Minecraft

Tried to get the Ghast to relight it for me but ended up dying by burning in lit netherrock.

You know you can snuff out fire blocks by hitting them with a shovel? I've used that in fights to clear burning areas so I can move.

You can hit them with anything really.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

I need to head back in there soon but I'm not going until I'm properly kitted out...

I grew up with Smokey the Bear. He always used a shovel.

Must resist urge to install this at work.

Dakuna wrote:

Must resist urge to install this at work.

You don't have to install anything, you can play straight the web app on minecraft.net!

Mixolyde wrote:
Dakuna wrote:

Must resist urge to install this at work.

You don't have to install anything, you can play straight the web app on minecraft.net!

... you do realize you're not really helping the situation right??

Dakuna wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:
Dakuna wrote:

Must resist urge to install this at work.

You don't have to install anything, you can play straight the web app on minecraft.net!

... you do realize you're not really helping the situation right??

Am I making it worse...or better?

Mixolyde wrote:
Dakuna wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:
Dakuna wrote:

Must resist urge to install this at work.

You don't have to install anything, you can play straight the web app on minecraft.net!

... you do realize you're not really helping the situation right??

Am I making it worse...or better?

The reality is, I absolutely would never play any game while I'm at work, so boiled right down, you're having no impact on my action. You are, however, making it feel worse

Latest snapshot is out:

Jeb wrote:

- You can now use “/publish” to open your single-player game for LAN friends to join. This is still very much work in progress, so it lacks some necessary settings such as what game mode your friends will get, and if they should be able to use cheats or not. Also, the “/publish” command is temporary, you can’t even access it if you haven’t enabled cheats =)

- The Ender Chest has been changed to have an inventory per player and not per world. Also, knocking down the chest will break it into 8 obsidian, unless you have Silk Touch.

- The texture pack folder button now works on Mac

- A lot of smaller changes and fixes

Personally, I think that SP-to-MP feature is quite interesting. Between this and the Ender Chest, vanilla's getting pretty sleek. That said I do wonder if they nabbed the EC idea from a mod the Yogcast recently showcased that does the same thing (but with bags, I think?).

CY wrote:

Latest snapshot is out:

Jeb wrote:

- You can now use “/publish” to open your single-player game for LAN friends to join. This is still very much work in progress, so it lacks some necessary settings such as what game mode your friends will get, and if they should be able to use cheats or not. Also, the “/publish” command is temporary, you can’t even access it if you haven’t enabled cheats =)

- The Ender Chest has been changed to have an inventory per player and not per world. Also, knocking down the chest will break it into 8 obsidian, unless you have Silk Touch.

- The texture pack folder button now works on Mac

- A lot of smaller changes and fixes

Personally, I think that SP-to-MP feature is quite interesting. Between this and the Ender Chest, vanilla's getting pretty sleek. That said I do wonder if they nabbed the EC idea from a mod the Yogcast recently showcased that does the same thing (but with bags, I think?).

This excites me. Does anyone know yet exactly what the /publish command does? Do I still have to forward the right ports and stuff? And how do I enable cheats?

I got the impression in only works on the local subnet. So it's good for s LAN party like setup without having to fire up a server.

Orphu wrote:

I got the impression in only works on the local subnet. So it's good for s LAN party like setup without having to fire up a server.

Not bad, still.

Maybe the 360 version's splitscreen coop feature may find its way back into the pc version at some point? We love that aspect of Dungeon Defenders. This /publish option sounds cool too.

I keep up with Jonathan Downin's Minecraft series, watch etho and docm77, and have started watching bdoubleo. Does anyone have particular recommendations for YouTube channels covering creative Minecraft building?

I enjoy JL2579 as well.

