When you cry manly tears of manliness

Battlestar Galactica: The episode called The Passage involving Kat.

EDIT: Especially the part with Adama and the

nevermind, I'm tearing up thinking about it. Stupid actors being awesome.

Battlestar got me on numerous occasions. Not sure why (because it's awesome, not sad) but I get a little teary every time I watch the season 3 finale. Five times viewed, five times blinkathon.

Also I saw this Japanese movie Casshern that blindsided me at the very end. I'm pretty convinced that it was the amazing score rather than the actual plot, though.

If we're talking Battlestar Galactica, I'm going with Scar. Specifically the end, where Starbuck, after joking that she forgets all the dead pilots, raises a glass and salutes them all by name and can't continue.

BSG was infamous for getting me with that one piece of score that had the Irish Pennywhistle / Bagpipes bit. Didn't matter what was happening, although it was usually an emotionally charged moment already, but damn that music.

Most wrote:

The ending of Heat.

gets me every time.

Now, this is manly!

NSMike wrote:

BSG was infamous for getting me with that one piece of score that had the Irish Pennywhistle / Bagpipes bit. Didn't matter what was happening, although it was usually an emotionally charged moment already, but damn that music.

Yeah, they would usually play that tune alongside Adama father-son military moments or big dramatic speeches. Bear the Composer knows his stuff, that's for sure.

Clemenstation wrote:

Battlestar got me on numerous occasions. Not sure why (because it's awesome, not sad)

Actually in general the awesome is much more likely to tear me up than the sad. It's the deep feel good moments that get me, like the Majestic speech, or the speech the President gives in Independence Day before they launch the last attack, or the speech to the world the President in Armageddon gives.

The only entirely sad thing I can ever remember crying to is Deep Impact when the now-blind astronaut is saying good bye to the newborn son he will never see.

I wouldn't say 'cry,' but I definitely get pretty emotional during the car chase in The Bourne Supremacy, when Bourne and the Russian asset make eye contact. The fact that there's no dialogue between them at all probably is what does it.

Oh, I mentioned The Visitor in DS9, but there was also the finale of DS9. I mean, they wrote that thing to pull at heartstrings.

Marsman wrote:
lostlobster wrote:

Since becoming a father, I've become a lot more emotional at stupid, surprising things like commercials with dads playing with their daughters, etc.

Same here. And those damn country songs about a father and their little girls. I hold my Lil'Bean and cry. She's all confused and says, "It's OK daddy."

Then I have to go beat the dog or something to reinstate my manliness.

This happens to me a lot too. Hurting little kids has me both crying and raging at the same time. I could kill Governator with a single finger at that moment.

Most of my moments - LoTR, Firefly, Lion King - have already been mentioned, so here's another one: Finding Nemo, the scene where the father believes Nemo is dead. And then the one where they meet again. I've seen it two dozen times and well up every time. Even more so since I've become a father. I've seen the movie for the first time in a theatre full of kids and the whole theatre was sobbing at that scene, some very loudly. Not me, of course, I'm a man, goddamit, where's my beer?!

Count me in for Up. Also, I recently watched all of Six Feet Under for the first time. I cried like a baby through most of the last episode. Especially the final dinner party with the whole family gathered around the table, and then the montage as Claire drives away.

The one book that always gets me is the end of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Every time.

Sheazy wrote:

Count me in for Up. Also, I recently watched all of Six Feet Under for the first time. I cried like a baby through most of the last episode. Especially the final dinner party with the whole family gathered around the table, and then the montage as Claire drives away.

Oh yeah, that montage sequence is hella mweepy.

This:

wanderingtaoist wrote:

Most of my moments - LoTR, Firefly, Lion King - have already been mentioned, so here's another one: Finding Nemo, the scene where the father believes Nemo is dead. And then the one where they meet again. I've seen it two dozen times and well up every time. Even more so since I've become a father. I've seen the movie for the first time in a theatre full of kids and the whole theatre was sobbing at that scene, some very loudly. Not me, of course, I'm a man, goddamit, where's my beer?!

Yeah, Finding Nemo has really deepend for me since having a child. But, even before that, the other scene that always got me was Dori's breaking down and starting to forget everything when Marlin leaves her. Amazing voice acting by Ellen DeGeneres there (especially, as they say on the commentary track, because she did it on the first take).

And Up, hell yes. Good friends of mine have tried for years to have a baby and only recently have been made to understand that she is unable to conceive. Made me think of them, and of how fortunate we are to have our daughter and... *blubbers*

Sheazy wrote:

Count me in for Up. Also, I recently watched all of Six Feet Under for the first time. I cried like a baby through most of the last episode. Especially the final dinner party with the whole family gathered around the table, and then the montage as Claire drives away.

I was about to post this and decided to read so that I was not a dirty skimmer. Good move, apparently.

