Just Cause 2 Catch-All

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I'm sure the routine of "steal helicopter, blow stuff up, get shot down and jump out and use your grapple to steal another helicopter in mid-air" will get old eventually, but it hasn't yet.

That's when you switch to walk in base and de-mount gun and blow everything up Rambo style, and then switch to grenade trucks or something else later. Just don't even try to think that using a fighter jet will be an effective method of destroying an entire base. Those things are impossible to control correctly.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

My only advice would be do not, as a rule, pick up Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Crackdown 2 within a short period of time. All three involve climbing things, yet the controls are quite different.

I would also add the Saboteur to that list. I rented both Just Cause 2 and the Saboteur back to back around the time of Just Cause's release. While they are both open world games that I enjoyed, I ran into similar "muscle memory" control issues switching from one to the other even though I was playing them with different controllers. (one was a PS3 rental and the other was a 360 rental).

Jasonofindy wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

My only advice would be do not, as a rule, pick up Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Crackdown 2 within a short period of time. All three involve climbing things, yet the controls are quite different.

I would also add the Saboteur to that list. I rented both Just Cause 2 and the Saboteur back to back around the time of Just Cause's release. While they are both open world games that I enjoyed, I ran into similar "muscle memory" control issues switching from one to the other even though I was playing them with different controllers. (one was a PS3 rental and the other was a 360 rental).

I stopped playing Assassin's Creed 2 for a while, partially because of the controls, and partially because what seemed like really fun climbing and parkour-esque platforming now seems incredibly slow as compared to "I'm just going to fire my zipline up this mountain and be done with it", and I stopped playing Crackdown 2 because . . . well, Crackdown 2 is a giant pile of suck.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I stopped playing Assassin's Creed 2 for a while, partially because of the controls, and partially because what seemed like really fun climbing and parkour-esque platforming now seems incredibly slow as compared to "I'm just going to fire my zipline up this mountain and be done with it", and I stopped playing Crackdown 2 because . . . well, Crackdown 2 is a giant pile of suck.

I was looking forward to Crackdown 2 because I enjoyed the first one, but put off buying it because I was playing through something else at the time (Galaxy 2 maybe?). Considering the response it received and how fast it has plummeted down to $15, I guess I dodged a bullet.

Would you recommend Assassin's Creed 2 to someone even if they couldn't get in to the original or is it pretty much the original but bigger?

Also to be on-topic. Just Cause 2 was lots of fun and I can definitely recommend it to anyone who likes open world games.

Jasonofindy wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I stopped playing Assassin's Creed 2 for a while, partially because of the controls, and partially because what seemed like really fun climbing and parkour-esque platforming now seems incredibly slow as compared to "I'm just going to fire my zipline up this mountain and be done with it", and I stopped playing Crackdown 2 because . . . well, Crackdown 2 is a giant pile of suck.

I was looking forward to Crackdown 2 because I enjoyed the first one, but put off buying it because I was playing through something else at the time (Galaxy 2 maybe?). Considering the response it received and how fast it has plummeted down to $15, I guess I dodged a bullet.

Would you recommend Assassin's Creed 2 to someone even if they couldn't get in to the original or is it pretty much the original but bigger?

Also to be on-topic. Just Cause 2 was lots of fun and I can definitely recommend it to anyone who likes open world games.

On-topic response: Just Cause 2 isn't Saints' Row 2, but it's the closest thing to Saints' Row 2 since Saints' Row 2. By that, I mean it's an open-world game where the idea of "fun" is first and foremost. It's just really well-done, so much better than the original.

Off-topic response: AC2 is like the original, though it's definitely improved in a number of ways. Better combat, no more "ride your horse through the stupid countryside", more freedom in general. I liked the original, I like the sequel better.

And Crackdown 2 is like the original, except with all the fun polished off.

It's funny because once I got about 30 hours into Saints Row 2 (yes 30), I decided the best use of my time was driving planes really high and then jumping out of them. This was kind of tedious as I had to wind my way back to the airport, etc. I then played inFamous and found the "floating" and the ability to quickly climb to be much preferable to Saints Row 2. So I was hardcore into that game until I finished it. Then I gave Prototype a try. I didn't like the aesthetic and the gore turned me off. However, running up buildings and flying off them was easy.