Niseg wrote:

If you want to use equivalent exchange but want to avoid cheating too much just avoid building energy collectors and stick to transmutation tablet and maybe a condenser to make mass transmutation . The power items are also nice but not as unbalanced (well they are really OP). Energy collectors create energy you can turn into matter using light. This basically means that if you link them together and upgrade them you can make 4 diamonds per minute with the most advanced setup. Collectors are still somewhat balanced by the fact they cost about 10 diamonds and the first upgrade cost you about 18+ diamonds and the second one costs you about 58 diamonds. The worst form of cheating in EE is building energy collectors linked to a condenser letting it sit idle for hours ;).

Yep. Just went down that route on my latest world and it ruined it for me. Going to start again and not use the energy collectors. Will allow myself the transmutation tablet as well.

In my opinion Industrial craft is fairly balanced and I like it's automated mining method better it's despite the fact it's tough logistically (providing power to it) and it's fairly resource intensive (steep energy consumption) and time consuming ( I think 3-4 game days for 9X9). It's still easier to start up compared to a query (needs a few diamonds to craft) and it doesn't leave a mining pipe like a mining well . The main advantages of Industrial craft miner is that it doesn't dig a huge pit. after it's done you can still use your electric jetpack and go down the tube to check what it missed. Industrial craft also has mining laser which is probably less cheaty than destruction catalyst (equivalent exchange) .

I like the quarry - finally got one working yesterday. Doesn't work too quickly and there's something gratifying about watching it work. I pipe it's output into an alchemical chest with a density gem. I think I'll power it with electrical engines though - much easier than using a combustion or steam engine.

Ores get churned through a macerator loop. The destruction catalyst isn't really cheaty as most blocks (stone, dirt, sand) cost more to break than you get back. Useful for digging drifts, though. Railcraft's boreminer looks pretty cool and I'm going to try that out. EE's black matter pick is useful for getting all the ore from a lode out.

I've disabled trolls and werewolves. Both spawn too frequently for their power. Trolls will destroy everything and werewolves are nigh on impossible to kill.

There is so much stuff to explore!!

Werewolves can be killed easily with a golden sword. That said, I don't really like the creatures mod. Some of the new animals are fun, but most of the new monsters are annoying, stupid looking, and excessively noisy. Wolves and ghosts make the most irritating noises.

Jeb has reportedly pegged August 1st as the likely release date for 1.3.

That Japanese music video right there was a good send off for work. And also a healthy dose of WTF.

Aye, totally loved the quirkiness of it.

Minecraft crosses the 3 million mark on XBLA.

Wowzers. I guess that's the best-selling XBLA title of all time then?

How long before Minecraft is the biggest-selling PC/console game of all time? Mario had 40 million units sold and, as far as I can see on Wikipedia, that's the most to date if you don't count the pack-in game Wii Sports (79 million)...

A long time. According to the website the pc version is creeping up on 7 million now.

Norfair wrote:

A long time. According to the website the pc version is creeping up on 7 million now.

Yeah but just think of all the people who've never heard of it!

I wonder what game would get the best development cost/sales ratio... (Ignoring Mario!)

Mojang is being sued by a patent troll over their Android version of Minecraft:
https://twitter.com/notch/status/226...

Aaron D. wrote:

Minecraft crosses the 3 million mark on XBLA.

I still remember all of the people across the net talking about how nobody would buy this and that it was a complete waste of time & resources to port the game to consoles. (even though Mojang used a 3rd party for the port)

So far, it is by far my most played game in 2012. The addition of both controller and splitscreen support made it a superstar in my household where I've played hours and hours of the game with my 4 year old and 7 year old.

Last week, it had been a few weeks since we had played, and I was deep in the middle of the steam sale. Then my daughter came home from a friend's house talking about how we needed to play again because there were now more costumes, "pushers" (pistons), and pink sheep in the game. So to humor her I fired up the game, and we started another new world. It is now a few days and several in game hours later, and my new steam pile sits mostly untouched as we've spent our time on the 360 building twin skyscrapers.

It really is a game that keeps on giving, especially if you have young kids. $20 very well spent.

Conan O'Brien rates Minecraft on the 360:
http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-g...

(Cross-posted from the GWJ Minecraft World thread.)

1.3 is out as a pre-release now, server and single-player versions.