah I just looked at the tool and 52 can summon 67, and vice versa.

Heyo ! Just got back from a short trip. 52's in range, then? perfect. Now, I probably won't be anywhere near an internet connection until Sunday, but I should be good to go any day from Sunday to Friday from around 10pm ET (my schedule's tough, I know :/) if it works for you, though I can make it 8-9 ET on Wednesday and/or Thursday. I'm also on right now, just in case.

brokenclavicle wrote:
Dakuna wrote:
Stele wrote:

I linked the level range finder several pages back. I think I found it from the wiki.

Yeah I just looked at the tool and 52 can summon 67, and vice versa.

Heyo ! Just got back from a short trip. 52's in range, then? perfect. Now, I probably won't be anywhere near an internet connection until Sunday, but I should be good to go any day from Sunday to Friday from around 10pm ET (my schedule's tough, I know :/) if it works for you, though I can make it 8-9 ET on Wednesday and/or Thursday. I'm also on right now, just in case. :D

Should we set up some voice chat? GWJ ventrilo, or skype?

Dakuna wrote:

Should we set up some voice chat? GWJ ventrilo, or skype?

I'm brokenclavicle on skype as well, go ahead and add me!

Platinum.

Forgot how much crap you had to do. Not just beating world 2 and 3 for the last boss souls I needed, but I had to rescue the Sage from 4-2 and Witch from 1-3 to be able to use them. Took a lot more playing over the last couple days than I thought I would, but I'm finally done.

Anybody want a cheap used copy of this game?

Stele wrote:

Platinum.

Forgot how much crap you had to do. Not just beating world 2 and 3 for the last boss souls I needed, but I had to rescue the Sage from 4-2 and Witch from 1-3 to be able to use them. Took a lot more playing over the last couple days than I thought I would, but I'm finally done.

Anybody want a cheap used copy of this game? :D

Congrats! On to Dark Souls 2!

Thanks for the Bloodborne tip, Aut.Taker!

I took the liberty of creating a catch-all thread for it.

Weird question - someone wants to know if you can get the game to display French subtitles.

Anyone know? I can check tonight, but I thought I would ask here as well

Dakuna wrote:

Weird question - someone wants to know if you can get the game to display French subtitles.

Anyone know? I can check tonight, but I thought I would ask here as well

I think you would need the Euro version.

I am totally going to be playing this while reading my book tonight.

Patrick Klepek has started a Demon Souls play through. There is a bit of faffing about to start with (it was his birthday which is why he has that hat.) Play starts around the 13 minute mark.

Cool I'll watch that one.

I think next time I get into a dry game period, probably later this year, I'm going to go back and do a SL1 run on Demon's Souls. I've gotten the itch to play it yet again.

Dyni wrote:

Cool I'll watch that one.

I think next time I get into a dry game period, probably later this year, I'm going to go back and do a SL1 run on Demon's Souls. I've gotten the itch to play it yet again.

Ooooh... I haven't done that on DeS, only on DaS.

That made me play DeS again. I am rusty. Then again I only played DeS once. I never put the time into it like I did DS. Might look up some builds and see how I want to try to tackle it again. I really enjoyed my bow run on DS. I wonder if it is just as reliable on DeS?

Oops! Wrong souls game.

The Dragon God is down. I had a much easier time with the second archstone than the first. Probably just getting reacquainted with the controls. I didn't realize they patched Flamelurkers tracking. He was much easier when you could hide in the rib cage. Still only took me three attempts though.

Is there no shortcut to the Flamelurker? That run to him was tough.

I haven't played in such a long time. I think the shortcut to Flamelurker is just jumping down the pit. It is a pretty risky jump down the pit but there's plenty of items to get along the way.

My favorite build was a Luck build with the Blue Blood Sword. As far as I know it is the only Luck based weapon and it is pretty awesome in terms of power. I have no idea if PVP is still going on in the game but I'm pretty sure the BBS is terrible in terms of an effective PVP build.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

I haven't played in such a long time. I think the shortcut to Flamelurker is just jumping down the pit. It is a pretty risky jump down the pit but there's plenty of items to get along the way.

Yep, that is indeed the shortcut to Flamelurker. It's very fast once you know your way down, but you might die a few times trying to figure it out.

If you run out of healing items does that mean you are playing good or poorly? I don't remember ever having this issue on my previous play through.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

If you run out of healing items does that mean you are playing good or poorly? I don't remember ever having this issue on my previous play through.

It probably means you haven't been farming.

I hoarded the items in case I ever needed them. Around NG+5 I started using them because it was faster. I still tried to not get crazy though because what if I ever really "needed" them.

Honestly you're probably fine if you've only completed a few areas. If you are about to take on the final bosses of each area you may want to stock up by farming.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

If you run out of healing items does that mean you are playing good or poorly? I don't remember ever having this issue on my previous play through.

It probably means you haven't been farming.

It could also mean that you've just been playing primarily in areas that don't drop many healing items. Healing items drop like candy from just about every enemy in World 1. If you are getting low, just try to make some progress in World 1, and you will inevitably end up with piles of grass. Farming really shouldn't be necessary if you're not dying constantly.

Dyni wrote:
Gimpy_Butzke wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

If you run out of healing items does that mean you are playing good or poorly? I don't remember ever having this issue on my previous play through.

It probably means you haven't been farming.

It could also mean that you've just been playing primarily in areas that don't drop many healing items. Healing items drop like candy from just about every enemy in World 1. If you are getting low, just try to make some progress in World 1, and you will inevitably end up with piles of grass. Farming really shouldn't be necessary if you're not dying constantly.

