Just Cause 2 Catch-All

I don't think I ever bought a single ground vehicle the entire time I played JC2.

SommerMatt wrote:

I don't think I ever bought a single ground vehicle the entire time I played JC2.

Me neither. Once I got helicopters and figured out how to use the grappling hook and parachute as a slingshot that became my primary mode of transportation.

DSGamer wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

I don't think I ever bought a single ground vehicle the entire time I played JC2.

Me neither. Once I got helicopters and figured out how to use the grappling hook and parachute as a slingshot that became my primary mode of transportation.

This reminds me that I need to go back and actually FINISH JC2. Never did get through the actual game "story" missions.

SommerMatt wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

I don't think I ever bought a single ground vehicle the entire time I played JC2.

Me neither. Once I got helicopters and figured out how to use the grappling hook and parachute as a slingshot that became my primary mode of transportation.

This reminds me that I need to go back and actually FINISH JC2. Never did get through the actual game "story" missions.

Me neither. Got distracted by RDR and work. I'll probably go back to it soon too. I miss it, but at the time I was like 16 hours of time into it so it was time to take a break.

DSGamer wrote:

Me neither. Got distracted by RDR and work. I'll probably go back to it soon too. I miss it, but at the time I was like 16 hours of time into it so it was time to take a break.

sh*t... I think I had over 30 hours into the game before I quit for RDR. Maybe more. Just never managed to get around to most of the main plot missions...

DSGamer wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

I don't think I ever bought a single ground vehicle the entire time I played JC2.

Me neither. Once I got helicopters and figured out how to use the grappling hook and parachute as a slingshot that became my primary mode of transportation.

I've bought a few to have fun with and to make sure if I ever get close to finding all the vehicles and driving them, they're not one of the ones I've missed on accident. Also, during one particularly long road race across the main land mass, I bought the fastest car 3 times to replace the car that just blew up due to reckless abandon and disregard for the condition of vehicle I was driving.

Typically land vehicles are the most restrictive things in the game, though so I avoid them as well.

I bought land vehicles twice.

Once, when I needed a tank to clear out a base. Usually they give you one to hijack but not so in this case.

Then, when I really needed a boat and accidentally had it airdropped onto the beach. It didn't do very much.

SommerMatt wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Me neither. Got distracted by RDR and work. I'll probably go back to it soon too. I miss it, but at the time I was like 16 hours of time into it so it was time to take a break.

sh*t... I think I had over 30 hours into the game before I quit for RDR. Maybe more. Just never managed to get around to most of the main plot missions...

I think I'm sitting at 52 hours and 20% complete.

MaxShrek wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Me neither. Got distracted by RDR and work. I'll probably go back to it soon too. I miss it, but at the time I was like 16 hours of time into it so it was time to take a break.

sh*t... I think I had over 30 hours into the game before I quit for RDR. Maybe more. Just never managed to get around to most of the main plot missions...

I think I'm sitting at 52 hours and 20% complete.

Wow! What have you been doing for all that time!? I hit the 50% achievement at 41 hrs. Of course, every time I saw the glint of a pickup I'd make a b-line for it and then proceed to clear out everything in the area.

Question. When I die when I'm not in a mission do all the things I collected stay collected?

The reason I ask is because last night I was exploring waaaaaaaaaay far away from where I respawned (seeing as I've done all of one faction mission), so it wasn't immediately apparent if all the crap I explored and collected was still collected since I didn't go back there. Actually, now that I think about it all I have to do is open my map and see if the location is discovered. Cause if it resets to my last save state when I die, that location won't be there ... ?

So, if I do keep all that stuff I found does that mean there's no "real" death penalty in the game?

I'm pretty sure it stays collected and that in the base game there's no "real" death penalty, save that you lose whatever vehicle you may have had at the time. I got the DLC on the cheap during the Steam sale and the parachute rocket thingies seem kind of shoehorned in there: they're called in like equipment, you walk up and press Y to "replace" (though it doesn't tell you what you're replacing) and if you die you lose them.

LobsterMobster wrote:

I'm pretty sure it stays collected and that in the base game there's no "real" death penalty, save that you lose whatever vehicle you may have had at the time. I got the DLC on the cheap during the Steam sale and the parachute rocket thingies seem kind of shoehorned in there: they're called in like equipment, you walk up and press Y to "replace" (though it doesn't tell you what you're replacing) and if you die you lose them.

Thanks.

I bought that DLC too (I didn't buy ALL the DLC, just what looked fun to me) and gave those things a try last night, I quite enjoyed them. When I died though I pretty much shut the game off immediately afterwards, so I didn't even notice if I still had them or not. I was hoping they were with me permanently cause they're fun and make escape a lot easier. Oh well, if I don't still have them I'll just keep buying them when I want, they weren't very expensive.

I did keep the air gun thing after dying though, so it's a shame the parachute rockets don't stay with.

garion333 wrote:

Question. When I die when I'm not in a mission do all the things I collected stay collected?

The reason I ask is because last night I was exploring waaaaaaaaaay far away from where I respawned (seeing as I've done all of one faction mission), so it wasn't immediately apparent if all the crap I explored and collected was still collected since I didn't go back there. Actually, now that I think about it all I have to do is open my map and see if the location is discovered. Cause if it resets to my last save state when I die, that location won't be there ... ?

So, if I do keep all that stuff I found does that mean there's no "real" death penalty in the game?