Anyway, long story short all of this was leading up to Just Cause 2. When I got Just Cause 2 as soon as I had access to a helicopter I started just finding high points in the map and base jumping. It was basically "Just Base Jumping 2" for the first 8 hours for me. Eventually I started blowing more stuff up, but it took a while for the hookshot / parachute mechanic to wear out its welcome and even then it wasn't "old", necessarily. Just time to play something else.

I'll probably return to this game at some point. It's just nice to pop in and start playing around with the sandbox. I really did have that progression, though, where I think it would be hard to go back to Saints Row 2, Prototype, inFamous or AC2. Every game needs a grappling hook and parachute.

I've been waiting on this one to hit the bargain bin. Pretty excited to finally play it. Any consensus on the best way to play, 360 controller or mouse and keyboard?

i38warhawk wrote:

I've been waiting on this one to hit the bargain bin. Pretty excited to finally play it. Any consensus on the best way to play, 360 controller or mouse and keyboard?

Both, as I rave about throughout my time on this thread (and others where JC2 comes up)

Use the pad fro fast moving vehicles like fast cars and planes and jets. Everything else is M&K all the way.

mrtomaytohead wrote:
i38warhawk wrote:

I've been waiting on this one to hit the bargain bin. Pretty excited to finally play it. Any consensus on the best way to play, 360 controller or mouse and keyboard?

Both, as I rave about throughout my time on this thread (and others where JC2 comes up)

Use the pad fro fast moving vehicles like fast cars and planes and jets. Everything else is M&K all the way.

I was curious if you could use both. I played the demo back before it released and could not believe how terrible the vehicles control with mouse and keyboard. Glad to hear I can use my controller for those parts.

I played through with just the controller though I've gotten used to it over the years. Used to be a time I'd always buy for the PC just for the M&K so I know how you feel.

After playing for several hours I can confirm that you can use both, but I found it easier just to play with the controller. The mouse acceleration in this game is difficult to get used to and ruins my aim in other shooters. Also, I'm always running out of ammo mid fight, are there some extended mag improvements farther into the game that solve this problem? I got so tired of running out of ammo last night that I just carried a minigun around for about a half hour.

i38warhawk wrote:

After playing for several hours I can confirm that you can use both, but I found it easier just to play with the controller. The mouse acceleration in this game is difficult to get used to and ruins my aim in other shooters. Also, I'm always running out of ammo mid fight, are there some extended mag improvements farther into the game that solve this problem? I got so tired of running out of ammo last night that I just carried a minigun around for about a half hour.

I only ran out of ammo a few times in the 50 hrs I put into this game. This is something I don't get. Remember, there's a focus aim, don't dual wield the same weapon (like SMG) as that limits your ammo capacity, there are usually ammo boxes around, and you can have the black market guy drop guns w/ ammo supply anywhere. Don't be afraid to pick up random weapons and use them for a clip when you kill an enemy and then pick your old weapon back up. As long as you don't wander too far, you'll be fine.

I wonder what it is with the mouse controls? I never had issues with it throwing off my aiming elsewhere...

i38warhawk wrote:

After playing for several hours I can confirm that you can use both, but I found it easier just to play with the controller. The mouse acceleration in this game is difficult to get used to and ruins my aim in other shooters. Also, I'm always running out of ammo mid fight, are there some extended mag improvements farther into the game that solve this problem? I got so tired of running out of ammo last night that I just carried a minigun around for about a half hour.

I run out of ammo, too.

So far, my game has been me doing the first couple of forced missions, a 100% base take down, then me loading the game, running around for 30 minutes, then dying when I run out of ammo in a big fight. Since I haven't saved anywhere, I start right back at that last autosave at the base I destroyed.

It's like groundhog day. With explosions. And wire thingees.

I think my problem is that I haven't gotten used to the weapon swap/pickup mechanic. It just seems odd. When I'm trying to pick up a weapon mid battle, I always end up just switching to an empty gun instead.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Or as I call it, giving you a free attack helicopter. Your hook can hit those two, you know. :)

Oh lordy, this, totally. Piss them off enough that they send easily-stolen chopper after chopper. As for ammo, I always have pistol/SMG/assault rifle, and just switch between them. Military bases always have boxes of ammo, and you get ammo from enemies you shoot. I've never run out. You can also upgrade your weapons, and that increases your ammo capacity (plus damage and other things).

