The Official Trading Post

bepnewt wrote:

If anyone has an old Raspberry Pi with WiFi lying around they need to purge on the cheap, let me know. Or Orange Pi. Or whatever other little devices work about the same.

Realistically, I just need a print server to get an old Laser Printer on WiFi on the cheap. I'm familiar with Linux so I gravitated towards the Pis, but I really don't care what it is as long as it will work as a print server. And it's cheap. Clients will be Windows.

-BEP (who is very cheap right now)

Just an FYI that many modern routers now have a USB port and a built-in print server function. Before you spend any money, you may want to check your home router and see if you can just use that.

Or if wiring is an issue (like the router is on a separate floor), something like this should work. They're pretty easy to set up, and you just plug it into the outlet near your printer, connect the ethernet port up, so it will bridge the connection over Wifi.

PurEvil wrote:

Or if wiring is an issue (like the router is on a separate floor), something like this should work. They're pretty easy to set up, and you just plug it into the outlet near your printer, connect the ethernet port up, so it will bridge the connection over Wifi.

I have a pair of these I am not using if this is the route you decide to go, Bep.

Dominic Knight wrote:
PurEvil wrote:

Or if wiring is an issue (like the router is on a separate floor), something like this should work. They're pretty easy to set up, and you just plug it into the outlet near your printer, connect the ethernet port up, so it will bridge the connection over Wifi.

I have a pair of these I am not using if this is the route you decide to go, Bep.

Just want add that have also found powerline to be a really useful tool for getting WiFi to odd parts of my house. I have some that you ran an ethernet cord out of plug-in, and I some that actually just pump out another WiFi signal.

For something like a printer, either can work fine, but running a cord is probably better. But we have issues getting WiFi into our bedroom, so a WiFi solution is better, so we can each connect our phones and tablets. The big downside of the WiFi is that it is a separate signal from your router. It will have its own IP and password. An adapter that you can run a cable out of is good for a PC or printer.

I've considered upgrading to a mesh network, but it's just our bedroom that ever needs extra help, and a mesh network seems like overkill.

Jayhawker wrote:
Dominic Knight wrote:
PurEvil wrote:

Or if wiring is an issue (like the router is on a separate floor), something like this should work. They're pretty easy to set up, and you just plug it into the outlet near your printer, connect the ethernet port up, so it will bridge the connection over Wifi.

I have a pair of these I am not using if this is the route you decide to go, Bep.

Just want add that have also found powerline to be a really useful tool for getting WiFi to odd parts of my house. I have some that you ran an ethernet cord out of plug-in, and I some that actually just pump out another WiFi signal.

For something like a printer, either can work fine, but running a cord is probably better. But we have issues getting WiFi into our bedroom, so a WiFi solution is better, so we can each connect our phones and tablets. The big downside of the WiFi is that it is a separate signal from your router. It will have its own IP and password. An adapter that you can run a cable out of is good for a PC or printer.

I've considered upgrading to a mesh network, but it's just our bedroom that ever needs extra help, and a mesh network seems like overkill.

Holy crapola, I didn't realize these boosters were so cheap. I've looked into Powerline a few times and can't be convinced it's worth it for the price since I'm only trying to get it into the kids' bedroom.

But for $15? Wow. I imagine it adds a bunch of latency, so it would be horrible for gaming/streaming games but for everything else that's a phenomenal price.

garion333 wrote:

But for $15? Wow. I imagine it adds a bunch of latency, so it would be horrible for gaming/streaming games but for everything else that's a phenomenal price.

Actually they're not bad. I have a similar one on my oldest son's computer, he runs Roblox and Fortnite, and I haven't heard any complaints out of him about lag. Downloads are in line with what you'd expect from a regular Wifi adapter. His PC has built in wireless on the motherboard but the antenna kind of sucked, so I just bought one of these and disabled wifi in the BIOS.

I like the powerline adapters in theory, but in practice they were a bit rough to set up. But then, I'm a bit biased because I was using them as a cable guy in a rich section of town where it's not uncommon to have multiple breaker boxes in a single home, and they don't work in that kind of setup.

Yeah, I was happily surprised I was able to use one from one end of our old house to the addition. But it was carried through.

Never noticed much latency. I did use in for my Xbox and Xbox 360, and it was fine. But I’m no pro gamer. I’m pretty bad regardless of ping. Definitely better than WiFi.

Selling Diablo III on Switch for $35 shipped.

I'm late to respond - thanks for the info, folks.

I'll hit you up with a PM, Dominic Knight.

-BEP

This is still available if anyone's interested.

merphle wrote:

I'm looking to sell my copy of a new board game that I just received: LIVING PLANET Deluxe Edition. The box is brand new, and still sealed in its original plastic. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the contents, and from what I've read, the game seems to be getting decent reviews (8.2 on BGG). I'm looking to sell it because I think the game wouldn't be a good fit for my (not-very-gamey) family, and I'd rather have it go to someone who'd put it to good use.

I'm asking $100 + $shipping.