Demon's Souls - Catch All

@Dyni and AndrewA

To be fair, the game was chock full of b*stards!

Spoiler:

The wandering Black Phantoms in 5-1 came as a particularly unwelcome suprise as I battle the effects of poison and club-wielding giant Goblins (which are up there with RDR's zombie bears in the pantheon of unnecessariness, in my opinion

It makes you wonder what they're going to unleash on us in Dark Souls. I'm guessing that they'll have reams of data from Demons Souls because of the automatic online feature. Am I alone in thinking that they'll be using some of this against us in the new game?

The element that I really want them to carry over from Demons Souls is the pacing. I loved the fact that every engagement had to be carefully considered before it was entered into. Weapons. Positioning. Initial advsersay. Second adversary. Escape routes. Etc. So many engagements in modern games are decided simply by choosing the largest weapon with the most ammo, and then rushing in all guns blazing (something I blame Doom for, btw).

Actually, I'd like them to carry over one more element: no option to select difficulty. I loved the fact that - though there were easier combat/cheesing options - every opponent always brought their A-Game. I really hope other game designers learn from and adopt this approach. (And I speak as someone shameless/shamefully limping through Mass Effect 2 on 'Easy'.)

Even as I type, I realise that I'd like one more thing to carry over: trophies that are earned by requiring players to do more than complete a level. I know that both Sony and MS require all their games to require trophies or achievements in order to increase their 'stickiness'. However, it was really refreshing to play a game that set out its stall and made gaining Platinum a job-of-work. Whenever I come across someone on PSN who has DS Platinum, I pour a little (very little, in fact) of my vodka and coke on the ground...

Better quality: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...

I'm drooling so hard right now...

Time for a new catch-all?

If I wasn't sold before (which I was), then I am now. Now to decide between PS3 and 360. If the game performs the same on both systems, I think 360 it will be, simply for the far superior voice chat and party options.

ahrezmendi wrote:

If I wasn't sold before (which I was), then I am now. Now to decide between PS3 and 360. If the game performs the same on both systems, I think 360 it will be, simply for the far superior voice chat and party options.

If they actually make it reasonably easy to party up with friends this time, I'll probably go 360 as well. It would be a lot of fun to run through the game with a group of you guys without hassle.

LOOK AT THAT GIANT BIRD! It says 2011. I think that is now my most anticipated game of the year, unless Last Guardian somehow makes it.

Good advice all, ta

As luck would have it I went with the Royal already (the mana regen bracelet seemed like a smart move).
Still not managed to beat that red-eyed knight on 1-1, but his time will come

Dyni wrote:

LOOK AT THAT GIANT BIRD! It says 2011. I think that is now my most anticipated game of the year, unless Last Guardian somehow makes it.

Ditto, though I had completely forgotten about Last Guardian until you mentioned it. At least there's plenty to tide us all over until the end of this year, which is when I expect this will actually launch.

stevenmack wrote:

Still not managed to beat that red-eyed knight on 1-1, but his time will come :mad:

I beat him much, much later into the game. He's purely optional. I think I was at least soul level 50 before I could reliably down him.

Dyni wrote:

Time for a new catch-all?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Threads like this and the Demon's Souls Let's Play series have me aching to play Demon's Souls, but I only have a 360, and getting a PS3 is not an option. I'm struggling to think of 360 games that have the same sense of place, mood, and danger about engagements. The only ones I can think of are Oblivion (different type of game) and Fable II (much more lighthearted, doesn't have the same sense of danger about fights). What suggestions do you have that are comparable to Demon's Souls on the 360?

Well, Dark Souls will be on the 360 too. And that's out this holiday season.

But I need something now!

And yes, I'm definitely excited for Dark Souls.

snorlax789 wrote:

What suggestions do you have that are comparable to Demon's Souls on the 360?

You could repeatedly crush your genitals with a 360 controller. That might approximate the experience.

AndrewA wrote:
snorlax789 wrote:

What suggestions do you have that are comparable to Demon's Souls on the 360?

You could repeatedly crush your genitals with a 360 controller. That might approximate the experience.

+1

I don't think there are any games for the 360 or PS3 (or PC) that are comparable to Demon's Souls. It is a unique beast. Either find someway to play it for PS3 or wait patiently for Dark Souls.

snorlax789 wrote:

Threads like this and the Demon's Souls Let's Play series have me aching to play Demon's Souls, but I only have a 360, and getting a PS3 is not an option. I'm struggling to think of 360 games that have the same sense of place, mood, and danger about engagements. The only ones I can think of are Oblivion (different type of game) and Fable II (much more lighthearted, doesn't have the same sense of danger about fights). What suggestions do you have that are comparable to Demon's Souls on the 360?

Viva Pinata maybe? On a more serious note, maybe Nier.

This game is pretty damn annoying and interesting at the same time.