MannishBoy wrote:

Since I haven't saved anywhere, I start right back at that last autosave at the base I destroyed.

It's like groundhog day. With explosions. And wire thingees.

AFAIK, you ALWAYS start back at the last base you destroyed (or else the closest based to where you were killed), regardless of how often you save.

There are mods that increase your ammo count and/or decrease black market prices. I'll link them if you guys are interested. I've generally found that if you're regularly getting involved in giant firefights, you aren't doing it right. Firefights are punishing and there are TONS of enemies. I think the idea is to complete your objective and get out.

That said, if you get your alarm level high enough they'll start sending helicopters after you. Or as I call it, giving you a free attack helicopter. Your hook can hit those too, you know.

SommerMatt wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Since I haven't saved anywhere, I start right back at that last autosave at the base I destroyed.

It's like groundhog day. With explosions. And wire thingees.

AFAIK, you ALWAYS start back at the last base you destroyed (or else the closest based to where you were killed), regardless of how often you save.

Right, and it doesn't undo your progress.

The autosave feature confused me and that was part of the reason I put Just Cause 2 down to move onto something else. It wasn't clear for me and I was afraid of losing progress again and again..

Is there a simple explanation for how when it autosaves? Is there a strategic time to always be saving manually?

While I'm having fun with the game I am finding the control scheme a bit on the wonky side. I'm having a bit of trouble getting my fingers to remember Tab to dodge, Left-Alt to stunt jump, q to melee and space to normal jump/jump off (sometimes).

One of my usual screwups is when I'm using the grapple to get to a balcony or something. Usually the grapple leaves me clinging to the edge of whatever and I then have to hit space to jump over the railing and onto the platform. But if I hit the space bar an instant too soon it deploys the parachute instead and I go sailing over whatever platform I was aiming at.

I'm also still a bit confused on weapon selection. There has been more than one case where I've tried to dual-wield and started lobbing grenades by mistake or something.

And while I'm on dual-wield; one weapon shows in the bottom-left of my screen and one in the bottom-right, but I fire the weapon on the right with the left mouse button and the weapon on the left with the right mouse button. That one seriously confused me for a while.

That said, using the grapple to grab guys and throw them off the upper balcony of the casino never got old.

i38warhawk wrote:

After playing for several hours I can confirm that you can use both, but I found it easier just to play with the controller. The mouse acceleration in this game is difficult to get used to and ruins my aim in other shooters. Also, I'm always running out of ammo mid fight, are there some extended mag improvements farther into the game that solve this problem? I got so tired of running out of ammo last night that I just carried a minigun around for about a half hour.

I preferred the controller for everything as well.

I use m/k almost exclusively; the only time I use a controller is extended driving or flying a plane. With a helicopter, I find m/k easier. The only thing I hate is the handbrake is X, which isn't at all intuitive.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I use m/k almost exclusively; the only time I use a controller is extended driving or flying a plane. With a helicopter, I find m/k easier. The only thing I hate is the handbrake is X, which isn't at all intuitive.

I remap all my keyboard stuff every game. I don't use WASD (I like WERD), so I'm just used to putting stuff where it makes sense to me.

Irongut wrote:

The autosave feature confused me and that was part of the reason I put Just Cause 2 down to move onto something else. It wasn't clear for me and I was afraid of losing progress again and again..

Is there a simple explanation for how when it autosaves? Is there a strategic time to always be saving manually?

Again, as far as I know, the game auto-saves after every single thing you blow up OR pick up. Not sure if there is any point in manually saving, really.

SommerMatt wrote:

Again, as far as I know, the game auto-saves after every single thing you blow up OR pick up. Not sure if there is any point in manually saving, really.

I seriously doubt that. There were definitely times in the game where it did not save whole missions I completed.

I picked this one up on the Steam sale and am enjoying it so far. Surprisingly pretty; I've enjoyed watching the fish and the various ambient life. A few questions:

1) Birds. They often seem to be bugged, with a herky-jerky animation and teleport over short distances. I imagine this is just a scripting/animation bug, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it was some peculiar interaction with AA/AF/driver version, etc., etc.
2) Percentages: I've done one faction mission, which was to secure a power plant. There are two SAM sites that I destroyed, but after a game reload the SAMs appear to be up and functional again. I can target them, but they don't show the scorpion icon and I cannot destroy them. My percentage is locked at 88% in the power plant - anyway to reset these?
3) Percentages Part Deux: I'm not far into the game, but I already have two villages that I can't seem to complete. I've done a full perimeter walk and can't find any collects or military objects to destroy. Is there a way to easily track down what's left to find/destroy, or is it possible that the percentage is bugged?
4) Purchased vehicles: If you buy a vehicle, and subsequently perish, is there a way to recover the vehicle, or do you have to buy it again?