The thing is, for about six months afterwards, the piece of music they played over the last montage of Six Feet Under (Breathe Me by Sia) made me start sobbing too, because I just started remembering with startling clarity the last bit where they basically re-establish the over arching theme of the series - the fleeting nature of life.

I'm so glad other people cried the whole way through Up! I thought I was emotionally damaged in some way.

You know a weird show that made me cry? The last episode of Star Trek Enterprise. But then again, I quite liked the show, which is unusual in and of itself.

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

You know a weird show that made me cry? The last episode of Star Trek Enterprise. But then again, I quite liked the show, which is unusual in and of itself.

I kind of had a mweepy (short for man-weepy) moment during the final montage with Picard and Kirk's Enterprises, like it suddenly hit me that there'd never be a new Star Trek series on television again, that the (mostly) great ride we'd been on since TNG premiered in '87 was over.

Yeah, that made me feel really sad. I had to sit there for a second and stare at the credits. I had such a crazy reaction when Riker turned around just before the credits rolled at the beginning (it was a bit Trekky). I shouted WHAT and stared with my mouth open whilst he deactivated the holo chamber. And then I ran to get my brother and replayed it shouting WHAT?! and pointing at the screen.

He'd already seen it, so he wasn't as impressed. But that last episode was probably one of the best episodes of the entire series.

I'll add another vote for The Lion King. Also for the ending of Pan's Labyrinth.
I never used to cry during any movie, but it seems that my heart has softened a bit over time.

Though there may have been earlier incidents, my first memory of crying at a movie was definitely the sickness/'death' scene in E.T. where the kids first find the poor little guy all washed-out pale and unconscious at the drainage ditch, followed by the agonizing fade to black sequence with Elliot and E.T. on their gurneys back at the house.

Looking back, it was a stroke of genius that The Government encapsulated the house ala 'The Boy In The Plastic Bubble', donning germ-free space suits to treat E.T. ...Talk about an inverse lens on the whole identity of the stereotypical evil-alien vs. who the real villain can be.

Side note bonus:

E.T. released theatrically in the summer of 1982, when I had just turned the wee age of 13. My parents took me to the show, but after getting our seats, I went to the concession stand solo to get some popcorn and a soda.

Standing in line in front of me was the most beautiful girl (my age) that I'd ever seen, at least that's how the memory plays out. The line was pretty long, so I spent the next 15-20 minutes chatting this girl up. A first for me.

While nothing came of it, I think I fell in love on the spot.

It's funny how sometimes the smallest things stay with you decades later.

Rat Boy wrote:

This:

That got me too.

The beginning of Up made me lose it. Pixar does some of the best story telling.

The end of Big Fish and when rudy runs out of the tunnel in Rudy always get to me.

Aaron D. wrote:

Though there may have been earlier incidents, my first memory of crying at a movie was definitely the sickness/'death' scene in E.T. where the kids first find the poor little guy all washed-out pale and unconscious at the drainage ditch, followed by the agonizing fade to black sequence with Elliot and E.T. on their gurneys back at the house.

This was my first memory of crying at a movie too. My parents rented it when I was very young and I remember bawling my eyes out when E.T. was lying there all pale.

I cried a bit when Steve Yzerman retired and a bit more when his jersey was retired.

I also get choked up when Wall-E goes dead and Eve tries to save him, every damn time.

This thread kind of compels in me the desire to make hot cocoa and give reassuring hugs.
There, there, my dears.

Amoebic wrote:

This thread kind of compels in me the desire to make hot cocoa and give reassuring hugs.
There, there, my dears.

That's not very manly.

St.Hillary wrote:
Amoebic wrote:

This thread kind of compels in me the desire to make hot cocoa and give reassuring hugs.
There, there, my dears.

That's not very manly.

That's because Amoebic is incapable of crying man tears.

FSeven wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

This:

That got me too.

Thirded. I blamed hay fever, but my girlfriend was on to me. She knows me too well.

+1 for Grave of the Fireflies
Already mentioned it in the 'This won't end well' thread so I omitted it before. Very hard to watch, but an excellent movie.

Does that bit in Good Will Hunting get anyone else a bit choked up?

1. Animal Cops shows. Whenever they show animals that have been abused to nearly the point of death (and sometimes, sadly, beyond that point).

2. That Plan USA commercial with Laurie Metcalf (of Roseanne fame) where they talk about the little boy whose parents were killed and all he has left is an elderly grandmother and his four younger brothers whom he has to take care of. Really heartbreaking and makes me sad I have no way of being able to help.

First movie to make me weep was probably 'The Champ' when around 12'ish years old.

Then came the manly teens and 20's where crying was just not on. These days, I'm less bothered and if a show/movie moves me to have a tear rolling down my cheek, so be it. I find it the mark of a good piece of entertainment.