When you cry manly tears of manliness

Grenn wrote:

You think that's bad? Rewind and listen to Nick Jonas as Marius. He might be a good singer, but its just sad to hear him next to every single powerhouse next to him.

Next to Michael Ball, everyone seems inadequate.

Just about cried sitting at my desk.

So a love, a loathe, and some misty eyes driving home.

Love. I have a firm job opportunity for after I pass the bar. I am working as a research fellow for a professor. He just threw a new contract my way at a great pay rate for some pending litigation. He was open to me working for his Record label after I take the bar, managing the business, growing it. His partner is in declining health and they both are getting on in years.

With any luck I will be working for the label, but doing so from elsewhere-Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Chicago, and DC are high on that list. I can do better work with copyright living nearer a circuit court. I have other connections in Milwaukee, and my Fiancee/Wife would like to finish her grad degree at Marquette.

The loathe was explaining the reason for why I was hesitant to become a member of the Michigan Bar. If I need to for the job, I will. But the prospect of having my professional information made public, for my crazy family to stalk me scares me. My mother tried to submarine me with the Dean of the law school earlier in the year.
The pain of stating that, the embarrassment of having to state it, and all of that making clear the reality that I cannot entertain ever seeing my parents or my brother again really brought me down. I drove home from my meeting teary eyed. In many ways it was not until that moment that I realized my family must be dead to me, lest I suffer a serious loss. My mother made claims and lies in e-mails that could get me indicted, investigated, disbarred.

I bought 2 bottles at the liquor store. Macallan scotch to celebrate, Jeremiah Weed Bourbon to mourn.

After dinner I took 3 belts of the bourbon for the 3 deaths. I ran some errands. When I got home I celebrated moving forward in my career with a double of scotch and a nice churchill cigar.

Is there any way that you could have a file of proof showing that your family is batsh*t insane/crazy and that any of their comments are not to be taken with any sort of seriousness?

mudbunny wrote:

Is there any way that you could have a file of proof showing that your family is batsh*t insane/crazy and that any of their comments are not to be taken with any sort of seriousness?

In a lot of ways no and in others yes. When your integrity, ethics get called into question like that the reputation damage is done with the allegation and then the investigation whether or not there are repercussions.

There are a lot of reasons attorneys get investigated-fee disputes with clients, allegations that an attorney failed to do their job in a lost case or where an outcome was not favorable, etc. The more you are complained against, especially early in a career, the more scrutiny you work under.

This is doubly tough because due to former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's crimes, the Michigan Bar has stepped up to some of the strictest ethics requirements in the nation.

There is not any evidence, but if I can avoid getting close to a rabid dog, I will; it does not matter if there is a vaccine for rabies. Much of it comes down to not wanting to invite even baseless attacks into my life. It is basically like treating my family like a stalker ex.

Another possibility is that I become the member of the bar in another state, but remain in the area to practice. Copyright is largely federal work. It would depend if my services would be needed in state courts.

KingGorilla wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

Is there any way that you could have a file of proof showing that your family is batsh*t insane/crazy and that any of their comments are not to be taken with any sort of seriousness?

In a lot of ways no and in others yes. When your integrity, ethics get called into question like that the reputation damage is done with the allegation and then the investigation whether or not there are repercussions.
< snip >

No idea if this is actually a good idea, but are there legal options to keep your family at arm's length? Restraining orders? Would having one of those on-file go some way to preempt damage further down the line?

NSMike wrote:
momgamer wrote:

RubbED just put this one up on Twitter, and between this and Elysium's article, it's mighty dusty in here.

Colm Wilkinson is so overrated and so outclassed by the three guys whom I do not know in that video.

Give Colm a break, he's in his late 60s. He's not exactly in his vocal prime.

However, I will agree that at least 2 of the other 3 outclass him. John Owen-Jones (Valjean #2) is amazing, and Alfie Boe (Valjean #4) apparently has a much higher range than I knew about. Simon Bowman (Valjean #3)... eh. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I rather prefer the other two.

Edit to add: KG, dumb question, but would changing your name help prevent your family from finding you? I know it's a pain in the butt, but if it'd do the trick it may be worth it.

Rubb Ed wrote:
NSMike wrote:
momgamer wrote:

RubbED just put this one up on Twitter, and between this and Elysium's article, it's mighty dusty in here.

Colm Wilkinson is so overrated and so outclassed by the three guys whom I do not know in that video.

Give Colm a break, he's in his late 60s. He's not exactly in his vocal prime.

However, I will agree that at least 2 of the other 3 outclass him. John Owen-Jones (Valjean #2) is amazing, and Alfie Boe (Valjean #4) apparently has a much higher range than I knew about. Simon Bowman (Valjean #3)... eh. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I rather prefer the other two.

Edit to add: KG, dumb question, but would changing your name help prevent your family from finding you? I know it's a pain in the butt, but if it'd do the trick it may be worth it.