Thanks!

Puce Moose wrote:

3) Percentages Part Deux: I'm not far into the game, but I already have two villages that I can't seem to complete. I've done a full perimeter walk and can't find any collects or military objects to destroy. Is there a way to easily track down what's left to find/destroy, or is it possible that the percentage is bugged?

Your HUD has a radar-ish function for collectibles, and will give you a WiFi looking strength signal to show in which direction the object lies. Also, remember that some of these villages extend hundreds of virtual yards outside of the perimeter of any obvious housing (some of them even have two or three clumps of houses with lots of open space in between).

I haven't played the PC version and can't comment about glitches there, but if you follow the hints above you should be able to get the 100% in any location.

Puce Moose wrote:

3) Percentages Part Deux: I'm not far into the game, but I already have two villages that I can't seem to complete. I've done a full perimeter walk and can't find any collects or military objects to destroy. Is there a way to easily track down what's left to find/destroy, or is it possible that the percentage is bugged?
4) Purchased vehicles: If you buy a vehicle, and subsequently perish, is there a way to recover the vehicle, or do you have to buy it again?

3 - Don't forget you have a item detector thing in your UI. It shows more bars the closer you are to weapon or vehicle parts, money, or health upgrades. Also some military bases and other areas have pipelines or other buildings that are outside the walls of the base. Be sure to look around beyond the perimeter.

4 - No, but I recommend getting a mod that makes weapons and vehicles from the black market cheaper or free. It give you more incentive to be creative with the vehicles without having to worry about blowing all your hard earned cash.

SommerMatt wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:

3) Percentages Part Deux: I'm not far into the game, but I already have two villages that I can't seem to complete. I've done a full perimeter walk and can't find any collects or military objects to destroy. Is there a way to easily track down what's left to find/destroy, or is it possible that the percentage is bugged?

Your HUD has a radar-ish function for collectibles, and will give you a WiFi looking strength signal to show in which direction the object lies. Also, remember that some of these villages extend hundreds of virtual yards outside of the perimeter of any obvious housing (some of them even have two or three clumps of houses with lots of open space in between).

I haven't played the PC version and can't comment about glitches there, but if you follow the hints above you should be able to get the 100% in any location.

Also, if I remember correctly since it's been awhile since I've played this, when you fill up the radar bar, doesn't the icon appear on the edge of your screen showing you exactly where the collectible is?

Sinkwater wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:

3) Percentages Part Deux: I'm not far into the game, but I already have two villages that I can't seem to complete. I've done a full perimeter walk and can't find any collects or military objects to destroy. Is there a way to easily track down what's left to find/destroy, or is it possible that the percentage is bugged?

Your HUD has a radar-ish function for collectibles, and will give you a WiFi looking strength signal to show in which direction the object lies. Also, remember that some of these villages extend hundreds of virtual yards outside of the perimeter of any obvious housing (some of them even have two or three clumps of houses with lots of open space in between).

I haven't played the PC version and can't comment about glitches there, but if you follow the hints above you should be able to get the 100% in any location.

Also, if I remember correctly since it's been awhile since I've played this, when you fill up the radar bar, doesn't the icon appear on the edge of your screen showing you exactly where the collectible is?

Yep. Once you get the "full strength" signal, the WiFi looking thing will start to flash. At that point, the pick-up will be extremely easy to locate.

Puce Moose wrote:

3) Percentages Part Deux: I'm not far into the game, but I already have two villages that I can't seem to complete. I've done a full perimeter walk and can't find any collects or military objects to destroy. Is there a way to easily track down what's left to find/destroy, or is it possible that the percentage is bugged?

It's always a generator. They count toward the completion percentage, and they're easy to miss as they don't have the red paint most destroyable items have. Shoot at any nondescript, brown and grey human-height box structures.

See also: Tom Chick has a few things you should know about Just Cause 2.