Just Cause 2 Catch-All

I just saw this screen shot, can't tell if it's gameplay or just a cut-scene, but if this is possible in-game, good grief:

IMAGE(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/mills_fokk/justcause2_5.jpg)

MaxShrek wrote:

I just saw this screen shot, can't tell if it's gameplay or just a cut-scene, but if this is possible in-game, good grief:

In the immortal words of Tina Fey, "I want to go to there."

The original Just Cause was vastly underrated for it's amazing draw distance and fidelity when you flew a plane WAY up to the roof of the world. I bet that's in-game.

MaxShrek wrote:

I just saw this screen shot, can't tell if it's gameplay or just a cut-scene, but if this is possible in-game, good grief:

IMAGE(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/mills_fokk/justcause2_5.jpg)

One of the many trailers they've released lately shows him grappling that plane, all gameplay.

Sinatar wrote:

One of the many trailers they've released lately shows him grappling that plane, all gameplay.

Knowing the features they've mentioned on the grapple, I never knew I had a desire to grapple that plane to another object until I read that sentence.

Now, it's a necessary experience.

Just watched a long trailer on youtube (probably one you've seen before.) The game does look pretty damn good. The small details, helicopter down draft, guns and explosions, are superb. Trying to resist pre-ordering. Curse them and their pre-order loot. I want that shute.... and the pistol.... and the hovercraft.

Well Higgledy, you may be out of luck.

It looks like those pre-order bonuses are each exclusive to a different retailer.

GameSpot has the revolver (they've been getting exclusivity on the coolest DLC lately... Freaking Mass Effect singularity gun!).
Amazon.com has the assault rifle and a $15 gift card dealie.

No idea what Walmart and Target are getting, or where you get the parachute, hovercraft, or car. Maybe they're available to all pre-orders and only the rifle/revolver are exclusive?

LobsterMobster wrote:

Well Higgledy, you may be out of luck.

It looks like those pre-order bonuses are each exclusive to a different retailer.

GameSpot has the revolver (they've been getting exclusivity on the coolest DLC lately... Freaking Mass Effect singularity gun!).
Amazon.com has the assault rifle and a $15 gift card dealie.

No idea what Walmart and Target are getting, or where you get the parachute, hovercraft, or car. Maybe they're available to all pre-orders and only the rifle/revolver are exclusive?

That's not good :(.

Mind you, after the Mass Effect DLC, I'm getting the feeling that cosmetic/item based DLC will always tend to be exciting before you have it an slightly underwhelming once it's on your hard drive. I don't think it'll take much to talk myself out of pre-ordering.

Word has it the Singularity Gun is the best heavy weapon in Mass Effect 2, if you don't like the limited ammo of the Cain.

I've found out that BestBuy has the car. Also, outside of North America, you can get a Limited Edition with all five items. In North America, each retailer only gets one. I wonder if that choice involved one of those retailers showing up with a giant briefcase of money demanding exclusivity.

Seems kind of BS that the only way to get all the content in the US is to buy the game five times or hit eBay afterwards.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Word has it the Singularity Gun is the best heavy weapon in Mass Effect 2, if you don't like the limited ammo of the Cain. :P

Hehe, yeah. After I posed that I thought... actually, I really like that new shotgun...

Interesting what EA are doing by giving item codes to other companies to give away in relation to promotions. I can see it catching on as a way to tie adverts to games without invading the 'game space.' Depressing as the prospect is.

Higgledy wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

Word has it the Singularity Gun is the best heavy weapon in Mass Effect 2, if you don't like the limited ammo of the Cain. :P

Hehe, yeah. After I posed that I thought... actually, I really like that new shotgun...

Interesting what EA are doing by giving item codes to other companies to give away in relation to promotions. I can see it catching on as a way to tie adverts to games without invading the 'game space.' Depressing as the prospect is.

I take it you haven't seen the Dr. Pepper Mass Effect 2 items.

No, really.

I never really got where people were coming from with their exclusivity hate but I'm starting to feel it.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2s6obgi.jpg)

That does it, I'm in love with this game.

Sinatar wrote:

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2s6obgi.jpg)

Daddy want.

That's fine!

LobsterMobster wrote:

I take it you haven't seen the Dr. Pepper Mass Effect 2 items.

No, really.