Played area 3-1 today, getting all the way to the boss without any deaths. I was so proud.
Then I realized I only had one healing herb on me. Not good. I had to try anyway, and got the boss down to 50% running around like a chicken with a sliver of health. Aand down I go.
Oh well, should be able to restock some healing herbs and get back soon enough, I thought.

Since then I've died 5 times trying to just get back to the boss. Argh.

Shadout wrote:

This game is pretty damn annoying and interesting at the same time.

Played area 3-1 today, getting all the way to the boss without any deaths. I was so proud.
Then I realized I only had one healing herb on me. Not good. I had to try anyway, and got the boss down to 50% running around like a chicken with a sliver of health. Aand down I go.
Oh well, should be able to restock some healing herbs and get back soon enough, I thought.

Since then I've died 5 times trying to just get back to the boss. Argh.

If you're early in the game, re-running through 1-1 is always a good source of herbs.

I finally got back to this last week. I am now the proud owner of a single, soul-crushing (that's right, I went there) platinum trophy. It took 3.5 playthroughs and some assistance from casual_alcoholic.

124 glorious hours later, I think I'm finally done with this game... but only 4 months for Dark Souls

Dyni wrote:

I finally got back to this last week. I am now the proud owner of a single, soul-crushing (that's right, I went there) platinum trophy. It took 3.5 playthroughs and some assistance from casual_alcoholic.

124 glorious hours later, I think I'm finally done with this game... but only 4 months for Dark Souls :)

THAT is impressive. Congrats. As someone who used to get a few Platinum trophies, I would not have picked that game to get one.

Dyni wrote:

I finally got back to this last week. I am now the proud owner of a single, soul-crushing (that's right, I went there) platinum trophy. It took 3.5 playthroughs and some assistance from casual_alcoholic.

124 glorious hours later, I think I'm finally done with this game... but only 4 months for Dark Souls :)

Gratz! It's a good feeling. Also had no idea Dark Souls was only 4 months away. That's kind of awesome.

Gratz on the Platinum. I'm so rusty now I don't know if I could get it. I really thought I was going to for a while there, but missed the opportunity for some easy trades with people when I was in level range. Ugh.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

THAT is impressive. Congrats. As someone who used to get a few Platinum trophies, I would not have picked that game to get one. ;)

The only reason I bothered was because of how much I enjoyed the game. I'm not an achievement guy in general, but I never once got bored of it. Plus, I thought it would be kind of hilarious for that to be my one and only platinum

Stele wrote:

Gratz on the Platinum. I'm so rusty now I don't know if I could get it. I really thought I was going to for a while there, but missed the opportunity for some easy trades with people when I was in level range. Ugh.

I think you'd be surprised at how easy it is to pick back up. My last 1.5 playthroughs went by unbelievably quickly because I was already using the final equipment set I was going to need. All of world 5 took me less than 30 minutes because you can so easily just run past everything in that stupid swamp.

I still have all of the trophy weapons casual_alcoholic left with me for trade, which is almost all of them. It would really just hinge on your desire to grind out the soul levels needed to trade. I think I ended at SL 166, and you'd probably end up close to that just playing enough to get all of the required souls for spells and miracles.

Oh yeah you do have to buy all the boss-soul stuff on multiple runs. Hm. Maybe I'll fire it up this weekend and see how bad I suck.

Well it took me almost a month, after I finished up Platinum on Infamous, started NCAA Football 12, and between my Spiral Knights addiction, and City of Heroes return...

but I finally started up Demon's Souls again today. I feel so lost. I have no idea where my progress left off, how many bosses I've killed, what souls I have or need to collect... I feel so overwhelmed.

I did manage to go into 1-1 and slaughter some things and get my feel for the controls back. But damn, I know I would suck if I tried anything harder.

Going to have to reread some wiki stuff and go check the gates for each world and figure out where exactly I stand.

SL 85 though. So still a ways to go before I am close enough to do weapon trades.

EDIT: Hm, looks like I only have 5-3 and 1-4 left to do. And I might have PWT going, hard to tell. Could be 1 away from it. Looks like there's a PWT event in 5-3, so I should focus on that for my next thing. Then look at whether I should do PBT before finishing the game. Man, didn't realize I was so close.

Stele wrote:

Well it took me almost a month, after I finished up Platinum on Infamous, started NCAA Football 12, and between my Spiral Knights addiction, and City of Heroes return...

but I finally started up Demon's Souls again today. I feel so lost. I have no idea where my progress left off, how many bosses I've killed, what souls I have or need to collect... I feel so overwhelmed.

I did manage to go into 1-1 and slaughter some things and get my feel for the controls back. But damn, I know I would suck if I tried anything harder.

Going to have to reread some wiki stuff and go check the gates for each world and figure out where exactly I stand.

SL 85 though. So still a ways to go before I am close enough to do weapon trades.

EDIT: Hm, looks like I only have 5-3 and 1-4 left to do. And I might have PWT going, hard to tell. Could be 1 away from it. Looks like there's a PWT event in 5-3, so I should focus on that for my next thing. Then look at whether I should do PBT before finishing the game. Man, didn't realize I was so close.