I would agree with your assessment, except Colm Wilkinson was ALWAYS that bad.

So there is plenty of controversy about the Radiolab episode where they interview Hmong refugees and hence it might be fashionable to internet-rage against them, but.. in the episode aired on 22nd October, they interview 2 individuals who went blind after many years of having vision. A question posed to one of those men is what is his perspective on having a child and the answer made the train carriage I was in awfully dusty.

PS: I cannot believe that even a show like Radiolab has internet trolls in the comments

RubbEd wrote:

Edit to add: KG, dumb question, but would changing your name help prevent your family from finding you? I know it's a pain in the butt, but if it'd do the trick it may be worth it.

This might be the ticket to freedom from crazy parents. That and perhaps a restraining order, as mentioned previously.

Also, KG, you should totally look at moving to Ohio. Cinnci's a pretty awesome area.

I just lost my friend. She's the one on the left. The saddest part is she was my son's best friend and he's too young to remember her.

IMAGE(http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/apspittles/Tippy%20-%20The%20amazing%20Wonderdog/2012-08-16132250.jpg)

*hug Prozac* Oohh what a sweetie. I am so sorry.

Prozac - so sorry to hear that.

Just buried my dog. Nothing manly about it. Just big sobs.

Nothing wrong with that, Prozac. *HUGS* from here.

Made me tear up a little bit:

Chuckstrong.

Huh, people are saying nice things and supportive words about be from last month.

Also, shockingly, that Macallan is still half full.

I would not shy away from anyone saying X has a lot of opportunities for a young lawyer. The great thing about a law degree is that you can practice anywhere after you pass the bar. My resume is pretty strong. But I know that in Milwaukee the connections I made will serve me best.

Turns out the folks at Work Ethic Productions, LLC (look em up) are perfectly happy to have me working remotely. And even as a paying gig, living in New York, LA, or DC as a young lawyer paying off his loans would require a bit more than what I would get. I made no issue that if they needed me in Detroit, for purposes of contracts and state litigation issues, I am cool with that. Talking with my wife to be.
"I just let the staff know that anyone claiming to be my mother, father, brother or talking on behalf of them is lying because my family is dead; I do not relish in informing you of this but I had a small issue a few years ago with these impostors."

As for a restraining order, it sounds nice, but I also know how that works. I am not a divorced woman with a husband. I am a big ass man whose mummy scares him. I have not been threatened with violence. Changing my name is not all that prudent. I have degrees under a name, and connections under that name. That last name might get me elected as a judge or a prosecutor some day (it is good to be high on the ballot list).

You could change your name to Aaronson and get even higher on the ballot list though.

Gravey wrote:

You could change your name to Aaronson and get even higher on the ballot list though.

Until he loses to A. A. Aardvarkson.

DAMN YOU, AARDVARKSON!

Sausage? Sausage?!

KingGorilla wrote:

Huh, people are saying nice things and supportive words about be from last month.

Also, shockingly, that Macallan is still half full.

I would not shy away from anyone saying X has a lot of opportunities for a young lawyer. The great thing about a law degree is that you can practice anywhere after you pass the bar. My resume is pretty strong. But I know that in Milwaukee the connections I made will serve me best.

Turns out the folks at Work Ethic Productions, LLC (look em up) are perfectly happy to have me working remotely. And even as a paying gig, living in New York, LA, or DC as a young lawyer paying off his loans would require a bit more than what I would get. I made no issue that if they needed me in Detroit, for purposes of contracts and state litigation issues, I am cool with that. Talking with my wife to be.
"I just let the staff know that anyone claiming to be my mother, father, brother or talking on behalf of them is lying because my family is dead; I do not relish in informing you of this but I had a small issue a few years ago with these impostors."

As for a restraining order, it sounds nice, but I also know how that works. I am not a divorced woman with a husband. I am a big ass man whose mummy scares him. I have not been threatened with violence. Changing my name is not all that prudent. I have degrees under a name, and connections under that name. That last name might get me elected as a judge or a prosecutor some day (it is good to be high on the ballot list).

There are many Goodjers in Chicago. Many. Join us.

Yes...but you are one of them.

Chicago has a lot of appeal. But living in Milwaukee and commuting there when needed has a lot of appeal as well.

Warning, some NSFW language.

KingGorilla wrote:

Yes...but you are one of them.

Chicago has a lot of appeal. But living in Milwaukee and commuting there when needed has a lot of appeal as well.

Fair point. I am a terrible person.

Certis wrote:

Warning, some NSFW language.

ANDRICH!!
When I heard that on The Moth some time ago I was completely gutted. Just seeing that link in here makes me sad.

HedgeWizard wrote:
Certis wrote:

Warning, some NSFW language.

ANDRICH!!
When I heard that on The Moth some time ago I was completely gutted. Just seeing that link in here makes me sad.

Remembered it as well from the podcast. Couldn't listen to it again...

Break my heart, why dontcha?