My Brand New Computer is Locking Up! Help!

Help me goodjers!

I brought home a brand new computer yesterday, it's really powerful and I've been enjoying games with graphics set to 11 that have been running like crap on my old computer for months. I've been all giddy and excited, but that's all come crashing down on my head because it's been locking up with alarming regularity. I only got it yesterday, put in a wireless card this morning so I could connect to our router and therefore the internet. The lock ups have only been happening since, but I'm not sure if it's the wireless card that did it since I wasn't using it a whole heap last night anyway without the internet. Plus it seems odd that it'd cause lock ups, and only under certain conditions.

The lock ups aren't random, for example, they happened multiple times when I tried to transfer a large file across from my old computer across the wireless network (but it transfered fine across my cross-over cable), and the moment I hit the confirm box too, so it was definitely the transfer. Now it's locking up when I try to search for Team Fortress 2 servers, every time... this is clearly a deal breaker. The problem is, both of these problems point back to the wireless card, despite the fact that that very card is letting me access the internet to write this up, so it clearly works to some degree... but I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas before I did anything too drastic.

Help me! There's nothing worse than bringing home a brand new computer and having it die on me!

Edit: Running Vista Home Premium 64 bit incidentally. Wireless is a D-link DWA-510, I don't know what else is relevant, but I'll let you know if you ask.

Try reformatting? There might have been a faulty installation of some files.

Your wireless card uses the RAlink RT61 chipset which I had tons of problems with in Vista & Windows 7 64-bit (Worked fine in 32 bit OS). Whenever I had heavy traffic the card would lock up. I found that I was not alone in this problem.

You can try installing the latest driver from the RAlink website but they haven't updated it since last year:
Driver

I eventually just bought a $20 generic card based off a newer chipset that has worked flawlessly since.

EvilDead wrote:

Your wireless card uses the RAlink RT61 chipset which I had tons of problems with in Vista & Windows 7 64-bit (Worked fine in 32 bit OS). Whenever I had heavy traffic the card would lock up. I found that I was not alone in this problem.

You can try installing the latest driver from the RAlink website but they haven't updated it since last year:
Driver

I eventually just bought a $20 generic card based off a newer chipset that has worked flawlessly since.

Ahh ok, that does make me feel a little better. Nice to know it's probably nothing I've done, although it does suck if I've gone a bought a dodgy wireless card. I'll read the thread you linked there anyway, looks like they have some ideas on possible fixes, albeit for Ubuntu... I actually did manage to get into a Team Fortress game, it stopped locking up, although I doubt the problem is gone, every 1-2 minutes or so I'd get a terrible lag spike for about 2 second, and then it'd run fine again. A lag spike here and there is fine but that's a bit too frequent so hopefully I can get rid of them. I know it's probably the card because my girlfriend was playing on my old computer and it was running fine during my lag spikes, blargh.

Oh I didn't mean to have you think I was pointing to a specific thread. I was just trying to make the point that their are hundreds of forum threads w/ people having similar problems with the chipset in 64bit. I also had lag spikes with that card and sometimes it would even lock up my router for a minute or two!

That happens because the card runs out of packets and has to send someone down to the store to buy some more.

complexmath wrote:

That happens because the card runs out of packets and has to send someone down to the store to buy some more.

We aren't all Stephen Hawking. Could you put that in layman's terms please!

EvilDead wrote:
complexmath wrote:

That happens because the card runs out of packets and has to send someone down to the store to buy some more.

We aren't all Stephen Hawking. Could you put that in layman's terms please! :D

We're gona open up your chest and tinker with your ticker.

EvilDead wrote:

Oh I didn't mean to have you think I was pointing to a specific thread. I was just trying to make the point that their are hundreds of forum threads w/ people having similar problems with the chipset in 64bit. I also had lag spikes with that card and sometimes it would even lock up my router for a minute or two!

Yeah I did realise that after the fact. Heh! Might just have to get myself a new wireless card, unfortunately I'm pretty broke right now because I spent all my money on my new computer, which isn't working properly, how aggravating! ... so it'll have to wait.

Try taking the wireless nic out. You won't have connectivity but you won't be locking up either.

Eezy_Bordone wrote:

Try taking the wireless nic out. You won't have connectivity but you won't be locking up either.

Remember to uninstall it first. For some reason allot of PCI & PCIe wireless cards won't let you uninstall the driver unless the card is plugged in. It is baffling.

xxxx wrote:

Lots of spam

GodDAMN the spammers are getting bad around here.