5-3 is sooooooooooo easy.

casual_alcoholic wrote:

5-3 is sooooooooooo easy.

You were not kidding.

So now I have to figure out what I'm still missing. I think I need PWT event on world 5. But others I'm just not sure about. Have to check my inventory and see what items I have and try to piece together what I have completed. EDIT: Yeah after completing world 5-3/5-2's event, I checked my inventory and I appear to have all PWT finished.

I know I don't have any PBT stuff, but probably should try to get it before NG+. I guess I should use the Second Chance miracle to make the switching to PBT easier right?

Huh. So I took out the dragon on 1-4. But I guess I can't beat the level or I'll be funneled into the end game?

Switched world 1 to PBT. After connecting online it only took 5 revive/deaths with ephemeral eyes. Looks like I still have 30 of those (usually play in soul form), so I can do this for every world. The interesting part looks like I have to beat 1-1 all the way through 1-3 or killing the named phantom or primeval will kick world tendency back white? Am I reading that right?

If I beat 1-1 killing the phantom and go back to the nexus I'll have to revive/die 3 more times to get back to black?

Think it's worth it for the colorless souls but I just want to do it with the minimum loss of items possible.

Stele wrote:

Huh. So I took out the dragon on 1-4. But I guess I can't beat the level or I'll be funneled into the end game?

Switched world 1 to PBT. After connecting online it only took 5 revive/deaths with ephemeral eyes. Looks like I still have 30 of those (usually play in soul form), so I can do this for every world. The interesting part looks like I have to beat 1-1 all the way through 1-3 or killing the named phantom or primeval will kick world tendency back white? Am I reading that right?

If I beat 1-1 killing the phantom and go back to the nexus I'll have to revive/die 3 more times to get back to black?

Think it's worth it for the colorless souls but I just want to do it with the minimum loss of items possible.

Well, keep in mind Tendency only sets when you return to the Nexus and restart the level. As long as you do both things without going back to the Nexus you won't have to set it then bring it down again. Dying won't reset it either, you can die 1000 times but as long as you don't return to Nexus the world tendency won't change.

Well that was some bullsh*t. Killed the primeval on 1-3 and no colorless soul dropped.

Looking at the wiki, it says this is possible.

wiki wrote:

In the event that the Primeval Demon does not drop a Colorless Demon's Soul when killed, the game should not save itself and, thus, the player may immediately load his or her file and kill it again, repeating until one is obtained.

So I stared at the screen kinda dumbfouned at my bad luck. Re-read that page on the wiki. Hit start, went to load game, saw the little save icon working as I hit it and when I reloaded nothing was there. No demon, no soul.

...

Finished world 2 PBT events. And defeating Scirvir to get the Talisman of Beasts is something I should have done a long time ago!

Magic and Miracles with the same item? Yes please.

Kinda makes me wish I hadn't used a boss soul for my Insanity Catalyst a while back. The MP penalty makes it not worth using most of the time. And apparently if you put enough points into magic/faith both the ToB will out-magic the Insanity.

Think enough people have the weapons to trade/hold around here that I could maybe get platinum on just 3 playthroughs if I had focused on spells/miracles and ignored the weapons for those couple that have 4 uses. Still think it's a little unbalanced that some boss souls have 4 uses while others only have 1, with a smattering in-between at 2-3. Would have been nice if they had given 2-3 uses to everything and not made you start an extra NG+++ just for 2 bosses.

Anyway took a few minutes to craft all the crap I had, and managed to get one trophy, and get within 1 upgrade of two others. Actually have the pure chunks I need for those, just missing the large ones. Imagine I'll stumble into a couple more during NG without farming much.

Just a couple more PBT events to finish and then I can actually beat 1-4 and the game for once.

Stele wrote:

Finished world 2 PBT events. And defeating Scirvir to get the Talisman of Beasts is something I should have done a long time ago!

Magic and Miracles with the same item? Yes please.

Kinda makes me wish I hadn't used a boss soul for my Insanity Catalyst a while back. The MP penalty makes it not worth using most of the time. And apparently if you put enough points into magic/faith both the ToB will out-magic the Insanity.

Think enough people have the weapons to trade/hold around here that I could maybe get platinum on just 3 playthroughs if I had focused on spells/miracles and ignored the weapons for those couple that have 4 uses. Still think it's a little unbalanced that some boss souls have 4 uses while others only have 1, with a smattering in-between at 2-3. Would have been nice if they had given 2-3 uses to everything and not made you start an extra NG+++ just for 2 bosses.

Anyway took a few minutes to craft all the crap I had, and managed to get one trophy, and get within 1 upgrade of two others. Actually have the pure chunks I need for those, just missing the large ones. Imagine I'll stumble into a couple more during NG without farming much. Just a couple more PBT events to finish and then I can actually beat 1-4 and the game for once.

Dyni is your best bet, I think he's closer to your level than I am. Also my PS3 is broken. Maybe send him a PM and see if he'll help?