Other than having to go back to where you were, probably by way of 'quick travel' and having to here that annoying voice again, no real penalties I know of. I can confirm things staying collected as I've died at multiple bases and returned right away to finish them off. Also, while trying to get the fly under the bridge achievement I've had to restart many times, and it always just resumed counting as if nothing had gone wrong.

I bought one gun during the Steam sale, and regretted it as soon as ammo ran out since I didn't want to call up another drop off for more ammo. I wish the DLC was more like a mod and less like just another thing to buy in the shop.

So, I've got to say, this game certainly gets repetitive rather quickly, but it continues to scratch the completionist itch in me ... and I don't usually feel that way. Pigeon hunting in GTA IV, no thanks. Drug Drop hunting, yes please!

garion333 wrote:

So, I've got to say, this game certainly gets repetitive rather quickly, but it continues to scratch the completionist itch in me ... and I don't usually feel that way. Pigeon hunting in GTA IV, no thanks. Drug Drop hunting, yes please!

The thing is, you're not so much hunting as going to a specific locatoin marked on your map. Somehow, that's really fun. Probably because the world is fun to look at. I also am infinitely entertained when I hear "You found another one of our ancestral skulls, Serdadu" mostly because when he says skulls it just reminds me of this sketch.

I can't even begin to imagine how to get 100% in this game, since there are so many unmarked locations and random things.

The world is fun to look at and traversing it is the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. Parachute + grappling hook == awesome.

I keep getting into the game, getting a vehicle, and just wandering around. Trying to skim the water with a jumbo jet, flying a helicopter really low and close to the road, going swimming to see just how much detail there is underwater and when it ends (so far, it doesn't!), and discovering the icy mountain peak in the ocean with the sheer cliff off the side of it. Too much to see, and lots to do. It also seems like I've killed 5 ninja, but I don't remember ever seeing them.

Currently at 55 hours, and jumped to 41%.

MaxShrek wrote:

discovering the icy mountain peak in the ocean with the sheer cliff off the side of it.

Oooh! I have to go find this now. Game of the year for me!

mrtomaytohead wrote:

I can't even begin to imagine how to get 100% in this game, since there are so many unmarked locations and random things.

There are some glitches in the game that can prevent it from happening at all, which saved me from spending way too many OCD hours going for it. In my case I blew up one of the communications towers and died just as it was exploding. That comm tower did not get marked as complete and yet it was destroyed when I went back to it. So it would be impossible for me to ever get 100% on this game.

I read something about the guy who was closest to 100% a few days after launch having the same kind of glitch so he basically got screwed out of being the first to complete it.

Unknown Soldier wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:

I can't even begin to imagine how to get 100% in this game, since there are so many unmarked locations and random things.

There are some glitches in the game that can prevent it from happening at all, which saved me from spending way too many OCD hours going for it. In my case I blew up one of the communications towers and died just as it was exploding. That comm tower did not get marked as complete and yet it was destroyed when I went back to it. So it would be impossible for me to ever get 100% on this game.

I read something about the guy who was closest to 100% a few days after launch having the same kind of glitch so he basically got screwed out of being the first to complete it.

Ah, I see. There's one location with a air strip I think that happened to on me. I wonder if they knew about it and that's why the 'perfectionist' achievement is set to 75%.

Probably... If you're willing to let them tell you what a perfectionist is. 75% sounds like a quitter to me!

I'm at like 8% due to undesirable PC-sharing arrangements. I have to say, this is the prettiest game I have seen for a while, but it's rather easy to just wander off to blow things up - the same instinct I had with Red Faction and GTA to the max. Seriously ridiculous map size too. A couple of friends told me the game gets very old very quick if you have 24/7 access to it; it remains a huge source of fun to me because my time is limited. Everything in moderation, kids!

Duffman wrote:
MaxShrek wrote:

discovering the icy mountain peak in the ocean with the sheer cliff off the side of it.

Oooh! I have to go find this now. Game of the year for me!

I forgot where it was, I stumbled on it when I took one of those small gunboats near one of the distant off-shore oil rigs. It sticks maybe 25 in-game feet over the water, obviously a glitch, but you can interact with it.

Do mods have an effect on achievements? I want to get rid of the black market dude's custscenes, but I'd still like to get my achievements since, well, I'm addicted.

garion333 wrote:

Do mods have an effect on achievements? I want to get rid of the black market dude's custscenes, but I'd still like to get my achievements since, well, I'm addicted.

A very good question- I'd like to know the answer too.

I used a mod to eliminate the black market cut scenes and still get achievements.

I actually just got the one where you have to kill X number soldiers without taking damage during my last play session. Wasn't even trying for it, just got in a groove and bam achievement unlocked.

subscribed to thread

Anyone have any advice one completing the individual locations? Finding the tools/armor has been kind of troublesome for me.

Faceless Joe wrote:

Anyone have any advice one completing the individual locations? Finding the tools/armor has been kind of troublesome for me.

When I'm stuck I usually steal a helicopter, but I'm usually trying to find that one last generator tucked away somewhere. The armor et al I usually don't have trouble with if I just grapple all over the map and use the radar to tell me when I get close.

garion333 wrote:
Faceless Joe wrote:

Anyone have any advice one completing the individual locations? Finding the tools/armor has been kind of troublesome for me.

When I'm stuck I usually steal a helicopter, but I'm usually trying to find that one last generator tucked away somewhere. The armor et al I usually don't have trouble with if I just grapple all over the map and use the radar to tell me when I get close.

Wait, does it show up on the radar? I didn't know that.