This is what I did. I loaded up 1-1 and wiped out everything up to the 1-3 boss minus that final damned red eye night.

I was hoping to free Yuria tonight. I guess it will have to wait until morning.

I also took out Fools Idol. That was really easy with a bow.

Edit: If I forgot to save Ostrava in 1-2 is he going to show up again, or did I leave him to die?

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

I haven't played in such a long time. I think the shortcut to Flamelurker is just jumping down the pit. It is a pretty risky jump down the pit but there's plenty of items to get along the way.

My favorite build was a Luck build with the Blue Blood Sword. As far as I know it is the only Luck based weapon and it is pretty awesome in terms of power. I have no idea if PVP is still going on in the game but I'm pretty sure the BBS is terrible in terms of an effective PVP build.

BBS was my favorite weapon/build too. The side effect to having a luck-based build is rapidly hitting the cap on how many of each drop you can pick up. Sadly, it only increases the drop rate and has no impact on the quality of the items dropped.

And yes, it's terribad for PvP.

After trying two bow builds I have come to the conclusion that you can't have a bow only build in DeS. You can have a bow as you primary, but there are two things that prevent you (me) from making a bow only build. The main is equip burden. Arrows have weight so that really limits the number you can carry. The other is that arrows are much more expensive. The cheapest I have found are 10 souls, which is three times as expensive as Dark Souls cheapest arrows.

You can have a bow as your primary weapon, but It's going to be hard to bow only the game.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

After trying two bow builds I have come to the conclusion that you can't have a bow only build in DeS. You can have a bow as you primary, but there are two things that prevent you (me) from making a bow only build. The main is equip burden. Arrows have weight so that really limits the number you can carry. The other is that arrows are much more expensive. The cheapest I have found are 10 souls, which is three times as expensive as Dark Souls cheapest arrows.

You can have a bow as your primary weapon, but It's going to be hard to bow only the game.

I did a bow only-ish character. The downsides are as you described but I believe I did it with whatever class starts with either a bow or a knife. The bow was to weaken enemies as they approach then you switch to the knife for close quarters.

I defeated every boss with a bow only and it was surprisingly easy. To have a truly bow only character does not seem impossible but incredibly time consuming and mind numbing.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

After trying two bow builds I have come to the conclusion that you can't have a bow only build in DeS. You can have a bow as you primary, but there are two things that prevent you (me) from making a bow only build. The main is equip burden. Arrows have weight so that really limits the number you can carry. The other is that arrows are much more expensive. The cheapest I have found are 10 souls, which is three times as expensive as Dark Souls cheapest arrows.

You can have a bow as your primary weapon, but It's going to be hard to bow only the game.

I did a bow only-ish character. The downsides are as you described but I believe I did it with whatever class starts with either a bow or a knife. The bow was to weaken enemies as they approach then you switch to the knife for close quarters.

I defeated every boss with a bow only and it was surprisingly easy. To have a truly bow only character does not seem impossible but incredibly time consuming and mind numbing.

I've been doing that exact thing. Weaken from a distance and kill up close. On my second character I have killed all the bosses I've fought with a bow except for Phalanx. The reason he got firebombed is because I didn't start wit the archer. I knew I was going to be doing a DEX build, so I started with the class with the highest..

Is there a good DEX melee weapon? Right now I have the Falchion that is picked up in 4-1. It is doing okay damage, but I'm sure there is something that can do better.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

Is there a good DEX melee weapon? Right now I have the Falchion that is picked up in 4-1. It is doing okay damage, but I'm sure there is something that can do better.

There are quite a few good dex weapons, so you can go many routes. Just make sure you upgrade along the Sharp path. That's where your dex scaling is going to come from.

You can get an Estoc in 3-1 or an Uchigatana in 4-1. The Hiltless is a good weapon, but it takes Colorless Demon's Souls to upgrade, so you might want to stay away unless you are planning to thoroughly explore and research the World Tendency system.

Dyni wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

Is there a good DEX melee weapon? Right now I have the Falchion that is picked up in 4-1. It is doing okay damage, but I'm sure there is something that can do better.

There are quite a few good dex weapons, so you can go many routes. Just make sure you upgrade along the Sharp path. That's where your dex scaling is going to come from.

You can get an Estoc in 3-1 or an Uchigatana in 4-1. The Hiltless is a good weapon, but it takes Colorless Demon's Souls to upgrade, so you might want to stay away unless you are planning to thoroughly explore and research the World Tendency system.

I picked up the Uchi, too. It didn't do as much damage as the Falchoin. The Uchi is vanilla and the Falchion is upgraded, though. I'll have to play with it.

Looks like I can get one of those Souls by trading with Sparkly. I already have the talisman, and I don't think I'll be using faith any.

Can you effect the world tendency when you are online? I heard it can really only be done by going offline. There are a lot of things I haven't seen because I never played with this. I always wanted Miralda's armor, but I was never able to get to that area.

Tendency stuff is truly best done offline, it's virtually impossible to control online.

Dakuna wrote:

Tendency stuff is truly best done offline, it's virtually impossible to control online.

True dat.

Yeah, and also, better to kill your character (suicide) while in the Nexus (jump form the higher ramparts) so as not to inadvertently turn a world's tendency darker if you're shooting for pure white.

Since dying while human in a world turns a world's tendency darker by 1 degree, while dying while hollow does nothing, it is better to do undead runs. The Nexus has no tendency.