I never really got where people were coming from with their exclusivity hate but I'm starting to feel it.

The swines. Fortunately I'm not interested in those items. Probably because you can't shoot or run anyone over with them.

Man I hope this game is half as fun as it looks

I really hope there's a gas canister factory in that game. If there isn't, I'm going to personally make that an extremely lucrative market due to scarcity.

Looks like the demo for Steam, Live and PSN could drop on Thursday 4th March.

For an idea of the download size and even the demo area size itself, Mycoldman said in one of his tweets yesterday: Wondering how big the Just Cause 2 demo is? Try 1.4Gb. Or Manhattan. Or Paris. Or more accurately 35 square miles.

Given how Steam's been lately, that should be fun for next Monday.

The Internet has told me that XP will not be supported on the PC version. Or rather, the game is DX10 only and MS made DX10 incompatible with XP in order to sell more copies of Vista (those naughty leet hackers showed that XP can handle DX10 just fine).

While it seems silly to upgrade specifically for one game, I've been considering an upgrade for a while now and this might be the nudge I need. Anyone know how much of an ordeal an upgrade is? Will stuff stop working and/or need to be reinstalled?

Also anyone know anything about the DRM? If it's using the same BS as Assassin's Creed II, I'm out.

Just a heads up that the demo is up on the 360.

LobsterMobster wrote:

The Internet has told me that XP will not be supported on the PC version. Or rather, the game is DX10 only and MS made DX10 incompatible with XP in order to sell more copies of Vista (those naughty leet hackers showed that XP can handle DX10 just fine).

While it seems silly to upgrade specifically for one game, I've been considering an upgrade for a while now and this might be the nudge I need. Anyone know how much of an ordeal an upgrade is? Will stuff stop working and/or need to be reinstalled?

Going to Win 7 from XP, you'll need to back up all your stuff as you can't do an in place upgrade. You can use the Windows Easy Transfer Tool for Win 7 to help, and it's actually quite good now.

I've learned to uninstall a lot of my games to save DRM tokens. I know games like ME1 after being patched will give you back an install.

Steam's easy to move. Just copy the folder from the old install to the new install. Then you'll have to reauthorize games' DRM, but that's pretty quick. All your saves and settings will come over. I think there's instructions on Steam's site.

Win 7's great.

Anybody know if the PC version has achievements? The Amazon box shows "Games for Windows", not "Games for Windows Live". So more like Crysis vs being like Batman or Fallout 3?

Some of the effects on PC look pretty cool, although I generally prefer sandbox games from the couch. I don't have to have achievements, just curious.

PC features youtube vid

Also not sure my GTX260 + Q6600 would handle all that stuff anyway. Guess I'll try the steam demo, too.

I'd recommend taking the route I took lobster: Drop a new hard drive in your system and install 7 on it. It will automagically make a prompt on boot so you can choose which OS you want to load. That way you can take your time moving stuff.

Stylez wrote:

I'd recommend taking the route I took lobster: Drop a new hard drive in your system and install 7 on it. It will automagically make a prompt on boot so you can choose which OS you want to load. That way you can take your time moving stuff.

That's a really good idea Stylez, except recall that I have a copy of Windows95 on one of my drives. As in, I bought a new computer with a new hard drive and threw the old one in to make it easier to move stuff.

Twice. I also have a copy of Windows ME.

MannishBoy wrote:

PC features youtube vid

Also not sure my GTX260 + Q6600 would handle all that stuff anyway. Guess I'll try the steam demo, too.

That's pretty cool. The water looks nice. I wonder if any of this stuff is NVIDIA-only.

Dammit, I thought we were supposed to be into the dry spell now. Now we get Bioshock 2, BF:BC2 and JC2 all three weeks apart? I haven't finished my stack from last Fall, how am I supposed to play all these awesome games?!?

Podunk wrote:

Dammit, I thought we were supposed to be into the dry spell now. Now we get Bioshock 2, BF:BC2 and JC2 all three weeks apart? I haven't finished my stack from last Fall, how am I supposed to play all these awesome games?!?

I have Mirror's Edge and Dead Space sitting here unopened still. Keep getting tempted away from games I'd very likely enjoy.

Downloading the Steam demo now. Hopefully you don't have to "unlock" the gas canister.

Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll set this to DL while I make my errand rounds this afternoon.